FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

Its not, it really isn't.

So, how come it says in in-game Hint and Tips that Determitnation is one of the most important atrributes? I'm pretty sure it says the same in research guidelines, because I used to be a Head Researcher.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't said it is more important than those attributes, but it is still an important attribute. If you go behind in a game, Determined players will get fired up and try to inspire the team to get you back into the game. Take Van Persie for instance: his Determination is 19, and he's so often in my season he has been the player to get us back into a match after we've gone behind. If you watch the games, your determined players genuinely react and act in a determined manner. I need to have determination in my team, personally.

That's down to their personality, not the "Determination" attribute. (I'm well aware that "Determination" is high for a few of the 'better' personalities).

Wouldn't Determination be a part of their personality?

I kind of pointed out that it is fairly high for some of the 'better' personalities. However, that doesn't mean it exclusively down to the fact that that attribute is there, as you seemed to be suggesting previously.

How are you all using Kagawa? He's playing okay - he has a 7.17 average - but I can't seem to get the best out of him.
243hr2w.jpg

I play him in the hole behind my 2 strikers, as a Advanced Playmaker with roaming. Scored 17 for me this season in 40 games and assisted 8

Determination is supposed to help development and also how a player reacts when losing.

I try and avoid decreasing it, or if i can, increase it. got Evra turturing shaw ATM, and i'll take the 1 point drop.

I'm playing shinji on the left wing, as i play 4-4-2

currently in January, trying to offload deadwood.

0-0 against City in FA cup away

0-0 against wigan, welbeck headed a few crosses against the bar from practially under it.

made one signing so far.

D2D58A581C0732599AA1B3F45CD8C9B021218EB1

well he wont come until next season, but not a bad freebie.

Hmmm how sure are you with that? I've always been led to believe (from untold posts on the forums) that Dertimation is the most important stat on determining wether a player fufills his potential.

And I would actually pick Player B, assuming that hes a youth player with bags of potential

Determination is supposed to help development
ambition and professionalism are important for player development, determination play no direct role in that

So, how come it says in in-game Hint and Tips that Determitnation is one of the most important atrributes? I'm pretty sure it says the same in research guidelines, because I used to be a Head Researcher.

Please don't play the head researcher role especially as you are using it in the wrong context. Determination might matter for how the players are scored for research purposes.. But for player development determination has nothing at all to do with development. The only 2 attributes that matter for development and whether someone fulfills or reaches potential is ambition and professionalism.

Hmmm how sure are you with that? I've always been led to believe (from untold posts on the forums) that Dertimation is the most important stat on determining wether a player fufills his potential.

And I would actually pick Player B, assuming that hes a youth player with bags of potential

That's what happens when people listen and take advise from those who don't even understand the game. You should drop into the tactics and training forum sometime :D

How are you all using Kagawa? He's playing okay - he has a 7.17 average - but I can't seem to get the best out of him.

I got him onloan at Everton and was using him as my false9.

Please don't play the head researcher role especially as you are using it in the wrong context. Determination might matter for how the players are scored for research purposes.. But for player development determination has nothing at all to do with development. The only 2 attributes that matter for development and whether someone fulfills or reaches potential is ambition and professionalism.

That's what happens when people listen and take advise from those who don't even understand the game. You should drop into the tactics and training forum sometime :D

I got him onloan at Everton and was using him as my false9.

No need to be a smart ass given that I was using it in the right context. :) Where did I says that the Determination is one of the most important attributes in player development? I've only said that ''it's one of the most important attributes, if not the most important one'' (overrally) and that ''I wouldn't never tutor a player who has higher Determination that his tuttee'' (which is my personal preference and beacuse I like to have a group of determined players).

No need to be a smart ass given that I was using it in the right context. :) Where did I says that the Determination is one of the most important attributes in player development? I've only said that ''it's one of the most important attributes, if not the most important one'' (overrally) and that ''I wouldn't never tutor a player who has higher Determination that his tuttee'' (which is my personal preference and beacuse I like to have a group of determined players).

Personal preference = opinion which in turn means you can be wrong and its not true. Determination is no more important than the other attributes, things like decisions are even more important than determination so to make statements like;

Determination is one of the most important attributes if not the most important. I'd never tutor a player if his tutro has less Determintaion then the tutee (spelling?) does.

Makes it sound like its a fact when it isn't. And I wasn't being smart but you made out being a head researcher made a difference somehow when it doesn't, it has no bearing at all. If you value it above all else then that's fine as its your opinion and the way you play. It can be useful to have in players no denying that but to say its more important that others can be misleading and I like to stamp myths out because people then believe it to be gospel. There are too many lies on these forums with people making out something works in a way it doesn't, I just wanted to make sure this didn't happen here.

Anyways enough of this now, lets not ruin this thread.

Personal preference = opinion which in turn means you can be wrong and its not true. Determination is no more important than the other attributes, things like decisions are even more important than determination so to make statements like;

Makes it sound like its a fact when it isn't. And I wasn't being smart but you made out being a head researcher made a difference somehow when it doesn't, it has no bearing at all. If you value it above all else then that's fine as its your opinion and the way you play. It can be useful to have in players no denying that but to say its more important that others can be misleading and I like to stamp myths out because people then believe it to be gospel. There are too many lies on these forums with people making out something works in a way it doesn't, I just wanted to make sure this didn't happen here.

Anyways enough of this now, lets not ruin this thread.

Agreed when it comes to personal preferences. That's just my personal preference when it comes to tutoring, which mighht be right or wrong. Work so far for me. My mistake was that I didn't write that it's my personal preference, but that's what I've meant, instead it sounded like a fact which is not.

When it comes to Determintation, I didn't say that it's more important then other attributes, I've just said that ''it's one of the most important attributes'' (which is correct), that part ''if not the most important'' (is not correct in general, but at times it can be, when losing in a match players need to be determined to turn it aorund for e.g.).

The only mistake I've made is that I should have said that I'm not talking about player development when it comes the ''Determination is one of the most important attributes if not the most important'', but I was talking in general, and in general that is correct.

As of HR position, I don't have all the guidelines anymore, but in one of the guidelines it says: ''Determination - How much determination he has to succeed on and off the field.'' So, it actually has to do with player development according to that guideline. Aside of that, it sounds pretty much like one of the most important attributes.

Guidelines are for FM 2013, so I doubt they are much out of date.

So, it actually has to do with player development according to that guideline. Aside of that, it sounds pretty much like one of the most important attributes.

Which is wrong. I can't be bothered to find the link but Riz addresses this in GD and says it has nothing to do with player development :)

I was on the verge of offloading him because he didn't fit into my team, but I played him up top as a false 9 in a 4-4-2 and he has been quality.

August/September/October Update

Transfers

5d0f842b458becfdb41340fdd9d9d6a4.png

Otavio and Doria have been revelations and began repaying their transfer fees immediately. Jese has done well when hes played too, as have Leandrinho, Silva, Romero. Werner Hasn't played much at all.

1a34f70ba59342944c4954e98400063c.png

Selling Tom for £30M was a no brainer really. Buttner wouldn't have gotten any first team action, and I thought Johnstone would develop better than Amos.

League

Notable Fixtures

Southampton (A) Lost 3-2 [Leandrinho (9), Rooney (pen 70)]

Cardiff (H) W 2-0 [Doria (22), Evans (47)]

West Ham (A) W 3-1 [Carrick (pen 25), Otavio (28,5)]

Chelsea (H) W 2-0 [Otavio (48), Valencia (57)]

Newcastle (A) W 2-0 [Chicharito (34, pen 38)]

Arsenal (H) W 4-1 [Jese (13), Otavio (18), Jones (62), Doria (74)]

Norwich (H) W 3-1 [Jese (pen 41), Young (73), Chicharito (76)]

Everton (A) W 3-0 [Kagawa (12), Young (27), Otavio (55)]

Hull (A) W 1-0 [Nani (32)]

fbc4326cd22f73ae066c3126ad30a538.png

Community Shield

52620f1c0d9fb957388f230ec6eb0fc8.png

Capital One Cup

14b07aa5fe26ab5592aeff783d2a5b1e.png

Champions League

eb38cb83253bcd1635faae25549f1156.png

746ae9cd6e97d4bf4a47c2b4cff797b5.png

Overall I'm really happy with how we're doing on all fronts and only having the one loss!

Standout Performers

Otavio - 10 games - 7 Goals -0 assists

Ashley Young - 12 games - 4 goals - 12 assists

Finished my first season with United with save from the beta version. Will probably start new one later today or tomorrow. Finished 3rd in the League, Won League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League.

Rooney and Persie scored only together 18 goals in 78 matches! But Hernandez scored 25 goals in 43 matches.

Playing Shinji exactly the same as Verby, such a great player played in that role. What formation are you playing Verby?
I play a 4321 at home and a 4132 away, but in that 5-1 victory away I played my home tactic as Aston Villa were on a bad run and just wanted to kill them off quick and fast

Just started a start-up game with United on the full version.

Anybody else struggling to offload players now the full game is out?

I've offered Ashley Young out for as low as £4m and still no interest...

Could only get rid of Young for £0M on the beta. Haven't been able to get rid of Ando, sold Cleverley for £30M though.

Just started a start-up game with United on the full version.

Anybody else struggling to offload players now the full game is out?

I've offered Ashley Young out for as low as £4m and still no interest...

Even on the Beta I had trouble offloading Young. I ended up letting him go for free to Everton.

Just finished my first season.

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-2_zps0e58a886.png

1st in the League. Incredibly, we won 18 of our first 20 games and had an 11 point lead by January. However, our form wobbled in the second half, with losses away to Chelsea, Cardiff, Everton and a home loss to Stoke. We managed to hold on, though, and secured the league in Week 37. Our final loss came on the last day of the season, away to Swansea, when I let my girlfriend play the match. She lost 1-0, so I'm not sure if she has a future in management.

Got to the 1/4 finals of the Champions League. We beat Real Madrid, but Bayern Munich beat us 1-3 at Old Trafford to send us out after a first leg 0-0. The final will be Chelsea vs Arsenal.

Got to the 1/2 finals of the League Cup. An aggregate 0-0 score against Man City sent us to penalties, and we lost.

Lost in the 6th round of the FA Cup to West Brom.

AdnanJanuzaj_OverviewAttributes_zps54e0e731.png

This is how Januzaj has progressed for me. I got Kagawa to tutor him, an experience that went so well that me and Shinji are now the only listed people in his favoured personnel. He's played surprisingly well on the left wing when used as an AP, with him and David Alaba consistently linking up very nicely. He also won Goal of the Season with a header from the edge of the box.

ChrisSmalling_OverviewAttributes_zps01c57671.png

Smalling won the Players' Player of the Year. His value has absolutely sky-rocketed.

RossGarrett_OverviewProfile_zpsd52d378b.png

Found a nice wonderkid I'll be trying to sign!

The squad needs a big reshaping. Evra and Ferdinand are definitely set to leave, I'm hoping Giggs will retire and Carrick wants a new contract but his agent doesn't want to hear it. I'm hoping I can offload some of the players who were consistently poor for me, like Rooney, Nani and possibly Hernandez. Cleverley has improved considerably over the season; I'm considering keeping him to see how much further he can actually develop.

Started a new save, can't decide on a central midfielder to go for. Tried to get Koke but Monaco offered him huge wages and he went there. Might see how much PSG want for Verratti.

Kovacic. Cost £12m. Started slowly, but has gradually developed into a 'wonderkid' and a very good DLP with a few goals in him:

MateoKovacic_OverviewAttributes_zpseea5516b.png

I just noticed this, Does anyone else use the additional graphics?

Because i always have to have the player faces, team logos, team kits and also the stadium pictures.... Seems i am the only one to do that....

i use the one's from fansite's (megapack etc..)

Couldnt really turn this offer down, plus it was 45m lump sum. Weird thing is they approached a week before hand, with a 16m offer, I told them I want 40m and hey replied offering 19m. I saw Madrid and Barca were interested aswel so i offered him out to all clubs for 45m. PSG snapped my hand off while Madrid offered 32.5m and Barca 30m. I must find a replacement now, any recomendations?

35mh6bk.jpg

Montoya, Clyne, Walker, Peruzzi, Azpillicueta, Mario Fernandes, Carvajal, De Sciglio, Danilo, Puel.

I've managed to sell Nani (value £9m) for £15m to Monaco, and I'm close to selling Rooney (value £14m) to Bayern/Madrid for £20m. Decent deals, or should I be looking for more?

£20m for Rooney seems a little low to me, but if you're really not impressed with him then £20m plus his wages off the bill would probably be good.

I'm now 5 games into my season, 100% record so far in all comps even with RVP injured atm.

Transfers in:

Eder Balanta - £11m

Ander Herrara - £15m

Outs:

Young - £1m to Everton

Anderson- £7.25m to AC Milan

Buttner - £2m to Rubin Kazan

Macheda - £1m to Brighton

I did try to get other CM's before going for Herrara but they either went to other clubs or were more than I was willing to pay.

I'm looking to get a LB, Back-Up GK and possibly another CM or 2 (depending on Cleverley and Fletcher) in for next season.

Same for me!

He has 4 assists in 4(1) games in the league so far for me. I'm going to rotate him with Nani on the right.

i started a save with united when i first got the game on tuesday just messing about with tactics and signings, i had valencia on the right and nani on the left and they where immense, starting again now, gonna try make it a long term one, although i do get bored or pissed off fairly easily lol

Nani? i find him a bit wasteful, especially when i have shinji on the left and tony V on the right.

smashed Aston Villa 4-0

anyway Beat Man city 1-0 in FA cup replay, goal from Darren Fletcher :D

completly battered 2nd placed Newcastle and drew 1-1 :(

Beat Wigan 3-2 in League cup to semi 2nd leg to get through to face....... Nottingham Forest.

want a left back, you cant go wrong with Alaba or Shaw

might sign this guy, i know i cant have him yet but, looks far too good to miss, was told 15.5m when I offered.

DBF44383DAB366130A622E07099609A6DBB9635C

I got to the 1st July, and half of my staff had left because I forgot to renew their contracts. I didn't even see the staff section in the contract reminder news...

So I re-loaded my game. Things have worked out more or less the same. I'm selling Nani for £15m and Rooney for £23m, but now I only get 75% of the transfer fees whereas before I was getting 90%.

I'm buying Lamela for £29m and Luke Shaw for £14m. I think they will probably be the only major signings I make, although I still want a young CB to replace Rio.

omg, I can not understand why some peoples sell world class Rooney.

I can't understand why some people use "OMG" rather than just typing out "Oh My God". The world is full of mysteries................

On another note, it is likely to be influenced by real life feelings towards him.

started a game this morning. was a little sceptical about tactic etc after reading all the horror stories. I decided to give it a go regardless.

I opted for a 4411

xjTM2K0.png

team instructions

07nXJtd.png

so far its going well but im under no illusions as I have only played a handful of games. won them all but its a long season!!!

sG1q69a.png

have been playing gigs on the left and he has been excellent so far 4 assists in 3 games!

rooney upfront swapping with RVP

rooney 5 goals in 3 games but 4 of them came in the charity shield

RVP only played 1 game and not scored

been playing shinji as the enganche and doing well. 3 goals in 4 games with 1 assist.

still work to do on the tactic but so far so good.

oh here is my transfer history

VTNYsgN.png

omg, I can not understand why some peoples sell world class Rooney.
I can't understand why some people use "OMG" rather than just typing out "Oh My God". The world is full of mysteries................

On another note, it is likely to be influenced by real life feelings towards him.

He consistently played poorly. Welbeck was a better striker than him, and Januzaj and Kagawa were better AMs. Plus, he was coming towards the end of his contract and I had no interest in renewing it.

I'm thinking of setting up a tactic like (4231):

--------------- De Gea -------------

-- Rafael -- Rio -- Vidic -- Evra --

-------- Carrick -- Fellaini --------

-- Kagawa -- Rooney -- Januzaj --

---------------- RVP ----------------

Any idea's on individual roles etc?

I want to play a pressing game (when out of possession), but controlling and dominating possession when I have the ball.

I'm thinking of setting up a tactic like (4231):

--------------- De Gea -------------

-- Rafael -- Rio -- Vidic -- Evra --

-------- Carrick -- Fellaini --------

-- Kagawa -- Rooney -- Januzaj --

---------------- RVP ----------------

Any idea's on individual roles etc?

I want to play a pressing game (when out of possession), but controlling and dominating possession when I have the ball.

Carrick - DLPs

Fellaini - CMd

Kagawa - IFa

Rooney - SSa

Januzaj - APs

RVP - DLFs

If you have Januzaj in a support role, make sure your full back behind him is attacking so he can overlap.

Carrick - DLPs

Fellaini - CMd

Kagawa - IFa

Rooney - SSa

Januzaj - APs

RVP - DLFs

If you have Januzaj in a support role, make sure your full back behind him is attacking so he can overlap.

Yeah, I'd want both RB and LB to over lap and attack.

Archived