Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's his all round play that people are criticising rather than his goal scoring ratio. His ratio isnt too bad but it should be a hell of a lot better than what it is.
He's not been performing that well, but he can still score and scores more often than other strikers. I've seen him received too much criticism after quite a lot of games this season, he's not Falcao who I've been saying we should have signed back in the days he was banging them in for Porto but he's probably the best striker we have and we did spend £50M on him so I'd rather see him being used so we can try and get our moneys worth instead of keeping him on the bench.

I've never really agreed with the Torres signing, but I'm pretty sure I remember a few people praising the signing. Imo Torres was in bad form the season we signed him and only started to look half decent a couple weeks before we signed him.

He's not been performing that well, but he can still score and scores more often than other strikers. I've seen him received too much criticism after quite a lot of games this season, he's not Falcao who I've been saying we should have signed back in the days he was banging them in for Porto but he's probably the best striker we have and we did spend £50M on him so I'd rather see him being used so we can try and get our moneys worth instead of keeping him on the bench.

I've never really agreed with the Torres signing, but I'm pretty sure I remember a few people praising the signing. Imo Torres was in bad form the season we signed him and only started to look half decent a couple weeks before we signed him.

Don't agree with the bold bit at all, we've given him almost 2 years to get our moneys worth and he's still been crap, time to cut our losses and try something else.

Don't agree with the bold bit at all, we've given him almost 2 years to get our moneys worth and he's still been crap, time to cut our losses and try something else.

Exactly. Marky let's look at it like this.

Fernando Torres was a failure under Carlo Ancelotti, Fernando Torres was a failure under Andre Villas-Boas, Fernando Torres is a failure under Roberto Di Matteo. Fernando Torres was a failure when he had competition in Didier Drogba and he's been a failure when he has had no competition.

As a club we have not only given Torres enough opportunities we have given him too many opportunities. Enough is enough and without wanting to sound blase about our financial situation we have plenty of money for a good replacement.

So it's better to pay him £150k (roughly) per week to sit on the bench?

We're paying all the players their wages no matter what they do so we may as well play the 11 that are most likely to get us wins. He's probably getting a massive bonus for turding his way around the pitch week in week out.

We'd be top with SAF as manager. That sounds like a slight on RDM but its not really intended to be. Also incredibly moot as SAF is the nuts.

That guys utilises a squad like nobody else.

You don't win a league with 14 players.

This. Given we've got the CWC (and League Cup) I can see us getting to January/February (when the season actually starts and matters) and having a lot of players being burned out or just not being at their best due to fatigue. I might be doing a disservice to Di Matteo and being a tad harsh on him but I don't think he's the manager that's going to be winning us a title this season as, imo, he lacks some tactical nous and there have been times where a better manager (let's use Fergie here for arguments sake) would've been able to change a game around or been able to hold onto a result. I'd love to be wrong and I'd love for Robbie to win us the title this season but I think he's still not the complete package as a manager to do so and I don't think we can go and win the title 'in spite' of him, if you will, like City did last season.

Yeah, Torres + money for Falcao isn't happening. I don't think Atléti can pay his wages and even in this transfer deal, we'll need to get a 3rd striker (maybe a 4th, if we're going to sell Sturridge so a replacement for him). Huntelaar or Tevez, you know what to do Roman :thup:

Fergie wouldn't be able to do much better with the strikers we have, although he wouldn't have put us in this situation in the first place, can't blame RdM for that though.
It's not even striker stuff. It's a general assesment.

Like, the lack of rotation, banishing Malouda, lacking variety with his substitutions (ie. you know who's coming on and for whom, regardless of performance in the particular match) and general substitutions have been on the poor side, sale of Meireles (and loan of Essien) which leaves an important position within the team relatively wafer thin but I dunno if that was down to him.

Exactly. Marky let's look at it like this.

Fernando Torres was a failure under Carlo Ancelotti, Fernando Torres was a failure under Andre Villas-Boas, Fernando Torres is a failure under Roberto Di Matteo. Fernando Torres was a failure when he had competition in Didier Drogba and he's been a failure when he has had no competition.

Sounds harsh, but that really sums up the situation.

He can sit on my face during matches if it means we have a competent forward.

More than willing to take one for the team.

That is brilliant.

As for the fact Fergie would never go into a season so lacking in an important position, I think most Man U fans would assess their centre mid situation for the last season or two as about as good as our striker situation.

Agree that I have a couple of concerns about some of RDM's tactical choices like subs and especially lack of rotation, but Essien going on loan I don't really see as a mistake as he has gone so far backwards due to injuries.

It's a shame that Malouda has been frozen out as he did have a great season - season and a half for us a few years ago, but seriously, the way he has played since would you really want him playing ahead of any of Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Marin, De Bruyne or Bertrand in the AML position? Ideal world he would be sold but not sure whether it's lack of interest from other clubs, lack of willingness from the club to sell, or Flo wanting to relax and pick up his big fat paycheck rather than take a paycut elsewhere keeping him at the club.

Has there been any talk about selling Marko Marin in the winter transfer window?

He isn't playing almost at all and he surely is too good and too expensive to have on the bench? His transfer was so unlucky as Chelsea decided to buy both Hazard and Oscar after he was signed

The only one doing as bad as Torres is Podolski and for others you can't compare as they are not the sole strikers of their team. Rooney has RVP, Hernandez. Aguero has Tevez, Dzeko. If we had someone like them scoring instead then I would be happy for Torres to be Rooney.

I have defended Torres a lot and wanted him to get a chance but he has failed spectacularly. Maybe RDM wanted the same but obviously its not working.

Well you can't compare Podolski to Torres as Podolski doesn't play up front for us?

It would surprise me.

He was injured for a fair while. Now he's back and on the bench and if common sense prevails (good luck with that at Chelsea FC) should start to see minutes very soon.

Had no idea that he was injured. Thought that he was on th bench due to the others performing so well.

Ok then he should definetly be given a chance to play first. Afterall he's a rather good player :thup:½

Good that he picks out Rooney for us as well. When he's been playing he's not been the focal point of the team the way Torres is. If anything he should be comparing to Welbeck/Van Persie instead, would have good fortune with 1 goal Welbeck as well :D

Welbeck's played the majority of his games on the wing. The only guys who've been upfront the most are RVP and Hernandez.

Hardly, he just said the most politically correct thing when asked. (ie. 'any manager would want Falcao').

Falcao's not coming in January.

I don't know, if Roman wants him enough to activate his release clause, I don't think he would turn us down tbh.

Interesting team for today but clearly have one eye on the Juve game so it makes sense. Hoping Sturridge stakes a decent claim not he is playing and hopefully Moses does well from a starting spot.

Good news. If we start the first half the way we finished the 2nd then we could grab an early goal or two. Torres really needs to get involved more.

For god's sake, we need to start defending better. West Brom have had 2 chances and scored both.

Bloody Steve Clarke. If we lose to Juve and don't make it out of the CL group RdM could be in trouble. I'd expect him to see this season out but regardless I think he's gone at the end of the season. Hopefully those Pep runours are true.

Archived