Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Materazzi didn't deserve it, he was tugging his shirt and Zidane said 'I'll give it to you after' and he said 'I'd rather have your sister' :D I'd have said 'feck off you c___' and given him some hard digs or physical play not a running headbutt

Zidane was talking about how it was so terrible what Materazzi said to him so the media went into overdrive 'oh, it's religion, isn't it, it's religion'. I was like 'oh, his sister. grow up'. Pretty Ian Wright used to dish out worse than that on a weekly basis in the league to defenders for Arsenal :D

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zidane was a pussy for his reaction. i always thought that's how people viewed it.

in his career i am pretty sure it wasn't the first time his sister or mother (or even brother/father) came into the firing line.

i really do believe he got off lightly for that.

Maybe he is protective but you're gonna get into a lot of fights if you fly off the handle everytime someone mentions your sister.

Just the way he went on about it everyone had decided Materazzi was the worst person ever before the truth came out. Materazzi got a few game ban for that ... for winding someone up? Zidane got away with that as some kind of hero

that says to me we can give him a 3 game suspension. hell even till the end of the season (though this kills my FF team. i suspect the latter.

from an FA perspective, we wait to hear from the ref why he went to talk to luis after the incident. the ref has the scope to say he rushed there to attend to the reaction between the players. without necessarily having seen the incident.

edit - this was in reply to the post below before vampok posted the 2nd post

Probably will be one soon!

"I'm sad for what it happened this afternoon, I apologize Ivanovic and all football world for my inexcusable behaviour. I'm so sorry about it!!"

I mean biting has no place on the pitch, it was idiotic but I was more like why has he done that, what an utter idiot then 'he should never play football again, he must die'

Does anyone have the Dutch link at hand, was it worse? Seem to remember it being more, erm, rabid :D I mean 4 or 5 games, gross misconduct/violent play but all this talk of being arrested is taking it a bit far, for me

this tbqh.

similar punishment to what he got at ajax should be expected. he is an utter tool tho.

this tbqh.

similar punishment to what he got at ajax should be expected. he is an utter tool tho.

Thing is though, giving him the same punishment seems a bit pointless, it clearly didn't work on changing his behaviour as he's just done it again. If someone offends again, you up the punishment, so for me should be a longer ban. Fair play to Liverpool for getting a statement out quickly, though it's not as strong as I thought it might be

maybe by 1 or 2 games but they cant really go overboard when they didnt pull defoe up for it just because the ref saw it bollocks...

im sure we're still deciding what to do with him too, whether or not to get rid will be high on the list im sure.

Yeah I'd say adding a couple of games at least. I was out of the country and completely missed the whole Defoe thing, now really need to do some catching up :D

Is that all Rodgers had to say in his statement?

I've had a lot of texts from mates, some support Liverpool and others don't but they all seem to think Luis will be gone in the summer. Whats the general consensus in here about it?

Happy for him to stay if he takes his punishment? Want him gone because you can no longer trust him and he will most likely do something similar again bringing the club into the spotlight for the wrong reasons. Personally would be gutted to see him go because he's a pure genius on the pitch but can also see the other side of it too. Blah.

Anyone see the comments on Souness by John Aldridge?

Fined but still has a future at the club and just needs to work on his discipline.Winning really is everything. This is everything I hate about modern sport.
Winning has been everything for a good while now, in many sports and not just in modern times.

Not saying i agree with it, just pointing this out.

Hope coutinho's performance yesterday was a one off. He was worse than Henderson.
They were both awful. Shame as i thought Henderson was beginning to find a role in the team.

We were generally pretty bad for most of that game yesterday. Thought Sturridge was our only good player, but Carragher did a few quality passes out from the back too. Better than Agger in that regard.

Henderson improved in the second half by disappearing from the game completely, instead of being involved and messing everything up in the first half.
He moved to that left sided position when Sturridge came on didn't he? I agree, he did much less damage out there.

Fined but still has a future at the club and just needs to work on his discipline.Winning really is everything. This is everything I hate about modern sport.

the fact he was only fined could mean anything. for instance, it could be the owners are sick of the publicity he brings and want him gone. they might think that purpose is best served by him being on the pitch these last remaining goals show casing his skill and scoring. so that they get value out of selling him.

there could be other scenarios as well. just pointing out that without privy to management’s thoughts, you are no more speculating as i am above.

the fact he was only fined could mean anything. for instance, it could be the owners are sick of the publicity he brings and want him gone. they might think that purpose is best served by him being on the pitch these last remaining goals show casing his skill and scoring. so that they get value out of selling him. there could be other scenarios as well. just pointing out that without privy to management’s thoughts, you are no more speculating as i am above.
Publicly letting him off lightly so we don't lose resale value is part of what I hate.

We've already made enough terrible business decisions, let's not make another one based on what some people believe is morally the right thing to do.

I for one hope that he does stay, works on his mentality and keeps scoring hatfuls for us. There is literally nobody in the world who could replace him for LFC right now.

We've already made enough terrible business decisions, let's not make another one based on what some people believe is morally the right thing to do.

I for one hope that he does stay, works on his mentality and keeps scoring hatfuls for us. There is literally nobody in the world who could replace him for LFC right now.

Anyone else think he's more likely to stay now than he was before?

I reckon we might have sold him in the summer, as he'd no doubt want to play in the CL eventually, and what better time for the club to sell him than when he's at the top of his game?

After this i think his value will have dropped, so we we're less likely to accept a bid, and a few clubs will have been put off anyway.

I only saw the match itself yesterday, I'm wondering if Coutinho was singled out for criticism by any of the Sky/MOTD pundits? All of a sudden being told that "he's a waste of money" when only a few weeks ago he looked "pretty handy".

For the record I'm in the 'wait and see' camp considering its been less than 3 months.

Archived