The Football Manager Youth Academy Challenge

20 hours ago, allisiaa said:

With only 13 players at the club, I am missing a left winger. Can a grey player take this position in the starting 11, even though I will have 3 "normal players" (keeper+M(C) and AMC) on the bench?

Yes, you can use grey players however you want, you just can't sign them.

Edited by Soviet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That feeling when you have finally made it to the youth intake date, with only having 13 players to choose from up until this point (including a 16 year old goalkeeper being used as a substitute to outfieldplayers in any position...)...

...and it's a "golden generation"! 16 new players to choose from! 

51 minutes ago, allisiaa said:

...and it's a "golden generation"! 16 new players to choose from! 

Sorry to break it to you, but it's only a "golden generation" because it's compared to your current squad, which - as you pointed - is crap :P

19 minutes ago, Soviet said:

Sorry to break it to you, but it's only a "golden generation" because it's compared to your current squad, which - as you pointed - is crap :P

I know, but going from using "grey" players and a goalkeeper as outfield players to suddenly adding 16 new players to the team... 

It's pretty golden to me whatever quality! 

I've put my challenge in Turkey on a hold, as I didn't felt a connection to the team. Stayed up after getting promoted last season, and had a very good intake but it doesn't work for me at the moment.

31 minutes ago, Bartrcm said:

I've put my challenge in Turkey on a hold, as I didn't felt a connection to the team. Stayed up after getting promoted last season, and had a very good intake but it doesn't work for me at the moment.

Its the same way with me for the first couple of seasons. Once some of my young guys I train start playing I get into it a lot more 

HitchinTownFCbadge.png.390ddebeb97f23e55431a9555963b798.png

2019/2020 Review

Starting with a small squad and cancelling 5 transfers was hard, after the youth intake results improved so hopeful for next year. A good cup run saw some money but with almost 400k in the bank it does not allow me to improve the youth facilities, youth coaching, etc...

Had a good youth intake:

Youth.thumb.png.dfaa3aca1f195bf96b166e73bf4c6ceb.png

And a near the bottom but relatively safe season.

FinalLeagueTable.thumb.png.2663c9154d6f15062d6d42d66ab79f6e.png

1 hour ago, Bristol CityFC1981 said:

Gonna start this tonight. Quick question. Do u bother with signing scouts seeing as we’re not signing anyone and is it advised to get a head of youth development  

If I have some money to spare I always get scouts, if only to uncover the attributes of various players when I want to have a look at them. And Head of Youth Development is very important - you need to get one with good personality (proffesional, model citizen, driven) so he can influence the personality of regens.

So close!

After a season well above expectations we ended at a respectable 7.place (prediction 21.), and made it to the playoff semi finale. Dulwich Hamlet proved to be too strong, and my run for promotion stopped here.

The youth intake was good, and something to work with for the next season which should be even better now that I actually have players. 

Just tried to throw a few images in an album on imgur, to show the league table, transfers (lack therof) and a few of the most promising regens I got. Please let me know if something is missing from this post to be acceptable proof.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tWCH0RZ

Edited by allisiaa

1 hour ago, Bristol CityFC1981 said:

Gonna start this tonight. Quick question. Do u bother with signing scouts seeing as we’re not signing anyone and is it advised to get a head of youth development 

I usually have 1 scout to scout opposition before each match. Other than that I don't bother. A Head of Youth Development with good personality is a very good idea!

21 hours ago, Jintro said:

Reset date for the Netherlands: july 6th (Holiday until 2020 to get a promoted team)

Maybe stay clear of Holland for a little while, as there is a problem with the B-teams (Jong ...) fielding first team players, which is not allowed by real life rules, and makes these teams overpowered for the division.

At least from my time in Holland, it's also really challenging to get out of the second division. Good luck if you end up going there

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I usually have 1 scout to scout opposition before each match. Other than that I don't bother. A Head of Youth Development with good personality is a very good idea!

thats a good idea about scouts, I usually get them and get annoyed at all the scouting reports I get

Nice to hear of some progress, Some of you guys are doing really well.

I haven't had the time to play until now and I am having a rough time in Portugal, when you promote an under 16 youth player to the first team and he gains 2 stars just in the pre-season to become one of your better players, you know the rest of the team are hopeless lol.

I really need a youth intake to survive the drop, five teams go down and I'm amoungst it!

Still playing FM17 and am rooted to the bottom of the VNS with Slough Town so likely to fail at the first attempt.

Would I need to restart, or can I take over a side that comes up at the end of my current season?

Also, I see people get really good intakes after 1 year - how is that possible?! The blokes I got through were pretty garbage :D

57 minutes ago, KUMB said:

Also, I see people get really good intakes after 1 year - how is that possible?! The blokes I got through were pretty garbage :D

I'm playing with Kettering and the club start with quite good facilities. If you start with a club that have barely any facilities (or youth coaching and youth recruitment) then the newgens will be worse in general, though luck also play a part.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I'm playing with Kettering and the club start with quite good facilities. If you start with a club that have barely any facilities (or youth coaching and youth recruitment) then the newgens will be worse in general, though luck also play a part.

Pretty much this, recruitment increases the chance for better potential ability(youth rating in England can help, as well as reputation, scouting knowledge, where you are as a club, head of youth development and other coaches, also affiliated clubs - especially in other countries), whilst junior coaching increases their current ability when they join your club and relies purely on investment. Personally I like to increase the recruiting more than the coaching because it's cheaper and really good players will usually come in with high CA, but it's certainly nice to have both and junior coaching helps in the lower leagues more so you can throw them into your first team.

Personality of regens are effected by your Hoyd (biggest impact) and all of your staff, so if possible try to get the best personalities you can.

They are my tips, though it's all subject to chance, you can have horrible facilities and strike it lucky with a wonderkid, or it can work the other way. But I'm sure my intake will look better than it should though, only because most of my players are terrible.

Edited by chocolatecoatedballs

9 minutes ago, chocolatecoatedballs said:

But I'm sure my intake will look better than it should though, only because most of my players are terrible.

It's important to note this one. If you get a 3 star newgen, then it means the coaches rate them to be able to be as good as the average skill of your current squad. And also note that coaches can (and will) be wrong about their potential.

I wrote a post about that some time ago:

Players with average PA, according to the assistant, might be much much better as described in that post.

49 minutes ago, pug 407 said:

I'm Playing On FM2018 Can I Start On Any Continent 

Yes you can!

19 minutes ago, TheRec said:

Is it possible to do this Challenge in FM Touch? Or does it need to be the full version of the game? 

I don't see why not...

9 minutes ago, pug 407 said:

Thank You

I would just like to add that in FM18 you only got a couple of players through the intakes instead of the whole lot you get in the full fat version! I don't know if it's the same for FM19, though. Some hate only getting a few players, while other don't mind, but you should know before you do it anyway.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

I would just like to add that in FM18 you only got a couple of players through the intakes instead of the whole lot you get in the full fat version! I don't know if it's the same for FM19, though. Some hate only getting a few players, while other don't mind, but you should know before you do it anyway.

It's Ok I'm On Full Fat

zW6KgEF.png

Youth Intake 2024

Finally the 60 hours I put into fm last week took its toll. Spent the entire weekend doing work, but now I have a bit of time and can put out this update. Compared to last year, this intake isn't the greatest, but there are two strikers, so I can't really complain. Gabriel Hysa (06a) looks fairly promising with the F Pro personality and already 15 acceleration and 13 pace as a 16 year old. We already have a star left-winger and a pretty good backup full of potential, so he will probably not be seen for a couple years while he develops. Eetu Jääskeläinen (06b) has the most potential according to my assistant, but I'm not completely sold on this kid. Terrible mentals and a bad personality make me wary that he won't improve much. Ari Nissinen-Wilkman (06c) is interesting. My assistant really likes him, but I don't think he's as good as my assistant does. Ever since Hoxha (02a) left us, we've been struggling to find a consistent AM, so hopefully he can develop into a key player there. My assistant then rated Erkka Tuominen (06d) with only 4* potential, but I think he could become the best of the bunch. His physicals are lacking a bit, but those should rapidly increase the next two years. His mentals are pretty good for a 16 year old and he's got a resolute personality which is great. Technicals are decent, but give this kid a few years and I think he'll be challenging for the starting spot at striker. 

4 hours ago, Bartrcm said:

@XaW: I hope you don't mind but I also started a save with Kettering town? But my start isn't that good as yours, flirting with relegation at the end of November. 

Don't mind a single bit! Hope you get to keep Paul White and that right back fellow I don't remember the name of!

The annoying Serie C ground bug and hectic time at work means I've not played a minute of my Bari save yet, thinking now I may just wait till Friday and the full release to really start.

Well done on those flying through seasons though, it's a good read. 

29 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

The annoying Serie C ground bug and hectic time at work means I've not played a minute of my Bari save yet, thinking now I may just wait till Friday and the full release to really start. 

Well done on those flying through seasons though, it's a good read. 

Italy is hard... Players are way too good for this level. I managed to get promoted in first season as Cesena and then immediately relegated from Serie B :P.

HitchinTownFCbadge.png.d8812688797fd04feb9eba185fa559f7.png

Season 2020/2021

The season started great with good results and my team being hard to crack, got up to 6th!!! 2 points of the leader, then it all came crumbling down, injuries and difficulty to get results. I grabbed some points here and there and at the end it was close, finished 4 points from the fist relegation place.

Season League Position Win Draw Loss GF GA GD Points FA Cup FA Trophy
2019/20 Vanarama South 16th 13 13 16 45 57 -12 52 2nd Round 3rd Q. Round
2020/21 Vanarama South 18th 9 15 18 45 69 -24 42 2nd Round 3rd Q. Round

As you can see there was a problem in defense this second season, with so few goals, 3 players that used to play roles in defense getting old very fast and the young player replacing them still having holes in their game means I will switch to a 4-4-2 and try the score more goals than the opponent strategy, since I can get more developed talent in the field that way and most reports say that opponents are vulnerable to the 4-4-2.

FinalLeagueTable.thumb.png.199c0d79ec914376a1f6a4bda2bb90e6.png

Youth & Facilities

Youth.thumb.png.131dc8c71eabd6b9508683ed2988086d.png

Another good intake Zac Kennedy 21c is going to the starting eleven, Luke Hyem 21a, Liam Castle 21b, Andy France 21d and Adam Price 21o are going to be next man up at theirs positions.

Season Corporate Training Data Analysis Youth Facilities Youth Level Junior Coaching Youth Recruitment
2019/2020 Basic Basic None Basic 4 Fairly Basic Basic
2020/2019 Basic Basic None Basic 4 Fairly Basic Basic

The board keeps denying every youth related facility increase and coaching/recruitment, even with no loans and almost 500k in the bank.

zW6KgEF.png

Season Review 2024

Ykkonen | Table | Suomen Cup | Squad | Transfers | Facilities | Finances | Best XI

Key Players: Ari Jurvainen (02b)Matti Lähde (03a) | Daniel Martikainen (04b) | Andreas Hakala (04a)

We threw the title on the final couple match days, but luckily we made it through the promotion playoffs and managed to secure our place in the top flight next year. In the first leg of the playoff, we drew 2-2 but deserved to win the game comfortably in my opinion. At that point, I was afraid we'd lose the away leg. Luckily, we again were the better team in the second leg and were more clinical, riding out as 3-1 winners. With that comes a sponsorship deal of more than triple what we have now, so hopefully we can finally start to improve the facilities since they haven't changed at all in the first 6 years. We looked like winning the title throughout the season, but lost to the then last-placed team with 3 games to go and surrendered the top spot, never to regain it. It would have been nice to win the title, but after so many season I'm just happy to get out of this league.

Season   League    Position   Suomen Cup     Europe    Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment     Achievements/Notes     Top Scorer         Most Assists           Highest Avg Rating 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019     Ykkonen     2nd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic      Lost promotion playoff   Touré (13)         Ahonen (10)            Remes (6.97)
2020     Ykkonen     8th      2nd Round       N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Jmaali (6)         Biga (5)               Ahonen (6.88)
2021     Ykkonen     4th      Quarterfinal    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Al-Take (01b) (10) Ahonen (7)             Adili (01a) (7.05)
2022     Ykkonen     3rd      Group Stages    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Ahonen (10)        Jurvainen (02b) (11)   Jurvainen (02b) (7.10)
2023     Ykkonen     3rd      Quarterfinal    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic               N/A             Lähde (03a) (24)   Jurvainen (02b) (11)   Jurvainen (02b) (7.48)
2024     Ykkonen     2nd      Quarterfinal    N/A           Average                Poor               Average            Fairly Basic       Won promotion playoff   Lähde (03a) (25)   Martikainen (04b) (15) Lähde (03a) (7.28)
Edited by The_Gato_In_Goal

After not trying this challenge for the past few games, it's time for me to have another crack at this.  I'll be starting off over the channel in France.  Reset day appears to be June 20th.

Will be starting with Football Club de Mulhouse.  Will post the squad and facilities tomorrow, along with some initial assessment of them.

Kettering - Vanarama National League North - Season 2019-2020

Predicted: 20th

Actual finish: 19th

This first season was actually a big disappointment. We stayed up, but I have the feeling that we only achieved this due to the failure of other teams. We only managed to gain 39 points, and I don't think i saw somebody else staying up with this low amount of points. We only had once back-to back victories, and that was at the end of the season. Due to these back to back victories against teams also battling against relegation we stayed up. I have the feeling that our next season will also be a battle against relegation.

Games 1

Games 2

FA cup: We reached the 4th qualifying round

FA Trophy: we didn't do that bad in this competition.

Youth intake: a lot of 5* potential and 4.5* potential players but most of them needs a lot of training before they can be in the first team.

Sam Eggington (YP1a): DC, straight into the starting 11

Dale Dodd (YP1b): ST, also straight into the starting 11

Guy Holdsworth (YP1c): DL, will get some starts next season, as our normal DL underperformed a lot this season

Transfers: None

Finances: We actually made some money this year. We also could upgrade the junior coaching once this season.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 20:38, XaW said:

Don't mind a single bit! Hope you get to keep Paul White and that right back fellow I don't remember the name of!

Paul White was already transfered in the first season, but my DR Dion Kelly Evans is still at Kettering, and the stand out player.

5 minutes ago, Bartrcm said:

Paul White was already transfered in the first season, but my DR Dion Kelly Evans is still at Kettering, and the stand out player.

He is an amazing goalkeeper for me, only just now been bettered by an even more amazing youth player. Kelly Evans left after his contract ran out the first season for me, but was great the year I had him.

46 minutes ago, XaW said:

He is an amazing goalkeeper for me, only just now been bettered by an even more amazing youth player. Kelly Evans left after his contract ran out the first season for me, but was great the year I had him.

Yeah, Kelly Evans also left me at the end of the season. My 4 best players left me at the end of the season, making the next season even harder. I hope some of my youngsters step up to fill in the open spots in the team.

Also this little advice for new people in the challenge: get the board to agree to the "develop youth players" philosophy when taking over the club. It will make asking the board for upgrading facilities and improving coaching much easier later on.

word of warning for you folks, not sure what update it happened in but just noticed I lost my coaching badge , etc. its like my manager reset, says ive not even completed a press conference and ive did about 15 of them.   looks like I will be waiting for the normal version to come out 

So, I started this challenge with a different team, and ended the first save I had. Didn't feel "at home" at my previous club, even though it went way over expectations.. So, new beginnings!

I wanted to choose a team a bit more obscure, so I decided to reload the game until the very first team with team reputation below a certain point (using the rankings shown in the dafuge 19-challenge).
If revealing this reputation is seen as a spoiler, I will hide it. 

Anyway, after many, many reloads I am now the proud manager of Leatherhead 

Spoiler

team reputation: 1850

Here is my manager profile (edited, removed my name). I chose to put all 7 of the manager points to working with youngsters.

Edited by allisiaa

HitchinTownFCbadge.png.5ed72c70c487a9e6db713359c87023e9.png

2021/2022 - The 4-4-2 in the North

This year we brought out the 4-4-2 and we ended up in Vanarama North, we again started strong, it even seemed we would beat our victory and point record but with only 2 points from our last 9 games we ended up in 16th. It was not a bad season, new tactic with more goals, but we have a weak link in the right side of the defense. Luckily a youth appeared in the intake that hopefully manages to stabilize that side. We have a young goalscorer that each year gets better, some of our youngsters are improving, they give us hope that next season hopefully we break the win and point records.

Season League Position Win Draw Loss GF GA GD Points FA Cup FA Trophy
2019/20 Vanarama South 16th 13 13 16 45 57 -12 52 2nd Round 3rd Q. Round
2020/21 Vanarama South 18th 9 15 18 45 69 -24 42 2nd Round 3rd Q. Round
2021/22 Vanarama North 16th 13 7 22 54 79 -25 46 1st Round 3rd Q. Round

Season Corporate Training Data Analysis Youth Facilities Youth Level Junior Coaching Youth Recruitment
2019/20 Basic Basic None Basic 4 Fairly Basic Basic
2020/21 Basic Basic None Basic 4 Fairly Basic Basic
2021/22 Basic Basic None Basic 4 Fairly Basic Basic

FinalLeagueTable.thumb.png.997850c59f60dd5713dcaeff85220883.png

Youth Intake:

Youth.thumb.png.7f6493cc47b54f1933fca56fa660371e.png