FM14: Manchester United FC Thread - Dawn of a New Evra!

batty1

The only signings I've made are Ross Barkley and James Ward-Prowse (although he's now on loan to Swansea). I sold Anderson to AC Milan and Buttner to PSV. I couldn't give Ashley Young away so he's stayed unfortunately. I've kept everyone else in the first team including Nani (although he's been injured for ages) Valencia and Cleverley.

Ross Barkley has done better than I thought he would as an advanced playmaker centre midfield so far. I had thought initially he would only play against bottom half of the table teams but he's playing himself into bigger and bigger matches. I'm using Januzaj per-dominantly from the bench.

So far so good playing a mix of 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1. I haven't needed to resort to my more defensive tactic third tactic yet. So far I've played 4 won 4 in the Premier League including beating City 2-1 and Hull 6-0. Just comfortably beat Real Sociedad in the first game of the Champions League as well.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm struggling to fit Januzaj into my United Team, I'm thinking of maybe retraining him as a creative FC (Trequartista/F9?)

All my tactics require pacey and direct but defensively capable wingers, playing from the MR/ML position. So his lack of outright pace, low crossing and inability to play ML means he doesn't fit out wide.

In the middle I play with a BWM/Anchor/B2B depending on the Opp and a DLP. The DLP needs to be semi-competent defensively, which with tackling, positioning and marking of less than 3 there doesn't seem to be much point retraining him there.

So I'm thinking of of retraining him as an FC that can drop deep and link play/create chances for a poacher/adv forward. He's only 9 on finishing but I guess I could improve this by putting him on heavy finishing training? He doesn't seem to have trouble putting the ball in the net due to his composure and technique, so he'd only need a modest increase I guess. He then offers flexibility in playing as an AM pushing on or an FC dropping off depending on where the space is.

What do you lot reckon?

I'm struggling to fit Januzaj into my United Team, I'm thinking of maybe retraining him as a creative FC (Trequartista/F9?)

All my tactics require pacey and direct but defensively capable wingers, playing from the MR/ML position. So his lack of outright pace, low crossing and inability to play ML means he doesn't fit out wide.

In the middle I play with a BWM/Anchor/B2B depending on the Opp and a DLP. The DLP needs to be semi-competent defensively, which with tackling, positioning and marking of less than 3 there doesn't seem to be much point retraining him there.

So I'm thinking of of retraining him as an FC that can drop deep and link play/create chances for a poacher/adv forward. He's only 9 on finishing but I guess I could improve this by putting him on heavy finishing training? He doesn't seem to have trouble putting the ball in the net due to his composure and technique, so he'd only need a modest increase I guess. He then offers flexibility in playing as an AM pushing on or an FC dropping off depending on where the space is.

What do you lot reckon?

So far in my save(1.5 seasons played) increased his marking tackling pos to 6....strength stamina to 10.............attacking attributes u cant even think of :p...........i first train him in b2b mid to increase his ant nd stamina....now training him in deep lying playmaker...........the only cocern is aerial ability which i dont think i can do much about

Anyone tried Alex Sandro as an alternative to the usual left backs?

Yes, he's fantastic, and he can also be tutored by Evra to get his mental stats up. I think the new patch made it so Alaba became much more expensive so Sandro is the obvious replacement.

Nice one Batty. :) What about the transfer kitty? Don't know If I'll have FM14, but still I'd like to know. :D

Cheers Fabio, great to see you around still.

Title Challenge: Transfer Budget: £33.5M Wage Budget: £2.4M

Winner: Transfer Budget: £38.5M Wage Budget: £2.6M

Cheers Fabio, great to see you around still.

Title Challenge: Transfer Budget: £33.5M Wage Budget: £2.4M

Winner: Transfer Budget: £38.5M Wage Budget: £2.6M

Thanks mate.

I'm not that interested in FM as I used to be. :( I guess I'm getting old. :D

Am pleased with budgets though.

Thats a shame, it is better than 13 though :D

I always play 30+ season and in 13 I've only played 6. :S Didn't have time despite having the best newgen ever. :D Looking for some vouchers in GD, so I could buy 14 cheaper. :D

Hi Guys

Just started my save last night which im hoping I will carry over to the full release. These are my signings so far, also have Honda coming in January for free:

2p8c.png

Using the following experimental tactic which look to best utilise Kagawa/Rooney/RVP/Draxler. Working well so far. May switch it to 4-3-2-1 instead of 4-2-3-1

Draxler has been good so far

- No "we are getting overrun in midfield" shouts from ass man

- At least 60% possession in each of my 8 matches

- lots of shots on target

xd7v.png

can you upload your tactic?

Dont get this game at the moment. I'm only 6 games in in my season and last 4 games i have had this below,

1-1 at Home with Fulham, 14 shots 10 on target

Lost 1-0 to Sunderland away, 17 shots 12 on Target

Drew 1-1 with Tottenham Away with 15 shots 9 on Target

And just lost to West Ham 1-0 at home with 26 shots and 15 on target.

Nothing will go in for me, golden chances just being shot straight at the keeper or skyed over the bar, I'm even using attacking match prep and playing a 4231 attacking formation

just because something doesnt happen on your game doesnt make it nonesence, i'm asking a question about defending to improve my own to play away from home, because the shouts are similar for defending.

But, everything you say is a nonesense.

just because something doesnt happen on your game doesnt make it nonesence, i'm asking a question about defending to improve my own to play away from home, because the shouts are similar for defending.

Well, you suggested that there was a problem within the game regards defending away from home. You didn't ask how to defend away from home.

It's not my fault that you permanently spout this stuff yet have nothing to back it up and never log a bug report.

seems to be a lot of random red cards in this game.
I have had 2 red (of which one was from a secound yellow) in competitive fixtures, and made it to jan already, so I dont think there is any problems with the game here, more probably just ppl overreacting on very small sample size

Guys,

I have the choice between Draxler or Pedro as my AMR/right winger - any thoughts?

Any other suggestions...?

Thanks

On a related note, could anybody 3/4 seasons in post a screenshot of how Draxler develops? Especially if they control him and have had him tutored, that'd be good. Cheers!

Finished my first season.

Premiership - champion

Champions League - won vs Barca,3-1

FA Cup - lost semis vs Hull

Carling Cup - lost quater vs Everton

Players in: Vitinho (free), Brandt (free), Luke Shaw(24.5mil), Costil (free)

Players out: Doria(loan), Callum Chambers(loan), Ashley Young(free), Evra (free), Nani(24.5mil), Giggs(free)

Squad for 2nd season:

GK's: David De Gea, Benoit Costil, Ben Amos

DR's: Rafael, Guillermo Varela

DC's: Rio Ferdinand, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Jonny Evans, Michael Keane

DL's: Fabio, Luke Shaw

MC's: Tom Cleverly, Michael Carrick, Koke, Darren Fletcher, Nick Powell, Marouane Fellaini

AMR's: Wilfried Zaha, Antonio Valencia

AM's: Adnan Januzaj, Shinji Kagawa

AML's: Vitinho, Danny Welbeck, Julian Brandt

FC's: Javier Hernandez, Wayne Rooney, Robin Van Persie

Bank balance: 212mil

Transfer budget: 79mil

I have had 2 red (of which one was from a secound yellow) in competitive fixtures, and made it to jan already, so I dont think there is any problems with the game here, more probably just ppl overreacting on very small sample size

It's what he always does, so I wouldn't take what he posts vaguely seriously. :thup:

Guys - few questions:

For United's Possession Football philosophy, how do I go about this? Would simply playing attacking football and dominating most games be enough, or should I look to set specific team instructions like shorter passing, etc.?

Also, would you recommend setting up a tactic with set player roles - for example using a DLF as my ST no matter who plays or when Chicharito plays using him as a poacher, or otherwise changing player roles depending on who plays?

Guys - few questions:

For United's Possession Football philosophy, how do I go about this? Would simply playing attacking football and dominating most games be enough, or should I look to set specific team instructions like shorter passing, etc.?

Also, would you recommend setting up a tactic with set player roles - for example using a DLF as my ST no matter who plays or when Chicharito plays using him as a poacher, or otherwise changing player roles depending on who plays?

i'm having good results with attacking - fluid , short passing , play narrower , higher tempo

Guys - few questions:

I just told the board I wanted different things to be judged on, so removed possession football and added give youth a chance

Started my usual first game with United this evening. Well actually I tell a lie I did a season with Napoli but got bored quite quickly of Serie A.

First thing I did was promote Brian McClair to Assistant Manager. I feel he has all the tools for the role plus I didn't like the look of Steve Round. Replacing McClair I stole Liam Brady from Arsenal and made him my Head of Youth Development. No other staff changes as of yet.

The transfer market has been difficult so far. Managed to sell Buttner and Macheda easily enough but Anderson was much more tougher. Ended up letting Milan have him for £5m but I'm more than glad he's off the books. I wanted to sell Young too but no-one has made a bid at all as of yet. Only player I've signed so far is James Ward-Prowse who looks a talent. I want Shaw but the price is a little steep in my opinion. Still got a month left of the window though so things may change with him and hopefully Young may leave.

Going to try a 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 to start with. But I may also introduce a 4-3-1-2 if I'm getting no joy from the wide men.

Thanks Batty,

Any suggestions for a AMR? Not too keen on Nani or Valencia!

Ta

No worries, Valencia is doing ok for me. Nani's only played once and we lost 3-1 to god damn stoke. Sloppy defending from a freekick gifted them a goal and they scored while I had 10 men as Fellaini got injured after I'd used all my subs.

Depends how much budget you have left, Oxlade-Chamberlain or Shaqiri maybe.

I wasn't refering to my team, i was saying in general terms for the game in terms of red cards, i never said MY TEAM gets a lot of red cards I said the GAME specifically.

stop being insultive with the comments, and asking a question on someones defending in away games is perfectly fine, i'm not going to report bugs based on an experiance, if someone else has similar defensive shuts to me, I would rather find out if they have the same issue, then take it from there.

has anyone else tried to develop Ben Pearson? seems to be fairly decent in the game for me.

I wasn't refering to my team, i was saying in general terms for the game in terms of red cards, i never said MY TEAM gets a lot of red cards I said the GAME specifically.

stop being insultive with the comments, and asking a question on someones defending in away games is perfectly fine, i'm not going to report bugs based on an experiance, if someone else has similar defensive shuts to me, I would rather find out if they have the same issue, then take it from there.

Who are you randomly rambling to? The poster before you made no such remarks that you refer to? :confused:

Decided to use my first save as Man Utd to get me used to it all.

After reading through here, i decided to sign - (So far)

Alaba - £10m (plus Young)

Draxler - £18m

Hughes - £6m

De Bruyne - 6m

Honda - Free (Jan)

Sold - (So far)

Young - Part Ex - Alaba

Hernandez - £25m to Arsenal

Currently only in the start of August, knew my targets and went after them in a heartbeat.

Not finished at the minute tho, looking for another Striker, particularly a young one. Want to develop team around Zaha, Henriquez and Januzaj.

On a side note, i have sacked all of staff. No kidding. Like to select my own Staff.

Signed René Meulensteen as my assistant, as i quite often do. And Lieven Maesschalck as my Head Physio

After an uninspiring 1st season, got knocked out of all cups and just managed to scrape 2nd on the last day of the season. I added quite a bit to the squad.

My team so far:

GK - De Gea - Ter Stegen

RB - Rafael - Grun (newgen)

DCR - Jones - Smalling (also back-up RB)

DCL - Vidic - Balanta (also back-up LB)

LB - Luke Shaw - Moreno (newgen)

MCR - Carrick - Verratti - Curro

MCL - Fellaini - Ward-Prowse

AMR - Valencia - Nani

AMC - Rooney - Kagawa - Januzaj

AML - El Shaarawy - Bakkali

ST - RVP - Benteke - Welbeck

I have also got a few newgens I am training up to replace Vidic, Carrick & Valencia

I have Zaha, Timo Werner and Powell out on loan too.

In terms of coaches I signed Rene Meulensteen back, I also signed a GK Coach - Oscar Rodriguez & Coach - Sergio Zanetti after moving Giggs to u18 coach.

Lindegaard was terrible and Amos wasn't upto much, so I was looking for a back-up keeper and Ter Stegen was only 6.5million as he was in the last year of his contract. I've been mainly playing him in Champions League group games and League Cup but doesn't hurt to have a quality keeper if De Gea gets injured.

Who are you randomly rambling to? The poster before you made no such remarks that you refer to? :confused:

if you have nothing to say about the game say nothing at all?

i asked a question in that post, didn't ramble once, and havn't all thread, you are just being rude now.

and I have to ask, has anyone tried to get Valdes on a free?

Started this new game quite well playing a 5-3-2 with wing backs and an attacking midfielder, using this because the wingers are useless and there isn't much quality out there to buy. It also gets Kagawa, Rvp and Rooney in thier best positions.

Sold Cleverley for 16 million, Valencia for 20, Nani for 12, Anderson for 8, Fabio for 4 and Buttner for 4.2.

Alaba in for 24 million, Montoya for 5.5, Ward-Prowse for 16 and Sergi Roberto for 10

The wing backs are ridiculously good no matter who plays, all 4 averaging over 8 after 10 league games, quite often the highest positioned players on the pitch.

Had to play Keane and Kagawa up front for a few games too, what's the chances of Rvp, Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez all being injured at the same time. Kagawa unsurprisingly very handy in the false 9 position though

Valdes' problem is that he often has wage demands that Ibrahimovic would be proud of. I've had him walk away from talks after being offered less than £190k p/w. It's much easier to go for Akinfeev, Khune or another quality goalkeeper with much lower demands.

Archived