Ever seen this? Player given penalty kick to score a hat-trick.

Ever seen this before? I'm leading 3-1 at half-time, after scoring one penalty goal and two goals from corners, both of the latter knocked in by my tallest DC. At the start of the second half, I get another penalty. I'm expecting my regular penalty taker to step up, the one who converted the first one in the first half, and who is also my captain. However, to my surprise, it's not my penalty taker who steps up to the spot, neither is it anyone else in my preferred penalty takers list. Instead, it's none other than my tall DC, who knocks it past the keeper to earn a hat-trick.

Now, my two top penalty takers were both on the field, my DC is nowhere near the penalty takers list, and neither was he involved in the situation leading to the penalty. I can only conclude that... my regular taker gave him the shot so that he could have a chance to score his hat-trick! :eek:

That's such a nice detail! Though I wish I could tell them off after the match to let them know that I pick the set-piece takers. :D

In such instances having the option of who you want to take it is far better.

Aren't you the one who's been making posts about the legality of realism in FM? Now you want to do away with something that happens in football; something realistic. If Chelsea were leading 3-0, won a penalty and Terry was on a hattrick, then who'd take the penalty? I bet it'd be Terry.

Ok, so if a team is 3-2 up then the main penalty taker may take the kick to secure the match, but that's different. I'm still amazed you seem to be advocating removing a realistic part of the match engine.

Aren't you the one who's been making posts about the legality of realism in FM? Now you want to do away with something that happens in football; something realistic. If Chelsea were leading 3-0, won a penalty and Terry was on a hattrick, then who'd take the penalty? I bet it'd be Terry.

Ok, so if a team is 3-2 up then the main penalty taker may take the kick to secure the match, but that's different. I'm still amazed you seem to be advocating removing a realistic part of the match engine.

I have seen it happen very early in a game (and it was missed) and the opposition scored 2 times and drew. I would always pick my regular taker whether or not someone else was on 2 goals. The game is never over until the final whistle is blown.

I have seen it happen very early in a game (and it was missed) and the opposition scored 2 times and drew. I would always pick my regular taker whether or not someone else was on 2 goals. The game is never over until the final whistle is blown.

Yes, it can go wrong, but are you really advocating doing away with it? There is always a place for little things like this.

If your player had scored and the opposition had not come back and draw then you'd have been happy with it.

Yes, it can go wrong, but are you really advocating doing away with it? There is always a place for little things like this.

If your player had scored and the opposition had not come back and draw then you'd have been happy with it.

I am not saying do away with it, just that having the option of asking if we want him to take it for his hat trick. Granted 5 goals up etc, and realistically the opposition isn't gonna come back. But at 2 goals up anything can still happen.

I am not saying do away with it, just that having the option of asking if we want him to take it for his hat trick. Granted 5 goals up etc, and realistically the opposition isn't gonna come back. But at 2 goals up anything can still happen.

Yeah, I guess there's a time and place for it. Sorry, I got the wrong idea from your first post.

I'd personally love to see hattrick scorers run and pick up the match ball.

Yeah, I guess there's a time and place for it. Sorry, I got the wrong idea from your first post.

I'd personally love to see hattrick scorers run and pick up the match ball.

Would also be nice to see in a players profile the number of hat-tricks he has scored in his career with you. Maybe even have little balls or something for each one.

It shouldnt be turn off able.

Because I've seen instances in football where the manager has been irate because this happened, they didnt score and then dropped points. But the players make that decision, against the manager. The manager cant tell the ref who is taking the kick, the players do.

Maybe add the option to warn/fine players for it though :D

It shouldnt be turn off able.

Because I've seen instances in football where the manager has been irate because this happened, they didnt score and then dropped points. But the players make that decision, against the manager. The manager cant tell the ref who is taking the kick, the players do.

Maybe add the option to warn/fine players for it though :D

I'd agree with this, although does a player on 2 goals always take the penalty? If it is down to personality and he really is taking it against the wishes of the manager then fair enough, but it shouldn't happen every time.

I'd agree with this, although does a player on 2 goals always take the penalty? If it is down to personality and he really is taking it against the wishes of the manager then fair enough, but it shouldn't happen every time.

Not only does it happen every time a player is on 2 goals.

I once had a match where 2 people were on 2 goals, one of them even being my regular taker.

I got a penalty, and it gave it to the OTHER guy who was also on 2 goals, even tho the regular taker was on 2 goals himself, was on the pitch, and was listed as being the only person who can take penalties. And to me that stank !!!

Saw this for the first time last night and I was not happy about it at all.

My main striker has been on a bit of a barren run and so I set him up to be the only penalty taker. A couple of games later and he still hasn't scored we get a penalty. Yes, I thought, finally he can get himself off the mark. But no, what the hell, up steps my midfielder and hits it straight at the keeper who saves it. I was really not chuffed at all.

What is the point of me setting up a penalty taking list if the game is not going to follow it? I felt like fining the midfielder for not being professional. I am sorry, but I want this changing so that it follows the list. If I don't have a list, feel free to give it to the guy on a hatrick.

Perhaps the best option would be a 'player on hattrick to take penalty' tick box, with the chance of a player being able to ignore the manager's instructions and take one anyway. Obviously there would need to be some kind of media/player interaction to follow this up though.

Usually it's my strikers being on two goals AND being the designated PK taker anyway, so it's hard to tell...

Also, didn't Bendtner take the penalty in injury time against Porto last week just for this very reason?

Perhaps the best option would be a 'player on hattrick to take penalty' tick box, with the chance of a player being able to ignore the manager's instructions and take one anyway. Obviously there would need to be some kind of media/player interaction to follow this up though.

Nice option, well thought out

Usually it's my strikers being on two goals AND being the designated PK taker anyway, so it's hard to tell...

Also, didn't Bendtner take the penalty in injury time against Porto last week just for this very reason?

It happens in real life quite a lot, I remember Dindane doing it against Wigan this year. I think the point people are making though is it doesn't happen every time, rather only when the situation suits it.

Some managers don't allow players to do it at all, always making sure the designated penalty taker takes it (I'm sure there was an example recently in the PL, can't remember who).

It's been mentioned (and IIRC confirmed by someone at SI) that it's situation-dependant. If your team's 2-1 up or something, then your DC won't be taking the kick even if he's on a hat-trick because the game isn't wrapped up yet. If they have a cushion of 2 or 3 goals, though, it seems to be something that happens all the time. Perhaps it shouldn't be happening 100% of the time if you've got a cushion, but for it to happen fairly often - perhaps with the tickable option like you said in another post, and with some basis on stats...for instance, maybe with just a 2-goal lead someone with very high professionalism and low penalty-taking would pass up the opportunity so that a better kicker can make absolutely sure that the game's wrapped up :)

It happened in La Liga earlier this season, where the guy wanted the Hat-trick, but the regular pen taker took the pen.

Great feature in-game.

Real Madrid last week if I recall. Ronaldo was on a hat-trick and wanted to take it, but Xabi Alonso took it instead, even though he isn't the regular taker. I believe he took it because he hadn't yet scored since joining Madrid, and the manager was making a point about having more different goalscorers in the team than any other in the league.

I even have seen this with corners, I can't really see why though, for assists? My regular right corner taker was still on the field and took the last corner, yet Modric went to take him (he's 2nd in line and was 1st in line for long time), adding another assist, he had tons...

Yeah but it's like that in real life. There not goin to run to the dugout and say "gaffer should he take it?" end of the day the desicion in real life is a spare of the moment thing made by the captain or the usual taker.

This really annoys me to be honest and is one of the worst features ever included in a Football Manager game.

I've only ever had it work against me when my winger, for example, get's a couple of goals and then misses the penalty.

Should at least be a way of stopping this happening or 'fuming' at the situation as I'm sure Fergie would hit the roof if this happened in real life, regardless of the result - just look at how important goal difference is at the top of the Premier League at the moment.

Managers communicate with players on the pitch all the time.

In the fracas following a penalty decision you always see managers communicating with the players nearest the sideline to issue instructions to either the captain or the players themselves. If you've ever been to a real match you'll know that when a penalty is given it takes about 1 - 3 minutes to sort it out.

It's a simple thing to include when you are given a penalty. The game interrupts for a moment a list of regular takers is presented and the player with the two goals.

Elect which player you want to take the penalty.

I'm pretty sure a manager would have a say in this if the game was 3-2 to you. You wouldn't want to miss a chance to go 4-2, especially late in a game.

Archived