Why run more leagues?

Hello

Could anyone explain why one would run more leagues? What I was expecting is that you can only buy players from the league that you select. However, it seems like I can buy English league players even tho I only loaded the Belgian league. So I'm a bit confused right now.

^^WHS^^ plus I always feel like I'm missing out if I do not select all the leagues & as I have a PC that's up to the task I might as make use of its full potential, damn thing cost a fortune so it would feel like a I'm throwing money away if I didn't push all the components.

Another reason I run all leagues is it allows for a greater level of evolution, if a league is inactive then the league champions, continental qualifiers, promoted & relegated sides are decided based on club rap, as club rep only changes based on success or failure it means that broadly speaking clubs in the inactive leagues will have the same reputation as they did when the game was started, even of that's 50 years into the future, for me this is a big issue in terms of gameworld immersion.

The more leagues the merrier for me. The main reason being Barside's comment on reputation. I like it when a random club from the lower reaches of a big(gish) nation improves, receives investment and really challenges the big boys. Not a tiny club to start with but RCD Mallorca have won 3 out the last 5 La Liga titles and recently spent £65m on one of my England internationals Bobby Powell.

Also Montrose in scotland are in the Championship and look dead certs for promotion. It makes the cycle more realistic.

If you don't run enough leagues the (FM) Football universe looks stale and lifeless. Loaning out players to foreign clubs is always fun and I don't like to play against grey players.

FM gives you the illusion of being a real football manager, everything that takes away that feeling is ruining the immersion IMHO.

i run all leagues availble from England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Scotland and add players from South America - gives me plenty of European choices for clubs and about 90,000 players in total.

my laptop is not the best - its an I3 from a couple of years ago but I enjoy taking my time anyway.

Maybe a silly question ....

Would I notice a benefit in loading just the top divisions from all countries .... Rather than ALL league from all countries ?

Compared to just the one country? Definitely and one I've used myself in the past.

Yes, alongside the match engine the other area that requires a high amount of processing is the transfer system, fewer division will mean that there are fewer teas active in the transfer market, memory requirements will also be reduces due to not having to store as much player/non-player, club & match data.

Cheers guys

I have most of the larger european countries plus Scandinavia and some Eastern European countries loaded - plus Brazil, Argentina, Columbia and Uruguay ... Will add all top divisions in that case :)

Too slow for you is ok for others. Simple. When I start my saves there are about 118.000 players in the database*. The speed that my computer processes the game forward with seems ok to me, but I can imagine it would be too slow for others. But I simply prefer to play in a footballing world that is as big and as immersive as possible, and I have always played FM (and CM) with as many leagues, players and staff loaded as my computer can possibly handle. The speed of the game's progress has always been fine. For me.

* All countries chosen with default leagues, but only the top 5 european ones as playable (because that's the only ones I want to manage in), the rest is view only. Then I go into "advanced" database and populate all these leagues and clubs with players by equipping every continent with all players from top clubs, high reps, national team players etc. (Because "view only" - in addition to making these leagues use a simplified and much faster "match engine" to calculate results - also means that you will strip these leagues of most players other than the very well known ones). The end result is 118 - 120k players. Just about enough, but because the vast majority of leagues are "view only", it's also running quite smooth and sufficiently fast. More processing demands (and therefore slower) because of the high number of players and staff - but then I gain some back by having most leagues as view only.

Too slow for you is ok for others. Simple. When I start my saves there are about 118.000 players in the database*. The speed that my computer processes the game forward with seems ok to me, but I can imagine it would be too slow for others. But I simply prefer to play in a footballing world that is as big and as immersive as possible, and I have always played FM (and CM) with as many leagues, players and staff loaded as my computer can possibly handle. The speed of the game's progress has always been fine. For me.

* All countries chosen with default leagues, but only the top 5 european ones as playable (because that's the only ones I want to manage in), the rest is view only. Then I go into "advanced" database and populate all these leagues and clubs with players by equipping every continent with all players from top clubs, high reps, national team players etc. (Because "view only" - in addition to making these leagues use a simplified and much faster "match engine" to calculate results - also means that you will strip these leagues of most players other than the very well known ones). The end result is 118 - 120k players. Just about enough, but because the vast majority of leagues are "view only", it's also running quite smooth and sufficiently fast. More processing demands (and therefore slower) because of the high number of players and staff - but then I gain some back by having most leagues as view only.

So the important thing is add all the leagues as you can even if it's "view only" with a big database for a big world?¿

View-only will not be of any benefit as it doesn't load in any extra players, as a consequence the clubs in those nations will behave in the same way as they do when the nation is inactive.

View-only will not be of any benefit as it doesn't load in any extra players, as a consequence the clubs in those nations will behave in the same way as they do when the nation is inactive.

So what is the best combination for a fast/full game? Load the most important leagues in europe and a medium database for example? I think my pc can handle around 50.000 players.

If i want to play i dont know around 200 years in the game the large database becomes too slow with time?

I have done several tests and this is the result:

More leagues = slower game + less AI transfer activity

Just test it yourself by going on holiday for 3 or more years and then check the top transfers worldwide.

IMO because the game with a lot of leagues becomes too 'heavy' for the AI = too much work load & less time for transfers

That was my point , yes. Hence adding players to "view only" clubs and leagues through settings in the "advanced" database. You can even watch the player count as you're doing this; Load all countries; huge player number. Start to set most leagues as view only; player count decreases. Go into advanced, populate continents with players - there's a few different options you have there; player count increases again.

That these view only clubs are treated with a simplified match engine and general AI, doesn't matter much. Firstly, I'm never going to manage in any of them. Secondly, no matter how you go about it, the FM world starts to lose its realism (or believable illusion, if you like) the moment you start to play. What we can call the club or board AI is too weak to maintain a believable environment; after a few seasons it's starting to become more and more ridiculous. 10 seasons in and the illusion and the immersion is mostly gone - no matter how you set up. The human manager is so much better at maintaining and improving his club(s) than the AI is. Well ... if the human is halfway decent at playing it, at least.

This has been my biggest concern with FM for years. For long haul career saves, the AI must be made much cleverer when dealing with squad and club management and maintenance.

Adding in players will slow the game down quote considerably due to the complexity of the transfer system, player creations (newgen's) and training functions to name but a few areas, because the default setting is for the game to use the quick match engine when processing competitions that you're not involved in I doubt there is any appreciable improvement in game speed when using view-only with added players against having the same nations active as most people tend not to turn alter the match engine settings from their default position.

The biggest killer of long term game speed is the player database as the historical data that needs to be stored in memory is ever increasing & that is what causes processing to become slower over time. The impact of active leagues on game speed remains constant from day one of a save because the number of matches to be processed never increases.

I usually load about 20, 25 different countries (80 leagues maybe) and have the engine absolutely crawling, because I just can't enjoy the game with only a handful of places to go. Sure, I might not coach in Venezuela, Costa Rica or Honduras this save, but I like to have the option of doing so should I choose :lol:

I'm playing on a low-end laptop and it makes long term saves difficult. If i load in a load of leagues, i get half a star speed and i lose interest because it takes ages. Then again, using just three or four leagues makes me lose interest because it isn't realistic and i can't develop players by loaning them out. It's a lose-lose atm.

I've seen a few people talk about running South America as a good option when you're performance limited, to help with transfers adding in the top division in Portugal & if you can Spain will also create a more vibrant transfer market.

Thanks Barside, i'll give that a go.

Final question though: What is the point of view only leagues? I thought it would make development better when sending players out on loan and would make squad building in these leagues better? Sounds like that's not the case?

i run all leagues availble from England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Scotland and add players from South America - gives me plenty of European choices for clubs and about 90,000 players in total.

my laptop is not the best - its an I3 from a couple of years ago but I enjoy taking my time anyway.

What is your Game Speed in stars?

Thanks Barside, i'll give that a go.

Final question though: What is the point of view only leagues? I thought it would make development better when sending players out on loan and would make squad building in these leagues better? Sounds like that's not the case?

IMO view-only leagues are not worth considering, unless you load in extra players for that nation they behave in exactly the same way as they would if they were inactive. View-only is a feature that was useful until the add/remove leagues feature was added.

Archived