Championship Manager !!

I have tried playing this game. I originally started off play Championship Manager 05 and 06. I then went to FM07 been an FM player since and will never go back. I was quite dull last year. I needed to play a manager game so got Championship Manager 2010. Needless to say I was bored after 2 minutes.

Originally played the CM series back in the day when SIGAMES (Makers of Football Manager) made the seires. When they went their seperate ways, Eidos(?) kept the CM name but SI kept the real game, hence ive always played FM series since.

From what ive heard and read of the CM series now, its sounds like a lesser mans FM but with a few better features. But hey ive not actually played it, and doubt i ever will. FM is the real CM :)

I have got both games. Played cm for about half a dozen games but there was a bug with it, takes about 2 to 5 minutes after each game to process scores etc so uninstalled it and is just gathering dust. A complete waste of money. FM is way better roll on 5th nov, cause at the moment got no incentive to carry on my Leeds Utd long term save

CM10 isn't a bad game. It's not that great either. The 3D match engine lets it down a lot. I prefer FM10, but it's only a bit better in my opinion. The thing I like in CM10 that isn't in FM10 is that you can play as FC United in your first season.

Not going to matter soon. There isn't a CM11 for PC

Championship Manager is no more, in terms of the pc. Their website tells you all you need to know about the game and the direction in which it is heading. Unfortunately, it has died a sad death.

Havent played it recently but champ manager 01/02 is by far the best management game of all time

Championship Manager 01/02 is the ancestor of Football Manager 2010, both made by Sports Interactive.

Championship Manager 01/02 (Sports Interactive) and Championship Manager 2010 (Beautiful Game Studios) are made by different companies.

Have to say very happy to see CM fail.

Not since David van Day stole the Bucks Fizz name and tried to make a living off of their name (after being in the band for about 10 minutes) have I seen anything as bad as BGS starting a game using an existing games title and riding on the reputation of what SI built up.

CM10 isn't a bad game. It's not that great either. The 3D match engine lets it down a lot. I prefer FM10, but it's only a bit better in my opinion. The thing I like in CM10 that isn't in FM10 is that you can play as FC United in your first season.

Not true, they took a badly made and broken game (admittedly one in the right hands which could have been good given about 5 years work), and then put out a patch which took the game put it over it's knee and made it even more broken.

FM10 is a far better game in almost every department, the only area where I actually found that FM could take a lesson from whas the matchday talk/instructions screen where you had three levels altogether, giving you a far greater depth of influence. Otherwise everything was either broken (the unusable ME), a massive exploit (set piece creator) or in the game just simply to have an auto win button.

EDIT: @Jam Man happens the whole time though, one of the many essentials of Capitalism (e.g. Gates stole the code for the programme which became Windows off Apple, who stole it themselves off Xerox.)

Not true, they took a badly made and broken game (admittedly one in the right hands which could have been good given about 5 years work), and then put out a patch which took the game put it over it's knee and made it even more broken.

FM10 is a far better game in almost every department, the only area where I actually found that FM could take a lesson from whas the matchday talk/instructions screen where you had three levels altogether, giving you a far greater depth of influence. Otherwise everything was either broken (the unusable ME), a massive exploit (set piece creator) or in the game just simply to have an auto win button.

EDIT: @Jam Man happens the whole time though, one of the many essentials of Capitalism (e.g. Gates stole the code for the programme which became Windows off Apple, who stole it themselves off Xerox.)

Complete opposite analogy though.

You are quoting examples where people took something and developed it into something else. Eidos took only the name of a product and tried to sell it with an inferior product. It was misleading and thousands would have bought something they thought was a 10 year old game which in fact was only just written.

Its like me stealing the name Ferrari and putting the badge on a go kart I made out of some pram wheels and selling it as a ferrari.

Complete opposite analogy though.

You are quoting examples where people took something and developed it into something else. Eidos took only the name of a product and tried to sell it with an inferior product. It was misleading and thousands would have bought something they thought was a 10 year old game which in fact was only just written.

Its like me stealing the name Ferrari and putting the badge on a go kart I made out of some pram wheels and selling it as a ferrari.

Not really the GUI on windows 1.0 was not significantly different than the one that Apple were going to use for the Lisa system. And Gates himself has pretty much admitted theft (though off Xerox) with the line "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo", when the whole GUI war broke out between him and Jobs. What they did was far greater in extent than what happened with the CM brand. Eidos actually had the rights to the name, but had to go off and develop a whole new game to stick the name on. Gates stole a GUI and used it to build Micro$oft, and then rob us at gunpoint continuously thereafter.

Not really the GUI on windows 1.0 was not significantly different than the one that Apple were going to use for the Lisa system. And Gates himself has pretty much admitted theft (though off Xerox) with the line "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo", when the whole GUI war broke out between him and Jobs. What they did was far greater in extent than what happened with the CM brand. Eidos actually had the rights to the name, but had to go off and develop a whole new game to stick the name on. Gates stole a GUI and used it to build Micro$oft, and then rob us at gunpoint continuously thereafter.

Yes but my point stands, Gates took a product and developed it and sold it for what it was, whether gained ethically or not it was a real product and there was nothing misleading about buying it. There was no "Microsoft Windows" being sold before he sold it.

Eidos didnt have anything, they built it from scratch and deceived the public into believing they were still buying the same thing that had for 10 years.

If you are saying they are the same then Eidos would have taken SI's code and built on it, but they didnt.

Not sure how someones opinion on something can be wrong. I said I think FM10 is only a bit better in my opinion. I wasn't saying it's a fact that everyone only likes FM10 a bit more than CM10. If I said that, I'd definitely be wrong. My personal game preference can't be wrong, as it's my opinion on what I like, not what everyone likes.

Played the CM10 demo and was liek WTF with traing. Watching players run around cones or somethingto that affect.

Realistic perhaps but not what you wanna be doing.

Surely the current CM series is dieing a slow death.

Victory vs. Heart tonight! go HEART! :)

Hi

My quick observations.

It had some nice touches did CM10. Easy to knock, especially given their management's stance on future iterations or non-future iterations as it seems to be. Though comparisons with FM is like chalk and cheese as they did not try and compete to the best of their ability and let a potentially good game go down the pan.

"Needless to say I was bored after 2 minutes." this statement is harsh. It would take you at least 30minutes just to set the game up. And I believe that FM will now have saved set-pieces (CM10 had a rather good set-piece tool). Also their training set-up was easy, simple, and effective. Not bad interface and some other neat little touches but not enough to retain interest when they stopped servicing the game. And to be honest £2.50 was cheap and to say that’s “£2.50 too much” well I would disagree but the game lost it longevity because of various aspects mainly their management approach which was appalling.

What also and more importantly, badly let the game down, was various aspects of the ME that needed some good solid fixes and some other important bugged areas that were never fixed, coupled with a skimpy and atrocious patch.

Having played all the various FM/CM games it is obvious that FM is streets ahead and given that CM is now on the back-burner then there is no competition.

The main difference for me is that CM went corporate and lost there proverbial way up the proverbial corporate a*"e. Whereas FM is run by people who actually love the game and listen to their community.

I'm not going to celebrate the demise of a game that gave me some of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

From the 92 Amiga version up until the 'split' it was a game I adored

From the god awful commentary of Clive Tyldsley to the benchmark that was 01/02, I loved those games.

Maybe I'm mourning a different game to the one I loved

I'm sure even the Collyer brothers will have a tinge of sadness to see the name disappear from the PC that once was so proud!

/end hazy nostalgia mode

Not sure how someones opinion on something can be wrong. I said I think FM10 is only a bit better in my opinion. I wasn't saying it's a fact that everyone only likes FM10 a bit more than CM10. If I said that, I'd definitely be wrong. My personal game preference can't be wrong, as it's my opinion on what I like, not what everyone likes.

But that's the thing about opinions, they can as easily be right or wrong (the only thing that is definitely right is a fact). I just pointed out all the flaws in the CM game which aren't in FM and for made it a far worse product. And the fact that they actually managed to make it even worse by patching still stands.

The fact is that I enjoyed it. There you go, it's a fact now. It's a fact that I only think FM10 is a bit better. It's a fact that my opinion may differ from yours, so who is to say which of us is right or wrong? I may not agree with you, but you're entitled to your opinion and I won't discredit your opinion as you have your own mind and can think whatever you like. We can agree to disagree about CM10, but nobody is swaying my opinion.

I think everyone who is saying "Good riddance" really needs to stop and think here... It is much better for all consumers if Football Manager had a credible challenger and unfortunately the best challenger has failed rather dramatically.

Have to say very happy to see CM fail.

Not since David van Day stole the Bucks Fizz name and tried to make a living off of their name (after being in the band for about 10 minutes) have I seen anything as bad as BGS starting a game using an existing games title and riding on the reputation of what SI built up.

Yes the biggest pop travesty since cm05 was put on the market, Van Day is a parasite and a plum.

You talking about me? LOL.

No but if you would like to discuss your problems further we are all eye's and ear's. :D

Exactly. While the CM10 demo (the only one I've bothered playing since the split) was indeed terrible, the fact that there's now 1 less direct competitor isn't a good thing. Competition is something that drives you on to continually excel, where's the competition at now? Fifa Manager...lol

It would be good for the football management market if there was a game that actually provided FM with some decent competition.

I think everyone who is saying "Good riddance" really needs to stop and think here... It is much better for all consumers if Football Manager had a credible challenger and unfortunately the best challenger has failed rather dramatically.

In my opinion CM2010 is quite playable but unfortunately the Game has been rapidly going downhill over the last few years and thankfully there will not be a 2011 edition. BGS hardly ever answer questions directed to them on the Forum so Members and not kept properly informed.

I have decided to switch to FM and am looking forward to the new version. Hopefully the Game it is as good as I have been told it is.

Archived