The Football Manager Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had my youth intake and got a lot of needed players. Two very nice prospects and the most needed is David Liburd 20b. I do need centre backs, and he should fit the mould perfectly.The other notable one is Gary O'Neill. Attacking minded midfielder with pace and a nice passing foot. Things are looking much better now.

Edited by XaW

Thought I might get the ball rolling with training, tell me if it should be posted somewhere else and I'll put it in the tactics and training forum.

How are people doing their training, are you letting your assman do it all, or are you having a go at setting up schedules yourself?

I have done it all myself, I actually took about an hour to set it up, the purpose was to concentrate on certain abilities which were - Anticipation, Concentration, Composure, Decisions, Technique, Aggression, Flair and Vision. Personally I see these as important (but I wanted to really increase Vision the most), while other abilities are either straight forward, or should see an increase anyway through positional training, I wanted to see if I could maximise their development through a training regime.

There were some categories that seemed to fit the bill more than others, so I have populated my training with them.

Attacking Patient

Defending Engaged

Transition Press

Transition Restrict

There are others that I included, but these seemed to be the most important for what I wanted to achieve.

So I created four schedules that done one after another should fill a month of training-

Schedule 1

Schedule 2

Schedule 3

Schedule 4

I also made a congestion schedule, for weeks that have two games a week.

Tell me what you think, or show me what you have done concerning training.

At the moment I have my assistant do training. I still want to try the game out properly, and I think I need a lot of time to wrap my head around the training part...

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

Just had my youth intake and got a lot of needed players. Two very nice prospects and the most needed is David Liburd 20b. I do need centre backs, and he should fit the mould perfectly.The other notable one is Gary O'Neill. Attacking minded midfielder with pace and a nice passing foot. Things are looking much better now.

Nice, if that's what I have to look forward to.....Happy days!

Liburd would be a godsend, he looks great.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

At the moment I have my assistant do training. I still want to try the game out properly, and I think I need a lot of time to wrap my head around the training part...

Understandable, I hope I haven't created an injury schedule, I most likely have, I'll just have to see what happens.

My director of football seems to change the training eaach week from what I want, to what he wants for some reason, frustrating.

I reported it, but this was my pre-season schedule I made and this is what he thinks would be good for pre-season, I don't think I can continue the save until it is fixed.

Edited by chocolatecoatedballs

Portugal reset date is the 1st of July, there are four groups so you have 20 promoted teams to choose from. I'll start a new save until training is fixed and just let the assistants do it all.

In a move being dubbed a massive surprise by many, the Barreirense Board have named Justin LLM as their manager, what were they thinking?

Facilities, Finances, First team, U19's.

Their facilities looked around top of the bunch and they actually have some depth, I could have chosen Electrico fc, but my head won that battle, it's too easy to get relegated in this league.

I just had a peak at the U19's and boy oh boy what a pleasant surprise, there were definitely four standouts who have gone straight to the first team, Paulo Cardoso 1a is already our best RB, Artur Venancio 1e is our second best CD and his potential eclipses everyone else, Fabio Pereira 1b will try to retrain him as a DLP, but he will get game time, Ruben Gomes 1c is close to being our second best striker. The good thing about these guys is their personalities, delicious.

There are others with seemingly high potential, but are unambitious.

Edited by chocolatecoatedballs

zW6KgEF.png

Season Review 2019

Ykkonen | Table | Suomen Cup | Squad | Transfers | Facilities | Finances | Best XI

Key Players: Julius Remes | Patrik Ahonen | Cheikh Touré

Finland's league schedule is all over the place. You play friendlies for 5 months until May with the qualifying for the Suomen Cup in the middle. Then you play 10 matches in 32 days through May and then 4-6 during June, July, and August and a couple in September and October. The first part of the season was brutal as we picked up 4 points in our first 7 matches. After that, we started scoring and playing solid defense. We went on to win 16 out of the next 18 only conceding 7 goals in that stretch. However, we drew and lost our last 2 games and ended up finishing 2nd before losing in the promotion playoffs to FC Ilves. All in all, it was a successful season and not getting promoted might be a blessing since I can give the youth more playing time next year and not get relegated and sacked.

Season   League    Position   Suomen Cup     Europe    Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment   Achievements/Notes    Top Scorer     Most Assists    Highest Avg Rating 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019     Ykkonen     2nd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic             N/A            Touré (13)     Ahonen (10)     Remes (6.97)

zW6KgEF.png

Youth Intake 2020

With only one nation loaded and no transfers to make, the seasons fly by. Another solid intake with a few players who could push on into the first team. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to produce a quality striker in either intake and the goals have problematically dried up this year. I like Albert Hoxha (02a) and his resolute personality, but he does add another CM into an already crowded position. Ari Jurvainen (02b) has pretty good crossing and dribbling and I think he could be a major player in a year or two. Joona Lundberg (02c) looks nearly on par with our defenders at the moment and a fairly pro personality should help him grow quickly. Jarkko Ahola (02d) has potential and some decent looking stats, but it'll be tough to give him enough game time with 3 other tagged youth players ahead of him in the depth charts. 

Edited by The_Gato_In_Goal

zW6KgEF.png

Season Review 2020

Ykkonen | Table | Suomen Cup | Squad | Transfers | Facilities | Finances | Best XI

Key Players: Karim Jmaali | Patrik Ahonen | Esa Haapala

This season certainly sent us back down to Earth. Whereas last year we went on an incredible run, this year we struggled scoring and finished one point from relegation on a last day win. Until we get a quality striker from an intake, Esa Haapala is still our best striker despite scoring only 5 goals and averaging a miserable 6.62 average rating. We still had a solid defense and only conceded 32 in 27 games, the third best record in the league. Our scoring however was dead last and we only scored 21 goals all season including stretches of only 3 goals in 8 matches and 1 goal in 7. After averaging over 7.00 ratings in the end of last season, Arto Al-Take (01b) and Aki Kekkonen (01c) both were disappointing, averaging under a 6.60. More tactical experiments may be needed next year to figure out how to score goals since we have no way to improve the team until the next intake. Goals for next year will be to avoid relegation again, bring through a striker in the intake, and develop some of the younger player that seemed to have taken a step back.

Season   League    Position   Suomen Cup     Europe    Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment     Achievements/Notes     Top Scorer     Most Assists    Highest Avg Rating 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019     Ykkonen     2nd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic      Lost promotion playoff   Touré (13)     Ahonen (10)     Remes (6.97)
2020     Ykkonen     8th      2nd Round       N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Jmaali (6)     Biga (5)        Ahonen (6.88)

So I've finallu tonight managed to find the time to download the game and install all my graphics and get the holiday season done, trouble is I now won't have time to play the save till Wednesday night now :(

Anyway I'm back, I'm in Italy with....

Bari.png.cb77db5f923f37128a2e23b7acb31163.png

Relegated to Serie D in real life after a 7th place finish in Serie B due to having no money, the new owners have decided the best way to ensure that never happens again is to focus on youth and where better than the place that produced Antonio Cassano? So off I go again. Imagine this place rocking as a team of Bari produced players take on and beat the northern powerhouses of Juventus, Inter, Roma, Milan etc as well as southern rivals Napoli

stadio-san-nicola.thumb.png.d51a496794d2e6601fa093d99bfe0bc3.png

Decided to give this challenge a proper go after doing it unofficially for the first time last year and lurking with interest in the FM18 thread.  Have to say though I'm impressed with how well some of you guys did as I really struggled but enjoyed none the less. 

I've started with Stalybridge as I have done pretty much every version of CM/FM since I first managed them on the original Premier Manager which forced you to start in the lowest possible league

Like I said I really struggled with this challenge on FM18 this was my first attempt and this was my second attempt, so getting out of the bottom division would be a success and is my main aim.  So here goes......

718.png.c234ce35d8f7efa686e33674c74f3d04.png

Stalybridge Celtic - Vanarama National League North

Untitled1.jpg.bb378f149b88c6c974bca476576f7b82.jpg

Manager Profile - Stalybridge Celtic - FacilitiesCurrent squad - Youth intake before I arrived

Freshly promoted from the Northern Premier League and predicted to finish rock bottom of the Conference North, however, they have plenty of pedigree at this level.  I Literally have no idea how this will go but I fear the worst!

Edited by bennytee

XaW - Kettering Town - 2019/20

KetteringTFC.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

When I took over the club there were some glaring issues with the squad. Most notably the lack of centre backs. There were only 2, and a left back who were "uncomfortable" playing there. I started the season with a Wing play based tactic, that seemed to work great in pre-season, but really struggled when the competitive matches started. So I went back to the drawing board and ended up with a 4-1-4-1 who alternate between going on the front foot and standing off, and that worked amazing for a good part of the season. At one point we were solidly inside the playoff spots, but after avoiding relegation were not an issue the team faltered a bit. We also had one of our few injury issues at that time, so we dropped a bit back, but still finished in a pretty good 9th place.

In the FA Cup we got as far as the 1st round before we got knocked out by Bromley. A pretty decent run. In the FA Trophy we made it all the way to the 4th round before Halifax Town got the better of us.

Oh, and we are expanding our stadium with 500 standing spots to comply with regulations and it should be done in the summer.

I posted the youth intake earlier, but here it is again. The best two players both are now part of the main squad and get a lot of game time. Gary O'Neill 20a were involved in 10 matches after he came through the ranks and got his first goal for us, and also contributed with 4 assists. A very good start for the young midfielder. David Liburd 20b went straight into the main squad and will probably stay there for a while. He is already ranked as the best central defender in the squad and even scored from a corner!

Season	|       League	             |  Position |   FA Cup      |   Europe	|   Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019/20	|   National League North    |  9th	 |  1st round    |   N/A	|   Just of playoffs
Edited by XaW

11 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

@darren1983 - Beat me to it, I want to try this in Italy too, but waiting for the official release (and get over the neutral venues bug currently in Serie C). Will need to find another club now though as you got Bari. Forza ragazzi!

I've had Bari in mind for this ever since I saw they were demoted at the end of the season :D 

I may also have to wait to really start it if that bug is happening :( 

Lot's of decent sized clubs in Serie D alongside Bari there is Messina and Modena 

zW6KgEF.png

Youth Intake 2021

Here we go again. This intake only had a couple 5* potential players which I'm taking as a good sign that means our players are getting better. Their personalities were pretty atrocious however. We did end up getting a striker in Matti Lähde (03a), but I'm not over the moon with his stats and unambitious personality. I was hoping for a striker who could contribute right away, but that was always going to be a lofty expectation. Jaakko Vartiainen (03b) is an interesting one. I always look out for determination, work rate, and teamwork as important stats in my players and he's got decent ratings in all 3, so I tagged him. Another unambitious personality hurts though. Center back is the one position I've yet to have any youths break into the first team. I've got a couple who are close, but I can't risk throwing them in to too many matches. Lasse Ring (03c) looks like he can contribute soon as he's got some nice stats all around. Finally, Jarno Malinen (03d) may not make it into the first team over all our midfielders already at the club, but I like some of his stats and if he improves in the U20s he might get some playing time.

106580.png

Hednesford Town

2019/20 Season

Manager Profile 2019 ~ Manager Profile 2020

5123054.png

League Table; Fixtures 1 - Fixtures 2 - Cups - As you can see I got off to a very slow start in this challenge in terms of results, I then switched to a flat back 5 and it began to make us that bit more solid. I still don't really have the players for the formation that I'm using but with my new youth intake I have a bit more depth in the squad and should help me for next season. I'm pleased with my mid table finish, I'm just hoping the boards expectations don't rise too quickly as I still have a very poor squad. I hope avoiding relegation again will be their target.

Squad; I had a fairly thin squad up until my youth intake, I had one goalkeeper for the majority of the season thankfully he never got injured. I've tied down anyone half decent to a new contract to go along with my intake hopefully that will keep my squad depth comfortable for the next season or two while players develop.

Youth Intake; I had a 'Golden Generation' type of intake which I'm really excited about, I got a few players with decent potential which may not mean much at this level. Jim Watt and Denis Hooper were at the club already when I arrived and the players in green are the ones I released. I probably would of released a few others but my squad was so thin, I decided to give a contract to anyone with a possible potential of 3 stars and up, here are the top 4 players from my first youth intake; Dean Ross (20A) ~ Jordan Thompson (20B) ~ Iain Blackburn (20C) ~ Chris Towers (20D)

Transfers; To show no transfers were made.

Club Overview

Club-Overview04f39be1dbb9add1.png

zW6KgEF.png

Season Review 2021

Key Players: Klajdi Adili (01a) | Arto Al-Take (01b) | Albert Hoxha (02a) | Ari Jurvainen (02b)Jarkko Ahola (02d)

Overall, this was a frustrating year. I think we have enough quality to get promoted, but we never seem able to put it all together. Just like the first season, we struggled at the beginning of the year, scoring only 8 goals in the first 10 matches. Then we started streaking and won 11 out of our next 16 while conceding only 8 goals over that period. The wins were sort of misleading since we still had striker issues. Esa Haapala scored 8 goals, but 6 of them were in the group stages of the cup, and he only averaged a 6.44 rating over 24 appearances in the league. The goals came from the midfield mostly. Arto Al-Take (01b) got 10 (5 were penalties however), Albert Hoxha (02a) got 7, and Ari Jurvainen (02b) and Patrik Ahonen got 5 each from the wings. For the second year in a row we allowed less than 1 goal per game and Klajdi Adili (01a) actually managed a 7.05 rating in goal even without scoring any himself. It's a race against time at this point since our money is slowly running out and Hoxha (02a) won't sign anything past his youth contract. We need to get promoted before we have to rebuild the club all over again.

Season   League    Position   Suomen Cup     Europe    Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment     Achievements/Notes     Top Scorer         Most Assists    Highest Avg Rating 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019     Ykkonen     2nd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic      Lost promotion playoff   Touré (13)         Ahonen (10)     Remes (6.97)
2020     Ykkonen     8th      2nd Round       N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Jmaali (6)         Biga (5)        Ahonen (6.88)
2021     Ykkonen     4th      Quarterfinal    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Al-Take (01b) (10) Ahonen (7)      Adili (7.05)

11 hours ago, Mushtaq said:

Does FM Touch still have only the small youth intakes? Might get FM19 for Switch but keen to give the youth challenge another go if I can.

Havent reach the intake yet, bu assuming its still the small intakes, however if you manage to survive the first couple of years I found no problem in the past with this. On the positive side, you now have mentoring in Touch, which will help a lot with player development.

51 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

Havent reach the intake yet, bu assuming its still the small intakes, however if you manage to survive the first couple of years I found no problem in the past with this. On the positive side, you now have mentoring in Touch, which will help a lot with player development.

Thanks, good to know. I guess after a couple of years on the full game you have so many academy players you don't even need anyway.

On 23/10/2018 at 11:14, chocolatecoatedballs said:

Nice first season Xaw, you have done well to get a 9th place finish, now that you have had a youth intake it's onwards and upwards.

David Liburd 20b looks to be developing well, he could be a real gem.

Thanks! He looks good and I hope he keeps improving.

20 hours ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

@XaW Nice work on finishing so highly and managing to keep your finances relatively stable. David Liburd 20b looks like a solid option to start next year. 

Thanks, yeah he is a real talent. I can't believe you are 3 seasons in already! Things are going quick in Finland!

@Crowy - Nice first season, safe midtable spot is always a good start.

On 19/10/2018 at 09:37, darren1983 said:

Well the Beta is out, lets get going people.

Considering you just created a new thread for FM19, I suggest you alter this a bit ;-)

This is the new incarnation of the Youth Academy Challenge started by ri916 and continued by Braumiller before I picked it up, from now on rather than have a thread every year I think we'll just have an overall youth challenge thread so that people that might still be playing an older version can still record their progress and get involved with the chat.

23 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Nah it's fine, the thread was launched alongside the FM19 beta but isn't restricted to FM19. 

But still there is a FM18 thread.

I just thought it would clear up potential misunderstandings :)

zW6KgEF.png

Youth Intake 2022

Our club is certainly not improving at the same speed as I'm playing the save. This intake doesn't have any impressive looking players, but two 5* potential professional personalities is always acceptable (it also doesn't have a decent looking striker which I still desperately need). Andreas Hakala (04a) is another CB with potential, so we now have 4 or 5 that aren't quite there yet in terms of ability but have potential. Daniel Martikainen (04b) looks decent and has that nice personality, but he'll be behind Ari Jurvainen (02b) who is our best performing player at the club. Jani Riihimäki (04c) could possibly contribute in a few years, but his personality isn't great so we'll see. All in all, we need to see some better players since we're still a semi-pro club and our earlier youth players are starting to leave the club after their youth contracts expire.

33 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

holy smokes, brazil teams play a lot games. Ive played about 20 and not even started the league season yet

I even think they have toned it down. I read somewhere they have kept something out of the game to avoid 80-100 game seasons or something...

46 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

All that makes Brazil seem rather interesting for a youth save. Lots of competitions to give them playing time and the challenge of keeping them away from European clubs.

I think the real issue is going to be down the road when I have very good players and the European teams start sniffing around and poaching my guys 

46 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

I think the real issue is going to be down the road when I have very good players and the European teams start sniffing around and poaching my guys 

But then you'll have 17 other younglings to replace them on every position!

44 minutes ago, Soviet said:

But then you'll have 17 other younglings to replace them on every position!

thats why I selected brazil, never used them in fm and ive been playing since 2004. decided to change it up, make it interesting. have a good size stadium for my level, 32k.    What good is having excellent corporate facilities in game, I never looked that up

KetteringTFC.png

We just had our youth intake, an what an intake it is! I'm most excited about Ethan Davis:

WurZFFd.png

An amazing striker at this level, and I hope I can keep him for a long long time, but I think better teams will start sniffing around soon. I will sign the whole intake though, as it seems like all of them are talented.

zW6KgEF.png

Season Review 2022

Key Players: Klajdi Adili (01a) | Ari Jurvainen (02b)Patrik Ahonen

I thought last year was frustrating, but this year was even more so. Despite the absolute madness in terms of midweek games every week for a month to start the season, we got off to a great start and were cruising in 1st place for the first part of the season. Then we started conceding goals like mad and dropped down to third on the second to last game of the season. So, despite that great start, we missed out on any chance at promotion. Our youth intake wasn't too great and we're already starting to lose players with Klajdi Adili (01a)'s contract up in a couple of months and he won't sign a new deal. The one bright side is Ari Jurvainen (02b) who led the league in assists, won player of the year, and is looking like a superb winger who's going to be here at least for 2 more years. Next year's goal is yet again to actually get promoted and yet again try to find a striker in the youth intake (our strikers have scored a combined 12 goals in the past 3 seasons in the league).

Season   League    Position   Suomen Cup     Europe    Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment     Achievements/Notes     Top Scorer         Most Assists         Highest Avg Rating 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019     Ykkonen     2nd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic      Lost promotion playoff   Touré (13)         Ahonen (10)          Remes (6.97)
2020     Ykkonen     8th      2nd Round       N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Jmaali (6)         Biga (5)             Ahonen (6.88)
2021     Ykkonen     4th      Quarterfinal    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Al-Take (01b) (10) Ahonen (7)           Adili (01a) (7.05)
2022     Ykkonen     3rd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Ahonen (10)        Jurvainen (02b) (11) Jurvainen (02b) (7.10)