Don't know about anyone else but I'm finding it far more difficult to succeed this FM

Usually I've been able to take average teams, and just by using a simple but effective formation, I can do fairly well with them. But now I've got Liverpool, bought Lewandowski to strengthen them along with Sidney Sam on loan, but I just can't seem to win games consistently. Had a good start, and did have a 4 game spell a little while ago, but I'm just getting beaten at home by teams below me in the table, and I just don't see what I can do. I addressed Liverpools issues of needing a striker and better wingers, but my players get fired up by a dressing down at the end of one game, then play like utter rubbish the next game, what happened to being fired up? Team meetings achieve nothing despite improving morale to no end. Most games I'm on top in shots and possession by some way, but still can't score more than 1 goal at best? How does that work?

I know part of this will be down to natural difficulty, and some will say it's realistic to struggle with Liverpool. But I think that's nonsense given what I've done, the game is not playing fair.

I'm having the same issue with Man United. I'm 3-5-3 in the league and will probably be sacked which has never happened to me before. I dominate possession, create chances, and still get beaten by multiple goals. Hell, smaller teams seem to beat me by MORE than big teams. I drew Man City 1-1, beat Spurs 2-0, and then lost 4-0 to Reading!!

I feel like the way defensive players behave now makes them extremely vulnerable to quick counterattacks, and the balance between finishing and goalkeeper shot-stopping just seems absurdly random from game to game.

This is not a complaint (yet!) but I've played the game since the CM days and always done OK when managing my team i follow - Spurs. I must admit i am enjoying the challenge that FM13 brings but i can't believe I am rock bottom of the premier league in November with a pretty decent Spurs side. I know its something I am doing wrong but all the things I did with FM11 and FM12 just dont have the same effect in FM13.

I'll keep going though...well until I get the sack as we're in 20th place!!

They'll be calling for Harry Redknapp to come back soon :-)

Managing Rangers as my first save as i always do im finding it much much easier. 6 league games 18 scored 0 conceaded. Cant see what all the fuss is about lol. :)

My daughter could guide Rangers out of the 3rd division and she's 7 years old.:p

My first two games seem to follow the same pattern as O.P.

I am managing Everton and got crushed 4-1 away at Swansea in a game that was pretty even.

Fair enough I thought, just a little unlucky.

Then Stoke came to Goodison, got outplayed, but still managed to win 6-0.

(btw, only 1 incoming player for me so no revolution)

Tough nut to crack this :D

Remember that the new ME is very different to the old so the tactical theories that applied in FM12 might not be relevant anymore. I had been struggling hard across multiple saves using my old FM12 tactics until I read this post by wwfan in the feedback thread:

"Given the amount of forum angst, it is probably worth reposting this:

Lots of things being posted relating to not being able to defend or attack are almost certainly down to users' tactics, not the ME. Such tactical issues illuminate the problems of coding the ME. There is a footballing logic that it and AI tactics access, which includes having a certain number of players moving between the lines (pushing up or dropping deep). If a user's tactic is very static and keeps players glued to their line, then they arguably should be struggling to get results, just as a real life team playing totally static football would. Historically, users employing static tactics have been able to "beat" the ME rather than the AI by keeping their defence back and channeling their passes through to a single, usually quick, player. The lack of collision detection in the ME resulted in this player being guaranteed a certain number of good chances every match. The only thing that mattered was how well he played.

In reality, any team would be able to mark that player out of the game. The one dimensionality of the tactic then gets exposed, as it can't create another type of chance. A user with this type of tactic should be seeing bad football and getting frustrated. How do you know that is you? Generally, if you always kept both FBs on Defend duties, had at least one DLP, possibly two, and forwards only on Attack duties, then there is the strong possibility you were relying on the 'no collision' exploit to overpower the ME. If you had multiple DLPs and an FC in the FCC position, it was almost certainly you.

Ultimately, if this type of tactic is struggling, then it is evidence that the ME has improved structurally. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have some bugs, such as defensive positioning on some free kicks, shooting too often from extreme angles, pressing not being aggressive enough etc. However, these are all secondary to the overall structure working far, far better. Structural improvement was the key focus of the two year ME redevelop, which required the introduction of player collision and ball physics. If you can't see quite how much this has improved the overall play of the ME, then you are missing the wood for the trees. Everything outside of this structural improvement is polishing. The ME might need burnishing in certain areas, but the underlying framework has improved significantly."

After reading this I re-examined my tactics and saw that, just as predicted, I was asking my team to play in a very static, controlled manner with little roaming. In FM12 this was fine because top-class players were able to individually unlock defences to an absurd degree, but in the new version this rightly fails as teams will just stifle your attack and punish you on the break. Roaming players who fluidly swap positions give defenders a real nightmare (just like real life) and are the key to unlocking defences at the top level.

I've only played with top flight teams on FM13 so some of these ideas may not translate to lower league teams, but the point is the new ME is much more sophisticated and tactically logical that previous versions, and any failure to get your team playing well/how you want is likely down to a failure to adapt.

I've found that per season plays a massively important part of FM13... Get your players training heavily on fitness, tactics and team cohesion so that they can get used to how you want to play. Don't chuck all your new signings in at once and let them blend into the team.

Having been playing these games since the original all those years ago, I have to say that I have never been so disappointed with a match engine as I am with this release :( I've taken to calling the game FM Under-13's as it is less an imitation of the beautiful game, and resembles more my attempts at managing an U13's sunday team, with players ignoring tactical instructions and running around like headless chickens!

PLEASE SORTITOUTSI - it's at the point of being unplayable!!

I think FM players can be categorised into those with tactical know-how, those with a basic understanding and those with very little tactical knowledge at all. The thing that is common between all these players is a love of the FM series, we all want to play the game and do well.

From what I'm seeing with the latest release is a loss of the players ability to amend the games difficulty by choosing a stronger or weaker team to manage. The ME doesn't seem to convert tactical domination in the match engine (whether entirely down to the human tactics or the team superiority) into goals. Rather it favours the counter attack and defensive sloppiness when defending set pieces, crosses, etc. (elements of the counter attacking game). This of course leads to weaker teams finding a disproportionate amount of success against strong teams in human control and in my opinion has removed the ease by which a player with less tactical understanding can enjoy the game - Nobody likes losing, and almost assuredly nobody likes losing in ways that don't even seem realistic.

Those of us with a good grasp of the game's ME or real life football tactics (Debatable, whether the two are enitrely alike) can squeeze every little bit of ability out of a team and can thus overcome the difficult odds the match engine often seems to present. BUT, for those of us who want or need to rely a bit more on the strength of out team to pull us through, that element seems to be trickling out of the engine entirely.

Whether this is a good or bad thing is up for debate and I'm aware people will have different opinions about this. For a guy who has tended to misunderstand tactics from time to time but still maintains playing an honest game (I've never downloaded tactics, reloaded matches, or used any attribute revealing apps) it's a slightly less rewarding experience as I can't even rely on my teams ability to carry me while I learn more about the game.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind losing. Losses are the best lessons. But losses which don't make much sense statistically or dare I say, tactically - these losses don't teach me anything. I'd rather learn to understand football better, than learn to understand a new match engine every iteration of FM.

*grammar

I found it really difficult to be consistent, I'd beat a really good team then get hammered 5 - 0 by an extremely crap team. I cancelled my pre-order and went back to FM12. I will probably buy the game later though once someone has some really good tactics on the forum lol.

It is difficult to be consistent. I'll smash Fulham (5-0) and Everton (3-0) but flop badly to Norwich (1-1) and Swansea (1-5) the only away game being Norwich. Yet I'll solidly bar Manchester United (0-1) and Arsenal (0-1) and even the mighty Manchester City (0-1) yet the rubbish Liverpool will win (0-5) (ho ho! I jest).

Yeah I'm not too sure about the results at the moment. I'm still trying to figure them out because as it stands when we win it doesn't feel like we've won if you get my point?

i think its very overrated to try to build your own tactic from scratch

try using one of the default tactics already in the game, and play it for 5-10 games... so far honestly i tried the 3-4-3, 4-2-3-1 Asymetric, and they get the job done honestly..

after achieving some respecteable results with the default formation you can start tweaking small things

i think its a huge beginner mistake to launch the tactic wizard, select every word you know how to describe the barcelona style best and try to play the game

in other words the tactic wizard is one huge beginner trap, should be removed or there should be a message in fat red letters all over the screen that you shouldnt use it unless you are a very advanced player

I think FM players can be categorised into those with tactical know-how, those with a basic understanding and those with very little tactical knowledge at all. The thing that is common between all these players is a love of the FM series, we all want to play the game and do well.

From what I'm seeing with the latest release is a loss of the players ability to amend the games difficulty by choosing a stronger or weaker team to manage. The ME doesn't seem to convert tactical domination in the match engine (whether entirely down to the human tactics or the team superiority) into goals. Rather it favours the counter attack and defensive sloppiness when defending set pieces, crosses, etc. (elements of the counter attacking game). This of course leads to weaker teams finding a disproportionate amount of success against strong teams in human control and in my opinion has removed the ease by which a player with less tactical understanding can enjoy the game - Nobody likes losing, and almost assuredly nobody likes losing in ways that don't even seem realistic.

Those of us with a good grasp of the game's ME or real life football tactics (Debatable, whether the two are enitrely alike) can squeeze every little bit of ability out of a team and can thus overcome the difficult odds the match engine often seems to present. BUT, for those of us who want or need to rely a bit more on the strength of out team to pull us through, that element seems to be trickling out of the engine entirely.

Whether this is a good or bad thing is up for debate and I'm aware people will have different opinions about this. For a guy who has tended to misunderstand tactics from time to time but still maintains playing an honest game (I've never downloaded tactics, reloaded matches, or used any attribute revealing apps) it's a slightly less rewarding experience as I can't even rely on my teams ability to carry me while I learn more about the game.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind losing. Losses are the best lessons. But losses which don't make much sense statistically or dare I say, tactically - these losses don't teach me anything. I'd rather learn to understand football better, than learn to understand a new match engine every iteration of FM.

*grammar

This is interesting to me. I am a casual, fairly new soccer/football fan and only started playing FM 2 years ago and I am having almost exactly this experience. For the first time I'm getting extreme randomness in my results. I'm playing Man United and will beat Spurs 2-0 one day and then be destroyed by Reading the next day despite dominating most statistics. Do you have any tips to help me out here?

If you check the 'bugs' forum there is a lot of talk about weaker teams getting the better of stronger teams far to often, so SI are looking into it and I assume something will be done in the next patch.

Although I still think sorting out your own tactic and getting your team gelled is the way forward.

Who did you sell to be able to afford Lewandowski? I only sold my back up keepers and loaned out youngers. aswell as loaning out Cole and downing to make enough transfer budget to afford a 15.75mil Andrea Ayew as my starting AM/L and I have yet to lose a game during the reg season. im 6 games in. Borini/Suarez as my strikers. Gerrard as my AM/R. Sahin/Lucas as my CM's(their not set as CM's) then I got Enrique/Agger/Skrtle/Johnson as my defenders. and of course reina as my keeper.

btw.. Borini is my leading scorer with 5 goals so far.

Who did you sell to be able to afford Lewandowski? I only sold my back up keepers and loaned out youngers. aswell as loaning out Cole and downing to make enough transfer budget to afford a 15.75mil Andrea Ayew as my starting AM/L and I have yet to lose a game during the reg season. im 6 games in. Borini/Suarez as my strikers. Gerrard as my AM/R. Sahin/Lucas as my CM's(their not set as CM's) then I got Enrique/Agger/Skrtle/Johnson as my defenders. and of course reina as my keeper.

btw.. Borini is my leading scorer with 5 goals so far.

I'd sold Kelly for 10m to Chelsea. Then bought Lewandowski over 48 months. Don't normally like doing that, but we needed an out and striker badly. Ayew didn't want to come.

I've started again anyway, trying a few things differently. I've sold Suarez, Johnson, Enrique and Kelly, and have brought in Jovetic, Ba, Beck, Tremoulinas, N.Taylor and hopefully Bochetti. Have change my formation too, and brought in different staff.

Season is almost about to start, and I purposely lost in the Europa qualifiers to focus on the league. Hopefully take two will stick!

Doing match prep training has made a huge difference for me, had a great run at the start of the season with Fulham then conceded way too many so took back control of training from my assistant, have had them on def positioning and results have come back. Really noticed it in the way the back 4 is working, not being beaten by one pass as a striker runs in behind. So give it a go if you aren't already.

Also if you are finding your results inconsistent eg beating big teams but losing to weaker sides, work on a couple of different tactics, one for an open game against a good side and another for when you have all the possession and just need to break a side down. Can make a difference.

I've got to admit, for the first time since CM in my Amiga days, I'm VERY disappointed with this version, I'm sorry I like to think I've got alot of experience playing SI's footy sims, and for me this ME is just ridiculously too random, and the mistakes and some of the footage is ludicrous.

I've got to admit, for the first time since CM in my Amiga days, I'm VERY disappointed with this version, I'm sorry I like to think I've got alot of experience playing SI's footy sims, and for me this ME is just ridiculously too random, and the mistakes and some of the footage is ludicrous.

If enough people say this hopefully they'll eventually have to concede there is a problem. The more I play it the more I'm convinced the new ME wasn't ready for prime time when they released it. In its current form it seems to be a big step down from FM11 and FM12.

It just doesn't feel at all "stable" I'm never confident of a result even against much inferior opposition, theres something wrong with it, and I do not believe for one second it's my tactics, so quoting well known forum posters/SI employees yields no ground for me.

After playing a bit more, it could be that you just have to be tactically more aware...but that's not right, this game is for everyone, not just tactical experts.

On every previous edition I've played, I've been able to achieve moderate success, knowing if I go into a game with sensible tactics and better players, I will get the result at least 2/3 of the time. But despite taking on board tips I've been given, good defenders don't even attempt to do their job, they're happy to see players pass the ball between them, or dribble past them. Top level defenders should not be that bad at all, it's not right, the game needs to be fixed. I haven't tried playing with people like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City, Bayern yet, but I bet I'd struggle with them also.

None of the tips I've been given seem to have made a difference.

I'm not really finding it any more difficult. I'm using the same tactic as I did with FM2012 and just got won the BSS at first attempt. The biggest different was messing about with the new match prep and training.

After playing a bit more, it could be that you just have to be tactically more aware...but that's not right, this game is for everyone, not just tactical experts.

On every previous edition I've played, I've been able to achieve moderate success, knowing if I go into a game with sensible tactics and better players, I will get the result at least 2/3 of the time. But despite taking on board tips I've been given, good defenders don't even attempt to do their job, they're happy to see players pass the ball between them, or dribble past them. Top level defenders should not be that bad at all, it's not right, the game needs to be fixed. I haven't tried playing with people like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City, Bayern yet, but I bet I'd struggle with them also.

None of the tips I've been given seem to have made a difference.

That's precisely the problem. The defending is just so shaky that no result is ever safe and it all seems to come down to whose keeper can make the most saves or whose attackers blow the most chances. I can use the same tactic and beat Arsenal 5-2 and then lose to Montpellier 1-0. Dominating possession does not seem to correlate with success at all, it's a complete toss up.

On another interesting note, while City and Real seem completely invulnerable so far, Barcelona finished FOURTH in their Champions League group. So it seems like maybe other top teams are being effected by the same randomness. I mean, what are the odds on Barcelona being eliminated from the group stage IRL? 50 to 1?

I mean, whether "it's your tactics" or not, the entire point of FM is to simulate real-world football. The behavior of defenders in this game simply does not look anything like the real game.

I'm not really finding it any more difficult. I'm using the same tactic as I did with FM2012 and just got won the BSS at first attempt. The biggest different was messing about with the new match prep and training.

It's not "difficulty" so much as total randomness. It seems like I have a 50% chance of winning any given game regardless of opposition.

What I have found is that the 4-5-1 and 4-1-4-1 tactics used by the weaker opponents when they face you are very solid in defense, causing a lot of errors when you go forward. The resulting non-full-game footage -only- shows the opponent completely dominating possession because their five midfielders are standing around halfways into your half passing to each other uninterruptedly until they can find an opening. I got so annoyed once that I set the defensive line slider to the max, and the result was that my midfielders and full backs pushed up so much that they actually were within range to intercept, resulting in sustained pressure within their area instead. Thus, it is only at max or near max pushing up that I get the kind of behaviour I expect my team to have when attempting to control the match. It is of course risky, but I'd rather have a few counter-attacks against me than watching my players let the opponent do whatever they please in my half... and that at the 1st "click" of Push Up.

It seems like the defensive line setting has become very insensitive compared to FM11 and 12! I recommend people that experience lack of initiative against defensive opponents to max out Defensive Line and see if they like that better, and then tweak one click at a time.

I have got Liverpool to 3rd in the PL in two different saves (beta and then full game) winning the Capital one cup on both occasions. Won the FA Cup in the beta save also (against Hull) and lost on pens in the Europa League, Main game lost in SF of FA and won the Europa league on pens this time.

Only bought some Brazilian chap called Bernard in the beta save and bought no one in my full game. Sacked pretty much every staff member though and replaced with my own picks.

4-2-3-1 asymmetric but swap the wings and mids over so its a L IF, WMR, AMCR, CML and DM.

Balanced style, with slowish tempo, short passing , start on standard and then switch to control or attacking.

Ive not changed the player mentality sliders but have the passing and other sliders, passing only on 3-4 for the forward players, DM and CB's, in the middle for rest of players.

Villa were the weakest team i lost to, both PL games, other loses were to City, Chelsea etc.

All my matches seemed to have pretty realist score lines, none of the crazy matches some are getting think i ended up with 71 scored and 38 conceded, 6-1 was my highest win and 0-2 the biggest loss, rest of the PL scores and final table For and against looked quite balanced too.

Far too much randomness in the current ME for my mind due to extremely sloppy set piece defending and defensive positioning (particularly through balls and CBs failing to cover forward runs at all).

I can play a game versus an evenly matched side and win 1-0, reload win 5-0 reload, lose 1-4 etc. In previous iterations you would often get the same result numerous times in a row with only slight variance each reload.

Far too much randomness in the current ME for my mind due to extremely sloppy set piece defending and defensive positioning (particularly through balls and CBs failing to cover forward runs at all).

I can play a game versus an evenly matched side and win 1-0, reload win 5-0 reload, lose 1-4 etc. In previous iterations you would often get the same result numerous times in a row with only slight variance each reload.

I actually think this makes the game MORE realistic, how many times do you watch games where an early missed sitter could have changed the whole complexion of a match?

Take West Ham v City on Saturday, Nolan scored a perfectly good goal given offside, had it been given, the game could easily have ended up a cricket score with City going all out to equalise and West Ham counter attacking.

There's plenty wrong with the ME granted, but i think this^ is one of the improvements.

playing with ManC and haven't scored a goal in 4 games, against Fulham (0-2), Newcastle (0-2), Norwich (0-2), ManU (0-1), but I have around 60% possession more than 25 shots (around 15 on target, 10 off target, very few long shots). Not much fun so far.

Er, to be honest I was going to post up a thread saying it was maybe a bit easy:-

Just finishing my third season as Southampton:-

- Season 1, net spend about £4 million, Finished 5th in the league, lost in FA cup final.

- Season 2, net spend about £13 million (£25 million in buys), Won the league, lost in UEFA cup final.

- Season 3, bought two players, (Oxlaide Chamberlain for £18.5 million, Ochoa (GK) on a free), Won the league again, lost in Champions league quarter finals, about to play the FA cup final.

3 seasons with a promoted team, 2 leagues, 3 cup finals, about £50 million total spend, still using (from original squad) Lallana, Rodriguez, Ramirez, Clyne, Boruc, Schneiderlin, Ward-prowse, Luke Shaw, Jack Cork, Mayuka. Use one formation (4-4-1-1) and played most of my games on 'commentary only', including my most recent season where i have so far lost 1 league game with 4 to go.

I'm Liverpool in my save and just played 2 games of the new season. Setup loads of pre-season friendlies and won most of them. A few major clubs (Valencia and Inter), won these both 2-1 and 4-3. And the rest was Championship sides so that I could look at the younger lads. I found that you have got to study the game and tactics more which is what i will. I'm not one who likes to play a season every day. I take mytime. For me I have sold, Cole, Doni and Henderson, Loaned Out, Wilson, Coates. Bought Kyriakos Papadopoulos.

I have won both my first to PL games, 2-0 and 3-1. Borini and Suarez scoring 4 of the 5 goals. Pacheco will be a key player as he assists well and produced 7 goals in 5 games in the friendlies. Average of 8.45. You really need to be careful with your tactic's and team talks as you can soon have your players morale down which effects their play.

Well, I am succeeding quite well with Salisbury, using the principles I described in post #34. Just won the BSS last evening, 5 games before the end. However, I took control of Real Madrid in January (saved that separately) and I must say that my barely-professionals in Salisbury are performing much better! None of the world-class players at RM managed to do a single thing right! It was -painful- to watch! Maybe my tactic is awful, but I doubt this is the case, given the transformation that happened immediately when I changed to this tactic with Salisbury; that is a telltale FM-sign saying that the tactic "clicks into place". All the players at RM were anxious or nervous, and hardly worked at all, and they didn't manage to find each other even a few meters away either.

Judging by the lack of "fluency" I often experienced even with Salisbury until January, the punishment for a lack of tactical familiarity seems to be quite severe in FM13. Unlike previous FM iterations, you can't just swap to a completely new tactic and expect instant results. It seems you need to stick with a tactic for months before the players manage simple passes to each other, let alone make correct decisions.

I think I will have to start a new game with a top-flight team in order to see if this is correct, though. I can do this tonight, I think - a smaller database and key highlights should make it quick. Either that or holidaying until January and try it then. If a strong team by BSS standards manage to dominate and control matches, there is no reason why a strong team by La Liga-standards shouldn't accomplish the same.

I found it a lot harder at first as well - until I engaged my brain and started thinking more tactically. The AI is much stronger this time around, and you'll need to work harder and better. A good thing in my opinion - in previous installments one could simply assume success. No longer.

I'm having quite a few problems with this game too, especially with consistancy. I think that manager reputation has a bigger effect in this game as very often my spurs team are either a bit complacent or playing nervously for seemingly no reason. This is even when i've actually set my reputation to the second highest option i think, but i guess this might not be enough to a club like spurs.

I found it a lot harder at first as well - until I engaged my brain and started thinking more tactically. The AI is much stronger this time around, and you'll need to work harder and better. A good thing in my opinion - in previous installments one could simply assume success. No longer.

Agree. In the past release's once you have found out the trick to the version it is easy to win all the time. So far i have found that it alters throughout the match but a few shouts from the sidelines and tweak of the tactic can change things again.

I'm having quite a few problems with this game too, especially with consistancy. I think that manager reputation has a bigger effect in this game as very often my spurs team are either a bit complacent or playing nervously for seemingly no reason. This is even when i've actually set my reputation to the second highest option i think, but i guess this might not be enough to a club like spurs.

Doesn't your team morale and thoughts about you plus other managers thoughts have an effect on this?

Archived