Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Roma could become more popular as a save in FM18. Totti has set the bar pretty high. :applause:

On a side note, I had never heard of Silvio Piola today so thank you Totti for that too.  :cool:

A question though.... why and how was Serie A still competed for during WWII?

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

A question though.... why and how was Serie A still competed for during WWII?

Same way Major League Baseball was played - lower quality players who didnt go off to war.

Jellico73

9 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Is FM17 worth getting lads? It's on sale so it'd only be 20 quid. The only thing I care much about is the match engine, is it improved from 16?

It depends what £20 means to you honestly. 

I missed out on playing FM15 because I loved my FM14 save so much, but still bought FM15 about a month before FM16 came out just to have a look. I can't remember how much it was, (but it was reduced), but I only played it for a weekend I think. Really just looking about rather than playing anyway. 

If £20 seems like money well spent when you consider that FM18 will be out in a few months then go for it. I suppose it depends how you are getting on with your FM16 save. Personally I would wait. If you have to ask us if it's worth spending £20, then perhaps it's not worth it for you.

It wouldn't be worth it for me, but then again I am still on the same FM17 save I started with in October 2016, so my saves last a long time.  

4 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Hmm, I think it's better, yes, and 20 is a good price. Depends on how much you'd play it. Still about 5 months to 18, but if you're happy enough with 16 there's no real need.

I'm just getting a bit fed up at the ME, crosses are the main scoring outlet which doesn't bother me too much, it's the chances like running through on goal that are always hit wide that frustrates me.

4 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

It depends what £20 means to you honestly. 

I missed out on playing FM15 because I loved my FM14 save so much, but still bought FM15 about a month before FM16 came out just to have a look. I can't remember how much it was, (but it was reduced), but I only played it for a weekend I think. Really just looking about rather than playing anyway. 

If £20 seems like money well spent when you consider that FM18 will be out in a few months then go for it. I suppose it depends how you are getting on with your FM16 save. Personally I would wait. If you have to ask us if it's worth spending £20, then perhaps it's not worth it for you.

It wouldn't be worth it for me, but then again I am still on the same FM17 save I started with in October 2016, so my saves last a long time.  

It isn't too much for me tbh, I just want a better ME and if it is the same then I'll stick it out until FM18. I've only just began my regular save so I'll have no problem just continuing it on 17. 

I'm downloading the demo to give it a go first before deciding whether or not to pull the trigger.

I have never had this before:  Currently in my second season at Kettering and it is around Christmas time.  I have won all thirteen away league games to date.  All of them!  Not sure how but there you go.  I have dropped points at home, including two defeats, but not away.

Bizarre!

5 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I have never had this before:  Currently in my second season at Kettering and it is around Christmas time.  I have won all thirteen away league games to date.  All of them!  Not sure how but there you go.  I have dropped points at home, including two defeats, but not away.

Bizarre!

Perhaps you are a strong team but haven't realised it, so teams are playing a bit for a draw and you need to be reckless to get more wins, but away from home they open up so you can beat them normally with your quality without getting through a bus.

I know there are a few guys in here who have a soft spot for all thing Gibraltarian after managing there. They are on the verge of collecting their 1st competitive point in International Football, (and it would have been a win were it not for an OG).

7 minutes to go and it's 1-1 at home to Cyprus.  

What an absolutely insane end to the season. Predicted to finish 2nd, more than half of the team were loanees, plagued by injuries and after a relegation form in the final 10 games, our main promotion opponents slipped even more than we did and we scrapped it by the very teeth! Next season is going even more fine, we're in the cup quarters, 6th in the league, our debt has been ridden and all!

482730_20170609204408_1.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Why not?

The forum's so active on the weekend that after a new post, in a few minutes your thread is bumped way down by all the other updated threads, and within a few hours it's back to where it was, and no one reads it.

19 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

The forum's so active on the weekend that after a new post, in a few minutes your thread is bumped way down by all the other updated threads, and within a few hours it's back to where it was, and no one reads it.

Honestly, you need to worry less about how many people read it and just get on with enjoying the save and also importantly enjoying the update. Do the updates for you and if someone reads or comments then it's a bonus. 

I update when I want to update because I have something to say. I couldn't give a monkeys that it's this day or that day or whatever time. Honestly, it doesn't even pop into my head.

I quite like having to search for my thread sometimes because it means the forum is busy.

10 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Laptop arrived?

Have you said who you will be managing? I can't remember. 

Yes! all set and ready to roll.

Haven't settled on a team yet - messing around with Tamworth at the moment but looking for inspiration around Europe for my thread.

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Honestly, you need to worry less about how many people read it and just get on with enjoying the save and also importantly enjoying the update. Do the updates for you and if someone reads or comments then it's a bonus.

Oh no I'm totally doing it for everyone else, that's why we all post on forums or write blogs in the end, and Football Manager is a big offender as a 'want everyone else to see and ooh and ahh' area of the internet.

I would save so much time and do so much more playing if I wasn't writing. But we all want people to see the amazing things that happen in our games even though it's happening in everyone else's so why should we give a ****?

1 hour ago, kris0710 said:

Yes! all set and ready to roll.

Haven't settled on a team yet - messing around with Tamworth at the moment but looking for inspiration around Europe for my thread.

NIce to see you back! Looking forward to the thread.

5 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Oh no I'm totally doing it for everyone else, that's why we all post on forums or write blogs in the end, and Football Manager is a big offender as a 'want everyone else to see and ooh and ahh' area of the internet.

I would save so much time and do so much more playing if I wasn't writing. But we all want people to see the amazing things that happen in our games even though it's happening in everyone else's so why should we give a ****?

Respectfully, (while that is part of it), I have to disagree. I think that's why so many people start blogs and threads and don't continue with them. Of course it's great when other people enjoy your thread, but that alone can't be enough. There has to be something in it for you. 

I used to think as you did and the long and the short of it is that it got to the stage where I found writing updates a pretty thankless and onerous task. Yes people were reading it and responding it. but my posts can be quite detailed and in-depth and it basically wasn't enough for me to to going to the effort for a handful of people to read and respond. What changed my antipathy towards such regular and detailed updates was a change in mindset rather than anything else. I document my save for me primarily. It's my record so that I can go back and pore over at a later date when things are not going so well or when I just can't remember what I did when, (brain like a sieve me). What happened is that the updates no longer felt onerous and demanding and now I was updating in more detail and more regularly and I have one of the most read and responded to threads in the forum.

What has changed? My updating style has probably evolved a little, but to an even more long-winded and boring state and yet still people read. People read and reply because I just keep posting and posting. I post at whatever time it suits me and also regularly go periods without an update when I am busy. It honestly wouldn't make even the slightest bit of difference to me if fewer/more people responded, because that's not what is driving the updates. I'm doing it because I get enjoyment out of doing it rather than because I get enjoyment out of other people getting enjoyment out of it. I'm selfish.

I will give you an example of this. Some people liked to use a tracker for their updates and I really enjoyed reading an update with a tracker in it because it made it easier to follow the thread. I designed a standard and more detailed tracker that a lot of people are using in their threads. Although I like reading threads that use the tracker, I don't like updating the tracker myself, so..... I haven't updated the tracker in ages. I'm being selfish. I'm doing what I want rather than what I think others might want. This in turn makes me want to update more which in turn increases the likelyhood of others reading and responding. 

18 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Respectfully, (while that is part of it), I have to disagree. I think that's why so many people start blogs and threads and don't continue with them. Of course it's great when other people enjoy your thread, but that alone can't be enough. There has to be something in it for you.

What's in it for me is other people reading and gushing and being invested, otherwise there is no purpose. I will only write so much as I feel happy with relative to interest anyway.

It sucked having my first decade-long (real-time) career and no one to share it with. Thus I created a thread for a new career. Same reason everyone's creating threads here and elsewhere about FM, the games they just bought in a sale, and so on.

Blogs etc. that no one cares for will die, those that get loads of views and comments, the author is going to be excited to write more.

I stopped writing mine because the career felt too unrealistic. Sounds weird, but hey.

And I think that post views trump comments all the time. I read a few people's threads religiously, but I don't comment all the time.

On a different note, in my muck about career, I've just lost 3 out of 4 Prem games 0-1, all own-goals :lol:

14 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

And I think that post views trump comments all the time. I read a few people's threads religiously, but I don't comment all the time.

For realz, just a comment once in a blue moon can make the difference between your favourite story staying or never updating again.

Having the highest view-to-post ratio in the entire forum (granted some of those are due to the author multi-posting in a row) can only go so far. I've no idea if those are all different casual people clicking, not liking it, and exiting, or if it's regulars reading the whole thing and loving it every time. Feedback is the lifeblood of a creation.

Archived