You worst ever player injuries?

I'm in August 2017 in my FM16 long term save now, and now 3rd player damaged a cruciate ligament. All of them young players, all of them weren't at the club (injured on loan), but one of those three was hacked down by my own left-back in a match between clubs.

I don't overexercise players, I have rarely any serious problems with overall injuries/fitness in my squad, but those 3 cruciate ligaments have hampered some young careers :(

On FM12 I signed a promising youngster from Brazil, bringing him to Denmark. He couldn't settle no matter what I did, so I arranged an off-season (Jan-March) tour of Brazil, and when we returned the player was happy! He managed to get his form going and earned a u21 call up.

Sadly, while he was in Brazil with the U21s he picked up a serious viral infection and was out for a year. It sucked, but was an entertaining story.

For those who say players don't retire anymore from injuries: On FM 16 I've had two player retiring due to cruciate ligament ruptures in the first two seasons. They don't retire instantly, but they did at the end of the season. One of them became member of my staff (out of pity, he's actually really bad as a coach...). However, both of them were on expiring contracts, so players are maybe less inclined (or don't at all) to end their careers on contracts that run for multiple years to come. To be fair, why should they miss those 5 millions they will earn.

Signed Matt Mills on a free for Hartlepool, we went 1-0 up against Gillingham with about half an hour to go in the first game of the season. Later my midfielder rolled the ball back to Mills who was the deepest defender, as their striker closed him down Mills fell over and let their striker nick the ball and run clean through to equalise.

Turned out Mills had ruptured his cruciate ligaments and he decided to retire a week later. Not my best signing.

On FM 06 i brought Teddy Sheringham to Hereford United and after a Hat-trick on his debut, he scored an early goal in his second game before taking a bad fall after going up for a header. He was out for 13-14 months with a broken back. He returned the following year as he was on a 2 year deal and then promptly broke his neck and was out for another 8 months. He retired as soon as the injury was announced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This was the most recent thread I could see, so I could moan about my poor poor Strootman.

Signed him for the 18/19 season. 4 games in, does his cruciate ligament, out for 7-8 months. Manage to play him in the last game of season, he comes through unscathed.

Oh but then the next day in training he does his bloody cruciate ligament. 7-8 months out. Says he's thinking of quitting. Interested to see what happens in FM2016 if that happens.

Not in FM, but I remember in Alex Ferguson's Player Manager on PS1 a player could be out injured for 18 months....with glandular fever. :eek:

Longest injury I've seen in FM16 so far is the cruciate ligament, which tends to be for around 9-11 months. 

I have a wonderkid striker who I've been nurturing over the past couple of seasons, playing the odd game here and there. But then he got an ACL injury and is out for 8-9 months :(

That will set him back quite a bit so I've got to hope his development isn't hampered too much.

My players don't usually get injured for massive periods of time, so in this year's edition the worst I've had is like 5/6 months. Can't remember what for, but about 6 months was the longest I've had in FM16.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could remember exactly, but I'm sure I had a player either out for 18 months or retire permanently due to a spinal injury in a long-ago version of the game.

I think it must have been around 2003-4 as the player was Croatian goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa for Shakhtar Donetsk. If I remember correctly he was erroneously listed as a left winger in this particular game, even though he was a keeper.

Archived