Will 11.3 address regens?

Hi,

i think that regens aren't working that well. I'm in 2020 and now i can't find good regens like i did when they appeared for the 1st time on my second or third season (can't remember exactly). the better ones have PA of 3 or 3.5, and not that special attributes. There's should be a bunch of real superstars being generated over and over, otherwise, the game will lose interest over time, cause all player will be bad.

is this normal behavior? if not, will 11.3 fix this?

thanks.

How many different leagues do you have loaded? I think the quality of the regens depends a lot on how many countries leagues you have loaded. Personally Ive been running 11 different nations, and if anything, I've noticed the opposite, theres too many amazing regens in my saves, especially from South America

They're fine for me.

Natural Fitness a bit dodgy, the only major problem I have is that the right wingers are awful, having to retrain players to play on the right, even strikers.

I mean this is the best right sided winger I could find (highest valued should be known as well, there may be better but can't find it from the top 20 or so valued and cba to see if other's are there, I've tried searching for fast right wingers before and all I got was trash tbh), not even good enough for my side, bit concerning. As someone who always uses formations with wingers this makes things a lot harder.

ederhidalgoprofileattri.png

As the quality of your players increases, star ratings for other players will decrease, because stars are relative, not absolute. The potential to be a 3.5 star player means he could be slightly better than your current players.

How many different leagues do you have loaded? I think the quality of the regens depends a lot on how many countries leagues you have loaded. Personally Ive been running 11 different nations, and if anything, I've noticed the opposite, theres too many amazing regens in my saves, especially from South America

I notice this in quite alot of my games too but i also think its just random. I have 12 leagues loaded with also quite a few load players from and sometimes the games full of em but other games i struggle to find a decent player.

i just have one league loaded

As the quality of your players increases, star ratings for other players will decrease, because stars are relative, not absolute. The potential to be a 3.5 star player means he could be slightly better than your current players.

are you sure on this? never eard that stars were relative, where can i confirm this?

i will show you the players i found early in the game, and now i can't find anything even close, neither does my network buddy. After getting those, i was expecting that over the years, some more would appear, like i said, were on 2020 now.

These are some of my TOP players (and world top players, every one wants them), just from my team, my network buddy has other good ones, and i got them all early in the game.

33426979.png

40483684.png

87503414.png

87054396.png

• Administrators

Yeah the scouting stars are most definitely relative - it takes into account your clubs standing (Champions League team, top tier team etc) and the best player (and young player) who plays in the position you are looking sign for. For example if you were Barcelona, it'd be highly unlikely you'd be able to find a 5 star player anywhere, because no-one in the world will be that much better than your current squad who play at the highest level.

Yeah the scouting stars are most definitely relative - it takes into account your clubs standing (Champions League team, top tier team etc) and the best player (and young player) who plays in the position you are looking sign for. For example if you were Barcelona, it'd be highly unlikely you'd be able to find a 5 star player anywhere, because no-one in the world will be that much better than your current squad who play at the highest level.

That's new to me, my bad, being an CM/FM gamer since the pre historical cm italia :(

but, even so, just looking at the attributes, i can't find players looking like those i got earlyer, for example, PAULO, LUCAS GOMEZ and SERGIO LOPEZ, are outstanding players, i even got an offer of 40M i refused for BUIJS (he was valued at 10M, it would be my highest sale ever).

the most expensive player in the game, it's valued at 35M and it belongs to my network mate, and it's a newgen from around the same time as mine, my lucas gomez is valued at 34.5M, so, these are world top players.

the question is, should i be getting more players like these on 2020? or never again? or on which year?

how does this works.

Thank you.

I think that's the problem then mate. On my old laptop, I was only able to load England, Italy and Spain, and I also noticed a lack of regens after a certain amount of seasons. Since I got my new one, which is much faster and allows me to load more countries leagues, I'm getting brilliant regens suggested by my scouts left, right and centre.

i just have one league loaded

Does anyone else think that there are to many 'Ready made' Regens? In my opinion, there are tonnes of Regens who have various attributes like Dribbling, Tackling & Finishing etc. are well above 18. Personally, I much prefer to sign 'Un-Polished' Gem's that I can sign & build them up. :thup:

i generally see those regens come from countries that i don't have loaded. Regens from unloaded leagues can appear at any age from 15 to 20 i think, so some of them are already well developed.

I think that's the problem then mate. On my old laptop, I was only able to load England, Italy and Spain, and I also noticed a lack of regens after a certain amount of seasons. Since I got my new one, which is much faster and allows me to load more countries leagues, I'm getting brilliant regens suggested by my scouts left, right and centre.

if that's the case, then i think it should be fixed, even the leagues aren't loaded, the regens should not decrease in quality or quantity.

if that's the case, then i think it should be fixed, even the leagues aren't loaded, the regens should not decrease in quality or quantity.

why? You're loading a smaller database yet you expect that database size to grow when regens come into the game. What about the people who can't handle large databases on their computers?

The regens don't decrease in quality anyway its just that theres less of them so you're less likely to find a superstar and less likely to put a team together of superstars.

Good wingers can be hard to find at the best of times. (think it has somthing to do with two footedness and pace taking up a lot of their CA)

Fm07 was the last time i was realy happy with the quality of newgens.

Glad to see some guys like Neil taking an interest in this though.

why? You're loading a smaller database yet you expect that database size to grow when regens come into the game. What about the people who can't handle large databases on their computers?

The regens don't decrease in quality anyway its just that theres less of them so you're less likely to find a superstar and less likely to put a team together of superstars.

I don't agree with your point, the database is the same that allowed me to FIND all of those on the 1st or 2nd year of the game, TEN years have passed (we're on 2021 now, i think i have a bit of data to compare, not talking about 1 or 2 seasons) and neither me or my network mate can't find anything even close to these players.

So, the issue is clear, as time passes, regen quality/quantity decreases, i'm witnessing that in my save, that's what i can talk about. The devs can easily check the regen routines, and see if the thing i'm complaining is a programming issue or just bad luck on my save.

I don't agree with your point, the database is the same that allowed me to FIND all of those on the 1st or 2nd year of the game, TEN years have passed (we're on 2021 now, i think i have a bit of data to compare, not talking about 1 or 2 seasons) and neither me or my network mate can't find anything even close to these players.

You just got lucky the first year or two. And I'd say you're dismissing og good players (on the mis-apprehension of stars being abosolute ratings) may have meant you missing out on a few players who would later blossom. I had that a few times on FM10.

And my last point being that CA/PA ratings are not all. My two best players in my big FM10 save were a 151CA/PA CB and a 148 CA/PA AMR who had the right mix of attributes in the proper areas combined with stong hidden stats, meaning that they were both often keeping out player 20+ CA points higher than them. It's how you train them (sometimes a bit lucky) combined with how they're played which make the good players truly great.

Although SI claim to do a lot of testing around future regens, I've never been happy with the overall quality of them, particularly with their attribute spread based on their positioning (Centrebacks with 20 freekick taking and 3 tackling). But I don't think its ever been a priority. The amount of players who get far enough into a game that regens are all that's left is tiny.

Stars and reports are all i can have, and my appreciation of how the player plays on my tactic, i never used any tool to see those kind of number you refer to on CA/PA, so i have to get good reports, and then test them on my team to see if they're good enough or not for me.

i think we're getting away from the point i intended, all i wanted to know from the devs is if regens have any problems or not along the time, on my conditions, just 1 league loaded. And it's like captainplanet (and others) said, i don't think that a lot of people play the game this far and pay attention to regens, maybe, even the devs don't look at this that much, that's why i raised this question.

i would say regens are very much at the top of the things they are constantly looking they have said this on various occasions, regens are in the game from day one so they play a huge part of the game, if you have a small database and only one league loaded it means you either want a quick game or your computer is not up to task, if you really want to get into a long term save you need a much bigger database so the game generates more players. Remember the game will try and keep the level of players around the same, so smaller amount of players to begin with means smaller amount of regens.

• SI Staff
Although SI claim to do a lot of testing around future regens, I've never been happy with the overall quality of them, particularly with their attribute spread based on their positioning (Centrebacks with 20 freekick taking and 3 tackling). But I don't think its ever been a priority. The amount of players who get far enough into a game that regens are all that's left is tiny.

We do not just claim to do a lot of testing around newgens, we DO alot of testing and analysis with the newgens. We not only analyse the overall amount of players in certain CA/PA ranges (190+, 170-180 etc.) as well as average CA/PA's but we also test and analyse the spread of individual attributes to make sure over a long period of time the average of each attribute stays around the same as it was with the starting DB as well as the number of very high values in each attribute stays around the same. Not only do we analyse these things across all the players, we do similar analysis for each position to make sure the balance of the key attributes for each position stays sane over a long period of time.

Just to check upon a few attribute issues raised above and elsewhere in similar topics, I loaded up a soak from 2030 and had a quick look at some newgens based on their attributes:

DC's with Jumping 5 or lower: 52 found out of 1533. Reason for low jumping attribute in all cases is their short height, all players are under 180cm. Some of these players are D/M C.

DC's with 20 freekick taking and 3 tackling: none out of 1533.

DC's with 15+ freekick taking and 5 or less in tackling: none out of 1533.

"Worst" combo of freekick taking and tackling found on a DC: 18 and 8 on a player who was D/M C

"Worst" combo of freekick taking and tackling found on a natural DC: 9 and 9.

I'm not saying the current system is 100% perfect and we are definitely going to keep on working to improve the newgen module in the future. However some of the statements made in the forums about us either not caring at all about the newgens or not testing them seem a bit harsh imho. Especially when they are spiced up with over exaggerated generalizations :)

One issue with running a small amount of leagues is, just like has been stated in this thread earlier, that there are less newgens created naturally. Because inactive leagues start with fewer players loaded up and the game will try to maintain a similar amount of players in each nation over time, this naturally means there will be less newgens created each year in the inactive nations. Also, the fact that with inactive nations only the good or potentially good players are loaded up at the start makes it look like every newgen that ever comes through the inactive nations should be really good as well. The game does try and maintain the average PA balance over time in inactive nations as well, but due to the game starting with just the best players across different age groups in the inactive nations, it may appear that the amount of good players is diluted over time.

P.S. It may well have been easier to have great newgens appear in your youth team in some earlier versions of the game. For example there was a specific piece of code in the game earlier that made it more common for a better newgen to appear at a human club. To keep things more realistic and the newgen production more balanced, this was tuned down a few years back.

One issue with running a small amount of leagues is, just like has been stated in this thread earlier, that there are less newgens created naturally. Because inactive leagues start with fewer players loaded up and the game will try to maintain a similar amount of players in each nation over time, this naturally means there will be less newgens created each year in the inactive nations. Also, the fact that with inactive nations only the good or potentially good players are loaded up at the start makes it look like every newgen that ever comes through the inactive nations should be really good as well. The game does try and maintain the average PA balance over time in inactive nations as well, but due to the game starting with just the best players across different age groups in the inactive nations, it may appear that the amount of good players is diluted over time.

This as answered my doubts, thanks for replying.

About only having 1 league loaded, this is a network only game, and my mate gets slow response, so we tried to keep de DB as small as possible, both of us have highend machines and network lines, but the screens just don't move as fast as a local game, i finish my match and he isn't even on second half, it's just the way the game is, slow on online matches.

i also reported an abnormal delay just for him to connect, it's well over 10 minutes just to connect to the save, because of all this, we decided to use just 1 league database.

I'm not saying the current system is 100% perfect and we are definitely going to keep on working to improve the newgen module in the future. However some of the statements made in the forums about us either not caring at all about the newgens or not testing them seem a bit harsh imho. Especially when they are spiced up with over exaggerated generalizations :)

Aye, I was over-exaggerating a tad :) And my experiences only reach up to FM09 which I still play, so further regen advances may have been made since then. Although I have seen a lot of people post threads over the last couple of years that suggests FM10 didn't have the best regen attribute spread and there are still posts talking about the FM11 ones.

So although I was fanning the flames a bit, there has been some smoke causing it brought on by experiences in previous versions.

Example

• SI Staff

Yes, contrary to what some people might claim on the forums, we've not just sat idle over the years and let things linger with the newgen code. Since FM2009 there have been quite a lot of advancements in the newgen module, so I would suggest trying FM2011 to have a proper look yourself. Back in FM2009, that kind of examples were possible since some of the attributes were not directly linked to specific positions and were more detached from the CA/PA than they are now. It's all just the code evolving year after year, getting more and more refined.

Riz, what about the issue of newgens having only 'Natural' or 'Accomplished' for positions?

I have never seen a newgen born with 'competent' for any postion. Newgens generally have natural for one or two positions and maybe the odd third accomplished. Not realistic or in line with real players coded into the game.

I had a world class newgen with natural for AMR & AMC. That was it. He was considered 'ineffective - can't play there according to the manual' for MR, ML, AML, ST & MC. Not right. Should be natural for MR & accomplished or competent for the others. High technical and mental attributes in all areas, as well as 6'0", strong and quick

My only real issues with the newgens these days are firstly that too many great players come through from random nations... amazing Uzbekistani's, Hondurans or my current amazing striker, who is from Mozambique, wheras I am playing in Croatia and not a single decent Croatian has come through (I was puzzled why my national team started to suck bad, downloaded genie scout and discovered no Croat's had come through with over 140 PA).

Secondly the lack of good natural wingers as people have said before. I've been forced to play a far more narrow formation because of this and the wealth of great CM's. Wingers and AMC's also seem to lack any flair later on in the game, or it becomes extremely rare.

Thirdly, youth facilities seem to have very little impact on the quality of newgen.... in my active league at least. Still, I am noticing that Barcelona for example are producing most of the Spanish talent, which in previous versions, would have come through Hospitalet or someone ridiculous (I remember America (MG) in Brazil being the primary source of the worlds talent in my FM09 save!

Lastly, the goalkeepers... So few have any rushing out ability later in the game, and even less fit my search terms for a GK (which at the start, gives me hundreds of GK's on a search), usually due to rushing out, but also determination begins to lack.

All this being said, I'm far happier with the newgens in this version than previously, just not in Croatia :p

• SI Staff

There is code to setup related midfield positions to attacking midfielders, but occasionally there are some that slip through with only one or two natural positions. We are planning on re-writing most of the newgen position code in the future anyhow, so this part of the code would most likely get reviewed again then as well.

"Rushing out" is not a typical attribute that is tied to ability, but it is rather a "tendency", which means "how often they are likely to rush out" iirc. So it is one of those attributes where a high value is not necessarily a better thing or a low value isn't that detrimental.

There is code to setup related midfield positions to attacking midfielders, but occasionally there are some that slip through with only one or two natural positions. We are planning on re-writing most of the newgen position code in the future anyhow, so this part of the code would most likely get reviewed again then as well.

Good to hear.

It's not only with midfielders though, the whole system could certainly do with reviewing.

I had another player who was natural CB & MC but 'ineffectual' for DM! Frustrating.

Ive seen players born natural WBR but ineffectual for DR or MR!

I've played the last 3 or so FMs quite a bit (also pay quite a lot of attention to the stats, using scouting tools) and I'm pretty sure this one is the best in terms of the regens having "normal" stats for their position and having a distribution of stats overall that makes sense. Also noticed that many high CA/PA regens naturally have high determination and professionalism; this probably makes sure that they progress well enough that the game doesn't run out of decent players that you don't nurture yourself.

In fact the link between determination and PA seems so strong I decided to check it out on my save (4.5 seasons in):

Out of 19 regens aged 20 and below with 20 determination:

5 have 180 or higher PA

3 have 170-179

1 has 160-169

7 have 150-159

Only 3 have below 150 PA

Looks to me it's a good bet to snap up any regen with 20 determination!

Regens are a lot less frustrating nowadays compared to in the past where you could get someone with 185 PA but stats all over the place and you had to retrain/tutor them like crazy to make something out of them.

• SI Staff
Good to hear.

It's not only with midfielders though, the whole system could certainly do with reviewing.

Yes, we are planning on re-writing the whole code that sets up the newgen positions. This work would include not only the natural positions but the starting levels for other positions in relation to the natural ones.

As for the above note on determination: it is not directly linked to CA/PA with newgens, but because most of the real players in the DB with high CA's have had a very high determination usually set, the same kind of ratio has been applied to newgens to reflect this. That however does not guarantee that every newgen with a high determination has a high PA to go with it.

The thing with Determination is one of those attributes where I think the way real players are rated in the DB somewhat conflicts with the game concepts. There are a number of attributes in the game that should in theory (in game concept) be independent of CA/PA, so even the lower level players can be as brave or determined for example as the superstars in the big leagues. However usually when players get rated by humans, all the attributes are somewhat affected by the human perception of the overall level of the player. So high level players tend to get these kind of attributes ranked higher and low level players lower on average. The game can do this properly with newgens, giving out values in the full 1-20 range for these kind of attributes regardless of the overall level of the player. However with some attributes (like Flair for example, which is a tendency in game concept) the link to CA/PA in the DB seems strong enough to cause the game created newgens with weaker links between these attributes and the CA/PA look "bugged". So in some cases we've had to balance things more towards how the attributes are linked in the DB.

Archived