Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, SuperFulhamFC said:

Thanks @superdave

I'd not contemplated this. I play with both a RPM in the centre and AP on the right wing (which sounds similar to you). What would you recommend changing the RPM to, and why?

I play with an AP and a DLP.  Look at the stats for the RP.  If his stats are ok, I wouldn't change.  If they aren't, we'll, I've had success with a DLP/AP combination.

How can I prepare the pre season? In all my games (2015,2016,2017, etc) I start the season with an average of 6-7 key players injured.  I play 6-7 games + fitness team training with an overall workload of medium.

What am I doing wrong?

PS: All the players get injured between games, only one or two during a match.

How  can i increase the speed a player reaches tactical familiarity (is there a stat (adapatbility?) or training regime) that can increase this, or is it all game time? 

Not match prep.

@herne79  ??

Edited by wkdsoul

2 hours ago, bosque said:

How can I prepare the pre season? In all my games (2015,2016,2017, etc) I start the season with an average of 6-7 key players injured.  I play 6-7 games + fitness team training with an overall workload of medium.

What am I doing wrong?

PS: All the players get injured between games, only one or two during a match.

Fitness Team Training looks to boost the physical attributes of your players.  It's doesn't get your players match fit.  To get players match fit you have to play matches, which is what friendlies are for during pre-season.

Personally I play 11 players for the first 45 mins of a match, then sub all of them at half time.  I usually play 8-10 friendlies during pre-season and I do this for each match.  All players will be match fit by the end of this, assuming they didn't pick up an injury. 

While that is happening I tend to set my General Training to whatever I usually set it to during the season on Medium workload.  If I've introduced a large number of new faces (unlikely) I'll set it to Team Cohesion for a month or so.

I have a question regarding training a player for a certain role and duty. I'm pretty sure this was possible in FM15 but haven't seen it in the last two versions unless I'm missing something. 

I want to train a mc for the role of central midfielder with the duty of defend but that does seem possible. I can only train him for the role and can't select a duty. This means he is training things like finishing and long shots which aren't needed for the defend duty but are for the attack duty.

This seems like a waste of training time as he is focusing on non essential attributes.

Is there a way to set training to central midfield defend?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, frank_olaf said:

I have a question regarding training a player for a certain role and duty. I'm pretty sure this was possible in FM15 but haven't seen it in the last two versions unless I'm missing something. 

I want to train a mc for the role of central midfielder with the duty of defend but that does seem possible. I can only train him for the role and can't select a duty. This means he is training things like finishing and long shots which aren't needed for the defend duty but are for the attack duty.

This seems like a waste of training time as he is focusing on non essential attributes.

Is there a way to set training to central midfield defend?

Thanks.

No you can't, now you will need to play him as Defend or you need to specifically assign him individual focus. His attributes will also be affected by the position he is playing in and the duty he is on, alternatively just put him on defensive midfielder training and you will get the key focus areas to be the essential ones.

4 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Hi,

Anyone know if players height increases?

I have a brazilian regen, 15 yo, central defender with great stats, 5 stars potential, but he has only 1,68 meters height. Will it increase in the next couple of years?

Yes players can indeed grow.  I don't think it's guaranteed, but they certainly can.

However, a 1.68m central defender will never grow into a giant so if he doesn't grow as much as you'd like, consider a back up plan (a DM perhaps?  Or a Fullback?).  But then a lack of height never seemed to bother The Berlin Wall too much ;).

On 1/31/2017 at 17:20, nextqprmanager said:

Something is bothering me, just started my 1st prem Season after promotion from Championship in 1st season.

Had Training Camp, Done Pre-season with lots of games, tactic familiarity is up, Training focus has been Teamwork for at least 4 matches ; BUT Team Cohesion is non-existant?. Any ideas pls?

BTW, Should I sort Training out ?, but what does the Assist Man then do?

thx

re-sent

I don`t think i got a reply to this?

thx in adv

2 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

My Personal Assistant keeps coming to me and saying that `I have removed these players off your shortlist as per your instructions`.

Where did I say that - help please?

thx

Not a Tactics or Training question (note thread title ;)) so you may be better off asking in the General Discussion forum.

I also don't understand the question or know the answer.

2 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

re-sent

I don`t think i got a reply to this?

thx in adv

Team Cohesion will increase over time as your players play together.  You can also influence this by setting General Training to Team Cohesion, and even increase the workload to speed things up.  Usually best done during pre-season friendlies.

In terms of you sorting out training or not, it's up to you and how hands on you want to be.  By leaving training up to your AM your players may not focus on developing the skills and attributes that you want them to improve.  Your AM doesn't know what you want, so he'll just set things up himself.  Your players will still develop, just not necessarily exactly how you want them to.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 17:07, wkdsoul said:

How  can i increase the speed a player reaches tactical familiarity (is there a stat (adapatbility?) or training regime) that can increase this, or is it all game time? 

Not match prep.

@herne79  ??

As far as I'm aware, it's just time.

3 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

My Personal Assistant keeps coming to me and saying that `I have removed these players off your shortlist as per your instructions`.

Where did I say that - help please?

thx

This happens when you place a player on your shortlist for certain amount of time - 1 month, 3 moths, 6 months, 1 year. After that period the player is removed from your shortlist and you get this notice. The same thing happens when you scout a player and then add him to your shortlist. He is only there for certain amount of days.

I have a forward who is strong, ingeligent, good with heading and shooting. In my system I use him as a DLF because I want him to drop deep, hold the ball with his strenght and wait for the runs from the AM(a) and the CF(a). He is doing that really well and he is also the main scorer from my team. But I want to give him another little job :D. I want to use his very good heading, jump and strenght. 

Is possible to make him drop deep to play as a playmaker upfront but to also be an important treath in the box to wait for crosses?

How can you make players double up on the opponent in possession? When a winger has the ball, I notice that only my fullback is pressing him, which makes it a gamble. If the winger is better, he wins the battle. While I prefer to make another player of my team close down the player in possession too (be it a wide midfielder, a central midfielder or a central defender). How can I achieve those defensive overloads? I'm playing a very structured, defensive 4-4-2-0 at the moment.

On 2/6/2017 at 12:24, Kcinnay said:

How can you make players double up on the opponent in possession? When a winger has the ball, I notice that only my fullback is pressing him, which makes it a gamble. If the winger is better, he wins the battle. While I prefer to make another player of my team close down the player in possession too (be it a wide midfielder, a central midfielder or a central defender). How can I achieve those defensive overloads? I'm playing a very structured, defensive 4-4-2-0 at the moment.

In my opinion the best way to achieve that is to close down the opponent.  IOW you achieve this with OI not PI.

99% of the time i "always close down" opposition LW/AML & RW/AMR.

1 hour ago, superdave said:

In my opinion the best way to achieve that is to close down the opponent.  IOW you achieve this with OI not PI.

99% of the time i "always close down" opposition LW/AML & RW/AMR.

That's what I do too, but still, only the fullback is closing down...

17 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

You likely need a player from the central midfield on that side of the pitch with a higher closing down setting- more or much more. You can try it with a wide midfielder too, but it needs to be a player who doesn't have someone to immediately mark in their zone. I get the doubling happen with a BWM under the right conditions.

EDIT: the problem with using OI is that basically it tells the nearest player to the instruction to carry it out- so if you set "tackle harder" on an opponent, you won't see half your team bombing across the pitch to tackle him. So with the closing down, the nearest man closes him down and in this case, it would be your fullback.

22 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

Something else just occurred to me as I was setting up a match- mind you I would probably never do this for obvious reasons but . . . you could set two players to specifically mark the same guy. It could work in a specific situation if there was one particular player that was just hammering you. Just a thought.

5 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

You likely need a player from the central midfield on that side of the pitch with a higher closing down setting- more or much more. You can try it with a wide midfielder too, but it needs to be a player who doesn't have someone to immediately mark in their zone. I get the doubling happen with a BWM under the right conditions.

Many thanks for your advice. I'll tweak the PI and/or the roles of my CMs, change 1 of them (or maybe 2) to the BWM role, to create the doubling. I'll report how that turns out.

Edit:

About the man marking: that certainly could work, it's an interesting thought. But I'm looking for overloads in the zonal marking system. That's what the tactics creator is missing; the ability to create different sorts of zonal marking. As a real life football coach, I tried to create defensive overloads, to eliminate the element of chance as much as possible, create 2 or 3 vs 1 situations (very compact). I wanted one of my CD's shift to the side when the ball was there, to double up with the full back, for example. In a 1 vs 1, it's a matter of who's the better player, the attacker or the defender. But colleagues of mine were perfectly happy with 1 vs 1 situations. Athough they were using the same principles of zonal marking, the way they made their team play and press was way different of mine. That's why I'd like to have an advanced option in the tactics creator, where the pitch would be divided in zones, so you could be able to create specific forms of pressing. If I remember correctly, something like that was possible in CM 01/02, or in a version around that time. (I was still very young then, that's why I don't remember specifically.)

But your comment about the double man marking is intruiging. I'll try that in a game where the opponent has a specific 'star'.

Edited by Kcinnay

1 hour ago, Kcinnay said:

Many thanks for your advice. I'll tweak the PI and/or the roles of my CMs, change 1 of them (or maybe 2) to the BWM role, to create the doubling. I'll report how that turns out.

Edit:

About the man marking: that certainly could work, it's an interesting thought. But I'm looking for overloads in the zonal marking system. That's what the tactics creator is missing; the ability to create different sorts of zonal marking. As a real life football coach, I tried to create defensive overloads, to eliminate the element of chance as much as possible, create 2 or 3 vs 1 situations (very compact). I wanted one of my CD's shift to the side when the ball was there, to double up with the full back, for example. In a 1 vs 1, it's a matter of who's the better player, the attacker or the defender. But colleagues of mine were perfectly happy with 1 vs 1 situations. Athough they were using the same principles of zonal marking, the way they made their team play and press was way different of mine. That's why I'd like to have an advanced option in the tactics creator, where the pitch would be divided in zones, so you could be able to create specific forms of pressing. If I remember correctly, something like that was possible in CM 01/02, or in a version around that time. (I was still very young then, that's why I don't remember specifically.)

But your comment about the double man marking is intruiging. I'll try that in a game where the opponent has a specific 'star'.

I'm in a complete agreement with that bolded bit- I think it is the next evolution of where things are headed (not based on anything specific SI has or hasn't said, just how things have progressed in the ME to date). You are right, you could create something more along those lines with the old wibble wobble system from ages ago.

Anyhow, update me on how you get along trying to create defensive overloads in specific areas. I know Rashidi has managed to do it, but he is a good bit beyond me in understanding certain parts of the match engine. The double man marking thing was just a random flash I had when I was tinkering with player instructions a bit ago and thought that it could work. Problems with it are obvious, so whoever you are assigning to do the "extra" marking would have to have players around him to cover the space he'll leave. And, glad to meet a fellow coach- not to derail the thread or anything, but what level of coaching do you do? I am coaching women's u19/u20 at the club level for players preparing to play in the NCAA.

1 hour ago, Dr. Hook said:

Anyhow, update me on how you get along trying to create defensive overloads in specific areas. I know Rashidi has managed to do it, but he is a good bit beyond me in understanding certain parts of the match engine. The double man marking thing was just a random flash I had when I was tinkering with player instructions a bit ago and thought that it could work. Problems with it are obvious, so whoever you are assigning to do the "extra" marking would have to have players around him to cover the space he'll leave. And, glad to meet a fellow coach- not to derail the thread or anything, but what level of coaching do you do? I am coaching women's u19/u20 at the club level for players preparing to play in the NCAA.

Do you know if Rashidi has written about that specific topic - and where I can read it? Did a quick search on the forum and on his blog, but I couldn't find it. Considering his knowledge of how the ME works, that'd be very insightful - like everything he writes about, actually.

I'm a licensed coach, but I've been retired since 2009. It's funny, I was coaching women too; used to work as a coach for the elite youth (U18) of the reigning Belgian champions of that time, and later, I was a head coach in the national third division. I know seem like an old guy, but I retired from coaching before I was 20. Some of my players where almost twice my age. Started very young, hugely ambitious, and was - and still am, I think - the youngest head coach in Belgium in a national division, even though it was in the women's department, which wasn't a big deal then - media coverage increased hugely last years. Had to retire because I had to choose between that ambition and my other ambition. Now, at age 28, I'm a professional playwright, stage director and novelist, which unfortunately can't be combined with a (semi-pro) job as football coach, two different worlds. I terribly miss it. So playing FM is my cure and disease for coaching nostalgia. :-)

I appreciate this may of already been answered, but:

If I have a roaming playmaker or box to box midfielder, both of these roles have    roam from position  = often 

If i then set my team instruction to   Stick to positions    will these roles change the roaming setting under the hood to mixed or even rarely?

Thanks in advance 

13 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

Do you know if Rashidi has written about that specific topic - and where I can read it? Did a quick search on the forum and on his blog, but I couldn't find it. Considering his knowledge of how the ME works, that'd be very insightful - like everything he writes about, actually.

He hasn't done anything publicly on this that I know of, but the general principle behind it is manipulating the d-line in combination with closing down PI's based on where you want to press on the pitch. Then of course, your team mentality and shape are factors too, but that is gist of it.

EDIT: @Kcinnay here is something did find which gives out some of the basic things he is talking about-

59 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

Is there a guide to 'in match' team talk uses and application/benefits? 

I don't use team talks becuase I am playing FMT but I think cleon once said that team talks need te be situational without seeint the result. If you are losing 0-1 against a top team but they only shoot on goal once or twice in the entire half and the goal was a free kick, then you might be playing ok. So you tell the guys it was bad luck

4 minutes ago, bosque said:

I don't use team talks becuase I am playing FMT but I think cleon once said that team talks need te be situational without seeint the result. If you are losing 0-1 against a top team but they only shoot on goal once or twice in the entire half and the goal was a free kick, then you might be playing ok. So you tell the guys it was bad luck

Thats the halftime ones, i mean the ones for during the play.

20 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

Is there a guide to 'in match' team talk uses and application/benefits? 

To directly answer the question, I've never seen a guide.

These in-match shouts only have a short term (5/10 mins?) effect and that effect is pretty minimal anyway as far as I know.

Personally I'd like to see this area of the game developed more - I think there is huge untapped potential here.

18 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

I use Assertive encourage which works quite well,

also tighten up if defending alot & demand more if losing

I normally go aggressive at ht - mostly works

hope that helps?

3 hours ago, superdave said:

I like get creative when I need a goal.  That and encourage are 80-90% of my in game talks.

2 minutes ago, herne79 said:

To directly answer the question, I've never seen a guide.

These in-match shouts only have a short term (5/10 mins?) effect and that effect is pretty minimal anyway as far as I know.

Personally I'd like to see this area of the game developed more - I think there is huge untapped potential here.

Cheers,  I did wonder on the effect/duration

12 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F5BP78dzSNiHMAuXrBzjP9HBqqAk4aAJlT80ilToAas/pubhtml#

Is it accurate? I'm still struggling to get it to logical terms, especially the Defensive/Attacking Triangle.

Bloody hell, no wonder you are struggling to get it to logical terms.  I don't think I've ever seen anything so complicated :eek:.

Apart from give yourself a headache, what on earth are you trying to do?

Just now, herne79 said:

Bloody hell, no wonder you are struggling to get it to logical terms.  I don't think I've ever seen anything so complicated :eek:.

Apart from give yourself a headache, what on earth are you trying to do?

To understand what exactly every player roles does on the ball and off the ball. That way I can pick the right role for my system.

1 hour ago, nightwalker22 said:

To understand what exactly every player roles does on the ball and off the ball. That way I can pick the right role for my system.

I don't think you are ever going to get the level of certainty it sounds like you are looking for. The best you can do is to have a general idea of what the role and duty does, and that info isn't really that complicated or hard to come by. To get exacting is to take into account way too many things including but not limited to: shape, mentality, team instructions, player attributes, PPMs, opposition setup, opposition players, player form, fitness and on and on.

If you go by the role and duty descriptions given in the tactics creator you are on the right track and in the general area. I know that some of those are a bit misleading, but in general, they are correct. Duty simply sets a players mentality within your larger team mentality- as a result, their mentality will change as well as sometimes player instructions with a duty change. If you consider duty as a risk barometer (and you should as that is all it is) then you have that nailed down. It basically will govern how far forward a player will go when you have the ball. Then you look at the embedded instructions to see what else that duty comes with. Done.

What about picking a role? Well your system and the players you have should tell you straightaway what sort of roles you need. Once you define a playing style for your team and know your players, set the roles accordingly- do you want adventurous wing play? Choose a wingback role. Then based on how adventurous you want that to be, select a duty. If you want a holding midfielder, select the role and duty that does that- choose by looking at the role and duty description and look at the instructions and mentality.

What I am really getting at here, is that looking at a complicated chart is probably going to cause you to overthink things, especially if it isn't right. Role and duty are important choices, but they should be natural and intuitive choices based on what you are setting out to do. Changing them is a matter of 1) observation- is it playing as you expected it to- and 2) response to a specific match situation. I think if you go much beyond that you are going to think yourself into a frustrating hole.

12 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

I don't think you are ever going to get the level of certainty it sounds like you are looking for. The best you can do is to have a general idea of what the role and duty does, and that info isn't really that complicated or hard to come by. To get exacting is to take into account way too many things including but not limited to: shape, mentality, team instructions, player attributes, PPMs, opposition setup, opposition players, player form, fitness and on and on.

If you go by the role and duty descriptions given in the tactics creator you are on the right track and in the general area. I know that some of those are a bit misleading, but in general, they are correct. Duty simply sets a players mentality within your larger team mentality- as a result, their mentality will change as well as sometimes player instructions with a duty change. If you consider duty as a risk barometer (and you should as that is all it is) then you have that nailed down. It basically will govern how far forward a player will go when you have the ball. Then you look at the embedded instructions to see what else that duty comes with. Done.

What about picking a role? Well your system and the players you have should tell you straightaway what sort of roles you need. Once you define a playing style for your team and know your players, set the roles accordingly- do you want adventurous wing play? Choose a wingback role. Then based on how adventurous you want that to be, select a duty. If you want a holding midfielder, select the role and duty that does that- choose by looking at the role and duty description and look at the instructions and mentality.

What I am really getting at here, is that looking at a complicated chart is probably going to cause you to overthink things, especially if it isn't right. Role and duty are important choices, but they should be natural and intuitive choices based on what you are setting out to do. Changing them is a matter of 1) observation- is it playing as you expected it to- and 2) response to a specific match situation. I think if you go much beyond that you are going to think yourself into a frustrating hole.

Alright, that was what I was doing, but still felt I had no idea what I am doing, like there's some hidden info that I need to find to have balance in my team.

Are player roles just convenient combinations of Player Instructions or something more?

I wonder if I'll take a generic CM (support) and give him all the instructions that a Roaming Playmaker has, will he play exactly the same as a RP, or is there something else that makes a specific role more unique?

17 minutes ago, GTD said:

Are player roles just convenient combinations of Player Instructions or something more?

I wonder if I'll take a generic CM (support) and give him all the instructions that a Roaming Playmaker has, will he play exactly the same as a RP, or is there something else that makes a specific role more unique?

To an extent yes, however there can be other under the hood differences as well.

For example, all playmakers are set as "ball magnets" so team mates will look to pass to them, whereas a modified CM(S) won't have that.  There can also be other differences in areas such as individual player mentality.

40 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

How to exploit space in a counter-attacking system? I mean, in a certain area of the pitch, if there's space spotted.

If they're playing a high line then an attack duty striker will be more likely to run in behind. If there's space behind fullbacks you could use clear ball to the flanks or instruct a striker to move into the channels. There's no cut and dry answer but generally you want (a) player/s positioned in that space or making runs into the vacated area.

20 minutes ago, Fosse said:

If they're playing a high line then an attack duty striker will be more likely to run in behind. If there's space behind fullbacks you could use clear ball to the flanks or instruct a striker to move into the channels. There's no cut and dry answer but generally you want (a) player/s positioned in that space or making runs into the vacated area.

Alright, got the general idea, just as I thought it would be, thanks.

Just now, Sebas said:

Could anyone please explain to me what is the point of signing under-18 coaches if first team coaches train the under-18s aswell?

It depends on the league whether they do or not- if in your case they do, you would still sign U18 coaches for workload reasons. If you have a large U18 squad, you can spread your staff way too thin. If you have a nice U18 staff, you don't have to have your senior coaches training them, either. You can just give them no U18 responsibilities by unticking them on the training screen. Lastly, your senior staff may not have strong working with youngsters attributes as that isn't why you are hiring them, whereas your U18 coaches should be strong in that trait.

Then again, you don't have to bother with U18 staff if you don't want to and your training is covered.

1 minute ago, Dr. Hook said:

It depends on the league whether they do or not- if in your case they do, you would still sign U18 coaches for workload reasons. If you have a large U18 squad, you can spread your staff way too thin. If you have a nice U18 staff, you don't have to have your senior coaches training them, either. You can just give them no U18 responsibilities by unticking them on the training screen. Lastly, your senior staff may not have strong working with youngsters attributes as that isn't why you are hiring them, whereas your U18 coaches should be strong in that trait.

Then again, you don't have to bother with U18 staff if you don't want to and your training is covered.

Thank you very much! Talking about coaches overload, what is the direct effect of it on player development? Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Sebas said:

Thank you very much! Talking about coaches overload, what is the direct effect of it on player development? Thanks in advance.

Training effectiveness is reduced if the coach workload is too high- you'll sometimes get cues from the player training screen where they say they "feel they aren't getting enough attention in X category" or something along those lines.