FM2010 Blog no.6

Well the match engine sounds good ... i like the nice little touches like if a player is on a hat-rick then he will most likely take the penalty. Couple of questions:

He says that there are improvements on marking, is this for both zonal and man marking?

Also he says there are more player prefered moves and gives 2 examples ... care to share any more player moves with us ? =)

And how exactly has the passing been improved ?

Overall though ... seems as though you guys really have put alot of effort in (y)

Cool.

The part about a player scoring 2 goals, and then taking a penalty in order to get a hat trick - thats a cool idea - but I hope it doesn't happen if you're 2-0 down, one of your centre backs scores 2 goals, and then you get a penalty to win the match and he steps up to take it.

So with the player being on two goals and being given the penalty thing. Does that mean the team ignore your penalty takers list or are you given the choice? Also will the score of the game at that point have any impact?

I love the idea, just wondered how it will work.

Cool.

The part about a player scoring 2 goals, and then taking a penalty in order to get a hat trick - thats a cool idea - but I hope it doesn't happen if you're 2-0 down, one of your centre backs scores 2 goals, and then you get a penalty to win the match and he steps up to take it.

I don't see this as a problem tbh. If your centre back has already scored 2 goals then I think there a good chance that he'll probably score. Perhaps as he's about to take it he can even be given specific instructions like 'hit it straight down the middle as hard as you can' or something like that it increases his chances of scoring the goal. In FM2009 I have defenders that regularly take penalties and they nearly always score. In fact they're probably better than my attackers at this. I think this is a really good new addition to the game. :thup:

What if there is a player who has the attribute penalty taking 1, and he scores 2 goals to make the champions league final 2-2 with 3 minutes left. In the 93rd minute of stoppage time, you get a penalty. And then this guy who happens to be one of the worst penalty takers in the country, he steps up to take it.

Even if he scores it would make it unrealistic - because he shouldn't have been given the opportunity in the first place.

Anyway - we don't know how they've implemented this feature anyway. I'm sure they've thought about this.

I don't see this as a problem tbh. If your centre back has already scored 2 goals then I think there a good chance that he'll probably score. Perhaps as he's about to take it he can even be given specific instructions like 'hit it straight down the middle as hard as you can' or something like that it increases his chances of scoring the goal. In FM2009 I have defenders that regularly take penalties and they nearly always score. In fact they're probably better than my attackers at this. I think this is a really good new addition to the game. :thup:

It is a problem though. If I have a clinical penalty taker in my team, like Van Nistelrooij, and my technically limited centre back has headed home a corner and a free kick, I really don't want him to take a penalty when 3-2 down. If the game can limit such situations and only apply this at opportune times it's a great addition though.

One thing I'm really interested in and isn't talked about in the blog, is players running with the ball. In FM09, a touch on the ball seemed to slow players down dramatically. Often players with great pace like Ronaldo or Torres would get a 10 yard head start against a slow centre back, only to almost come to a complete halt when the moment they reached the ball. This would lead to a lot of situations where a pacey player is clean through on goal only to get caught by the defender. Very frustrating when it happened to your own players. I really hope it's looked at this year, as it was reported by several users in the bugs section. Any word on that, Miles or Paul?

Nice blog! This worries me somewhat...

There are lots. I know one of your favourites is that if a player has scored twice in a match and his team get a penalty, there's a good likelihood that he'll be given the ball to take the penalty so he can get a hat-trick

I would like to have the final decision who takes the pen, what if a player with a low penalty stat ends up taking it and missing? You then go on to draw/lose the match?

It is a nice idea but I would like to make the final decision, perhaps it asks you beforehand and you can make the yourself?

Yeah i was thinking about that one myself. If a player is on two goals what if you don't want him to take a decisive penalty to make it 3-3??

Hopefully it will cut to your tactics screen before the penalty is taken so you can choose your penalty taker

What if there is a player who has the attribute penalty taking 1, and he scores 2 goals to make the champions league final 2-2 with 3 minutes left. In the 93rd minute of stoppage time, you get a penalty. And then this guy who happens to be one of the worst penalty takers in the country, he steps up to take it.

Even if he scores it would make it unrealistic - because he shouldn't have been given the opportunity in the first place.

Anyway - we don't know how they've implemented this feature anyway. I'm sure they've thought about this.

In that particular case I don't think that he will take the penalty.

Nice blog! This worries me somewhat...

I would like to have the final decision who takes the pen, what if a player with a low penalty stat ends up taking it and missing? You then go on to draw/lose the match?

It is a nice idea but I would like to make the final decision, perhaps it asks you beforehand and you can make the yourself?

The point is though in a match situation you don't have the final decision. Things happen in games out of your control, potential hat-tricks being one example... another being Robihno on a goal drought taking a penanlty for City last year (which he missed) instead of Elano.

I'm sure they'll be some restriction (either based on game importance or the penalty/composure stat of the player to "steal" the penalty)

One immediate thought I had too, although I think this is a nice touch as on more than one occasion I've got a player on 2 goals in a match we're cruising in and we get a penalty, and my player on 2 goals isn't our penalty taker so doesn't take it to get his hat-trick.

Bit off track and sorry if been mentioned before but will Chelsea's transfer ban be in operation?

Since they are planning to appeal then I would imagine that it possibly won't be in the game until the outcome of this appeal is known. I think the release date for the game is too close to make it into the final game anyway but that just my opinion. Assuming that their appeal fails then I think we'll have to wait for a patch for this ban to be in the game.

The point is though in a match situation you don't have the final decision. Things happen in games out of your control, potential hat-tricks being one example... another being Robihno on a goal drought taking a penanlty for City last year (which he missed) instead of Elano.

I'm sure they'll be some restriction (either based on game importance or the penalty/composure stat of the player to "steal" the penalty)

Really through? I know a lot of the top clubs have a rule that the penalty taker IS the penalty taker, no matter what! Well... OK, maybe I don't *know* but I've seen it in action on the pitch...

Anyway, can't you do this manually now? Surely, if you get a player on two goals you can just adjust the penalty taker during the game? Or am I missing something? Maybe doing it automatically may complicate things unnecessarily..?

I think it would be little egoistic if a player wanted to score a hat-trick though he made two goals already. It would be much better if the first-choice-penalty taker would let one of his team mates shoot the penalty when he has made a goal already or the score is 3:0. A striker who hasn't made a goal for hours should also get the chance to make a goal from the spot when the score is 3:0 or higher.

These are my thoughts concerning penalty takers. :)

In 2003 we released a game with a 2D top down representation of the match engine. Five years later, with last year's Football Manager 2009, we had a 3D display for the first time.

3D by 2013 then Miles? ;)

I think he meant 4D. I fully expect a hologram of a pitch in FM2020 where we stand inside a tent and organize all our managerial duties while speaking to opposition managers down a virtual (included) phone. All for the price of €14,000,000, the equivalent of £30 now by the way.

I think he meant 4D. I fully expect a hologram of a pitch in FM2020 where we stand inside a tent and organize all our managerial duties while speaking to opposition managers down a virtual (included) phone. All for the price of €14,000,000, the equivalent of £30 now by the way.

I heard that's in FM2021.

i don't get it. :confused:

I do he mis read. He thinks he was talking 5 years after 2009 (which itself doesnt make sense as that would be 2014) whereas he infact said 5 years after 2003 (which should actually be 2008 shouldnt it?)

Actually Im now confused myself.

I do he mis read. He thinks he was talking 5 years after 2009 (which itself doesnt make sense as that would be 2014) whereas he infact said 5 years after 2003 (which should actually be 2008 shouldnt it?)

Actually Im now confused myself.

You've got a good point - unless the first game with 2D came out in 2003 instead of 2002 like most games do (eg FM10 out in 09) then it will be 10 years.

At least it shows to all the people who aren't great at maths that you have a chance of being boss of SI ;):D

Well something about the penalty taking thing...Most teams have pre-set penalty takers...Sometimes players with high confidence inside the match usually take the risk to hit the penalty even if they are not in the list of penalty takers and go against the orders of the manager...This would be a nice addition...

• SI Staff
You've got a good point - unless the first game with 2D came out in 2003 instead of 2002 like most games do (eg FM10 out in 09) then it will be 10 years.

At least it shows to all the people who aren't great at maths that you have a chance of being boss of SI ;):D

The first game that had a 2d match engine in it from us came out in March 2003.

The first with a 3d engine was FM2009, which came out in 2008.

That's 5 years. 5 and a half if you want to be pedantic, but still 5 years...

Hmm, this is the area I was looking forward to the most and I must admit I'm a bit disappointed.

Changes in the way the penalty taker is selected? Who cares? Everything just seems like minor tweaks.

Would be nice to see players play the ball in to space more often (players always seem to get the ball to their feet, where it stays glued whilst they are dribbling) and a bit more realistic decision making wouldn't go a miss either.

Is that basically it for the match engine this year?

Hmm, this is the area I was looking forward to the most and I must admit I'm a bit disappointed.

Changes in the way the penalty taker is selected? Who cares? Everything just seems like minor tweaks.

Would be nice to see players play the ball in to space more often (players always seem to get the ball to their feet, where it stays glued whilst they are dribbling) and a bit more realistic decision making wouldn't go a miss either.

Is that basically it for the match engine this year?

Alfred wait till you play the demo mate judgeing the game off a few video's etc is abit daft when you have't played it :thup:

I think a very good addition to the game would be setting long and short freekick takers. So for example my team is Liverpool (The Mighty) and in the 2009 version i would have loved to make Xabi my long freekick taker and Aurellio short. But of course still keeping the left and right options available.

Archived