Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Might as well just forfeit the game, clearly have no interest in taking the competition remotely seriously and would rather just keep our small squad fit and available for league games.

A win against Young Boys at home and a draw away to Udinese and we're almost certainly through. Even the win against Young Boys could be enough so I think this game was always going to be a reserve team.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No but don't forget that we didn't have to travel for the Everton game. Whilst its another long journey for the lads down to London for the Chelsea game. Plus which competition do you believe Rodgers is being judged on this season by the owners? It's obviously the premier league, Kenny got sacked for finishing 8th. We are currently 12th and lets be honest if we get battered on Sunday the table will look worse than it already does. It won't take much longer for certain sections of our support to turn on Rodgers. I heard enough of it starting against Newcastle when leaving the ground to be honest. A lot of people slating Allen, pointing out that without Suarez we would be in a lot of trouble and basically not enjoying Rodgers' system of passing it between Allen and the centre halves for a few minutes before moving up the field. All this whilst a club legend like Rafa is still living locally and wants the job.

I want Rodgers to be a success, I'd love him to be here for thirty years similar to the way Ferguson has been at Utd. But the pressure from the owners will be to provide champions league football year in year out. I know it won't happen this season, we probably won't come close. But by the time we play Chelsea we will be almost a third of the way through the season, if we lose we will be firmly within the bottom half, out of the league cup and with the line up we have sent to Russia a potentially very difficult last couple of games to get out of the group in the Europa. If we win on Sunday, we prove we can still compete with the best on our day and be a maximum of 6 points off the top 4. He has to stay in touching distance with top 4 until January, then with the right backing and signings in the transfer window he might just go close and improve on last seasons league position.

Rodgers will be a success. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish in my eyes.

I hope he will. I'll admit I'm not as sold on him as most. But I think with time and backing from the owners he could be very good for us. I'm actually excited about a transfer window for the first time in a while, really hope the funds are there to strengthen the areas we required. Also hope Downing and Cole are gone, that would be ideal.

Why do it then, and not do it again now? Is the Chelsea game more important than the Everton one? If we cared enough about the competition as a whole every game would have a half decent strength squad regardless of who we were playing in the league. A big home win before the derby would have been a big enough boost that it was worth the risk of a full strength team. The game this week clearly isn't worth that risk.

because it's in Moscow,. The league is of course more important than Europa, but that doesn't mean both arent being taken seriously. However the travel involved in going to Moscow and back before a trip down to London is quite different to two games in Liverpool. Anyone involved in the away trip to Moscow is gonna be pretty tired for the Chelsea game so priority has to be chosen, this wasn't the case for the Everton game so a full strength team could be put out.

because it's in Moscow,. The league is of course more important than Europa, but that doesn't mean both arent being taken seriously. However the travel involved in going to Moscow and back before a trip down to London is quite different to two games in Liverpool. Anyone involved in the away trip to Moscow is gonna be pretty tired for the Chelsea game so priority has to be chosen, this wasn't the case for the Everton game so a full strength team could be put out.

Thank you, wonder if he will actually respond to this reasoning with you.

The general strength of the Europa league squads we have fielded home and away so far, and are looking to send this week isn't of sufficient quality for me to believe we want to seriously progress in the competition. Continuing to send weakened squads to away games when we haven't yet qualified isn't a gamble I think we would take if Rodgers considered the competition important.

Experienced players... Raheem Sterling

Wtf? :D

You're being linked to Alex Pearce (centre back at Reading). Rodgers made him captain when he was here. Good player, free transfer in the summer, and not responsible for our present defensive shambles because McDermott is refusing to play him. Speculation that he's not being played because of your interest and us offering a pitiful wage. He wouldn't displace Skrtel or Agger though.

If we had the same squad but were in the CL instead of Europa, suddenly the major players would have enough energy to play a couple of games a week. The choice to rest practically all of them is a choice, it's not forced at all.

right, because the CL is worth more of a disturbance to our league performances than the Europa is. That's not the same at all as us not taking the competition seriously.

I know Gerrard took a bit of an unfair pounding in here the other day (fwiw I thought he was the least bad of our midfielders, but that's not saying much, I know). But one thing we should give him praise for is how much better a captain he is this season. Putting his arm round Sterling, talking to refs not remonstrating like a mardy arse, less shouting at his own players. Pretty sure he saved Sterling a 1st half booking on Saturday and definitely calmed the ref in the derby by going over and protecting him when Sterling had committed that series of fouls. Top captaining. Pretty sure this is a thing Rodgers has pulled him up on.

Seriously doubt Cole will go anywhere unless it’s on another loan. No one will match his current wage and he’s unlikely to take a pay cut in exchange for first team football at this stage in his career.

Downing might be more likely to go, but it all depends on how much he’s getting now and whether he’ll take a drop or if you’re willing to pay a contribution towards his wage. It could also depend on how much you want to recoup from the transfer. If you dig your heels in like you did with Andy Carroll then you may not get any bidders.

right, because the CL is worth more of a disturbance to our league performances than the Europa is. That's not the same at all as us not taking the competition seriously.

I think it is the same. Short of playing the u18s, we couldn't put out a weaker team this week, in a group stage of a competition that we haven't yet qualified to go through to the next round. I'm sorry but that is NOT taking it seriously at all.

I am pretty sure MON would buy him.

Downing? They have McClean and Johnson on the wings and I’m not convinced they have the cash to buy players. MON has already been talking about loan signings being an option in January, so perhaps their spending over the years has caught up with them.

Realistically europe is going to be difficult to qualify for this year for you lot. Therefore I'd use the league to bring through your young players and take the cup competitions seriously. Who really cares if you finish 14th in the league, if it means you win a cup or two. Saving players for the league, after the start you've had, seems silly.

Thats just my opinion

Realistically europe is going to be difficult to qualify for this year for you lot. Therefore I'd use the league to bring through your young players and take the cup competitions seriously. Who really cares if you finish 14th in the league, if it means you win a cup or two. Saving players for the league, after the start you've had, seems silly.

Thats just my opinion

Dalglish got sacked for finishing 8th with a trophy I wouldn't fancy Rodgers chances at 14th with a trophy!

Dalglish got sacked for finishing 8th with a trophy I wouldn't fancy Rodgers chances at 14th with a trophy!

But Dalglish wasn't really in the business of blooding youngsters like Rodgers is. Makes me wonder what really is the minimum he could get away with this year. Would 14th really see him sacked, I doubt it.

I suppose a lot will depend on how much they support him in January

If he gets sacked, after how much we persuid him and the owners saying we are building for the future with a young manager then we truely are going backwards. We cant keep sacking managers, especially not one who should be here for the long haul.

The potential in his methods is clear for all to see, he just needs to be able to bring in 3 or 4 players of genuine quality to take us up about 10 notches. Whether we can afford that is another question, hopefully FSG will show they mean business in January after the disastrous summer.

Pleased that Suarez and Gerrard haven't even travelled, bit surprised that so many others haven't though.

Where has Pacheco gone? I know he's not ideal for the lone frontman role but surely he's further in his development than Yesil?

Am sure I read somewhere Pacheco had a stormer for the reserves/u21 side what ever its actually labelled now last week.

Archived