SSD on FM

I've been wondering on upgrading my hard rives to SSDs. How much of a difference are the performance in between the two? Any recommended brands or is the Samsung EVO 500GB safest choice?

Thanks in advance

SSDs are brilliant. Once you have them you won't go back to conventional mechanical hard drives. 

Get used to your PC booting in 0.5 seconds. It'll also load your games a lot faster than typical hard drives, especially the more poorly optimised ones. I have two, one to boot windows and the other, bigger one to slap games on.

44 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Samsung evo very good. 

Overall computer performance but won't see a noticeable difference for fm but it's definitely worth the upgrade imo

36 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

SSDs are brilliant. Once you have them you won't go back to conventional mechanical hard drives. 

Get used to your PC booting in 0.5 seconds. It'll also load your games a lot faster than typical hard drives, especially the more poorly optimised ones. I have two, one to boot windows and the other, bigger one to slap games on.

I forgot to add, how does it impact performance on FM? is there notable differences in speed or general performance? 

performance is mostly going to be driven by cpu, ram & possibly gpu

I really don't know how much of the number crunching SI parse to the gpu (it could be none)

ssd's are faster at read/write functions than mechanical drives

if you have 2+ mechanical drives, use a RAID-0 set up to gain a similar read/write speed boost

An SSD will not effect game processing speed. It only effects the speed in which games are loaded up etc. If you want to increase processing power upgrade your cpu and ram. you won't need more than 8gb of ram to run FM usually, so buying  8gb high speed ram will be more beneficial than buying 16gb of low speed ram, for example 1600mhz  ram is faster than 1333mhz ram. but check what the highest ram speed is available to use on your motherboard. you might be able to "safe overclock" your current cpu and ram speeds if your motherboard allows. 

Edited by MagicHat

4 hours ago, MagicHat said:

An SSD will not effect game processing speed. It only effects the speed in which games are loaded up etc. If you want to increase processing power upgrade your cpu and ram. you won't need more than 8gb of ram to run FM usually, so buying  8gb high speed ram will be more beneficial than buying 16gb of low speed ram, for example 1600mhz  ram is faster than 1333mhz ram. but check what the highest ram speed is available to use on your motherboard. you might be able to "safe overclock" your current cpu and ram speeds if your motherboard allows. 

Very helpful, thanks.

• Administrators

As FrazT said above, it does definitely help with loading and saving times. Great if you have a large save running loads of leagues, or if you're like me and you save after every match! 

1 hour ago, Barside said:

My own limited tested suggests that the time to save an FM file is exactly the same on an SSD or HDD.

Should be a thread around with a comment from SI about this, (may even be one of your threads?) it's due to the way the save games are made up you don't see much difference between the save being on an SSD or HDD.

The main advantage of an SSD is that it will speed up your computer in general, with your Windows partition being on the SSD seeing the best results. (Also have more affect on more graphically intense games that have to swap a lot of files around, I think the latest Assassins Creed game is one that struggles if not on an SSD).

You’re probably correct that it was one of my threads, iirc it related to FM15 or 16.

I was hopeful that based on Brocky’s recent post there had been a change to the core code but it turns out that is probably not the case & Brocky might be mistaken about improved loading & saving times on an SSD.

• 2 years later...
В 18.06.2018 в 15:08, Neil Brock сказал:

As FrazT said above, it does definitely help with loading and saving times. Great if you have a large save running loads of leagues, or if you're like me and you save after every match! 

Is this the same SSD status for FM21? No real difference for day processing, more about save/load options?

Thanks

Loading and saving are the biggest benefits of SSD atm.

But the biggest thing for me when i upgraded years ago, was the boot time of windows. Its like a totally different world.

No one should still be on a HDD nowadays really.

5 hours ago, Siven said:

Loading and saving are the biggest benefits of SSD atm.

But the biggest thing for me when i upgraded years ago, was the boot time of windows. Its like a totally different world.

No one should still be on a HDD nowadays really.

This for me too. Went from taking around 30 seconds to boot windows to around 7 seconds. 

That's definitely the biggest benefit. The OS on my M.2 970 Evo Plus boots and shuts down super fast. The longest part of the whole startup process is the BIOS screen, once that closes the login screen appears almost instantly.

Edited by DementedHammer

1 hour ago, IrrelevantLion said:

It’s 2020 and people don’t have SSD’s? :idiot:

Yes. SSD's are expensive and people on a budget still go with the option that loads up your system in 40 seconds instead of the 2 to 3 times more expensive option that loads the system in 5 seconds.

Edited by goranm

10 часов назад, IrrelevantLion сказал:

It’s 2020 and people don’t have SSD’s? :idiot:

I have a SSD for Win10 and HDD for Software. Have no reason to use FM on system disk if its no better processing of days

:idiot:- its about people who say 'Somebody <something> in <context>'

Cheers.

@FrazT Thanks for answer :thup:

Edited by Novem9

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is a stupid question, I'm not great with technology. Am I right in thinking if I purchase a SSD and then move the Football manager files from my laptop hard drive to the SSD then if should just improve save and load times and will give me the capacity to increase playable nations/ leagues? 

Or is there more to it than that? I wanna get one just for speed but mainly so I can have additional playable nations as my computer can only currently handle 7/8 on a save. 

Thanks 

Edited by B3nnet7

4 minutes ago, B3nnet7 said:

Not sure if this is a stupid question, I'm not great with technology. Am I right in thinking if I purchase a SSD and then move the Football manager files from my laptop hard drive to the SSD then if should just improve save and load times and will give me the capacity to increase playable nations/ leagues? 

Or is there more to it than that? I wanna get one just for speed but mainly so I can have additional playable nations as my computer can only currently handle 7/8 on a save. 

Thanks 

The SSD will mean the game will save and load quicker.  That's as far as the impact (purely in terms of FM) will go.  

However, if you want to play with more leagues, then the CPU is the component you most need to upgrade - and whether an upgrade is possible, or whether you just need to buy a new computer depends on a number of factors.  However, if you're playing on a laptop, the only option will be to buy a new one if you want a CPU upgrade.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The SSD will mean the game will save and load quicker.  That's as far as the impact (purely in terms of FM) will go.  

However, if you want to play with more leagues, then the CPU is the component you most need to upgrade - and whether an upgrade is possible, or whether you just need to buy a new computer depends on a number of factors.  However, if you're playing on a laptop, the only option will be to buy a new one if you want a CPU upgrade.

Ahh okay that makes sense, I wasnt sure how it worked tbh. I was thinking of upgrading my laptop at some point anyway tbh. Thanks for your help 

7 minutes ago, B3nnet7 said:

Another quick question in addition to this, if I upgrade to a better laptop would i be able to keep my save for FM from my existing laptop? Dont want to have to start again. 

Yes - if you set the game so it saves to the Steam Cloud, you will automatically be able to load your game on the new laptop.

Or, you can store the save file on a USB stick, memory card or on a cloud service such as Onedrive or Google Drive and then download it to your computer that way.

If you need help with looking for a new laptop, there is a thread dedicated to just that - you'll just need to advise what your budget it and what you intend to use it for other than FM and we can help you spec up a laptop or PC to suit your needs.

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Yes - if you set the game so it saves to the Steam Cloud, you will automatically be able to load your game on the new laptop.

Or, you can store the save file on a USB stick, memory card or on a cloud service such as Onedrive or Google Drive and then download it to your computer that way.

If you need help with looking for a new laptop, there is a thread dedicated to just that - you'll just need to advise what your budget it and what you intend to use it for other than FM and we can help you spec up a laptop or PC to suit your needs.

That's great I'll definitely take a look :) thanks again