The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jurgen Klopp must be worth a shot. Fits the bill of working to a tight budget and has champions league experience. Promotes youth and plays good football.

UTD work on a tight budget? :lol:

The thing with Klopp is that he's German - and as such has a huge identity with Dortmund and his players. This may not translate well to such a big club as Utd. Someone like Jose has proven he can identify with England and it's players. Plus he can't just bring his players with him - he was lucky to have been able to buy Gundogan at such a small price, for example.

Should get Jupp Heynckes. Don't think he's quite made up his mind as to whether or not to retire and this could easily tempt him.

Rumours that he may take over Germany when Low leaves. I'd imagine Low may not leave prior to the World Cup but never know and Arsenal been linked with Low too if Wenger went PSG (and Ancelotti to Madrid)

Who wants to be the guy following Fergie, I'd rather be the guy after the guy

Should get Jupp Heynckes. Don't think he's quite made up his mind as to whether or not to retire and this could easily tempt him.

His management career could be at best described as inconsistent

Wow. Wasn't party to any of these rumours last night as I was in bed for 10.30. Log on this morning to see this and it's pretty hard to take in. It was always going to happen sooner or later, but now it's actually been announced it's just really hard to fathom. He's been manager since I was 3 years old, so for me, he's been our only manager and I really can't imagine anyone else being our manager despite, as I say, knowing it would happen one day.

As for replacement, I've been pushing for Moyes for a while. Really do not want Mourinho at all. Just really don't see him being the type of manager we need. He would come in for a whirlwind couple of years then leave, as he has done at every club he has managed and regardless of his successes, I would rather someone who is in it for the long term, and to me, Moyes fits that description perfectly. Also it is important that whoever we get is given the time to get in to things, within reason. Look at Fergie as the prime example, almost sacked but for that goal by Mark Robins and has gone on to achieve what he has, so whoever comes in should not be let go for not immediately replicating Fergie's success.

Moyes has done an amazing job at Everton, has found some right gems on a very tight budget and has had to let top players go due to bigger clubs coming calling, but has always replaced those players and kept the team doing as well as they have.

Looking at the other names being mentioned, at least in the poll thread in this forum, it just can't be someone like Gary Neville or OGS, it has to be someone with experience. I really don't know much about Klopp other than the fact he has gor Dortmund to the CL Final.

For me it just has to be Moyes. Experience in sticking with a club for many years, experience of the Premier League and managing an English team in European competition.

Other than those above ramblings, it's all still really pretty difficult to take in atm :(

A massive, massive thank you to Sir Alex for everything he has done, he will be hugely missed as our manager. Thank you.

As I've said elsewhere regarding Moyes' record in the transfer market, for every Jagielka, Baines, and Pienaar, there's a Yakubu, Bilyaletdinov, and Kroldrup.

You're forgetting Arteta and Cahill.

As I've said elsewhere regarding Moyes' record in the transfer market, for every Jagielka, Baines, and Pienaar, there's a Yakubu, Bilyaletdinov, and Kroldrup.

And for every Ronaldo, Schmeichel and Solskjaer, there's a Kleberson, Taibi and Djemba Djemba. ;)

I think Moyes naturally needs to take a few gambles with his limited resources, and understandably, not all of them pay off. At least with a small gamble, any flops are just small losses. I think he has a decent "hit-ratio" with these signings in mind.

Just dont get it if it were Moyes yes done well at everton but not won anything and were talking Man U here not the next step up but like many more steps up. I mean I'll admit he was my first choice as spurs manager last summer which would have been the next step for him.

But then again Wenger aint won anything for 8 years yet he's still around. Coincidence that next 2 longest serving managers at same club aint won anything between them since 2005.

I mean there is no way anyone coming in could "get away with that" at Man U which is an intereesting way of putting it.

End of day Man U will just have to get used to the fact they cant have a "long term" manager anymore, it just dont work like that these days.

Oh great, strong rumours now coming from senior sources that Mourinho is definitely not in the running.

It's going to be ****ing Moyes, isn't it? :(

If they are gonna appoint within or name within 48 hours it has to be something far down the line i.e. not Bielsa or Pellegrini, etc so either secret talks with Mourinho this whole time or .... Moyes

I wonder when Fergie decided?

Not really finding the will to care tbh, like getting to pick the foster home after your parents have pegged it. The dull Scottish one where you're guaranteed 3 square meals a day even if 2 of them involve porridge or the expensive foreign ranch which comes with a roller coaster but also a high chance of getting buggered. Either way it's not going to be as good.

But then again Wenger aint won anything for 8 years yet he's still around. Coincidence that next 2 longest serving managers at same club aint won anything between them since 2005.

I mean there is no way anyone coming in could "get away with that" at Man U which is an intereesting way of putting it.

Eh? .

Not really finding the will to care tbh, like getting to pick the foster home after your parents have pegged it. The dull Scottish one where you're guaranteed 3 square meals a day even if 2 of them involve porridge or the expensive foreign ranch which comes with a roller coaster but also a high chance of getting buggered. Either way it's not going to be as good.

:applause:

Eh? .

Wenger and Moyes now being the longest serving managers at the same club yet a coincidence they both havent won anything since 2005 yet you'd perhaps exepct them to have done i.e. there is no way that will happen now at Man U.

Archived