Football Manager 2010 new features blog Day 25: The new GUI explained - plus NINE new

What is up with the HUGE space between names and the stats? We'd get killed if we did that where I work!

Surely the whole point of that huge space is that you can now fill it up with whatever you want? :confused:

What is up with the HUGE space between names and the stats? We'd get killed if we did that where I work!

Did you even read the blog post? :confused:

This is a great new feature as far as I am concerned. Have wanted this for a long time. Good work.

Is it possible to use this in Player search?

I really miss not being able to see the player's club unless I go to view by 'contract'.

Don't have a widescreen monitor so I don't know whether I'll benefit fully from it but it certainly looks interesting.

Miles / Si - A couple of questions:

1 - Is it just the squad screen that is customisable or does this apply to other screens? if so which ones?

2 - The screen shots show adding - Can you also remove stuff too? I.e. if someone has a smaller screen and wants to remove two columns to have a different 2 can they?

3 - Has the work on the GUI got rid of the squad screen annoyance that if you went onto a national team and looked at a player, then pressed back you'd get club info (ok for nation) but then when you go to your own squad its set out the same way?

4 - Have you made other aspects customisable too such as which competitions to show in career history or which competitions show up on club records etc? I.e. can I a) now include competitions other than just league to a player's history and b) can I removed U18/Reserve successes from club histories?

Personally I am hugely in favour of allowing user customising - saves pleasing some and upsetting others!

If anyone is having the same problem as me in that the 188bet banner on the right side is blocking the right side of the screenshots.

I managed to view the screenshots without the banner blocking my view by refreshing the site over and over until i got another banner. Not optimal but at least it's viewable.

If anyone is having the same problem as me in that the 188bet banner on the right side is blocking the right side of the screenshots.

I managed to view the screenshots without the banner blocking my view by refreshing the site over and over until i got another banner. Not optimal but at least it's viewable.

Have tried a whole lot already, there just aren't any screenschots visible for me anywhere :(

If you have an ad-blocker activated it can remove the screenshot bar for you. Just turn of the adblocker.

Anyway, GREAT addition. FM really needs better use of large/widescreen monitors. I hope the columns will be addable in the search player screen as well.

Miles / Si - A couple of questions:

1 - Is it just the squad screen that is customisable or does this apply to other screens? if so which ones?

2 - The screen shots show adding - Can you also remove stuff too? I.e. if someone has a smaller screen and wants to remove two columns to have a different 2 can they?

3 - Has the work on the GUI got rid of the squad screen annoyance that if you went onto a national team and looked at a player, then pressed back you'd get club info (ok for nation) but then when you go to your own squad its set out the same way?

4 - Have you made other aspects customisable too such as which competitions to show in career history or which competitions show up on club records etc? I.e. can I a) now include competitions other than just league to a player's history and b) can I removed U18/Reserve successes from club histories?

Personally I am hugely in favour of allowing user customising - saves pleasing some and upsetting others!

1 (and 4)- At the moment, all squad list tables (your own including reserves, youth team etc. as well as other team's) and your player search table will support this functionality. We already have many other plans to introduce them elsewhere though.

This is a feature in the game that we're excited about which we're definitely going to expand and improve over time. What you see in FM 10 is simply the first steps we've taken in their development. Based on the feedback we've received on them so far, everyone seems to think it's a very promising start and that we're heading in the right direction with them.

2- Of course. You can add, move and remove columns. I should mention there's a bunch of stat properties (among many others) that you can add as columns, which contain information that had not been accessible/visible anywhere elsewhere in the game.

We were determined to make this a feature not only designed for people on smaller resolutions who want to make the most out of the little screen estate they possess (and on the flip side for those who are on higher resolutions who have a lot of free space to play with), but to also make them useful for everyone playing the game.

It had already been possible to customize columns before by changing xml-files. It's nice to do so in-game, though.

It's really like comparing night and day.

You can create a completely custom view with a unique set and arrangement of columns almost instantly and effortlessly.

Is it possible to edit more the 1 screen?

So that I could have 1 squad view that that columns used for selecting the team like form and another one to show the columns that I don't need to view all the time like wages and contracts.

You can save as many different custom views as you'd like per table. The other good news is that they're not save game dependent.

1 (and 4)- At the moment, all squad list tables (your own including reserves, youth team etc. as well as other team's) and your player search table will support this functionality. We already have many other plans to introduce them elsewhere though.

This is a feature in the game that we're excited about which we're definitely going to expand and improve over time. What you see in FM 10 is simply the first steps we've taken in their development. Based on the feedback we've received on them so far, everyone seems to think it's a very promising start and that we're heading in the right direction with them.

2- Of course. You can add, move and remove columns. I should mention there's a bunch of stat properties (among many others) that you can add as columns, which contain information that had not been accessible/visible anywhere elsewhere in the game.

We were determined to make this a feature not only designed for people on smaller resolutions who want to make the most out of the little screen estate they possess (and on the flip side for those who are on higher resolutions who have a lot of free space to play with), but to also make them useful for everyone playing the game.

Awesome - thanks for the reply. I have high hopes that means the Player History section might get cleaned up in time then. Has always been my biggest bugbear with FM but this all sounds like moves in the right direction!

I would think the name column would resize so that it is closer to the info columns if you have less "stuff" selected. Otherwise it can be confusing to line up the stats to the name. It is fine though, I'll fill that area up with "stuff" anyways. Do like the tabbing, BTW.

Columns can be manually resized. Alternatively, they can be automatically resized if you want them to take up no more space than is necessary.

Just to re-iterate, if you create a custom view in one save game, it will be available on all on your save games. However, the ability to make it available for download for others (i.e. export/import) is currently not supported. But, I suspect it will be sooner rather than later when this does become possible..

Eventually, yes. At the moment, I cannot say when though, unfortunately.

Surely you don't really need to export them unless you were doing the same thing in FML and wanted them there? As they will just be permantly there once created no matter what save game you choose... as you posted above?

Having customisable columns is fantastic! :thup:

For the last few editions I've gone into the XML and picked up bits from different screens from the View section and put them into the General view thus I could have what stats I wanted to view without clicking around to other screens. Now it's been made easy for everyone.

So this is a fantastic addition, so small yet ever so useful, thanks SI. :cool:

If the goal is less mouse movement, why is the Continue button hidden away in the corner?

It's not exactly hidden away, is it though? It's a much larger clickable area than was previously. Additionally, most of the global navigation elements in the layout are now located in the upper 1/3 of the screen which will ensure less mouse movement than previously.

As Miles wrote in the blog, it may take an hour or so for experienced users to get accustomed to the layout changes (including the re-location of the Continue button). However, once you have we're pretty confident your navigational experience will have a much more natural and speedy flow to it.

I learned how to use xml files last year to customize screens in FM. Will be nice to be able to do it quickly in-game this year.

Squad screen is a good start. I hope you expand this to opposition instructions in the near future. I built some nice views using xml that let me see my opponents attributes and best foot with marking, closing down, show to foot, etc instructions all in one view. Made doing instructions very easy and let me see my "team strategy" for the whole team at a glance.

One question though, will our xml views from FM 09 work in FM 10?

I learned how to use xml files last year to customize screens in FM. Will be nice to be able to do it quickly in-game this year.

Squad screen is a good start. I hope you expand this to opposition instructions in the near future. I built some nice views using xml that let me see my opponents attributes and best foot with marking, closing down, show to foot, etc instructions all in one view. Made doing instructions very easy and let me see my "team strategy" for the whole team at a glance.

One question though, will our xml views from FM 09 work in FM 10?

I'm pretty sure they should/will.

Archived