Live adverts?

Just fired up FM10 and noticed pitchside ESPN adverts for Chelsea v. West Brom, Sat 20th Aug at 4.45pm.

Is this a new thing?

Not sure i like it.

Smart Adverts. Worming their way directly into my FM experience?

I don't want it to happen.

Can I switch them off?

Am I being watched?

Watch it...they could be watching us now...

• SI Staff
Is this a new thing that's just happened today?

I've not tweaked preferences and i don't recall ever having seen it before and i've been playing every night for the last couple of weeks.

Seriously, its a bit too stealth for my liking.

The adverts around the pitch will occasionally change. There have been a few threads about it over the past couple of years. I think there was a movie advertised at some point and maybe pizza. Can't remember.

Yeah you always get new advertisements every now and then in FM. :) I like it, it's realistic :)

Realistic?

The OP's playing a match in July 2009 and sees an ad for a match in Aug 2011? another poster is playing in 2022 and sees an ad for a match from 11 years previously? Realistic???

Realistic?

The OP's playing a match in July 2009 and sees an ad for a match in Aug 2011? another poster is playing in 2022 and sees an ad for a match from 11 years previously? Realistic???

Are you suggesting they should advertise matches taking place 11 years in the future then?

Realistic?

What a ridiculous thing to say, you're just complaining for complainings sake here.

Are you serious?
Are you suggesting they should advertise matches taking place 11 years in the future then?
What a ridiculous thing to say, you're just complaining for complainings sake here.

i think he is just saying that it isn't overly realistic to see an ad for a game that 'happened' 20 years ago in your save. phnompenhandy isn't normally a complainer so i am positive that's not what he is doing.

I think a more realistic feel would be to advertise games etc that are in line with fixtures in game, rather than real life fixtures, for example, Chelsea v West Brom, September 21 2022, 7PM. If that fixture was set to actually happen in game on that day, but obviously that wouldn't be a deal or anything with a TV company as it isn't telling you watch a particular channel and so on it would just be a bit of a realism feature.

Ah, didn't spot it was FM10. No wonder I can't find it.

As for FM11, disable hyperlinks just disables the hyperlinks, it doesn't get rid of the adverts.

I don't have FM11, but I was over the moon when I found out you could just delete the ads folder and the boards themselves disappeared. No more annoying ads in the game.

I shudder at the thought of even more ads, or rotating ads and crap like that. As a person who despise advertising this is a huge deal for me. But thankfully it was possible to remove that plague upon society in FM10 :thup:

Should be an option in preferences ofc, so we don't have to snoop around in the folder structure and delete stuff manually. If there is such an option in 11 that is a step in the right direction.

I don't have FM11, but I was over the moon when I found out you could just delete the ads folder and the boards themselves disappeared. No more annoying ads in the game.

I shudder at the thought of even more ads, or rotating ads and crap like that. As a person who despise advertising this is a huge deal for me. But thankfully it was possible to remove that plague upon society in FM10 :thup:

Should be an option in preferences ofc, so we don't have to snoop around in the folder structure and delete stuff manually. If there is such an option in 11 that is a step in the right direction.

You must have read my mind. :thup:

Just fired up FM10 and noticed pitchside ESPN adverts for Chelsea v. West Brom, Sat 20th Aug at 4.45pm.

Is this a new thing?

Not sure i like it.

Smart Adverts. Worming their way directly into my FM experience?

I don't want it to happen.

Can I switch them off?

Am I being watched?

Data Collection?

i think he is just saying that it isn't overly realistic to see an ad for a game that 'happened' 20 years ago in your save. phnompenhandy isn't normally a complainer so i am positive that's not what he is doing.

I think a more realistic feel would be to advertise games etc that are in line with fixtures in game, rather than real life fixtures, for example, Chelsea v West Brom, September 21 2022, 7PM. If that fixture was set to actually happen in game on that day, but obviously that wouldn't be a deal or anything with a TV company as it isn't telling you watch a particular channel and so on it would just be a bit of a realism feature.

Yes, that's correct. I don't understand how it could have been misunderstood, but never mind.

I won't complain, as long as having sold ad spaces in the game, the price of the game will not increase in the next edition.

They might be nice, and for some people add to the realism, but the fact is that they make money off it and we're helping them do it so some of that money should pass onto us, whether it be a cheaper game or more updates/leagues/players/downloadable content. A better game is a given, they should be doing that either way, unless they can make sure that the game has a massive jump in quality that can only be attributed to a higher budget.

Realistic?

it's advertising real life things, very realistic. tonight it'll show advertising for another epl match. nothing wrong with that. if you don't want realism, then turn off the crowd and outside noises also

In most games I'd agree with you since if you notice it (which is the whole point) it does kind of destroy immersion.

Playing FM in a window, however, browsing the internet while the game's processing isn't really building much immersion for me.

There is a fine line with in game advertising that can easily be crossed. Had SI simply advertised the ESPN logo I would find that acceptable, it would also keep things realistic. Advertising actual events seems to be taking things a little too far. It is definitely not realistic to do this in FM (many saves will be beyond the current date).

Archived