What's up with Messi winning the World Golden Ball every year in every save? Is it a glitch?

It's currently year 2020 in my current save, and Messi who is 32 has just won the World Golden Ball for the 8th time in his career:eek:

Are you having a laugh? What is this? Every save I have had Messi has always won every bloody World Golden Ball even though his average rating per game wasn't the best. Does the game have a built-in "Messi must win World Golden Ball" command in its programming or something? :o

Are you having a laugh? What is this? Every save I have had Messi has always won every bloody World Golden Ball even though his average rating per game wasn't the best. Does the game have a built-in "Messi must win World Golden Ball" command in its programming or something? :o

Lets be honest the Ballon d'or has never been about who the best player is. Its about the person who can make the most money.

Ballon d'Or was also always about winning trophies, especially international ones, and especially World Cups. 2014 is the first year that a player got the award who did NOT win the World Cup in the current year. (And I still think Manuel Neuer would have earned it much more).

FM seems to base the the award only or mostly on CA, unfortunately.

FM doesn't process awards well. If a player has an amazing run of 5-10 games and then gets a big injury, he can still win it because his average rating stays the same. Whereas those who wren't injured will play more games the the rating will decrease.

What I find frustrating with the award is that no newgens get to win it until all the old players have retired. I think Christiano Ronaldo just won it on my latest save being 36 years old, and I haven't seen a newgen be nominated yet! Something seems wrong with reputation.

Goal of the Month is even worse sometimes!

Might be, but the Ballon d'Or is once a year, and it should be much easier to agree on a set of rules for who wins it, than goals.

That being said, apparently it is not so easy, because it does not seem to work properly.

Ballon d'Or was also always about winning trophies, especially international ones, and especially World Cups. 2014 is the first year that a player got the award who did NOT win the World Cup in the current year. (And I still think Manuel Neuer would have earned it much more).

FM seems to base the the award only or mostly on CA, unfortunately.

Messi Won it in 2010 Spain won the world cup......

Might be, but the Ballon d'Or is once a year, and it should be much easier to agree on a set of rules for who wins it, than goals.

That being said, apparently it is not so easy, because it does not seem to work properly.

This game does it by average rating I think.

Well thats clearly not true. The award has been on the go for a long time, long before money became as prevalent in football as it is now.

Oh yeah totally agree with that, was maybe hasty with my original comment. I just hate how they don't take into account the league that the players play in or what they have actually achieved. Messi was voted 2nd best player in the world after a trophyless season, and an average world cup (and his laughable "Golden Ball" award). It just brings about the old "but can he do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke".

Oh yeah totally agree with that, was maybe hasty with my original comment. I just hate how they don't take into account the league that the players play in or what they have actually achieved. Messi was voted 2nd best player in the world after a trophyless season, and an average world cup (and his laughable "Golden Ball" award). It just brings about the old "but can he do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke".

In the old Ballon d'Or version from 1956 to 2009, you rarely had players who would win the trophy twice or even less three times. Cryuff, Platini and Van Basten being some expections.

Granted, the new version is only 5 years old, so 3x Messi and 2x Ronaldo could just be an exception again, but the format change in voting hepls "world wide brands" scooping all the votes very much. Let's be honest, there are countries out there where the national team captain or the most prolific football journalist probably does not watch a lot of Serie A or Bundesliga matches, but sees Messi and Ronaldo everyday smiling down on him from big poster ads or in TV spots for shoes, perfume and green tea. That does make an impact.

The thing is, the award is meant for an individual and every one judges the team. If Ronaldo and Messi were "unlucky" enough to be born in Nigeria, they would never have even the slightest shot at a national team competition. I mean, Bale will never win anything at that level and he is the monster winger that he is. Or Drogba, or Touré, or Modrić.

Even Ronaldo, the monster that he is, will never win anything in that regard, as Portugal, the good team that it is, is not good enough to aspire to a big win like a Euro or World Cup. So, to say that on a national team competition year, the award MUST go to one of the champions is idiotic, even more when you realize that the award is for a whole year's performance, not three weeks.

That being said, even actually winning something should not be the end of all discussion. Messi didn't win anything else except the Spanish Supercup and the World Cup Golden Ball (and that one was ridiculous), but he still performed way, way above everyone else except Ronaldo.

So, to say that on a national team competition year, the award MUST go to one of the champions is idiotic, even more when you realize that the award is for a whole year's performance, not three weeks.

I didn't say it must. I said that this had been established as some kind of unwritten guideline over the years, and understandably so, because the World Cup is a major tournament that will stay in the memory of the worldwide audience who certainly have forgotten already how Barcelona or Manchester played in January "last year".

And my impression is that FM does not seem to take these things into account when deciding on the Ballon d'Or.

That being said, even actually winning something should not be the end of all discussion. Messi didn't win anything else except the Spanish Supercup and the World Cup Golden Ball (and that one was ridiculous), but he still performed way, way above everyone else except Ronaldo.

Manuel Neuer established a completely new tactical role for goalkeepers during the last years, and went into the camera spotlight with it during the World Cup, which might have impacts for a generation of football to come. Compared to this, Messi was "just Messi" this year: Impressive, certainly. Outstanding sometimes. But, as you said, neither "new" nor actually winning something.

I didn't say it must. I said that this had been established as some kind of unwritten guideline over the years, and understandably so, because the World Cup is a major tournament that will stay in the memory of the worldwide audience who certainly have forgotten already how Barcelona or Manchester played in January "last year".

And my impression is that FM does not seem to take these things into account when deciding on the Ballon d'Or.

That was not aimed at you, it's just a general feeling that I get in World Cup years. Look at Cruyff (?). The guy actually said that Neuer deserved the prize just for being world champion and Ronaldo didn't deserve the prize because he won nothing of relevance... except for the half dozen conquests that he had, including the biggest club prize there is: the Champions League. He goes on saying that in a World Cup year the prize MUST (read MUST) be awarded to a World Champion, which is ridiculous in every way. As I said, I pity the players that aren't lucky enough to be German or Brazilian, because they could never win the prize, even if they were a mix between Maradona, Ronaldo and Eusébio.

Manuel Neuer established a completely new tactical role for goalkeepers during the last years, and went into the camera spotlight with it during the World Cup, which might have impacts for a generation of football to come. Compared to this, Messi was "just Messi" this year: Impressive, certainly. Outstanding sometimes. But, as you said, neither "new" nor actually winning something.

Yes, I do agree that Neuer deserved to be above Messi, but it's false that he established a new tactical role. Yashin did it many years ago, although with some differences, as no player has the exact same role, but the sweeper, ball distribution thing is not new. That being said, he is clearly above every other goalkeeper nowadays, and I don't even see a current young goalkeeper that could even be adequate to a similar style of play. He's like a handball goalkeeper mixed with a regista.

Messi and Ronaldo always have very high average rating in stats.

They are great players, but for example Messi have 15 goals and 8 assists in 30 appearances, and have avr of 7.89. And my player with 30 goals and 5 assists have only about 7.30 sometimes.

Probably it's because of their high dribbles per game stat.

Archived