Trying to maintain my integrity - Corners!

Guys,

Quick question. I know that many versions have had a corner bug in them where scoring from corners was "easy".

Does the latest FM2011 patch have one?

Reason I ask is that Jagielka in my save scores about 1 every 2 games or creates one from near post corners. The reason for my hesitation however is that my previous teams in the same Patch never managed it so whether I've lucked out in finding a good corner taker/attacking movement pairing or whether it's a "cheat" I'm not sure.

Recommendations guys?

There do seem to be a large amount of corners scored on this patch. My center back has a lot of goals this year, and I haven't even tweaked the settings. However, having a good corner taker, as well as a tall, strong defender, with good jumping and heading, is bound to yield rewards.

Braundjoh....agreed re: players.

However Jagielka has near 20 goals...with more assists too. I used to get a lot scored against me too.

Just wondering whether I've just hit jackpot in terms of the combo I have!

Yes there are various ways in FM11 that yield a high number of goals from corners.

If your DC is scoring in excess of of 10 and/or your team is significantly ahead of others in the league in "Goals from Corners" then I would look to change the orders.

Personally I find keeping the DCs off the far post is enough to produce realistic results.

I usually score the most corner goals in the league, but not by too large a margin. Between 15 and 25 league goals is normal, which is roughly 1/4 or 1/5 in my tactic - and that is quite realistic I think.

The four central defenders in my team(s) usually score 3-7 goals each per season, and have a similar number of assists. I don't think any CD of mine has ever scored more than 10 goals in a season (including the cups).

My corner instructions are very normal - one attacking far, one near, one near post flick, one standing on far, two staying back, one challenging keeper, one lurking, two needed. Crossing to is mixed, but I make sure the corners are bent/curled inwards (inverted-footed takers).

A goal every other game is quite high, so perhaps you have stumbled across an exploit.

I keep all my corner settings on default to avoid any advantages.

Well a friend of mine used that "exploit" to the near post. His defender scored like 20 goals a season, but on the other hand none of the other players scored any. I totaled the same amount with the top CD goalscorer at 7 I think.

Isn't 1/5 goals from corners the average last year in RL Premier League?

If leaving it on default is exploiting the AI, I'm not sure what I should be doing :S.

If your interested in keeping your save "realistic" then just look at the number of goals your DCs are scoring and how many "goals from corners" you score compared to other teams in the league. If either are high then personally I would change the orders.

I have the opposite approach here. I reckon that if there were a Corner Cheat in real life, real managers would exploit it. Therefore, as I am roleplaying a manager in a universe that has the Corner Cheat, it is reasonable for me to exploit it also.

If your interested in keeping your save "realistic" then just look at the number of goals your DCs are scoring and how many "goals from corners" you score compared to other teams in the league. If either are high then personally I would change the orders.

This is what I was going to say.

You can check the team stats for a league and see if you are scoring more than your fair share of corners. I'm the same, personally I'll change things if I'm scoring far too many.

80% of goals in FM11 are from corners or the goalkeeper assist bug. most annoying thing is these problems existed from 11.1 to 11.3 and some lads didnt bother to fix it.

What is the goalkeeper assist bug?

I've had a look and 25% of my league goals have come from corners, which is a lot but not the most in the league (30%). My keeper has no assists, the most I can find is one from any other.

Setting them to either near or far post will rack a lot of goals, setting them to mixed will still rack a lot of goals, setting the center backs to go forward instead of near or far post will decrease the number of goals from my experience.

I hope it's more balanced on FM12, when you go out of your way to make sure you don't score a lot of goals from corners(even with default instructions) then you know it's something wrong with the game on this department.

I use default corner instructions, and yes, my DC score a fair amount of goals from corners, but there's now way default corner instructions is "exploiting" that's like saying using soap to clean is cheating, it's just natural and intended, else it wouldn't be default.

The amount of goals scored from corners is not over the top in my eyes, a lot of goals are scored from corners IRL too, it's just IRL it's not usually all central defenders scoring, it would be more spread out, sometimes be a tall striker or a midfielder, wheras in FM, it's always the DC, at least in 99% of cases. I have never seen a striker score from corners for me, but then again, I use the default instruction so he's never in the "best" place.

So like I said, people wouldnt be all O_o if it was sometimes other players that reached the ball apart from the DC.

I use default corner instructions, and yes, my DC score a fair amount of goals from corners, but there's now way default corner instructions is "exploiting" that's like saying using soap to clean is cheating, it's just natural and intended, else it wouldn't be default.

The amount of goals scored from corners is not over the top in my eyes, a lot of goals are scored from corners IRL too, it's just IRL it's not usually all central defenders scoring, it would be more spread out, sometimes be a tall striker or a midfielder, wheras in FM, it's always the DC, at least in 99% of cases. I have never seen a striker score from corners for me, but then again, I use the default instruction so he's never in the "best" place.

So like I said, people wouldnt be all O_o if it was sometimes other players that reached the ball apart from the DC.

If you score 30+ goals a season from corners when all other teams in the league score <20 there is a problem whether you use default instructions or not.

As is always said its your save, do as you please but if you think your not exploiting a weakness in the game you're deluding yourself.

What is the goalkeeper assist bug?

I've had a look and 25% of my league goals have come from corners, which is a lot but not the most in the league (30%). My keeper has no assists, the most I can find is one from any other.

goalkeeper shoots> midfielder heads> striker is 1-on-1

The corners really annoy me, especially as in the league your playing in teams on average have 10+ goals scored from corners every season while in leagues your not playing in are normal, it's annoying and I've found it's inflated the goalscoring figures [iE I have players scoring 40 goals a season just in the league.

Just wanted to continue by saying I've started a new season and Jagielka hasn't scored yet. Corners are set the same but I've noticed in pre-season that defenders are marking him tightly and getting there first. Maybe all will change when I get into the season.

I don't like to think I'm cheating, so as long as I know that if a defender was better he would shut out Jags I'm happy. If that turns out not to be the case then I have a feeling it'll ruin my gameplay experience. I don't like to be learning ways to circumvent the engine's flaws (tactics...don't get me started), let alone having to learn ways to stop myself exploiting it!!

If you score 30+ goals a season from corners when all other teams in the league score <20 there is a problem whether you use default instructions or not.

As is always said its your save, do as you please but if you think your not exploiting a weakness in the game you're deluding yourself.

So what you are saying is that SI have programmed an exploit as a default setting in the game?

It doesn't help that you face stuff like this:

pVeIV.png

So what you are saying is that SI have programmed an exploit as a default setting in the game?

Not intentionally of course but unfortunately with some defenders/corner takers it can result in an exploit situation.

It doesn't help that you face stuff like this:

pVeIV.png

Not entirely sure what your getting at here, height of the defenders perhaps?

If so it could well be a factor although those two are both DRCs.

Yes height.

They are DRCs but, clearly set as DCs, the formation was 3-5-2.

OK, but I echo Cougar's sentiments. What are you getting at?

A player of 5.9 is equally adept, if not more so of scoring from a corner at the near post....speed, acceleration play a big part in getting there before the defender meaning a jumping, physical confrontation is avoided.

Either or..the fact remains that I'm scoring lots of goals by setting Jagielka to attack near post and setting my corner taker (Zhirkov) to whip it into the near!

OK, but I echo Cougar's sentiments. What are you getting at?

A player of 5.9 is equally adept, if not more so of scoring from a corner at the near post....speed, acceleration play a big part in getting there before the defender meaning a jumping, physical confrontation is avoided.

Either or..the fact remains that I'm scoring lots of goals by setting Jagielka to attack near post and setting my corner taker (Zhirkov) to whip it into the near!

You've got hold of the wrong end of the stick. These are the defenders I faced, they are supposed to stop me scoring.

You've got hold of the wrong end of the stick. These are the defenders I faced, they are supposed to stop me scoring.

Yes I figured that.

Its certainly an area that can be improved.

The current ME seems to mean that small defenders underperform while tall defenders overperform. Maybe this is fair when you look at real life teams but it certainly seems a little exaggerated within FM. Then we have the issue that human users recognise this and sign taller DCs while the AI doesn't.

Yes I figured that.

Its certainly an area that can be improved.

The current ME seems to mean that small defenders underperform while tall defenders overperform. Maybe this is fair when you look at real life teams but it certainly seems a little exaggerated within FM. Then we have the issue that human users recognise this and sign taller DCs while the AI doesn't.

Cougar2010, that was a response to Wiggz' post. I agree with what you say here though.

They could be 6'9 instead of 5'9 but given most of the time defenders just stand still at set pieces, I doubt it would make a difference. The majority of goals I see from set pieces are completely unmarked headers.

They could be 6'9 instead of 5'9 but given most of the time defenders just stand still at set pieces, I doubt it would make a difference. The majority of goals I see from set pieces are completely unmarked headers.

Thats the animations you are seeing.

The ME has calculated a goal will be scored by player X (maybe partly due to his off the ball movement/anticipation etc) and picks the animation that best shows that. It isn't about about the players standing around doing nothing.

Ahh yes okay. Having said that though the same remains true. If the defenders were Zonal marking, they might well be in a better position to stop your roving defender in any case.

The whole reason I started this thread was that I wanted to see if 17 goals for my central defender (about 12 headers from corners) was excessive. I'd say it was by about 5....with him having a VERY good season. So not miles out. However I simply wanted a definitive answer based on the match engine make up.....but it seems I'm not going to get one. I wonder if any player would stop Jagielka scoring a goal he has scored (if that makes sense) or whether it is indeed a bug.

Ahh yes okay. Having said that though the same remains true. If the defenders were Zonal marking, they might well be in a better position to stop your roving defender in any case.

The whole reason I started this thread was that I wanted to see if 17 goals for my central defender (about 12 headers from corners) was excessive. I'd say it was by about 5....with him having a VERY good season. So not miles out. However I simply wanted a definitive answer based on the match engine make up.....but it seems I'm not going to get one. I wonder if any player would stop Jagielka scoring a goal he has scored (if that makes sense) or whether it is indeed a bug.

It is a bug in the sense that it is impossible to mark their/your 202cm, 20-in-everything-aerial-related behemoth with more than one player. It is always mano-y-mano, and therefore it becomes a matter of who-is-first-on-the-ball rather than tactical knowledge or anything else.

I would also suggest a bit of scepticism towards what you see when you score on a corner. The ME calculates that you score a goal on the corner, finds a suiting animation and then shows it to you. Needless to say, that animation will involve some kind of defensive shortcoming and/or attacking genious because otherwise the animation wouldn't show a goal to you...

Once you realize this, you will be able to immediately spot at least a CCC happening from the moment the animation loads. For instance, if a player misses a tackle the team having the ball will create a CCC. Two missed tackles/interceptions in a row is in my experience a goal 9/10 times or higher. When the animation starts with a corner/free-kick that is easily picked up by the keeper, who throws it to one of their defenders, that team will create a CCC and most likely a goal. When you get a corner or free-kick from open play (that has lasted a little while) nothing comes out of it no matter how many times the defenders clears the ball to another corner - while animations starting with the set piece taker taking the corner/free-kick immediately often leads to a goal.

Be warned about frustration and liberal use of the FF-speed setting :/

Once you realize this, you will be able to immediately spot at least a CCC happening from the moment the animation loads. For instance, if a player misses a tackle the team having the ball will create a CCC. Two missed tackles/interceptions in a row is in my experience a goal 9/10 times or higher. When the animation starts with a corner/free-kick that is easily picked up by the keeper, who throws it to one of their defenders, that team will create a CCC and most likely a goal. When you get a corner or free-kick from open play (that has lasted a little while) nothing comes out of it no matter how many times the defenders clears the ball to another corner - while animations starting with the set piece taker taking the corner/free-kick immediately often leads to a goal.

Be warned about frustration and liberal use of the FF-speed setting :/

Oh, dear, if that's true, it makes watching highlights really, really boring and useless. If I ever play the game enough to spot the pattern, I'll revert to commentary only to leave some suspense.

Archived