The Football Manager Youth Academy Challenge

38 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

how are you naming these newgens, this is my first time doing it. the year and A, B,C,D and so on  for each guy?

Really however you want to. I do season and then letters based on who I like most. So my favorite player from the first intake would be (01a). 

I've also seen year letter like 20A or even YP20A standing for youth player.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

923080180_americarn.png.f2379520e798dab0339a3a5a180104f3.png

Season Review 2019

Youth Canidates

Josenildo 19A

Squad 1 Squad 2

League Table  Transfers

Season started out with the club winning the Campeonato Potiguar for the 32nd time in club History.  Season started slow as we only had two wins in first seven games but went on a good run and finished the season in third place and advanced to the next stage/playoffs. While we didnt win the division we won the quarter final matches and was promoted to Campeonato Brasileiro Chevrolet Série B. I am a little leary about getting promoted in the first season but I am confident we can at least tread water until some of our young players progress. I will add to this post in the morning, its two AM and I am tired. 

Edited by Ross Ingersoll

9 hours ago, MikaelS said:

@darren1983

I have an incoming transfer that I didn't initiate. Do i cancel it or is it allowed to go through?

8 hours ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

I cancelled mine, but I'm also interested to know the official rule

Official rule is that if the club you take over has incoming deals confirmed then you can keep them and use them. If the deal isn't confirmed you cancel it.

1 minute ago, darren1983 said:

Official rule is that if the club you take over has incoming deals confirmed then you can keep them and use them. If the deal isn't confirmed you cancel it.

Cool, means I did the right thing. 

6 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

how are you naming these newgens, this is my first time doing it. the year and A, B,C,D and so on  for each guy?

However you're comfortable with really, most tend to do either the year they come through or how many years into their save (if the player comes through in your first season then you name him 19 or 01) letter wise it tends to be the order of the highest potential (so A-whatever) you can do that by either what you think is the order or just what your AM/coaches think. 

XaW - Kettering Town - 2019/20

KetteringTFC.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

So close to playoff last season and with the youngsters keep getting better, I hoped we could do something around the same, maybe sneak in a cheeky playoff spot or something. However, we started horribly not winning for the first 5 matches. I took a long look at the tactic, and came to the conclusion that my possession-based 4-1-4-1 were not particularly suited for this level of football. So, what works in the lower leagues in England? 4-4-2 Hoofball! So I went back to the basics to try to hoof the ball over the defense and our quick strikers can run after it. And lo and behold, it works! We started winning again and slowly crawled up the table and suddenly we were part of the battle at the top. Around Christmas we were placed nicely in the playoff spots, a bit behind Southport and Blyth Spartans. Then we went on the greatest run I've ever done in FM. From January 26th until the end of the season, we won all our league matches! Naturally, this boosted us further up the table, and in the end we won the whole thing! National league here we come!

In the FA Cup we got to the 4th qualifying round before getting knocked out by Sutton Utd. In the FA Trophy we made it to the 4th round again, beating Morecambe (who won the national leauge!) before getting knocked out by Aldershot.

And we are once again expanding the stadium

I posted the youth intake earlier, but here it is again. A lot of good youngsters, but the top of them is Ethan Davis 21e. He went straight into the first team and have scored 8 goals in 8 games!

Season	|       League	             |  Position |   FA Cup      |   Europe	|   Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019/20	|   National League North    |  9th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Just of playoffs
2019/20	|   National League North    |  1st	 |  4th qual     |   N/A	|   Promoted as champions

13 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

That's the way I do it, I go from highest potential to lowest. So first season with highest potential would have (20A) next to his name.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:47, XaW said:

I even think they have toned it down. I read somewhere they have kept something out of the game to avoid 80-100 game seasons or something...

are you sure they changed it, I just looked and im looking at around 70- 80 matches for my 2nd season with the league that has 38 matches and the three cups or whatever. two of which run like a mini league .   Going to make it interesting lol

12 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

are you sure they changed it, I just looked and im looking at around 70- 80 matches for my 2nd season with the league that has 38 matches and the three cups or whatever. two of which run like a mini league .   Going to make it interesting lol

Nope, not sure at all, just read about it somewhere...

zW6KgEF.png

Youth Intake 2023

Finally an intake I'm genuinely thrilled about. Coming into the season, we had a real player at left back and an untagged one at right back. So to get 2 left backs and a right back in this intake is great. No striker of course, but apparently we don't need one now since Matti Lähde (03a) is scoring goals for fun even though his attribute don't look any better than when he scored 2 in the past 2 seasons. Previously, our full backs could either cross or tackle, but not both, now we have Ville Peltonen (05a) who's 6'3", can do both, and has a F. Pro personality. Joel Nykänen (05b) is unlucky to be behind Peltonen (05a) since he's a good player. He can also play striker apparently and bagged a hat trick in the Trialists vs U20 match. From experience, 19 aggression on a BWM means about 0.7 yellow cards a game, so Tommi Lekkermäki (05c) will be a good sub so he doesn't get sent off every game. Toni Jussila (05d) isn't as good as either of the LBs, but he can develop with that F. Pro personality and is still equal in ability to our current RB. Kim Sulonen (05e) isn't the greatest, but has that potential and, at this point, our squad is good enough to make any 5* potential player worth tagging.

Edited by The_Gato_In_Goal

1 minute ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

zW6KgEF.png

Youth Intake 2023

Finally an intake I'm genuinely thrilled about. Coming into the season, we had a real player at left back and an untagged one at right back. So to get 2 left backs and a right back in this intake is great. No striker of course, but apparently we don't need one now since Matti Lähde (03a) is scoring goals for fun even though his attribute don't look any better than when he scored 2 in the past 2 seasons. Previously, our full backs could either cross or tackle, but not both, now we have Ville Peltonen (05a) who's 6'3", can do both, and has a F. Pro personality. Joel Nykänen (05b) is unlucky to be behind Peltonen (05a) since he's a good player. He can also play striker apparently and bagged a hat trick in the Trialists vs U20 match. From experience, 19 aggression on a BWM means about 0.7 yellow cards a game, so Tommi Lekkermäki (05c) will be a good sub so he doesn't get sent off every game. Toni Jussila (05d) isn't as good as either of the LBs, but he can develop with that F. Pro personality and is still equal in ability to our current RB. Kim Sulonen (05e) isn't the greatest, but has that potential and, at this point, our squad is good enough to make any 5* potential player worth tagging.

looking good, nice job. year 2023 already, you are cranking them out!

1 hour ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

starting to regret it, not sure I have the time and patience for 80 match seasons. any rule against starting over with another team? 

Considering people have tried and failed numerous times before I see no harm in you restarting in another place.

2 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

Considering people have tried and failed numerous times before I see no harm in you restarting in another place.

thanks, im on the fence right now. im debating. gotten use to the squad I have and am on my third coaching course so im not sure. just wanted to ask. 

1 hour ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

starting to regret it, not sure I have the time and patience for 80 match seasons. any rule against starting over with another team? 

Nah, just tell yourself you're an old git who can't handle 80 games with the youth of today, and retire with dignity ;)

KetteringTFC.png

Youth intake 2022

We just had our newest youth intake and once again we got load of talented players.

DFIVqvS.png

The most promising seems to be Nigel Ellis 22h:

oQ3qY7L.png

He can play both on the back and out wide on the left. Good physicals, very good mentals, and decent technical stats. Will probably be part of the main squad as soon as he signs.

VcnALmy.png

Neil Froggatt 22g is also a good youngster even if he need serious work on his finishing. His physical stats (bar jumping) are excellent.

I think I finally found a team and was looking to start off the challenge after hours or searching and realoding, but playing on FM Touch I could not find at all the option of editing manager experience or level. I can only find the appearence editing, but not selecting a level... Anyone encountered this problem or willing to help a poor sool willing to suffer for seasons with low quality young regens?

Absolutely devastated the 3. Bundesliga is not included in this years FM. Every year since FM12 gone RW Essen for this challenge. It just wouldn't be right starting with 1860 in the 2. Bundesliga it would be too easy.

Instead I've licked my wounds and taken over Scarborough Athletic in the Conference North, the other save I had planned. However with basic facilities and no room for improving them due to finances I could see this being unsuccessful.

XaW - Kettering Town - 2021/22

KetteringTFC.png

Going up last season, we had only a single goal this season, and that was to survive. So I kept the 4-4-2 hoofball strategy that worked well last year. It worked well enough, but I we have some severe issues with player quality. Since we are semi-pro we are just about not doing any training, so all improvements are from matches for most of the players in the first team squad. This means, of course, that there aren't that much improvement in stats. This especially shows in defense. David Liburd 20b is the heart of our defense, but other than him, the rest are sorely lacking in quality. This means we are leaking goals and we are making a lot of mistakes. This is part of the issue playing with youngsters, but hopefully they keep getting experience and won't do as many next season. It was clear from an early stage that the quality of the players here are higher than in the division below. After a decent start we hit poor form an lost 7 games in a row. This of course meant we were flirting with the relegation spots. Luckily for us, Welling Utd and Havant & Waterlooville fell behind early on and never looked like catching up, so only two spots were the places to avoid. It was only towards the end of the season we found anything resembling form and in the end we stayed up by quite a gap, finishing in a very decent 16th place

In the FA Cup we got to the 1th round, but lost away to League One outfit Wigan. In the FA Trophy we made it to the 4th round once again, but lost out to Salford after a replay.

I posted the youth intake earlier, but here it is again. I'm very excited about Nigel Ellis 22h.

Season	|       League	             | Position |   FA Cup      |   Europe	|   Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019/20	|   National League North    |   9th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Just of playoffs
2020/21	|   National League North    |   1st	 |  4th qual     |   N/A	|   Promoted as champions
2021/22	|   National League          |  16th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Survived

zW6KgEF.png

Season Review 2023

Ykkonen | Table | Suomen Cup | Squad | Transfers | Facilities | Finances | Best XI

Key Players: Ari Jurvainen (02b)Matti Lähde (03a) | Jarkko Ahola (02d)

Another unfortunate year, but we at least got a good intake. This was the table going into the final match and we drew against Ekanas in 4th, which was enough to see us into the playoffs until FF Jaro scored in the 90th minute to draw their game and send us down to third. Disappointing, but it's been a theme to this save that we never can put it all together. On the bright side, we've been scoring. After seasons of good defense and no strikers, we led the league in scoring this year. With the new defensive upgrades in the youth intake, next year has to be the year. Ari Jurvainen (02b) has 2 years left on his deal and we can only offer him 180 pounds per week in salary and he wants 450, so he might end up leaving. He won the Ykkonen Player of the Season for the second year running and is our best attacking option. We need promotion soon or else finances will run out and it'll be tough to keep players. Next years goal is promotion plain and simple, that's the only thing left for us to achieve at this level after already having finished 4th, 3rd, 3rd, and 2nd.

Season   League    Position   Suomen Cup     Europe    Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment     Achievements/Notes     Top Scorer         Most Assists         Highest Avg Rating 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019     Ykkonen     2nd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic      Lost promotion playoff   Touré (13)         Ahonen (10)          Remes (6.97)
2020     Ykkonen     8th      2nd Round       N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Jmaali (6)         Biga (5)             Ahonen (6.88)
2021     Ykkonen     4th      Quarterfinal    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Al-Take (01b) (10) Ahonen (7)           Adili (01a) (7.05)
2022     Ykkonen     3rd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Ahonen (10)        Jurvainen (02b) (11) Jurvainen (02b) (7.10)
2023     Ykkonen     3rd      Quarterfinal    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Lähde (03a) (24)   Jurvainen (02b) (11) Jurvainen (02b) (7.48)

7 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

@XaW Good work surviving in the league. Does the board let you improve junior coaching or anything since you're pretty stable financially?

Yeah, I've gotten one improvement on coaching and one on recruitment. I'm saving for professional status now, since we are making money I hope we can do it in a few years, that will really help with training.

Karsiyaka - Turkisch 2nd league white group - Season 2019-2020

Predicted: 7th

Actual finish: 1th and champions!!!

We had a difficult start of the season, with only 4 points of our first 4 games. But after that we started to play as a team. At the winterbreak we were 2nd, 7 points behind run away leaders Sakaryaspor. During the winterbreak we sold our best player for more than €1M to Konyaspor, the leaders of the League 1. His contract ended at the end of the season, and he refused to renew this contract. So I took the risk to sell him, as we could use the money. In the end it proved to be the right decision. After the winter break, we continued our good form, but Sakaryapor had a terrible second half of the season. With 2 games to play, we were crowned as champions.

Our youngsters played a very good season, and won promotion to the highest division. Playing against the best youngsters of the league, will help them a lot.

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: We won our first game against a team of a higher division, but lost our second games against Besiktas.

Tranfers: 9 incoming transfers before I took over the team, all 9 were GK. A lot of players left us, as we had way too mch players.

Youth intake: a good first intake. 6 players get a tag, all the rest didn't got a contract.

Caglar Erten (YP1a): AMC, will be a starter next season.

Murat Aydemir (YP1b): AML, will stay in the U19's for at least 1 season.

Ismael Kosmeoglu (YP1c): ST, will be in the first team next season.

Finances: Only in black because a sold my best player for a hugh fee.

Romania reset date is 30th June.

The third league is simulated, but not playable (see France's CFA)

For people looking for fallen giants: Rapid Bucharest (3 Romanian titles, 13 cups, and Europa League quarter finalist as recently as 2006) should win the third league pretty easily and be playable at the start of the 19/20 season, after being demoted to the fifth league in 2016 for financial troubles.

I'll keep cruising around Europe looking for a league to start in until the official release.

Edited by Jintro

165117749_1200px-Logo_Athltico_Marseille_svg.thumb.png.f740d27e8f8785e07a881046df90459c.png

Changing teams due to time constraints and managing in Brazil due to so many matches per year. With me making my skin this year, im not sure I will have the time for 80 matches per season. I wanted to manage in Europe and decided on France. Formally known as Marseille Consolat but now known as Athlético Marseille. Interestingly enough I had to decide between them and Seden and I decided to select these guys for a challenge however somehow they are picked to finish higher than sedan amazingly enough. 

Team Profile

Manager profile

Game Status Screen

Edited by Ross Ingersoll

23 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

They're named Athletico yet their badge looks like Barca's hmmm

The badge is still  Marseille Consolat . Im about to change it . I can blame the ess logos I use

cons.thumb.png.8c695e5e085d8ccc52f18f2f55b379fb.png

Edited by Ross Ingersoll

2f3c6896eb11e7cf47e9e8c614cd2513.png

Scarborough Athletic

Prelude - Season 1

Manager Profile |-| Club History |-| Facilities |-| Starting Squad

I was originally going to attempt to play with a lower repped team however due to impatience and a team other than Kettering/Gainsborough/Hornchurch showing up, I had a quick look at Scarborough Athletic and thought i'd go with them, mainly due to their history of being a continuation of Scarborough FC who had reached the lofty heights of the old Division Three in the nineties. In addition to this whilst Yorkshire has a fair few teams in the area, there aren't as many out towards the coast which should hopefully aid in youth intakes somewhat.

I've done the Youth Academy Challenge on numerous iterations of Football Manager but never in England, so this is a new test for me. Facilities and retention of players are the two key components so i'm pleased with what we start with - decent facilities which surely have good expansion options and £70k to start in the kitty which should tie us over for the season. A slight issue is going to be the squad size - 23 players at the moment with two retiring and another four not wanting to renew their contracts.

This could be a long opening season.

Ouch! I have always been plug-and-play tactical-wise and have therefore found the recent editions of FM quite hard.

I was hoping, that the new templates would help me setup some half-decent tactics without too much analysis and attention to all details.

But this was not good:

1a391332230278d83.png

Team was dead last for most of the season and relegation after 37 games tells all. In the process we had a couple of 0-8's and 0-6's at home:

27faa502ed9190325.png

Tried switching from the Direct Counter Attack template to the Wing Play, both 4-4-2 and a couple of other formations, but it had no effect.

Think I will start a new attempt on this challenge. On the bright side, I have found out what definitely does not work:)

On 19/10/2018 at 09:36, darren1983 said:

signing grey players isn't allowed.

With only 13 players at Bognor Regis, I find this a bit limiting... Surely you must be able to at least USE the grey players at your own club? Really don't understand the reasons for not being able to sign them as well... 

Hoping for at fast response, as I will change teams if this is not possible. 

KetteringTFC.png

Youth intake 2022/23

The youth intake this season were simply amazing! 3 players will most likely go straight into the main team, while most of the rest have good potential.

NXagMLg.png

Martin Mahon 23c is a very good offensive player. Since I don't really use an AM, I think he is going to play more as a striker due to his pace.

Jcg6WuT.png

Colin Cole 23f is a good winger and will be used as such!

Esukl7b.png

Jacub Hausham 23h is a very good goalkeeper and will rival Paul White for the spot soon!

rtTHIEk.png

4 minutes ago, allisiaa said:

With only 13 players at Bognor Regis, I find this a bit limiting... Surely you must be able to at least USE the grey players at your own club? Really don't understand the reasons for not being able to sign them as well... 

Now, I'm not @darren1983, but if I recall correctly is has been said in earlier years that you can use the grays to fill out 11 players to be able to complete a game, but not use them as subs, nor sign them permanently.

9 minutes ago, allisiaa said:

This yeah 

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Now, I'm not @darren1983, but if I recall correctly is has been said in earlier years that you can use the grays to fill out 11 players to be able to complete a game, but not use them as subs, nor sign them permanently.

Can't sign them as it goes against the rules of the challenge but can use them to fill out the side.

Edited by darren1983

5 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

This yeah 

Ok. Thank you both for fast responses.

With only 13 players at the club, I am missing a left winger. Can a grey player take this position in the starting 11, even though I will have 3 "normal players" (keeper+M(C) and AMC) on the bench?

Edited by allisiaa

After my first failed attempt at this challenge, I am back. This time at Rushall Olympic FC.

The team has no goalkeeper and only one 33 year old central defender, so this attempt might also end prematurely.

But I will nevertheless give it another go. First team to catch is Walsall FC.

20181028153247_1638c1c6ce7aaf84b.jpg

Trying this challenge with Bognor Regis. 
Perhaps this is too big of a challenge, since the squad only have 13 players in total. 

(removed name from picture) 

The fact that two of these 13 players became injured for 2 months just before the season started did certainly not help. So for some time, the 16 year old backup goalkeeper is my only substitute. (grey player in starting lineup). But let's see how this goes, and I am already desperately looking forward to the first youth intake. The one and only goal for the first season is very simple. Stay up! I only hope to stay in touch with the relegation battle, and still have a chance by the time the youth intake can save me

Edited by allisiaa

XaW - Kettering Town - 2022/23

KetteringTFC.png

After surviving quite comfortably last season, the goal was the same, survive! Everything more were just a bonus for us. The youngsters are still developing, but we are hampered by being semi-pro. There are only 4 other (Darlington, FC United, Sutton Utd and Bromley) semi-pro teams in the division this season, so against all the professional teams we had our work cut out for us. We had a tough start where we only won one of our first 6 matches, but we played quite well even though we didn't pick up as many points as we wanted. In November and December we did better and picked up some much needed wins before hitting a poor form once again. Still, we were sitting comfortably mid-table, nowhere near the relegation spots, but also not close to the playoff spots. In the closing stages of the season we once again struggled winning only 2 of the last 10, but still finishing in a very decent 14th place. 2 spots above last year. The other 4 semi-pro teams? All relegated!

We had a takeover this season, but it didn't affect us much, other than a transfer embargo that I don't bother with since I'm only bringing in youth anyway. I did get my continental pro licence just as the season ended, so that's done at least. The board continue to refuse to go pro, but somehow the thought it be good to improve the youth facilities. Not that I mind improving them, I would rather go professional though.

In the FA Cup we had a bit of a cup run as we got all the way to the 4th round were we lost away to Tottenham. Something we got about £1M for! In the FA Trophy we got knocked out in the 2nd round away to Barnet.

We had an amazing youth intake. The three top ones are Martin Mahon 23c, Colin Cole 23f and Jacub Housham 23h.

Season	|       League	             | Position |   FA Cup      |   Europe	|   Notes
2019/20	|   National League North    |   9th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Just of playoffs
2020/21	|   National League North    |   1st	 |  4th qual     |   N/A	|   Promoted as champions
2021/22	|   National League          |  16th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Survived
2022/23 |   National League          |  14th     |  4th round    |   N/A        |   Mid-table, good cup run
Edited by XaW

3 hours ago, XaW said:

XaW - Kettering Town - 2022/23

KetteringTFC.png

After surviving quite comfortably last season, the goal was the same, survive! Everything more were just a bonus for us. The youngsters are still developing, but we are hampered by being semi-pro. There are only 4 other (Darlington, FC United, Sutton Utd and Bromley) semi-pro teams in the division this season, so against all the professional teams we had our work cut out for us. We had a tough start where we only won one of our first 6 matches, but we played quite well even though we didn't pick up as many points as we wanted. In November and December we did better and picked up some much needed wins before hitting a poor form once again. Still, we were sitting comfortably mid-table, nowhere near the relegation spots, but also not close to the playoff spots. In the closing stages of the season we once again struggled winning only 2 of the last 10, but still finishing in a very decent 14th place. 2 spots above last year. The other 4 semi-pro teams? All relegated!

We had a takeover this season, but it didn't affect us much, other than a transfer embargo that I don't bother with since I'm only bringing in youth anyway. I did get my continental pro licence just as the season ended, so that's done at least. The board continue to refuse to go pro, but somehow the thought it be good to improve the youth facilities. Not that I mind improving them, I would rather go professional though.

In the FA Cup we had a bit of a cup run as we got all the way to the 4th round were we lost away to Tottenham. Something we got about £1M for! In the FA Trophy we got knocked out in the 2nd round away to Barnet.

We had an amazing youth intake. The three top ones are Martin Mahon 23c, Colin Cole 23f and Jacub Housham 23h.

2022/23 |   National League          |  14th     |  4th round    |   N/A        |   Mid-table, good cup run

congrats, just making money at that level is a feat in itself. 

Reset date for the Netherlands: july 6th (Holiday until 2020 to get a promoted team)

Maybe stay clear of Holland for a little while, as there is a problem with the B-teams (Jong ...) fielding first team players, which is not allowed by real life rules, and makes these teams overpowered for the division.

24 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

congrats, just making money at that level is a feat in itself. 

Thanks, though not hard when you get an away draw to a PL team in the FA Cup. That alone netted us more than £1M!