Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if I often think he makes small things wrong, like team selection on times, the big things like how to deal with loses of key players confirm he's top manager. His ability to rebuild a team season after season has been just amazing.

He's been Arsenal manager for almost my entire adult life and probably for most of the time a lot of Arsenal fans were following football.

I remember watching Sky Sports back in summer of 1996 and there was some guy interviewing a spokesperson or someone from another club who were going to reveal their new manager. The line I remembered was like 'but it is not some French guy due to arrive from Japan at the end of September, ha ha ha?". Yeah, ha ha ha. Journalists :D

Dear lord you lot are such hard work.

Pod, Giroud, Shevchenko, Aguero, Cisse, any other foreign striker coming into the EPL are not experienced at this level. Some adapt immediately (e.g. Aguero, Pod) and others may never (Shevchenko, Giroud maybe). It is a gamble in itself.

Wenger started the season with only 2 strikers, both brand new to the EPL. One has worked, one is hopeless so far. That is negligent, end of.

Solution? Buy strikers that ARE proven at this level. Ba, Defoe, Berbatov, Dempsey, Bent. Even if they are back up or rotated, at least there is guaranteed firepower there for situations like these.

Got it now?

Holy ****, what a post :D :D

If you really believe that our striking options right now was the right move going into the new season then you're hopelessly deluded, simple as that.

We can believe they aren't good enough but your reasoning behind why they shouldn't have been purchased is hilarious

We can believe they aren't good enough but your reasoning behind why they shouldn't have been purchased is hilarious

When did I say they shouldn't have been bought? If you actually go back and look at what I wrote, I said not having a proven EPL striker on board was negligent, which it is.

Well done on adding absolutely nothing once again to the discussion.

When you come up with an opinion that isn't laughable I will discuss it, which is how it goes with pretty much everyone else in this thread. Unfortunately, you seem unable to present either a remotely valid opinion nor do it in a way that isn't aggressive in tone.

Change either of those and you may have more luck in here rather than being the laughable character that you are.

We've only signed a handful of players from Prem clubs in the last 6 or 7 years. I can think of Arteta, Silvestre, Gallas and Diarra. And let's be honest, only 2 of those played a large role in our first team.

So to expext Wenger to go sign experienced Prem strikers is a bit much imo.

I agree that our strike option could be better, but to say that Giroud and Podolski were bad buys because they're unproven is a bit much. Signing so call "proven strikers" do not guarantee success. Berbatov and Keane, proven in the prem, didn't always do so well for the big clubs either. Torres hasn't done that great for Chelsea. There are probably even more examples.

Keep in mind that the problem stems from the squad limitation and wage budget. Wenger, having lots of of his budget tied down to the current squad, needed to move some before he ccould get some. He was not able to move Chamakh, so expecting another striker was unrealistic.

I agree that our strike option could be better, but to say that Giroud and Podolski were bad buys because they're unproven is a bit much. Signing so call "proven strikers" do not guarantee success. Berbatov and Keane, proven in the prem, didn't always do so well for the big clubs either. Torres hasn't done that great for Chelsea. There are probably even more examples.

Keep in mind that the problem stems from the squad limitation and wage budget. Wenger, having lots of of his budget tied down to the current squad, needed to move some before he ccould get some. He was not able to move Chamakh, so expecting another striker was unrealistic.

For the last time I didn't say Pod and Giroud were bad buys because they are unproven. I said having ONLY those 2 in attack for a whole season was negligent because if they didn't adapt/perform then we'd be playing with no spearhead.

I am not going to explain this again.

For the last time I didn't say Pod and Giroud were bad buys because they are unproven. I said having ONLY those 2 in attack for a whole season was negligent because if they didn't adapt/perform then we'd be playing with no spearhead.

I am not going to explain this again.

And I'm saying that adding another was not possible because Wenger failed to move on the likes of Chamakh and Arshavin.

Stepping aside from the fact that I don't think you could possibly know that - it doesn't answer the question. Why would they do that?

Let's say Woj gets an injury and the physio tells Wenger that he'll be out for six weeks. What does Wenger gain from telling the fans that it will be one week or two weeks?

Personally I think it's far more likely that the medical staff are not aware of the severity at the start, or for whatever reason, the injuries get worse during treatment/recovery.

Stepping aside from the fact that I don't think you could possibly know that - it doesn't answer the question. Why would they do that?

Let's say Woj gets an injury and the physio tells Wenger that he'll be out for six weeks. What does Wenger gain from telling the fans that it will be one week or two weeks?

Personally I think it's far more likely that the medical staff are not aware of the severity at the start, or for whatever reason, the injuries get worse during treatment/recovery.

Funny how it almost never happens at any other club isn't it!??

And to answer your question, they lie to shut the fans up. They lied about Wilshere being almost ready to return throughout the whole of the January transfer window and the very next day after it shut they came out and said he's out for the season. Too late for the fans to demand a new player by then. That's just one example.

They are lying crooks. Don't even pretend that Wenger doesn't lie.

So why are they lying about Woj? No transfer window. No fan demands.

And you're suggesting that players aren't out for longer than originally expected at other clubs? Even if that were the case, why does it necessarily mean they are lying?

We will see if this saga carries into January when a new keeper would be needed. If he's still out but 2-3 weeks away then it'll be history repeating itself.

Ask yourself WHY players like Wilshere, Diaby, TV5 are always a few weeks from being ready only to disappear for many, many months. Either they are lying or the medical staff are worse than the first aiders at my work place.

Olympiakos are weaker than when we played them last year. They lost Mirallas and Mellberg, and replaced them with young unproven inexperienced players. Plus, their new coach, Leonardo Jardim, only has one year of European experience. Think we could feasibly beat them by more than 3 goals if we're on form.

my dad is going tonight, sadly I couldn't change my shift, as I'm expecting a few goals too.

I can't see what benefit the club has for lying about injuries. Doesn't make sense to me. Players have set backs, injuries don't heal quickly for some as they do on others, or they get misdiagnosed. It happens!

I hurt my knee playing football, hospital said originally it was just an impact injury, ice it up and I'll be back in a few weeks. A year later I've recenty had an ACL reconstruction and am another 6 months away from returning. Did anyone lie to me? No, they got it wrong.

And even though the docs have said 6 months before I can play football, it may be less, it may be longer, depending on how quickly my body heals.

Olympiakos are weaker than when we played them last year. They lost Mirallas and Mellberg, and replaced them with young unproven inexperienced players. Plus, their new coach, Leonardo Jardim, only has one year of European experience. Think we could feasibly beat them by more than 3 goals if we're on form.
They've still got this boss :cool:

παντελιτς+ολυμπιακοσ+pantelic+olympiakos+redcampeongr.jpg

Archived