Daily new features at shortlist.com

• SI Staff

This week, because the blogs over at HMV have changed to being more indepth looks at some of the new features in FM09, shortlist.com have a bunch of new FM09 features to talk about, and are putting them live on their website each day.

Today (Wednesday) they have just announced the camera angles for the match engine that are in the final game - www.shortlist.com if you want to see!

Those few pictures have got me thinking - the 3D view is going to almost revolutionise the game. I mean, it actually looks like football! Maybe I'm being premature, but this view is going to change the way we approach the game (or at least matches). Don't get me wrong, the 2D view did the best job it could of replicating football, but this 3D malarky really looks the business.

Can anyone tell I'm excited?

Those few pictures have got me thinking - the 3D view is going to almost revolutionise the game. I mean, it actually looks like football! Maybe I'm being premature, but this view is going to change the way we approach the game (or at least matches). Don't get me wrong, the 2D view did the best job it could of replicating football, but this 3D malarky really looks the business.

Yeah I can tell but so am I!

Liking the way way you have added the shadow to the 2D icons as well. Its sort of 2.5 D, if that makes sence.

I wasn't anticipating 3D but was asking for this sort of addidtion to the 2d, now we have both.

Good stuff Miles and all the rest of the team.

I don't know if people have noticed this, but it will significantly imporove the 2d for all the traditionalists out there.

I cannot wait either. I think that, certainly from a tactical perspective it will aid us in determining the weaknesses and strengths of both ourselves and the opposition, enabling a greater tactical subtelty to win games (from an analytical perspective). Oh, and it just looks awesome (from a fun point of view!).

It is very good, although i sometimes forget that im the manager rather than the viewer. Its very easy to forget that you need to make changes and read the other data rather than just watch the 'TV'.:rolleyes:

It is very good, although i sometimes forget that im the manager rather than the viewer. Its very easy to forget that you need to make changes and read the other data rather than just watch the 'TV'.:rolleyes:

I hadn't thought of that! I'm gonna have to keep my wits about me.

Yeah, they all look great.

But when the image is zoomed in, you can't move them about. On the ones I look at zoomed in, I could only see players who have black short hair and white skin.

Does this mean that almost all players will look the same?

I think it has been said the difference's in a players looks will be height, weight (i think) hair colour and skin colour.

my biggest complaint in previous fm's was the dot were to big and you couldnt see whether the players were doing a good run or a brilliant pass but now its all changed i love the new video and the 3d is going to be awsome im wetting my pants roll on the 14th nov.

ps am i the only one who carnt bring them selfs to play 08 anymore becuase of 09 lol

Not trying to to be pessemistic here but i think those who are used to fifa etc will be in for a massive dissapointment with the 3D mode. Its not exactly going to be flowing football is it.

Do you not think it will be like robots playing football?

Not trying to to be pessemistic here but i think those who are used to fifa etc will be in for a massive dissapointment with the 3D mode. Its not exactly going to be flowing football is it.

All we've seen are little snapshot pictures. But I highly doubt it will be like watching robot. Someone from SI (I forget who and where!) said that it will be full of boring passages of play if you watch the full match. The point he was making is that they've tried to make it as realistic as possible. And, as we know, a large percentage of football matches can be taken up by periods where nothing much happens. But my point is just that I don't think it will be like watching robots. I'm sure it will be plenty free-flowing, too. Of course it won't be like FIFA, but it isn't meant to be and it doesn't need to be.

Graphically it won't be able to compare to FIFA Manager, but it WILL look more like free-flowing football than FIFA Manager, as the FM match engine is much better imo. The 3D view uses the same match engine as 2D, it's just a different presentation of it.

Archived