Features you miss from previous versions

I'm not sure i've ever seen it on a FM game but it was back on the older versions of CM where you could position your players where you liked when you did or didn't have the ball, never used it back then but as i play in more detail now i certainly would make use of it.

I'm not sure i've ever seen it on a FM game but it was back on the older versions of CM where you could position your players where you liked when you did or didn't have the ball, never used it back then but as i play in more detail now i certainly would make use of it.

Wibble Wobble :cool:

i really miss the complain about ref option as nowadays if a ref has a bad game theres nothing you can do about it.

Definitely want to see this option reintroduced again in FM2010. Especially with the amount of bad refereeing decisions there have been IRL this season in England especially. The FA's phone must constantly be ringing with angry managers on the other end. Fergie mostly..... :p

i really miss the complain about ref option as nowadays if a ref has a bad game theres nothing you can do about it.
Definitely want to see this option reintroduced again in FM2010. Especially with the amount of bad refereeing decisions there have been IRL this season in England especially. The FA's phone must constantly be ringing with angry managers on the other end. Fergie mostly..... :p

This hasn't left the game, you can still complain about the referee through the press conference module.

This hasn't left the game, you can still complain about the referee through the press conference module.

Yes, only if the journalist asks the question about the incident you are wanting to complain about. If they don't bother asking then you have no way of complaining about the referee's decision. I've had a few incidents this year where I have not been able to vent my frustration about a bad penalty decision/sending off in the press conference. :thdn:

The question isn't always asked in press conferences. Also, press conferences are terrible and have no impact on the game.

I liked in FM07 when you could request scout reports of your own players.

This definatly has to be put back in. when I want to see the potential of one of my own players the only way I can do it is through members of coaching staff and the assistant manager. Usually these people arent going to have the skills of a scout at measuring the potential of players.

I liked the option to send player to the reserves until match fit. I still like the current option to make someone available for the reserves, but I’d like to be able to do both as atm I usually make someone available to build up match fitness then forget to take them back out and it sometimes leads to problems such as getting injured in a reserve match he didn’t need to play.

This definatly has to be put back in. when I want to see the potential of one of my own players the only way I can do it is through members of coaching staff and the assistant manager. Usually these people arent going to have the skills of a scout at measuring the potential of players.

But that's not a scout's job. A scout's job is to look OUTSIDE the club for players. Coaches look INSIDE the club at players and training. You can access these coach reports, and they're in the same format as the scout reports. There's no need for scouts to report on your own players.

I liked the option to send player to the reserves until match fit. I still like the current option to make someone available for the reserves, but I’d like to be able to do both as atm I usually make someone available to build up match fitness then forget to take them back out and it sometimes leads to problems such as getting injured in a reserve match he didn’t need to play.

Oh yeah.....definite :thup: from me as I always forget about the players I have made available for the reserves aswell.

Press conferences do have an impact, what makes you think they don't?

Players/people react to them and are affected. How is this not impacting on the game?

Maybe I'm being a litle harsh in saying they don't affect the game. But the sheer task of answering the same dull questions with the same textbook answers makes them an inclusion which shoudl either be vastly improved, or reserved for only the biggest games where the cosmetic side of it would feel a little less over-used.

To say the feature of complaing about the referre has been kept in is simply not true. It has been incorporated into some press conferences but it is hardly what you would call a feature.

Also, there were no press conferences last year so there was no option to complain about the referee. Therefore it WAS removed.

That was excellent, I really missed that when I first started playing FM09. I've gotten used to it, but it'd be nice to have it back.

But that's not a scout's job. A scout's job is to look OUTSIDE the club for players. Coaches look INSIDE the club at players and training. You can access these coach reports, and they're in the same format as the scout reports. There's no need for scouts to report on your own players.

True, but in that case you should get more detailed reports from your coaches. Very rarely does a coach tell me anything useful about my players, whereas scout reports are always much more informative, unless it's a rubbish scout.

Also, thinking about it, it's not really an old feature coming back, but you should be able to get some kind of report on your players out on loan, either scout or coach, because if you join a club and players are already out on loan then you have no idea how good they are. For example, I started the Jose Mourinho Challenge last week, and Porto have a lot of players out on loan. How am I supposed to plan for next season when these guys come back if I don't know how good any of them are? I mean I can look at their stats, but that's not always the whole story, I don't have any clue of their potential, or how they fit into the squad's mentality.

Also, there were no press conferences last year so there was no option to complain about the referee. Therefore it WAS removed.

In Fm08 the option was still there as you describe. It only changed for FM09. It hasn't been removed, just moved for this years to be closer in line with reality, since these complaints are made in press conferences post-match.

Also, thinking about it, it's not really an old feature coming back, but you should be able to get some kind of report on your players out on loan, either scout or coach, because if you join a club and players are already out on loan then you have no idea how good they are.

This is already in the game. You can select who you want to compile match reports on these loaned players.

This is already in the game. You can select who you want to compile match reports on these loaned players.

Aha, so that'll give me a scout report? Cause I thought it just brought up the match report in your inbox. Cheers :thup:

Edit: What if they're not getting into the team? Or are at a club in a non-playable league?

Couple more I found that I’ve posted in another thread:

You used to get a news message whenever players on your shortlist were placed on the transfer list, but you don’t get that anymore. I used to be really helpful as you could act immediately, but now unless you check your shortlist all of the time a player can be sitting on the transfer list for ages and the first you’ll hear about it is when other clubs start making bids.

I also remember when setting up player instructions you could set one player’s instructions up and then have the option of setting another player to copy those instructions, so I could set up my left back and then just tell the right back to copy his settings which saved a bit time when I wanted them both to play the same.

I’m also vaguely remembering an option to copy the opposition team’s formation, but I’m not sure if I’m imagining that or not.

In Fm08 the option was still there as you describe. It only changed for FM09. It hasn't been removed, just moved for this years to be closer in line with reality, since these complaints are made in press conferences post-match.

QUOTE]

I stand corrected on the fact that it was in FM08. It's a bit of a generalisation to say that these complaints are made in press conferences. What I think you are getting at is that managers make theur feelings known in post-match interviews. Also, there is a precedent IRL for managers to take their complaints to the relevant FA, whether it be National or European. If a poor decision is made by a referee many managers will take their concerns to the FA. There are referee superviosr who attend every game and if a poor performance is deemd to be worhty of punishment, referees can be suspended for certian number of top league games, possibly dropping down a division. I think David Ellary has something to do with this "panel" fopr want if a better word.

Also, thinking back to the 2006 World Cup (or was it 2002) Graham Poll was massive favourite to take charge of the final, gien the fact that he had been a top level referee for a number of years and until then, hadn't made a rear end of a lot of matches. As it turned out, he had a few howlers, and he was promptly overrlooked for the big game. I also remember a few people in the game coming out and saying that his attitude was horrendous and that he was blowing his own trumpet at the the fact that we would be refereeing the final.

EDIT: Oops, made mess of the quote....sorry.

chairmen had much more personality on FM07. some would be interfering, overambitious etc. the chairmen on FM09 are defined by their targets alone.

also i used to like all of the transfer news going straight to my inbox. trying to keep up with it in FM09 is such a hassle that i don't bother and you start to lose touch a little with whats going on around you. it would be nice to have the option to change it.

also am i the only one who sees how useful press conferences can be? i think it's a good addition albeit repetative

also i used to like all of the transfer news going straight to my inbox. trying to keep up with it in FM09 is such a hassle that i don't bother and you start to lose touch a little with whats going on around you. it would be nice to have the option to change it.

Seconded! Also the same for things like manager hirings and firings etc.

I preferred it when I used to hear news of managerial changes.

At the end of my third season I was offered both the Man Utd and Chelsea jobs and didn’t even know they were available while in other saves I’ve received comments before games such as ‘Chelsea manager Mancini said…’ when I hadn’t a clue that Mancini was in charge.

It’s probably just as well I’m a one club manager otherwise I’d be a bit peeved if a job came and went without even knowing about it.

I preferred it when I used to hear news of managerial changes.

At the end of my third season I was offered both the Man Utd and Chelsea jobs and didn’t even know they were available while in other saves I’ve received comments before games such as ‘Chelsea manager Mancini said…’ when I hadn’t a clue that Mancini was in charge.

It’s probably just as well I’m a one club manager otherwise I’d be a bit peeved if a job came and went without even knowing about it.

this is the same problem as with transfer news. it's in a section on the league table screen now instead of going to your inbox and keeping up with it takes effort. probably the worst change since FM07

I think the principle of it is quite good, as it removes a lot of unwanted stuff from your inbox, but it still misses out stuff you want to see.

Perhaps a tick box exercise could be implemented where you can select what items you want to go to your inbox and what you’re not interested in.

its a small one but it comes in and out every now and again. You used to click on a team and it would have the two (or three, cant remember) star players in the team highlighted or *'d. It went away and then came back again in a later version. I used to like this small but helpfull feature. Especially when looking in leagues I was not too familiar with for hidden gems.

Was there an option to Scout a club in a previous FM? I think i'm going insane because i remember something like that :D

It'd be nice to have anyway, as Bilbao, there is only 1 club in France i could sign Basque players from, Bayonnais, makes sense to send my scout to that club instead of the whole of France.

There was the 'ARSE' command that would give naughty players alot more personality e.g. headbutting refs and receiving 6 month global bans.

Also having chairman that would go off and buy players without your consent, i thought that was quite a realistic feature i don't know why it dissapeared.

As said before, the sending a player to reserves till match fit. That was awesome, the new one annoys me as I always forget about players, then they get game tied or are really tired before a champs game

I loved this before, to declare my intrest in taking a job from a current coach of a club, the club will reply according to their coach status; which mean if he safe they will denay the intrest in you, but if their coach status was in danger, you will get a good response.

I miss the "rest players after matchday" checkbox... they say its coded in now but I clearly see the difference when I manually rest my players for a day after a game and when I forget to do so....

I miss the "rest players after matchday" checkbox... they say its coded in now but I clearly see the difference when I manually rest my players for a day after a game and when I forget to do so....

Yeah so do I

Archived