The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes when he is at his best he is premiership class. he is a proper box to box centre midfielder who can pass (very well), tackle (big strong *******), and score goals (cool finisher). We've sometimes delpoyed him as almost a second striker which he can do very well but for me not preferred position. he's better picking up the ball in central midfield and driving the team forward.

Being on form is the key for him though, there really is no doubting his class when on form but when things aren't going great like earlier this season while the team we're performing badly he was shown to be very inconsistent and drifted out of games. i had an arsenal supporting friend over for the home game against middlesborough who knew nothing about him and after the game said "so what exactly does Liam Trotter do". i could see his point although it was a very harsh judgement on one game.

One thing is for sure, and that's we value him at well over £1.5m so i would expect maybe double that if you're going to take him off us.

Cheers for that Wiggins, sounds exactly the sort of player we need tbh, we only got 6 goals from the centre midfielders combined last year and could really do with some more goals from that area of the pitch.

In other news Reading have signed Gareth McCleary after his release from Forest apparently.

he was injured a bit, story of his career, had a few bright sparks ( like his goal at leeds last season when we got humped after cohen got sent off for a nothing tackle ) but hes only played consistently well come end of contract time, before maybe feburary not many forest fans would have been that bothered about him going tbh

He was injured at the start of the season. He had a good last few months of the season and was one of our better players, despite only playing for the last few months. I think he was also our top scorer last season with 9 goals from 22 league games. Blackstock was our second top scorer and he was injured for the first part of the season. Majewski was our third and he was frozen out for a bit of the season as well.

Edit: What cms said. Would have liked him to stay. But not for the £10k a week we supposedly offered him.

We only got 6 goals from the centre midfielders combined last year and could really do with some more goals from that area of the pitch.

Saints were the top scorers in the Championship and had the third best defensive record, so the roles set for the central midfielders clearly worked. The job Adkins wants his central midfielders to do is to be quite deep in order to allow the fullbacks and wide midfielders more freedom than they otherwise would have. Morgan Schneiderlin for example spends most of his time just in front of the centre backs in a defensive midfield role, he rarely has the opportunity to get into a goalscoring position. As long as the team is scoring, not conceding and winning games, why does it matter where the goals come from?

Saints were the top scorers in the Championship and had the third best defensive record, so the roles set for the central midfielders clearly worked. The job Adkins wants his central midfielders to do is to be quite deep in order to allow the fullbacks and wide midfielders more freedom than they otherwise would have. Morgan Schneiderlin for example spends most of his time just in front of the centre backs in a defensive midfield role, he rarely has the opportunity to get into a goalscoring position. As long as the team is scoring, not conceding and winning games, why does it matter where the goals come from?

Of course it doesn't matter where the goals come from, but it is useful to have as many goal threats in the squad as possible, so if players are out of form then there are others to chip in. You are right about the tactics, but the current CM's are all that kind of player (with the exception of Chaplow, who I don't see being good enough for the Prem) so would be good to have another kind of player in the squad so the tactics could change.

Will be seeing you guys in League 1 next year then.

So much for Robs inside information :D

Offered far too much money to refuse...

Probably allows us to sign Stuart Gray as a replacement for him...

Our scout is our manager :(

Same here. Our new Chief Scout is our old left back's dad. It's all very confusing.

Crawley splashing the cash with SO'D in charge? Not good for us :(

The O'Driscoll-Coppell dream team :cool:

On another note, Shorey's been released by West Brom, as has Joe Mattock at Tchoyi. Could Reading make a move for Shorey again?

eh? Last time I checked he doesn't play for one of West Brom's players :D

why wouldnt he? hes just been released by a prem club, at least shorey is getting on a bit ( so might be looking for a lower wage packet ), likes the club and we know is a decent player at this level and isnt a ****. We can do a lot better than Joe ****ing mattock

He's 31 now and would request some fairly big wages unless he really, really, really enjoyed his time here. I'd be more interested in going for Mattock.

I think Mattock is more interested in staying out of prison at the moment.

Yeah but the transfer wont go through till the window re-opens by which point wont Fleetwood be in League 2? :confused:

The transfer window opened midnight of the day the league finished.

You're welcome for the free education.

Ah cheers didn't know that. :) Probably because Cov never sign players early. Basing my information on FM ftl :D

Is this just between domestic clubs though rather than a worldwide transfer window?

Heaton out on a free, and Lewis in on a free?

I've always thought Lewis struggles with shots close to him (from all his blunders I've seen) he can't get down quick enough... and lets them go through him.

But to be fair, I've never seen him play for 90 minutes week in and week out.

Is Heaton any good? I remember we were linked with him back in February ish.

Yeah Heaton's also a brilliant goalie but was unwilling to stay unless first-team football which is completely understandable. Fans here say he's better than Marshall probably due to his cup run heroics but I still believe at the current moment Marshall's better. We also have Parish who nobody really knows about so to get Lewis in on a free transfer more than likely as backup is awesome for the championship, really happy with that. Could be a bit dodgy but has had a good reputation in the past winning a England call up I remember, happy we didn't have to spend!

If you get Heaton he's an awesome keeper and really nice bloke :) Hope you get him instead of Brizzle!

Yeah Heaton's also a brilliant goalie but was unwilling to stay unless first-team football which is completely understandable. Fans here say he's better than Marshall probably due to his cup run heroics but I still believe at the current moment Marshall's better. We also have Parish who nobody really knows about so to get Lewis in on a free transfer more than likely as backup is awesome for the championship, really happy with that. Could be a bit dodgy but has had a good reputation in the past winning a England call up I remember, happy we didn't have to spend!

If you get Heaton he's an awesome keeper and really nice bloke :) Hope you get him instead of Brizzle!

Sounds good, but I don't think we are in for him now.

We've offered Brian Jensen another 12 months (which he's still not accepted though) so if he accepts it look's like he will be back up again next season, and unless we move on Grant I can't see us moving in for him. :( I think we could do with a new keeper aswell.. but I guess we have more important areas to strengthen first. (defence and midfield)

Yeah, Lewis would be good pedigree to have as a backup. :thup: When we played Peterborough this season, Lewis was having some banter with a group of young teens behind the goal, who were throwing snow balls at him etc.

Then at full time he went over to them, had a chat, then gave his gloves to them.. so he seems like a nice guy too.

Edit: [burnley fans that is]

Archived