pundit watch EURO 2012!

sebs

• Administrators

Dan Walker asked Shearer what he thought about Huntelaar on the Football Focus preview last night and he basically ignored the question, clearly having little clue who the **** he actually was. Started talking about Van Persie instead.

didn't shearer call hatem ben arfa an unknown gem that newcastle just plucked out of the ether or somesuch equivalent?

i enjoyed hansen's birthday in wc2010 where basically he moaned that people were tuning in to watch slovenia vs algeria and implied that he resented being brought into the studio instead of playing golf.

Shearer is the absolute worst. Some of his performances at WC2010 were shambolic - "We don't know much about these two" etc. WELL ****ING READ UP THEN.

Exactly, we are paying his wages and he doesn't even bother to research the teams. Most of the people watching knew more about them so it was pointless having a numpty like Shearer there, would be better off following the lead of The Apprentice : You're Fired and stick a random comedian on the end who knows nothing about the subject but will provide a few laughs.

Shearer is truly clueless, his 'insight' on that Euro 2012 programme last night was diabolical.

I wouldn't say he didn't know who Huntelaar is though, seemed to know about his reputation and that was it, as to be fair he did say he'd start him.

Shearer is beyond the others, he's up there with his lack of knowledge and seeming joy in his lack of knowledge. His 'insight' is hopeless. Guarantee he'll just re-word what someone else on the panel says when he's doing CL stuff.

As for Hansen you just know he copy and pasted that from another tournament and just thought 'yeah, I'll go with these 3 for the semis'

• Administrators

To be fair to Hansen I do buy Lineker's excuse, I think they were clearly asked for favourites and dark horses and then the editor put the 1/2/3/4 text above their thoughts when it didn't really correlate. It's not unrealistic to expect a contender to come out of that group however it shapes up.

I've often felt like this in the past, but there's a couple excellent pundits atm in Portugal, and I think that job's a lot tougher than it seems, difficult to be outspoken all game/show long, whilst not making any gaffes.

As for Portugal's pundits, I think Pedro Henriques and Luis Freitas Lobo from SportTV are brilliant, but am a little worried about the open channel pundits, TVI and SIC's lineups tend to be catastrophic, and RTP's Hélder Conduto is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah to be fair to Hansen he's clearly picking three teams that he thinks could win it, not calling three out of the four semi finalists. That Mirror article is cringeworthy.

For all MOTD's faults, the non-news stories from the anti-BBC lobby are far worse.

This is what Barry Glendenning said he's most excited about at Euro 2012

Seeing what new depths of ignorance BBC pundit Alan Shearer can plumb in his pre-match analysis of any teams located further east on the map of Europe than England.

Which is rich coming from Glendenning works for the Guardian but hardly seems to know anything himself :/

Have to say it was a spectularly half arsed edition of MOTD2 last night - first they showed Ireland's game first without revealing the Spain-Italy result, ripping away the winner-knows-they-can-go-top context. Plus they managed to get through the full commentary and studio analysis of the Croatia's "offside" goal without noticing the ball came off an Irish player.

The Grauniad says ITV's coverage is better than the Beeb's, but cautions that that's mainly by default

We're only four days into the tournament but already the BBC's coverage has been so dismal that for ITV to blow this now it would have to slip back into its old habit of accidentally cutting away from goals to either advertise minty sweeties or show footage of unwitting ITN newscasters at rest, rummaging around furtively in their trousers while whistling jauntily.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/11/euro-2012-bbc-worse-than-itv

At one point Savage forgot which country he had just been asked to offer an opinion on.

Thought that bit was hilarious. Got halfway through his answer and then stopped and said to Colin Murray: "Wait, who are we talking about - Poland or Greece?" :D

Adrian Chiles does my nut in. Irrationally so. I swear at times I can see Roy Keane wanting to shake his head and give it "you pr*ick". But that said think Keane might look at his own mum like that. However, have to agree with him on Chiles.

I know he's a presenter and not a pundit, but Adrian Chiles really is the worst.

He can barely form sentences, says such pointless things, and ALWAYS cuts off the pundits mid sentence, butchering any point they try to make with his own inane summations.

I often have to switch over during ITV's build ups because I hate him so.

Got a little fed up with the pundits after the Sweden/Ukraine match going on about "If France and England have watched this they won't have seen anything to worry them"

Did any of them consider that if Sweden and Ukraine watched the earlier match they didn't see all that much to worry them either? I still think England and France will make it out of the group, but doubt it'll be as easy as some of those pundits reckon.

Got a little fed up with the pundits after the Sweden/Ukraine match going on about "If France and England have watched this they won't have seen anything to worry them"

Did any of them consider that if Sweden and Ukraine watched the earlier match they didn't see all that much to worry them either? I still think England and France will make it out of the group, but doubt it'll be as easy as some of those pundits reckon.

Yeah, that was daft.Both England and (to a lesser extent) France have enough significant weaknesses that they're not a million miles better than Sweden and Ukraine. Maybe a few better individuals, but it's not a massive gulf. They're all second or third tier teams at the moment. France have the potential to be better.

Must admit to being slightly impressed that the commentators finally used the phrase that Ireland "are out of their depth" after 1 1/2 halves of making excuses. First decent non-politically correct thing I've heard from either British channel this tournament.

Jim Beglin has proved again and again in this tournament he's the best co-commentator by miles. Pearce/Lawrenson yesterday was almost unlistenable.

Beglin made one tiny mistake, when he said he was surprised that McGeady was playing on the right wing, when his natural position is on the left wing. His natural position is (as much as he as one) on the right, which is Spartak mostly use him I believe - he just played a lot on the left for Celtic under Strachan, who loved to put wingers on the 'wrong' wing, and seems to have done the same for Ireland. I suppose it's an easy mistake to make.

Other than that, yes, he's the best by far.

Archived