Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Why wait until May?

Why wait until Maaaay?

Rafa Benitez, just **** off today."

Enjoyed that one. We should've put them to bed first half easily, Oscar missed a lot of good chances. Still, glad we hung on for the win, thought Benitez wasn't going to make any changes until they actually scored but at least he did something in the end I guess. Anyway, good win and the crowd wasn't on his back as much I expected.

Should have won by a couple more goals there but lad glad for 3 points. Draw tomorrow would be good and we would still be 3rd? Plus still 4 above Arsenal.

Annoyed that Leciester lost as they lost me £85 by doing that but at least we won.

Liverpool fans just piped up with a Rafael Benitez chant against Wigan. Bizarre.

Just destroying the myth that everyone hates Rafa - the fans at Liverpool still love him despite what the media tells you all.

So a draw would be great between Spurs and Arsenal today or Spurs to win if someone has to. Would be nice to get a decent gap between 3rd/4th and 5th before we have some tough games vs Spurs, United and Liverpool.

Also who is everyone's top 3 manager choices for this summer. Mine would be Mourinho/Moyes/Laudrup although Moyes and Laudrup are joint because I think they would both be great. Jose would be amazing but I hope he stays for 5 years+ rather than just 2-3. Don't know enough about other managers e.g. Conte/Simeone and I think it's too early for managers such as Poyet/Zola/Clarke. I think they would all do a good job but may need more time than the one's above.

Not sure about Laudrup yet, he's done well this season but has been a mixed bag in his previous jobs. For me, he'd need a sustained period of success (or at least steady growth for Swansea) before being considered at the Bridge. Moyes is a much stronger candidate, although it surely wouldn't take long for his headstrong nature to clash with Abramovich's controlling behaviour. I wouldn't mind Zola, but worry he's too inexperienced at the top level to have the instant success this club (ridiculously) demands - personally, I'd rather he came to the club when he has the best chance of making the most of the opportunity, but very much hope he does turn up eventually. It'd be a surprise if it happened, but should he arrive this summer, at least he already has a strong relationship with our core players (Lampard, Terry) and, of course, would presumably be inclined to giving Nate Chalobah a chance. For me, though, Mourinho's the only really solid option.

Laudrup would be a much better fit for us then Moyes, even though I'd say Moyes is a better manager. Our fans are not going to accept Moyes' brand of football, and rightly so with the players we have available. Laudrup plays the right kind of football, has made some top signings, and keeps his head down. He would be a perfect fit, this might sound blasphemous but I think I'd prefer him over Jose. I would like to have a few years now where we aren't Harchester United v 2.0, and we all know there will be loads of drama with Jose, I've had my fill of that for a long while.

I don't think there's any chance of him joining us. I think we've scared Guardiola and Klopp off with how we've acted the past 2 years. There's still plenty of top managers we can get though, but Jose and Laudrup are the top choices for me.

Jose, Laudrup, Conte, Simeone, and a few others who I have less experience with would be good fitting choices. A few months back I had Moyes in here, but the more I think about it, the more I think he would be a really really bad fit even though he's a top manager. As you can see, I'm fine with going for less experienced managers, I wanted AvB, I was happy with Di Matteo.

I have no idea why, but I got the same vibe about Klopp as I had with AVB. Knowing that, even if it probably doesn't make much sense, I could already see him self-destructing at Chelsea.

As tcoleman1 said, it's Jose, Laudrup, Moyes for me. I've liked Laudrup since he was over in Spain, just has that self-assured confidence that makes me think he'd be a real success with us. Moyes has earned a crack at a top job, and he's British which would be a nice change. Then there's Jose, who's just Jose. I think he wants a job at an English club that he can stay with for 5+ years, because you know he'd love to prove the critics wrong. "Oh, I just want quick success? Ok, I'll build a legacy that will last for a decade." "Oh, I don't bring through youngsters? I'll just bring through the next John Terry and the next Frank Lampard." Think he'd love to do that at Chelsea, it's just whether he'd be given the control, which I sadly doubt

These Moyes shouts are making me a bit nervous, he's a terrible fit for us, surely I can't be the only ones that sees that? Style wise and personality wise. I think he'd walk out before he ever got sacked.

These Moyes shouts are making me a bit nervous, he's a terrible fit for us, surely I can't be the only ones that sees that? Style wise and personality wise. I think he'd walk out before he ever got sacked.

Not sure about personality-wise him being wrong, to be honest we need someone strong enough to stand their ground and stand up to the board. As to style-wise, he's never had the money or players we've got, so he's worked with what he's got and done very well. He's made a very efficient team who are solid defensively, but there's no saying he wouldn't want to be a bit more stylish if given the chance with the right players and resources.

Besides, I really dgaf about the style stuff sometimes, my favourite football we played came under Jose with Robben on one side and Duff on the other, and apparently that was boring, I've got nothing against a great defence and some good 1-0 wins.

True his style isn't used to the players that we have but maybe he would adapt his style of football with different players? In that respect Laudrup does play a better style. Moyes I think would do better at controlling the players and putting them in their place. Still Mourinho is number 1 for me and it seems that in England it would be between us and Man City (if they get rid of Mancini). Whether Mourinho would consider PSG though, who knows?

I am really hoping Di Matteo can do himself justice in his 2 years (unless he gets one as Abramovich goes mental for Guardiola next summer)

Ah hindsight is a wonderful thing. Generally thought we would give RDM until at least the end of this season. Still haven't changed my mind in any way.

That first half was terrible. If before the game you would have asked me what the worst possible tactic to play with was, I would have said to apply absolutely no pressure, drop deep as possible, isolate Torres all alone up front and the second we get the ball to immediately hoof it up to him. Apparently that's exactly what Rafa told them to do.

Second half has been a bit better so far so might scrape a draw if we are lucky.

Archived