Supporting a team because of Football Manager

The big team for me has been St. Pauli. I started following them about the time I picked up FM2010 and had a blast. I own a couple shirts, jacket, coffee mug and have a sticker on my truck.

I get score updates on them, but haven't found a very reliable way to watch any of their matches. Someday I'll make the long trek across the pond to get to a game... someday.

I was tempted to do a 4 hour round trip to Leicester City, stay in a premier inn, go out and about, get to know the locals before embarking on a long save. On a more serious note though always enjoyed managing Ipswich for some mad reason.

I was tempted to do a 4 hour round trip to Leicester City, stay in a premier inn, go out and about, get to know the locals before embarking on a long save. On a more serious note though always enjoyed managing Ipswich for some mad reason.

You should do! We're a friendly bunch :)

I'm a life long Manchester City fan, but since my epic save on FM09 with Porto, i follow them over the internet and watch their games on the tv when they are on. I know its sad for a 42yr old, but i have bought a Porto shirt every season since FM09.

Kettering for me, except they've an into a spot of bother with finances around the time Bale went to Madrid, was gutted. I used Kettering in a Dafuge style challenge and played with a mate who went as FC United on a separate save.

Got Kettering to 5th in the Prem multiple times from 2025 to 2039 and back to back winners of Europa League but I just couldn't break into the Top 4 which consisted of Arsenal/Chelsea/City and United who were all owned by billionaire oilmen who were the majority of the clubs who'd be interested in buying my players.

Sadly it became monotonous in the end and I grew bored of finishing outside the top 4 for 14 seasons, losing a few of my best players every year to the teams above me

(Admittedly as an Arsenal fan if they were interested in my players and any of the other 3 oil clubs were interested I'd only let them go to Arsenal)

I have a very soft spot for Dorchester Town, who i have managed on career saves since 09, even to the point whenever i go to dorset to visit family, I go see a game!

Also big soft spot for AS Roma, from cm 2 days, when i managed them exclusively for the whole version (and then versions after that)

For me it's Atletico Madrid from 2007 and Heerenveen from 2012(I think).

An intended Journey man game, I started as Barcelona B manager, had a great first season before the A team poached my players on the last day of the window in the 2nd season leading to me under-performing and getting the boot only to soon end up at Real Sociedad B then somehow at the end of the season at Real Zaragoza who where now in the third tier. After dragging them back to La Liga with the help of my Assistant Manager Sami Hyypia, my superstar signing Andy Carroll failed to live up to expectations amongst the rest of my team, so again I ended up jobless, and they gave Sami the boot as well. Then in April Heerenveen called and me along with Sami Hyypia answered taking them on an undefeated run and into the Europa League. The following season with my new signings Kevin Prince Boatang, Gary Hooper, Wayne Hennessey and Robert Snodgrass were ready for whatever Holland and Europe threw at us... almost. Knocked out by AC Milan in the round of 64 in convincing fashion I couldn't help but be disappointed, lost the cup in the final and pipped at the post for the league title by Ajax. So close, yet so far.

With little to spend I brought in a few youngsters to the squad... and Carl Jenkinson, and with the horror of last season in my mind we rallied. We stumbled through our champions league group and knocked out Anderlecht in the round of 32 only to find out Real Madrid were waiting for us, the reigning Champions of Europe, home first leg, away second. Five minutes in, it's 1-0 to us, I won't last I thought. Then it happened, penalty, Real Madrid's keeper has been sent off, and the goals kept flying in. Come full time, we beat them 6-0. I couldn't believe it. Bouncing from this win, we went into the second leg looking to park the bus. I wasn't stupid, Madrid would of smashed us if we went looking for a win. And even with 6 at the back, we lost 5-0, going through in the most unconvincing style... Oh and we ended up doing the treble. But it was that game I fell in love with Heerenveen. Before leaving when Dortmund came calling for a season, and then Barcelona the season after. I reached my goal when I started the game, Sami Hyypia stayed at Dortmund to manage, I couldn't begrudge him of that. But still what we did at Heerenveen was magical, no matter what I did at Barcelona I knew I would never top conquering Europe with Heerenveen.

SV Spakenburg from 2012.

I played with a file for the 3rd tier in the Netherlands, manage the promotion into 2nd tier in the 2nd year, was one or two years in the Eerste Divisie and than we promoted into the Eredivisie. 2018/19 we won our first Championship, but we had no chance in Europe. :(

Walsall FC from 2013.

I followed Walsall since I was there for a practical period years ago and 2013 I played with the Saddlers. And we won some titles and played in the Europa League. Walsall will be my main save this year.

Bath city

San Marino

Leixoes (2nd division Portugal)

Magdenburg

Had a lot of fun managing them in previous FM versions, and checking them weekly.

But nothing is better than supporting my own team Racing Mechelen (Belgium second division) in real life.

Seeing as I'm an American who had very little interest in the sport before trying the game a couple years ago, it's not that surprising that this happened to me. After managing Man U for about 3/4 of a season, and then a rather disastrous attempt at LLM with Luton, I decided to try starting unemployed and wait for some firings. I was hired by Eastleigh, and I don't think I've played a game in FM with another club since. Follow them IRL too now.

When playing CM95/96 with two roommates I started with Swansea and then left for Wigan, both in 3rd division back then. Always checked on their results after that and managed to see them play in real life when they played a preseason game against my own team FC Eindhoven.

I don't exactly have a team yet but since the Mls was added in 2005 I have been a fan, I am looking into finally choosing a team after these 9 years as I am going next Sunday to the states and will be looking into finally choosing a team.

DC United or Portland Timbers, don't succumb to the Galaxy, Sounders or NYRB hyperbole,

I don't think I could even consider it support, but my ears do perk up whenever I am listening to a certain British sports radio station on match days and one of the following is mentioned: Bristol Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Salisbury City, Barnet, FC United of Manchester.

I have a Huddersfield Town Centenary edition shirt on my wall nice and shiny :) oh the old good days with free time and fm addiction.

I bought a Plymouth Argyle away orange shirt that i wear when i go to play footie and thats because of the story and long career i had with them on fm 14 :)

Stil looking for a Oldham Athletic home shirt to buy ( aint from UK ) same with that grey West Ham shirt they had years ago , those are the clubs i watch closely results or live because of fm :)

Was a guy a year or two back on the forum who went to watch a Dutch side who he got into from playing FM, he put videos and pics up of the day would be good to dig that thread up.

Personally I haven't, love my team too much to get into supporting/liking any other teams.

AFC Telford, I started playing as them on FM 11 and since then have always looked out for their scores

They were my first lower league club, until I could take control of St. Albans.

I've liked Hull for ages. Since they were League 2. I wanna say 01? I picked them to take up the charts just because I liked their name and colours... Ever since then I've been a side-supporter.

Archived