Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great win. Weren't great for some parts but doesn't matter now. Awesome that we are double European champions. Great goal from Branna bu Franks shot would have been an insane winner.

Fair play to Benitez, he has done a good job and I would say if we come 3rd as well then a little better than what I thought we were going to do. If we do grab 3rd and have a good summer for signings (contract renewals and managers included) then I cannot wait til next season.

Really wasn't confident going into tonight and feared the worst for throughout the first half, but grew throughout the second and as much as Benfica looked the better team for much of the match they didn't create too many clear cut chances. Great goal by Torres, Fantastic to see Ivanovic get the winner after last year. Well chuffed.

Cech did have a pretty damn good game. Owned the area, made a couple of good saves and was sooooooooooo good to see him rolling and throwing the ball out rather than punting it out of bounds like usual.

Think Ramires has got a bit of unfair criticism on here, he didn't have a good game, but not as bad as some people making out. Lamps pretty anonymous for 90% of the game, Oscar had a poor game, Mata well below average and Cesar quite poor, yet none of that gets mentioned and Ramires pilloried.

That Fighting **** forum page really is something else. Some of the most prejudiced, vile, self centred, self pitying tripe on the whole internet surely.

edit - lol @ the swearfilter blocking the reference to the name of a Spurs forum.

That is fantastic!

It's funny how it seems to be each season that they are watching some elses matches in order to be able to celebrate something! Last season us in the CL, last night hoping Wigan could pull something off but it's even more amazing why they are getting their knickers in a twist over our triumph tonight!

Perhaps if they had had that bit of quality to knock out Basle......oh but wait - nope they would have had to have played us so they would still be greeting faced twats! Such a shame!

Tbf Cech has been brilliant this season, saved us on a lot of occassions and I can't think of any major mistakes he has made. Makes the Courtois situation even more difficult.

It didn't really hit me last night that we have won another European trophy. I think it's because the Europa League is one of those you love if you win it/not bothered if you lose kind of things. With that in mind I am delighted that we won it :D

Edit - also a quick question. Trying to book my bus for the weekend but never been to a final game of the season before. Is there anything that goes on after the game? If so roughly how long is it all?

Tbf Cech has been brilliant this season, saved us on a lot of occassions and I can't think of any major mistakes he has made. Makes the Courtois situation even more difficult.It didn't really hit me last night that we have won another European trophy. I think it's because the Europa League is one of those you love if you win it/not bothered if you lose kind of things. With that in mind I am delighted that we won it :DEdit - also a quick question. Trying to book my bus for the weekend but never been to a final game of the season before. Is there anything that goes on after the game? If so roughly how long is it all?
I would probably add an extra hour for lap of honour. Perhaps longer.

Lampard signs 1 year deal. Bloody finally :D

@Coleman, they usually have the players and their kids on the pitch after the game don't they? Not sure how long it lasts mind.

I would probably add an extra hour for lap of honour. Perhaps longer.

Cool, well that would mean it will finish around 7ish which gives me plenty of time to get back to Victoria for 9. Usually end up sitting around for a couple of hours anyway so will be good to have something to do.

So glad Lampard has finally signed as well. Took us a while to get it done but I think it's great for everyone that he's staying. Now we just need to beat Everton and the season will have been pretty good.

Wonderful news about Lampard. Letting go a club legend who has scored seventeen goals this season would be a disgrace. Just need to grab that win against Everton now - not exactly vital, but would be nice.

• Administrators

It's not that easy though, partly because his kids from his failed relationship still live in London and he can't take them with him, but mainly because he has a ridiculously great affinity with the fans which he holds dear.

Plus there's the whole connection with the potential new manager.

Agree with all of those. Mata been our best player this season, Oscar's goals was awesome (although Luiz could have a couple of shouts, as could Hazard) and Ake made his first team debut and played in Europe etc.

Well he was talking about club future. But good to hear from him.

"Chelsea will be much better next season because they will spend euro100 million and they will sign three or four players," Benitez said. "The foundation is already there. The future is bright for them."

ST and CM top priorities, think we'll be fine with backups in other positions

Agree with that although it would be nice to have Schurrle/KDB instead of Marin so the others actually have some competition. Would also like to see a few youths rotated in but can't see it happening this year. Suppose Ake/Chalobah would be the closest (not including Lukaku)

I still find it unbelievable they're not considering KDB for the midfield role. I swear, give him a run in the first team and you won't be able to imagine it without him.

As far as I'm aware, his lack of defensive abilities mean he'd be a bit of a risk in there, but the idea we might be buying Schurrle for £20m instead of allowing KDB a place in our attacking midfield rotation just beggars belief. No idea what Schurrle could possibly bring to the team that we haven't got in abundance already as he's not much of a striker. To be honest, beyond buying a proper striker I don't think we need serious reinforcements, the team is already pretty strong - if somewhat unbalanced - in most areas. I'd love to see Lukaku back but am not sure he's ready to be our number one yet, but he, Demba Ba and a Lewandowski/Cavani would be a strikeforce of stunning potential.

Archived