Tactical Wizard Debate, Do we need it?

After reading a thew posts and people's experiances of the tactical wizard and pre set tactics i am wondering do we really need them??

every person that plays Fm must have some knowledge of football and think they know about tactics in there own right as do every manager IRl what ever level they manage at?

To be able to use pre set tactics, Tactic wizards that can give succes to any manager that uses the right templates at the right time i think IMO takes somthing away from the game in terms of one's self trying to impliment his/her own ideas to football..

In terms of creating a tactic im wondering if it would be worht having no preset tacics but have a wizard where as you get asked in stages how you want to set your team up. To start with you could be given the option of how many defenders you want followed by any Defensive midfeilders, wide mids, centre mids, attacking mids, and so you get the idea, from here you then get a screen where you place the shirts your self as to where they are placed on the field..

once the formation is set from here you then move onto setting your players or team instructions depending on how you like to set your team up, individual instructions or global team instructions. i can appreciate that using pre sets it makes it faster for people but in the same context you could be very lazy and choose pre set tactics and providing you have an understanding of match odds and the ME you can just choose these all day long and be a football manager god..

from a personal point of view i would rather struggle and lern what instructions works best for my players than use presets that to me seems lazy a takes fun away from the game?

after all any one that cant win with a big rich top four team as many do down load tactics, where is the fun in using tactics that some else has made to be good at a game? surly this is a strategic game and it invloves the recipiant's own brain to think about what they should or shouldn't do?

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my own mind I know how an AMC should play, what I have never known is how to tinker the tedious sliders to recreate in FM as it is not logical at times. Now I dont have to worry about rolling the dice with the sliders.

I've only played for a couple of hours, so I may not be able to comment on it as much as others yet, but so far I'm incredibly impressed with it. For the past two games I've used the Tactical Theorems and Frameworks guide, and now everything I see in the latest game corresponds much better to what I've been reading in those guides. Simplifies things muchly!

The argument is that people used to worry when they saw a slider and think "oh no, this is too complicated, who ever heard of a real life manager saying "I want you to have 18 creative freedom", get rid of the sliders, I can't understand them, someone get me a guide!"

It would have been much easier and would have caused far fewer bugs if SI had pointed out that a single notch either way in the slider will not cause your team to go from dunderheads to world class footballers.

However, that's why the wizard is there, to help people who thought that one click of the slider would make a world of difference. It takes away a lot of control (in anticipation of the counter argument, changing philosophy, adding shouts and tweaking overall passing is for more complicated than simply moving the slider!) and it disadvantages anyone who wants to use the old method (no shouts, no wide play controls, large slider notches, tick boxes that untick...).

It won't be going away, because it seems to help people, and that's good. Primarily, it speeds up changing tactics.

(Another proactive response- IMO the wizard has not actually helped you get the players doing what you want, it just happens to have been implemented after a match engine that gives you little control over playing style has been improved. If you used the sliders on the FM2010 ME, you'd have the same or better success rate than if you used the wizard. It's not a valid test to say the wizard in the FM2010 ME gives you more control than the sliders in the FM09 ME)

Oh, look, in the time it took to create that post, people posted the arguments I knew they would.

After reading a thew posts and people's experiances of the tactical wizard and pre set tactics i am wondering do we really need them??

every person that plays Fm must have some knowledge of football and think they know about tactics in there own right as do every manager IRl what ever level they manage at?

To be able to use pre set tactics' date=' Tactic wizards that can give succes to any manager that uses the right templates at the right time i think IMO takes somthing away from the game in terms of one's self trying to impliment his/her own ideas to football..

In terms of creating a tactic im wondering if it would be worht having no preset tacics but have a wizard where as you get asked in stages how you want to set your team up. To start with you could be given the option of how many defenders you want followed by any Defensive midfeilders, wide mids, centre mids, attacking mids, and so you get the idea, from here you then get a screen where you place the shirts your self as to where they are placed on the field..

once the formation is set from here you then move onto setting your players or team instructions depending on how you like to set your team up, individual instructions or global team instructions. i can appreciate that using pre sets it makes it faster for people but in the same context you could be very lazy and choose pre set tactics and providing you have an understanding of match odds and the ME you can just choose these all day long and be a football manager god..

from a personal point of view i would rather struggle and lern what instructions works best for my players than use presets that to me seems lazy a takes fun away from the game?

after all any one that cant win with a big rich top four team as many do down load tactics, where is the fun in using tactics that some else has made to be good at a game? surly this is a strategic game and it invloves the recipiant's own brain to think about what they should or shouldn't do?[/quote']

I don't think you see the problem right. The problem for alot of people including me, is that it's difficult to understand the old tactical sliders - because what is the difference between a mentality of 8 and 10? Yes, it is two notches, but some of us wants to have this in REAL WORDS.

And by the way, just because the new tactical wizard offers some presets it doesn't asure any succes. The tactics still needs tweaking just like in the old days.

i agree with post above me I think the thread title is kind of dumb, we don't need it BUT its a good addition , it brings more OPTIONS to what managers would want to use. some people like using the new wizard some like using the slider. simple.

seriously the OP just wants a argument or something or that he makes a thread with lots of posts.

The argument is that people used to worry when they saw a slider and think "oh no, this is too complicated, who ever heard of a real life manager saying "I want you to have 18 creative freedom", get rid of the sliders, I can't understand them, someone get me a guide!"

It would have been much easier and would have caused far fewer bugs if SI had pointed out that a single notch either way in the slider will not cause your team to go from dunderheads to world class footballers.

However, that's why the wizard is there, to help people who thought that one click of the slider would make a world of difference. It takes away a lot of control (in anticipation of the counter argument, changing philosophy, adding shouts and tweaking overall passing is for more complicated than simply moving the slider!) and it disadvantages anyone who wants to use the old method (no shouts, no wide play controls, large slider notches, tick boxes that untick...).

It won't be going away, because it seems to help people, and that's good. Primarily, it speeds up changing tactics.

(Another proactive response- IMO the wizard has not actually helped you get the players doing what you want, it just happens to have been implemented after a match engine that gives you little control over playing style has been improved. If you used the sliders on the FM2010 ME, you'd have the same or better success rate than if you used the wizard. It's not a valid test to say the wizard in the FM2010 ME gives you more control than the sliders in the FM09 ME)

Oh, look, in the time it took to create that post, people posted the arguments I knew they would.

stop being such a smug idiot.

I have not made the point that you have said people would. My point is that the programmers of FM know what settings should be used to create the perfect AMC role, my interpretation of how to create the perfect AMC role whilst logical to me may not translate into the game the way I intended to because the sliders where never really adequately explained, this is born out by the fact that certain users had to make a massive tactical guide to translate Fm to real life. The tactics wizard means that if i now want an AMC instead of having to play hit and miss I can just select the predefined role instead of fannying around for 20 minutes mooving sliders around.

Much better all round and yes I have tried fm10 with and without the tactics creator, when i took the tactics creator off the arrows and settings that certain players had when displayed the old way where surprising to say the least and not how I would have set them up myself using the sliders. Before it was like trying to speak a foreign language and not being able to get the message across and now its like I have employed a **** hot translator and everything is being relayed the way I intend it to be.

stop being such a smug idiot.

I have not made the point that you have said people would. My point is that the programmers of FM know what settings should be used to create the perfect AMC role, my interpretation of how to create the perfect AMC role whilst logical to me may not translate into the game the way I intended to because the sliders where never really adequately explained, this is born out by the fact that certain users had to make a massive tactical guide to translate Fm to real life. The tactics wizard means that if i now want an AMC instead of having to play hit and miss I can just select the predefined role instead of fannying around for 20 minutes mooving sliders around.

Much better all round and yes I have tried fm10 with and without the tactics creator, when i took the tactics creator off the arrows and settings that certain players had when displayed the old way where surprising to say the least and not how I would have set them up myself using the sliders. Before it was like trying to speak a foreign language and not being able to get the message across and now its like I have employed a **** hot translator and everything is being relayed the way I intend it to be.

To be honest, I was talking more about the other two.

Well, the five sliders with three options were pretty easy, so I'll presume you weren't talking about them. Creative freedom is an "area" slider (i.e. one or even four clicks really don't matter), passing style is a general idea and again you really need not be precise. What are the others? Tackling? That's a three place slider... there's one missing plus mentality. Well, mentality is probably the hardest of the lot to get correct, but the complexity was grossly exaggerated. I had my most success, even on 09, with simply ordering them across the slider.

You never had to spend 20 minutes messing around.

I agree with you though that the wizard has the benefit of saving time. I don't think it's actually making it easier, just simpler (different things).

The presets do have some faults, like tackling being too high (this is probably what caused the sending off "bugs") and centre back mentalities perhaps being too high.

Clearly, the answer is no, we don't "NEED" it, but for many gamers, FM09 was too difficult to understand tactically. The difference between things like "forward runs" and "attacking mentality" was never made clear, and it was only when you really thought about it whilst watching matches that people (well, me) could really understand how these worked.

The tactics wizard is a short cut to the style of play you think you need in order to win a game and give you a kind of hints-and-tips tactic. You can tweak it further and I'm sure many people do (I certainly do) or you can choose not to.

It isn't something you HAVE to use, and it doesn't change the playing field for different people the way something like FMRTE does. Like others have said, if you don't like it, don't use it.

after all any one that cant win with a big rich top four team as many do down load tactics' date=' where is the fun in using tactics that some else has made to be good at a game? surly this is a strategic game and it invloves the recipiant's own brain to think about what they should or shouldn't do?[/quote']

That's because you're thinking of them as pre-sets and pre-made tactics. Stop thinking of them in slider terms and more about football terms.

As others have said, creating a tactic shouldn't be about balancing sliders. It should be about giving out instructions, football instructions. The new tactics creator does this.

If the sliders weren't visible, you'd only be giving out instructions. But because the sliders are there, some people have in their head that the game is giving you easy pre-sets and stopping you thinking about what you are doing. Yet there are so many combinations and ways of setting up your team, plus you can use the sliders to tweak things, there is plenty to think about and a lot that can go wrong.

The new system is a big improvement, and as said, you don't have to use it. Plenty of people want to.

In terms of creating a tactic im wondering if it would be worht having no preset tacics but have a wizard where as you get asked in stages how you want to set your team up. To start with you could be given the option of how many defenders you want followed by any Defensive midfeilders' date=' wide mids, centre mids, attacking mids, and so you get the idea, from here you then get a screen where you place the shirts your self as to where they are placed on the field..

once the formation is set from here you then move onto setting your players or team instructions depending on how you like to set your team up, individual instructions or global team instructions. i can appreciate that using pre sets it makes it faster for people but in the same context you could be very lazy and choose pre set tactics and providing you have an understanding of match odds and the ME you can just choose these all day long and be a football manager god..[/quote']

Doesn't it already do that?

I am enjoying the new options on the tactics screen.

For myself the tactical side of CM/FM was always where I spent the most time and devoted most of my millions of scraps of paper to, for many years.

However, there seemed a distinct change in the latest versions of Football Manager, in 08 and 09 I found myself increasingly unable to to translate my thoughts into the tactics interface.

Frustation was building as although success was easily achievable I felt far less influencial in what my team was actually doing on the pitch.

With the new systems in place I really feel this control has shifted back towards me. I find my tactical visions/philosophys being enacted (or attempted) on the pitch.

So, yes, in my mind the new changes are ALL welcome

The sliders worked - i just think that the problem was in peoples understand of the sliders. I would agree with SCIAG.

One benefit of the wizard, i would say, is that it is far quicker to play the game. Changing individual Roles and Duties takes a lot less time than manually doing individual instructions; likewise picking a specific team mentality is quicker than doing it all manually. You will get through games quicker and achieve more seasons, i imagine.

I'm not really a fan, but it's helpful for some people.

To be honest, it's been the best thing in the FM series. I'm now able to use this to create the style of play I want to do instead of having to study sliders.

What he said. I've forgotten the sliders are even there and utterly refuse to ever use that load of old nonsense again.

Yes we need it. The sliders are a horrible and crappy way to try and relate common football knowledge into tactical instructions.

The wizard is simply superb and finally you can get a team to do what you want without agonising over whether each player should have an extra click towards attacking or defending and wondering what, if any difference that actually makes!

My goodness, Mr Wakers, we can agree on something ;)

Obviously I'm biased about the tactical creator, but it seems to me as if some people haven't fully grasped what it does yet, whereas others are really getting to grips with all its options. It is not just a 'preset' tactics maker. It is a dynamic tool that interlinks with player attributes and touchline shouts, and can be changed and tweaked to replicate a plethora of footballing styles and strategies. The actual 'wizard' section is only a minor element of its functionality.

My OP was more about what i had read, some people where claiming how easy the game had become ect, it used to be this game is crap and it cheats, i dont understand sliders etc, iv never been great using the sliders, i have seen people saying how easy it is now..

It's almost like all the preset wizard instructions would be enough to win providing you knew how and when to use each set tactic ect..

as far as using sliders on there own they where simple enough to understand, what tended to be more problematic for my self was knowing what to use, when to use it, or even what to change to when beeing over run by a weaker team. im thinking may be the wizard takes away people's own idea's?

this is just an opinion i gatherd based on posts i have read since the demo release.

Not true at all.

You still have to know what to do, the new tactics system just gives you a way of being able to do it.

For instance, you can now distinguish a midfielder between being a deep lying or advanced playmaker.

If I asked on the forum how to do that with the sliders, we would get dozens of different answers.

That's why the new system is good.

An opinion based on what others have posted? Thats just silly.

If you belived everything you read on here you'd think nobody could play the game because of bugs, install problems etc etc.

Play the game before trying to cause an arguement, sorry, debate. :)

Yes we need it. The sliders are a horrible and crappy way to try and relate common football knowledge into tactical instructions.

Sliders are easy, they just need to be communicated. SI never bothered with that - it's not just sliders, it's the tick boxes too. I was wrong on some things though before as a player's attrbitues are linked to the creator, they're indeed not a one-size-fits-all kind of masking, major props for this, and it's good to have an alternative option that is talking "football language" rather than "sliders". But even so, you may want to use some of these as a starting point rather than going with them entirelly - "football roles" aren't something written in stone either, and therefore some issues remain unsolved.

I repeat again though:

The way SI communicates what they are meant to control just isn't. Much like bits of the creator, it assumes that just by giving the options real-world football names, it's perfectly clear what everything does. But whilst the tactical creator comes with fairly accurate descriptions of each role and duty, the sliders and tick boxes are explained so vague in the manual they even contradict their actual impact on a player's behavior, unintentially maybe, but they do.

Both the creator and sliders could do with a visual representation of communicating things though - particularly more complex issues such as setting up your team's playing philosophy."

but if you arnt happy with the wizard setting's you still have to over ride them using the sliders or tweak them your self, so if you do that then surly you know what your trying to create by doing so?

having a player called a ball winning midfielder defensive, or a support midfielder is simple to create by changing the sliders any way, i think understanding and knowing where the sliders are will give you a better knowledge of what changes you have made as apposed to just using the wizard and never looking at the sliders ect..

To be honest, it's been the best thing in the FM series. I'm now able to use this to create the style of play I want to do instead of having to study sliders.

I agree. Best thing they ever did. I've found my enthusiasm for the game back. Even GaryWHUFC (I think he's called that) will appreciate the game more. Sliders was the most unrealistic thing in the game. Didn't make any sense whatsoever.

Scoham, you could say the same thing about sliders.

You could, but a lot of people wouldn't agree. In the end it's a game, numbers have to be used in some way, and sliders show that very clearly. The new system makes it feel more natural, more like football and with the shouts and the way instructions change depending on other settings, it's much simpler to use, easier to understand and the football looks more realistic because the sliders are balanced with each other. You can still make an unbalanced tactic, but not in the way you can with the sliders.

I agree. Best thing they ever did. I've found my enthusiasm for the game back. Even GaryWHUFC (I think he's called that) will appreciate the game more. Sliders was the most unrealistic thing in the game. Didn't make any sense whatsoever.

sliders in terms of would you say to a player play at 15 attacking today and 16 creative freedom is unrealistic yes, but setting these instructions to your over all team approach has meaning in the form, the more clicks you give a player the more he becomes attacking or defensive, playing a defensive game obviously would include Playing narrow and using counter attack, you dont need a wizard to do that for you, if you dont know about football why play a football game..

all im saying when playing the game my self i get more enjoyment out of learning how they work and develope a tactic which works for my team and works in a way i like to see the game played. and as far as i can see i dont need a wizard to do that for me, and iv never been that great at the game compared to people like Cleon and WWWfan ect

Playing defensive wouldn't include counter attacking, as that is an attacking form of play.

See how opinions on football terminology can be different? :D

Don't agree with your last paragraph either. There's nothing fun about messing about with sliders trying to find a setting that produces the desired results. It was the worst part of the game and a major reason as to why the series had fallen out of favour with me.

I could set slider settings that made my team do well, but I couldn't for the life of me understand why they would. Meanwhile I could use settings that would make sense and yet the team would under perform. You had no way of knowing if this was down to a mistake on your part or just because someone at SI understands mentality in a different way than you do.

but if you arnt happy with the wizard setting's you still have to over ride them using the sliders or tweak them your self' date=' so if you do that then surly you know what your trying to create by doing so?[/quote']

I may want to tell a player to take more risks, play more aggressively and little stuff like that, just tweaking things a little, which is impossible without knowing what an individual slider (and tick box) is meant to control. Even so, if it is properly communicated what they are meant to control, you can roughly set up player roles yourselves. Communicating what a slider does is the foundation on which to build, those are the basic means of control given to you. Not arguing against the tactics creator. Just arguing against that the creator solves it all.

Playing defensive wouldn't include counter attacking, as that is an attacking form of play.

See how opinions on football terminology can be different? :D

Don't agree with your last paragraph either. There's nothing fun about messing about with sliders trying to find a setting that produces the desired results. It was the worst part of the game and a major reason as to why the series had fallen out of favour with me.

I could set slider settings that made my team do well, but I couldn't for the life of me understand why they would. Meanwhile I could use settings that would make sense and yet the team would under perform. You had no way of knowing if this was down to a mistake on your part or just because someone at SI understands mentality in a different way than you do.

yeh but if you still use the wrong setting's using the wizard you arnt going to do that well either? i can see where a slider setting of 19 means the player is in an attacking role etc but why is it so hard to use a slider and know that a slider setting of 19 means he will be offensive?

yes the wizard has good instructions on what they do but i notice setting the philosophy to your play and then setting the strategy can alter the mentality sliders a fair bit, with out actually seeing the sliders change, just using shouts alone doesnt give me any insite as to what they have changed, if i wanted to play narrow id rather pull the slider back untill it says narrow that way i have understood my tactical change ad i was in full control of that..

I repeat again though:
The way SI communicates what they are meant to control just isn't.

That's something I agree with. There's a lot of areas of the game that aren't communicated very well to the player. I like the new tactic system but it's just one of many ways the system could have been improved.

My goodness, Mr Wakers, we can agree on something ;)

Obviously I'm biased about the tactical creator, but it seems to me as if some people haven't fully grasped what it does yet, whereas others are really getting to grips with all its options. It is not just a 'preset' tactics maker. It is a dynamic tool that interlinks with player attributes and touchline shouts, and can be changed and tweaked to replicate a plethora of footballing styles and strategies. The actual 'wizard' section is only a minor element of its functionality.

I agree 100%. I feel as though I now control my team(s), and I'm no longer baffled by seemingly random clicks and options.

I've found that I'm not as "sure" about what's going on with my team, though, with the new system. There's a little bit of a learning curve if you were used to the slider system and are trying to switch over, because the original way worked. I'm not throwing the whole thing out, and I like certain aspects (I basically design a new tactic for every match, because it doesn't really take that long); however, I sometimes get the impression I'm not as "in control" of my team as I was before, which is probably just my perception since I was used to it the other way.

Does that even make sense?

In terms of creating a tactic im wondering if it would be worht having no preset tacics but have a wizard where as you get asked in stages how you want to set your team up. To start with you could be given the option of how many defenders you want followed by any Defensive midfeilders' date=' wide mids, centre mids, attacking mids, and so you get the idea, from here you then get a screen where you place the shirts your self as to where they are placed on the field..

after all any one that cant win with a big rich top four team as many do down load tactics, where is the fun in using tactics that some else has made to be good at a game? surly this is a strategic game and it invloves the recipiant's own brain to think about what they should or shouldn't do? [/quote']

Seems to me you have just invented a different kind of wizard - a more complicated one that will create broken tactics - well done!

If you want to create your own tactic from scatch - do. Please let the rest of us enjoy our game our way. Maybe though if Posters are going to brag about their "achievements" it would be nice if they mentioned whether their tactics were totally "original" works - or wizardry! (although I personnally couldn't give a monkee's!)

[/quote']

Op is confusing the default preset default tactics every fm had had and tactics generated using the wizard ?

I agree 100%. I feel as though I now control my team(s), and I'm no longer baffled by seemingly random clicks and options.

I totally agree I find the new wizard very useful. I use it 90% of the time. Also when I do use it, I tweak depending on who I am playing. I can actually see the difference in that my players seem to play to the instructions that I have asked them to carry out, much more fluid.

Where I do get confused is the touchline shouts in that they seem to kick-in only after a break in the game e.g. ball goes out of play. I thought that touchline shouts would get an instance/quick response.

Also does tweaking negate the touchline responses (I remember reading that in a very early thread -was this fixed in the patch?)

But the bottom line for me is that the tactical wizard is an excellent introduction.

K..:)

sliders in terms of would you say to a player play at 15 attacking today and 16 creative freedom is unrealistic yes' date=' but setting these instructions to your over all team approach has meaning in the form, the more clicks you give a player the more he becomes attacking or defensive, playing a defensive game obviously would include Playing narrow and using counter attack, you dont need a wizard to do that for you, if you dont know about football why play a football game..

all im saying when playing the game my self i get more enjoyment out of learning how they work and develope a tactic which works for my team and works in a way i like to see the game played. and as far as i can see i dont need a wizard to do that for me, and iv never been that great at the game compared to people like Cleon and WWWfan ect[/quote']

I disagree. The fact I spent hours reading up on what the sliders do and reading theorems took the fun out of the game. No manager says, right I want you to attack by 12 clicks he just says get forward and run at the full backs or drop deep from up front and collect the ball. I could never work out how the sliders worked and spent days playing with the instructions just to get them right before I could even start to play the game properly. At least this way I can simply adjust my tactics by telling my team to be more defensive or attack. Sliders were absolute sh1te.

PS. If you don't need a wizard don't use it. That's why there's options whereby you can still play the old way

Archived