*Football Manager 2014 - ANNOUNCEMENT*

Nicely done, my wife is a football fan so she is pretty handy for a real life assistant manager. I tried her on a game ofFM, but she didn't enjoy it. She doesn't mind me playing it though. Gives her a chance to watch Surbugatory and all that sort of stuff anyway.

Luckily enough my g/f is an Aberdeen fan as well so i should get a bit more leeway with her when it comes to FM.

Its a sign of the times, women are beginning to accept FM!!

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must be really lucky, my wife and I were talking about the beta possibly being released later in the week and she offered to let me play all weekend to "get a feel for it".

If you ever divorce, please pass me her phone!

Mine doesn't complain a lot if i play when the kids are already at bed and she is watching some TV show, specially if i sit with her in the couch with the notebook, but i prefer to play in the bigger Imac screen in my "man's cave".

Yeah ive already secured some champ days by offering to look after the missus's dogs for a couple of weekends so she can go away and have some time to herself with her friends. She really doesnt seem to realise that sitting with two hounds, playing FM is a fantastic afternoon, and she is actually doing me a favor!! :D

That my friend is the cue your relationship is over but look on the bright side you're have more time to play FM :lol:

If you ever divorce, please pass me her phone!

Mine doesn't complain a lot if i play when the kids are already at bed and she is watching some TV show, specially if i sit with her in the couch with the notebook, but i prefer to play in the bigger Imac screen in my "man's cave".

We both have laptops, so that's never an issue, luckily! She plays a lot of "Don't Starve" using the tv, so I'm happy on my smaller screen.

So is it fair to say that we don't know when the beta's coming out because SI don't exactly know themselves? :) (Other than that it's close...)

No. It's fair to say that we don't know, but SI do, and it's "when it's ready" as they've always said.

I wonder why they don't tell when Beta version is exactly released. I think that everyone just want to know when it exactly released.

Please tell us when Beta version is exactly released

The more people whine about beta release the longer we all have to wait..

The more people whine about beta release the longer we all have to wait..

i understand that i have just need only exact date from SI after i know it exactly i will patient to wait. Approximate is not enough so far please tell us exactly SI

i understand that i have just need only exact date from SI after i know it exactly i will patient to wait. Approximate is not enough so far please tell us exactly SI

They are not going to give you one, so just try to be patient.

They will not tell you until its ready to release.

Patiently wait until 31/10/2013. It will be released by then. :brock:

hi just wondering how much testing has been done in network mode?

me and 2 friends always start a network game on release day, last year we all took the day off and wasted hours of game play because of the bugs in network mode, ie couldn't set up scout assignments, view finances and the clients couldn't make transfers.

please confirm all the basic functionality has been tested and is working?

thanks in advance for replies.

hi just wondering how much testing has been done in network mode?

me and 2 friends always start a network game on release day, last year we all took the day off and wasted hours of game play because of the bugs in network mode, ie couldn't set up scout assignments, view finances and the clients couldn't make transfers.

please confirm all the basic functionality has been tested and is working?

thanks in advance for replies.

it's not a binary "Been tested/not been tested". Of course things will have been tested, extensively so. That doesn't mean they're going to catch everything. They physically can't catch everything given every system is different. There's going to be bugs, and there's going to be frustration, just need to hope that the bugs there are are minimal.

it's not a binary "Been tested/not been tested". Of course things will have been tested, extensively so. That doesn't mean they're going to catch everything. They physically can't catch everything given every system is different. There's going to be bugs, and there's going to be frustration, just need to hope that the bugs there are are minimal.

He's not talking about there being no bugs in the software, we all no that is impossible. However, on release day last year (not beta release but actual release day) we played and only the host was able to buy players. Now i know some bugs fall through unfortunately but being able to buy players on a network game is a pretty big issue and something that should not have.

Also 2 other major issues on release day (once again not beta release but actual release as you couldn't play a network game on beta release), were not being able to get into the finances screen and not being able to set up scout assignments.

We all except that there are going to be bugs but the 3 things i have mentioned are all major parts of playing the game and how they got through testing, apparently they had a clan doing the testing, is hard to fathom did they just play games without actually doing things that all players do.

Just want to check the level of testing this year on the network game as last year it was lacking in a lot of areas.

He's not talking about there being no bugs in the software, we all no that is impossible. However, on release day last year (not beta release but actual release day) we played and only the host was able to buy players. Now i know some bugs fall through unfortunately but being able to buy players on a network game is a pretty big issue and something that should not have.

Also 2 other major issues on release day (once again not beta release but actual release as you couldn't play a network game on beta release), were not being able to get into the finances screen and not being able to set up scout assignments.

We all except that there are going to be bugs but the 3 things i have mentioned are all major parts of playing the game and how they got through testing, apparently they had a clan doing the testing, is hard to fathom did they just play games without actually doing things that all players do.

Just want to check the level of testing this year on the network game as last year it was lacking in a lot of areas.

Really? Seems not everyone has that level of understanding. Just because it was broken for some, doesn't mean it was automatically broken for others, which is where the problems come in in testing. Of course they would have tested every inch of it, but sometimes huge bugs fall through. It happens.

Plus they're not likely to come in and tell you what their level of testing is/was, beyond "a lot".

Really? Seems not everyone has that level of understanding. Just because it was broken for some, doesn't mean it was automatically broken for others, which is where the problems come in in testing. Of course they would have tested every inch of it, but sometimes huge bugs fall through. It happens.

Plus they're not likely to come in and tell you what their level of testing is/was, beyond "a lot".

I work in software development so am more aware of most how hard it is to make bug free software.

Maybe not everyone would see the same issue but the number of people that reported the same problem on release day last year with regards to transfers/scouts etc and then SI reporting straight away that they could reproduce it without having to ask for machine specs etc, means that it was pretty easy to reproduce and should have been caught in testing and they were very apologetic about it.

The main issue that i have playing a network game is that it always seems to be an afterthought with the game and there was a big buildup last year about how network games would be better and special attention had been paid to them and then on release game we were unable to play because only the host could buy players. I know the term "unplayable" is banded about far too easily but for us it was "unplayable" as we couldn't buy players at all and therefore could not play very far into the game.

They could have gotten around the issue by releasing the beta with network games playable so that all the issues could have been found pre release, hopefully something that will be done this year.

I work in software development so am more aware of most how hard it is to make bug free software.

Maybe not everyone would see the same issue but the number of people that reported the same problem on release day last year with regards to transfers/scouts etc and then SI reporting straight away that they could reproduce it without having to ask for machine specs etc, means that it was pretty easy to reproduce and should have been caught in testing and they were very apologetic about it.

The main issue that i have playing a network game is that it always seems to be an afterthought with the game and there was a big buildup last year about how network games would be better and special attention had been paid to them and then on release game we were unable to play because only the host could buy players. I know the term "unplayable" is banded about far too easily but for us it was "unplayable" as we couldn't buy players at all and therefore could not play very far into the game.

They could have gotten around the issue by releasing the beta with network games playable so that all the issues could have been found pre release, hopefully something that will be done this year.

I'm also in that industry - I wasn't really aiming it at you, as you acknowledged it, it's others that expect nigh on perfect things when that just isn't going to happen. I understand network games can be a pain, and they're a bit neglected, but I just can't see them not testing it at all. Maybe they didn't, I don't know. I know I've done that several times...

I hope network is better for you guys this time around, it must get frustrating.

... But they should! I'm a Portuguese fan who plays a network game with a friend in England. Sometimes it's not easy to find a good hour for all the players, and not to be able to buy players, turns this "beautiful game" in a average game. The SI guys must test all the possible game ways before the final realease; under consideration of all the fans o have, already, payed the game. Best regards and sorry about my "macarronic" English...

As an FM player who does so almost exclusively in the form of network games, I think the instability of FM12s NG, and the NG bugs at release of FM13, are a very rare example of SI not reaching an acceptable standard. Personally I don't feel the bugs mentioned above (not being able to buy players, no ability to reach the finances screen and not being able to set scouting assignments) are insignificant enough to be brushed away with the "some bugs slip through" argument, as solid and all encompassing as it usually is.

It's a shame because network gaming is on a whole other level of fun. Solo is incredibly fun, but network is something else.

As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't have any expectations regarding the absence of bugs in a beta. Take time off at your peril :)

please re-read my original post, i said RELEASE DAY not the BETA.

last year the game was unplayable in network mode on the official release day, also network play was not available in the beta, presumably why these issues were not picked up.

fully appreciate there will be bugs, but when clients cannot make transfers (one of the biggest aspects at the very start of the game) there was something fundamentally wrong with the game. it worked fine in single player, but not multiplayer.

I'm also in that industry - I wasn't really aiming it at you, as you acknowledged it, it's others that expect nigh on perfect things when that just isn't going to happen. I understand network games can be a pain, and they're a bit neglected, but I just can't see them not testing it at all. Maybe they didn't, I don't know. I know I've done that several times...

I hope network is better for you guys this time around, it must get frustrating.

simple white and black box testing could have picked up fundamental issues such as not being able to make transfers in network play. as part of my degree i spent 6 months working on software development & testing, this was an obvious issue to find just by playing the game in network mode and trying to buy players.

three of the biggest things you do as a football manager is sign players, scout players and play football matches.

i fully accept that a number of smaller bugs will inevitably slip through.

my original post was not to criticize SI Games but to ensure that we are not going to have a repeat of last year

As an FM player who does so almost exclusively in the form of network games, I think the instability of FM12s NG, and the NG bugs at release of FM13, are a very rare example of SI not reaching an acceptable standard. Personally I don't feel the bugs mentioned above (not being able to buy players, no ability to reach the finances screen and not being able to set scouting assignments) are insignificant enough to be brushed away with the "some bugs slip through" argument, as solid and all encompassing as it usually is.

It's a shame because network gaming is on a whole other level of fun. Solo is incredibly fun, but network is something else.

completely agree, these were not small bugs, however my post was not to enrage fans or for people to become super defensive of SI but merely to ensure SI have tested the network game thoroughly this time, if they haven't why not allow players to use the BETA to test network issues.

as molemenacer said above a clan apparently tested the game last year, all i can say is they can't be very good at the game as they don't scout players, check finances or sign any players in network play.

What the last two said, in spades :)

SI took a major hammering from users over this issue last year. no one said anything about small bugs slipping through but the issues i spoke about are key aspects of the game, to agree with comments in regard tp massive bugs "slipping through" is really disappointing, fundamental issues such as scouting and buying players is as key as picking your squad and playing games.

if the game had a fault where you couldn't pick a team to play in games would that be acceptable as a bug slipping through the net? NO

im not slating SI but i want to know that the network game has been through the same rigorous testing as single player games hence my earlier post.

Why not wait and see? you won't get any information here.

yeah why not spend £35 on a game that only has half its functionality without asking questions first.

i want to know i can download the game on release day and play freely without too many issues, I accept small bugs are part of the game but basic functionality should be tested, if i know it is tested and playable i will book the day off work.

im not slating SI but i want to know that the network game has been through the same rigorous testing as single player games hence my earlier post.

You'll find out when it's released not before, of course if it's below par you'll have every right to complain, then.

yeah why not spend £35 on a game that only has half its functionality without asking questions first.

i want to know i can download the game on release day and play freely without too many issues, I accept small bugs are part of the game but basic functionality should be tested, if i know it is tested and playable i will book the day off work.

You'll get a pretty good idea from those playing Beta, if not wait for the Demo, you're not going to get a summary of testing to date here is what I'm saying, especially testing of particular modules.

Man I would pay extra just to get beta tonight cos I have night free.

I think tomorrow is more likely , I'm sure it was a Thursday evening last year

Archived