dafuge's FM18 challenge

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just had the brexit info which makes no sense.  it says that there will a limit on foreign players in the squad for british leagues and the next mail describes the work permit rules for england which means you will not be able to sign anyone foreign before the premier league.

3 hours ago, profii said:

I am tempted to do this in Spain, I know it's not in the rules but fancy a change :p

That's @Gundo's challenge. He haven't been on the forums for a while, so I guess you could revive it. Just look up the last one and copy it. I might join after I get fired from Marine. I think the boot are looming for me. Dead last and 8 points up to safety. We did win our last match though, so it might be a sign?

Edit: It might be more the Big Euro Challenge by @Lower Leagues Rule perhaps? I don't know if that will be for FM18?

Swindon69 and XAW - thats really surprising to hear, is the game proving much tougher this year as both of you usually shoot up the leagues?

After 20 games i'm midtable with 25 points and inconsistent form so it could go either way. The board has helped my finances by injecting 60K.

@Thebaker - For me it seems harder. Though I have chosen a club with a really low reputation, so that might be part of it. I think my main issue is the tactical aspect at the moment, not the quality of the players. If I compare them to the rest of the league I have a decent enough squad to survive. I think I might be overthinking this though, so I'm have gone back to basic now with a hope it will improve for us. So far I've picked up a win and a draw, so I'm hopeful I can fight for survival.

Just now, XaW said:

@Thebaker - For me it seems harder. Though I have chosen a club with a really low reputation, so that might be part of it. I think my main issue is the tactical aspect at the moment, not the quality of the players. If I compare them to the rest of the league I have a decent enough squad to survive. I think I might be overthinking this though, so I'm have gone back to basic now with a hope it will improve for us. So far I've picked up a win and a draw, so I'm hopeful I can fight for survival.

I have been using the same tactics for the last 2 fm's which seem to work at all levels just the roles change.

I have only just realised that the number  1-100 on the scouting reports refers to how highly they recommend the player not their knowledge of the players attributes.

the new scouting is taking some time to get used to, i worked out that clicking on getting full knowledge of players in the first month was costing me a fortune, the scouts have spent 5 months so far on it :eek:

14 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

I have been using the same tactics for the last 2 fm's which seem to work at all levels just the roles change.

I have only just realised that the number  1-100 on the scouting reports refers to how highly they recommend the player not their knowledge of the players attributes.

the new scouting is taking some time to get used to, i worked out that clicking on getting full knowledge of players in the first month was costing me a fortune, the scouts have spent 5 months so far on it :eek:

That's what I tried, to use the same tactic as I have before, but it don't seem to work for me. I only do a basic scouting to get the number from the scout and then bring in everyone half decent on trial. I looked and I have had 83 players on trial so far this season to get a better view of their stats and how the coaches rate them. Most are worse than I have or at least seemingly so, so most have been thrown out, some of them have been brought in though and quite a lot of them are good.

I brought in this left back who are far better than I thought I could get in. I managed to extend his contract through the next season should I survive. We also got this central midfielder I really rate. I'd hoped for more assists, but the way the team have played he have done well enough. When I also started with this striker in my squad I thought I had some fairly good players. I hope to turn the problematic times now. 2 wins and a draw in the last 4 matches are promising.

Just now, XaW said:

That's what I tried, to use the same tactic as I have before, but it don't seem to work for me. I only do a basic scouting to get the number from the scout and then bring in everyone half decent on trial. I looked and I have had 83 players on trial so far this season to get a better view of their stats and how the coaches rate them. Most are worse than I have or at least seemingly so, so most have been thrown out, some of them have been brought in though and quite a lot of them are good.

Thats what i am now doing, not scouting them much. I have signed 14 players 4 on loan. I only have had 28 on trial and almost all i would not sign mainly as they have low determination

9g4tk1h.png

These are my last 4 matches as things turned around after the win against FC United. We actually dominated them and they had no chance. Against Blyth we were unlucky as they scored on their only major chance and we squandered a lot of big chances. The best match was the win against Bradford PA where we really deserved the win. The last loss away against Stockport don't bother me. They are top of the league and probably the best team in the league. We are still last though, but only 6 point of safety so every point matters now.

23 minutes ago, XaW said:

9g4tk1h.png

These are my last 4 matches as things turned around after the win against FC United. We actually dominated them and they had no chance. Against Blyth we were unlucky as they scored on their only major chance and we squandered a lot of big chances. The best match was the win against Bradford PA where we really deserved the win. The last loss away against Stockport don't bother me. They are top of the league and probably the best team in the league. We are still last though, but only 6 point of safety so every point matters now.

Do you mind me asking what formation you're using?

5 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

Do you mind me asking what formation you're using?

I'm using a "dumbed down" version of my Liverpool tactic from FM17. It's based on how Klopp uses the players at Liverpool. I've twisted and tweaked it and I'm finally getting results. It's a 4-5-1/4-3-3. I have one control version and one counter version, so I mix and match between those to get results. I can upload them for you if you would like to try them, but I can't say for sure they will work for you. I've changed them to fit to my team, but you might use them as a base to fit to your team if you would like?

Edit: Two more wins now and I'm 1 point of safety with 8 games left.

1 minute ago, Thebaker said:

Just been offered  a new contract in jan so i must be doing something right, the boards expectations really were low

I just got a new 1-year contract as well, though I'm in April, so you seem to be doing better than me. The contract isn't worth anything if we don't stay up.

Ohh, just found a nice little touch by SI, I think. I have signed a new player, but since the transfer window have closed he won't join until the summer. When I accepted the transfer I could have him continue his trial until he signs. Should give him a better understanding of his teammates even before he signs, I hope. Haven't seen that before, so I think that's new to FM18.

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

I just got a new 1-year contract as well, though I'm in April, so you seem to be doing better than me. The contract isn't worth anything if we don't stay up.

after 23 games i am in 13th, 6 points from 7th (playoffs seem to extend much further down now) and 12 points from 20th. I am also on a 7 match unbeaten run. The board only expected 1 rd in cup progress and to battle relegation

This is the most insane match I've ever had... The ref was so against us that you won't believe it, but we still won it!

3AMcATJ.png

Yes, they had 3 pens and missed all of them! :eek:

93FvVmG.png

This was also a nice new touch. An overview of the relegation battle..

Just now, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

You can transfer any of the megapacks over from last year. Other than that, there aren't any fm18 ones out yet.

yes i know, i was asking which pack has logos that would have clubs like buxton, etc in them. The pack i normally use doesnt.

47 minutes ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

Due to poor finances, the board decreased the wage budget by about 1.5k and now they are disappointed with my "lack of control over wages." I mean obviously I'm spending over budget because you just decreased the budget I was already using.

Send it over to the bugs forum. It's still the beta version and weird nonsense could still happen in this game

130px-Merthyrtydfil.jpg

Merthyr Town Season 2018/19 Report

League- Our aims were simply to survive, as we were picked as pre-season relegation favourites. After a pretty spicy start saw us pick up 1 point from our first 5 matches, we slowly started to improve as we got used to the formation and players and by christmas we were sitting comfortably above the relegation zone. We never really looked like getting relegated or challenging for the playoffs so had to settle for a mid table spot of 11th. I'm perfectly happy with this for the first season, although we did end the season with 4 straight losses which was disappointing. 

Cups- Not much to report here, hopefully we can have some good cup runs next season.

Finances- Pretty horrible so far. Definitely need to bring in some more money next year.

Transfers- A massive changeover saw us bring in 22 new players on free transfers, most on no wages. Still getting used to the new scouting system so found it harder than usual to find good quality players but it's safe to say we improved the team significantly. Next year will see plenty of new additions, particularly a striker and centre back. 

Youth Intake- labelled as having the potential to be a 'golden generation,' it looks pretty good and while I haven't thrown any of them into the first team yet, i'm sure a few of them will manage some game time next season.

Best players- Most goals: Stuart Fleetwood- 28 A veteran striker who was pretty reliable however I doubt he'll be any more than a backup next year. Striker is certainly a position we can improve.

Most assists: James Morton- 10 Our left midfielder had a solid first season and as a youngster i'm hoping he can do even better next year.

Highest avg rating: Robbie Patten- 7.25 The centre mid, one of the few players that were at the club from the beginning, was great all season and should be able to improve further next year.

Most POM: Fleetwood & Patten- 4

Next year- I told the players that we're going for top half, as we managed this season, but i'm aiming for the playoffs. I think with the right additions we can definitely challenge for a playoff spot. I'd be happy with top 10 at the least. Some good results in the cups is our secondary goal as we were pretty miserable in them this year and definitely could use some extra money.

Season          League          Position       FA Cup          FA Trophy          Top Scorer          Most Assists          Highest Avg Rating
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19         Vanarama South  11th           3rd qual round  3rd qual round     Fleetwood(28)       Morton(10)            Patten(7.25)

First of all its so great to see this challenge up and running again. And its amazing to see the popularity so early on in the Beta version.

I kept the leaderboards for 17-version (and will still do as long as people update there.) since I had the second post. This year I was on vacation IRL during the release, so I challenge @HighFlyingDwarf to keep the leaderboards this year.

BUT for the first time, I will take part my self in this challenge for FM18. Always been a journeyman manager, so I fear I might fail at this one.

Club: Billericay - first update will come after I complete a season.

XaW - Marine - 2018/19

Marine_F.C.logo.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

New game, same challenge. Though I have felt this have been one of the hardest seasons I've played in FM for a long long while. I struggled a long time in the relegation zone, but I managed to find a somewhat working tactic towards the end of the season and finishing the season with a very good record. The last 14 matches (from I changed the tactic) we won 9 and lost 5. This was probably the only reason we avoided relegation by a hair! If we can manage something along those line next season we are in good shape. I think there will be a rather big change of the players this summer as most contracts end and I will only renew the best ones. Though I have extended the contracts of a few of the leaders at the club even though they might not be good enough. I like this new feature and it makes me approach the challenge with a different mindset.

The FA Cup was one of the highlights this season. We beat Gainsborough, Needham Market and Blyth to get to the 1st round. There we go an away tie to Bolton. We lost of course, but the money helped out, even though we are still bleeding cash. In the FA Trophy we beat Matlock before losing to Chester on pens (lost partly because of a bug...).

My best players this season have been Kisimba Kisimba (love the name), Dwight McNeil and Matty Hamilton.

T7rpVQ4.png

4 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

Xaw - your tactic is clearly working

Yeah, it seems like it's getting better now. Though I have changed it quite a bit from what I started with. I'm actually using a Mezzala at the moment, a role I hadn't heard of before FM18.

I'm still struggling with crosses though, so I think there's quite a bit of possibilities of improving it.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Yeah, it seems like it's getting better now. Though I have changed it quite a bit from what I started with. I'm actually using a Mezzala at the moment, a role I hadn't heard of before FM18.

I'm still struggling with crosses though, so I think there's quite a bit of possibilities of improving it.

Fun fact: I had a bit of a bad period, and changed my tactics. From playing a tactic when I chased players based on the tactic it self. I changed to a tactic putting the 11 players I wanted on the pitch first. Then set the formation, and player roles (and some instructions I felt correct). So now I use a Mezzala my self. Played 2 games so far, one win and a draw scoring a lot of goals :p hehe

Archived