Official FM2011 Match Engine Feedback Thread

Not sure if this comes under the match engine. Like to talk about animations. Still think that in certain instances some of the animations need to be looked at. when a player picks the ball up and starts doing step overs and the nearest defender is 20 yards away, don't really see the need to do it then. Also, same with the multiple body swerve. Why would a player do one when he has a lot of space to move into and there's no defenders near him? I could understand if a defender was fairly close by.

Mm, I've noticed this happening a few times. Also backheels when a player has time to take an extra touch and make the pass normally.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Final changelist as follows, but I dont yet know exactly when 11.3 is to be released - its still in final testing.

Match v915

----------

- Fixed 2 farly obscure bugs causing keepers to stray out of position at bad moments

- Improved keeper behaviour as corner or cross comes in

- Fixed keepers being overpowered on some point blank save attempts

- Fixed CCC being registered for some chances where a defender is goalside and close to shooting player

- Tried to make players head for goal a little more directly when dribbling close to opposition goal

- Fixed some players continuing to mark passing player when ball is in their danger zone and passer isnt

- Fine tuned difficulty of longer range shots, and shots taken at pace

Match v916

----------

- Fine tuned keeper behaviour at corners

- Fine tuned marking at set pieces

- Reduced multiple players going for same ball when defending set pieces

- Reduced instances of players missing headers badly

- Toned down tight man marking by defenders of players who have dropped deep

- Rebalanced number of shirt tugs vs trips

- Stopped midfield dropping back too close to defence too quickly when defending

- Fixed some examples of players dallying when moving to intercept loose ball

- Made players less fearful of offside when moving forward to support ball carrier

- Fixed player putting ball out of play for injury when there is a realistic chance of someone putting it into the net

- Fine tuned far post corner delivery

- Fine tuned shot choice for better players

- Tweaked "expected result" for FML matches

Match v917

----------

- Improved player marking at set pieces

- Improved AI use of full backs and wing backs

- Small tweak to make defenders cover their team mates a bit more willingly

- Fixed centre halves bombing forward ahead of full backs when team starts counter attack

- Fixed instances of players getting in way of free kick taking team mate

- Fixed issue with players not being recognised as clean through caused by 915 change

- Made players more conscious of getting ball onto best foot

- Some small general tweaks to on ball decision making

- Improved placed finish choice of corner to aim at

- Improved show onto weak foot AI when marking ball player

- Reduced red cards given for professional foul when there is possibly a covering player

Match v918

----------

- Fine tuned passing choice AI

- Fine tuned shot choice

- Fine tuned calculation of CCC's when shooting from an angle

- Fixed occasional bug causing keeper to make save in bizarre direction

- Make full backs generally get forward a little more willingly

- Fixed further and worse instances of players getting in way of freekick taking team mate

- Some fixes to marking of player carrying ball

- Fine tuned general marking AI

- Very small tweak to intercepting of ball AI

- Fixed very rare bug where player would stop engaging ball player to push up field

- Slightly narrowed D-line further in and around own area

Match v919

----------

- Small tweak to player momentum when fouled

- Further adjustment to full backs to stop them going forward too early when ball in own area and hence making it hard for keeper distribution

- Small change to facing direction when player makes run off ball

- Made players slightly more willing to turn on ball

Match v920

----------

- Fixed some examples of underhit short passes

- Made defenders more likely to close down advanced opponent running at their d-line regardless of how high up pitch

- Made players more inclined to keep possession against teams with less men

- Tried to reduce panicky clearances a little

- Made wingers with cut inside or free role instructions run slightly more centrally into space when possible

- Reduced some over ambitious dribble attempts

- Fixed potential cause of bug where defender turns his back on ball coming at him from close range instead of intercepting head on

- Fine tuned turning on ball AI

- Some small tweaks to pass choice AI

- Some fine tuning of CCC recognition

- Improved realism of which direction shots go if misdirected

- Removed "cross frequent" instruction for advanced playmakers and complete forwards

Match v921

----------

- Fixed MC playmaker not keeping up with play if set not to make forward runs

- Try to improve choice of markers at corners

- Fine tuned on ball decisions

- Fine tuned shot and pass accuracy

- Fixed short corner instructions not working

- Fixed goal award score being 0 after player rounds keeper

Match v922

----------

- Reduced illogical running with ball in advanced wide areas

Just to add my £30 worth of view points!!! I have been playing these footy management games for about 13/14 years, never really bothered with feedback on forums etc. BUT this time I am being tested!!!

I usually only buy the management games every couple of years now (because not enough changes in a one season gap for my liking!). This time I feel 'good looks' have been put at the top of the list and Match Engine (as well as other critical functions such as tactics being lost, transfer issues, contract issues etc, all part of a good old footy management game!) has been dumped near the bottom. No way, no way at all, can this game be fully tested by pro's prior to release...otherwise, the faults would have been fixed (or a large portion of them!). It's really quite poor.

Here are my ME gripes:

Defending: Hopless. I think it has been said several times, but it is comical how the defenders cant seem to behave in a realsitic manner. So bad.

Attackers: Easy, simple chances are missed galore (like the much mentioned one on ones where the ball goes everywhere except the back of the net, one goes in every so often), yet the same players can score belters from 25-30 yards...volleys, first time shots etc...looks brill, but proves my original point of looks vs. game play

Dribbling: Maybe linked to the defending issues, but seems a bit too easy to get past defenders, even for very basic attackers.

Like I said, other issues have been put on other parts of the site, and there are more niggles than ever (the latest patch caused more issues with essential gamplay than it solved!!!)

Really bad effort guys, how many more years can you get away with it?????

Im with you mate. SI need to pull their finger out, and quickly. Im not buying FM12 unless I see MAJOR improvements in the 11.3 patch, huge changes in the next installment in November.

Certainly agree with Preveza. I think SI made a mess in this 1 especially the AI defending. I just hope they dont rush the release of this patch till it thoroughly tested. Its 4 patches now, and the game match engine is quite bad. I hope they release it slowly by mid march. I know we are all impatient for the patch, but i think rushing is a very bad idea now, seeing the current state of FM 11. For the first time in 13 years of playing FM, i feel this is a very important patch.

First of all sorry for my English, i don t know if you will undrstund me... Let s see then...

I belive that tactics must change. The variety is small. This is opinion. What i mean? Football changes as the years passed. I can see some changes in football matches but i can t see them in fm.

Let s take an example. We cant seperate the positions of the players when we are in attack or when i defense. See Barca in real life. When they are in attack Busquets is the last player, Pique moves on the right side of the pitch and puyol or abidal in the left. Busquets plays as defensive mieldfielder, puyol as left stopper and Pique as right. Whith this movement the two backs, Alves on the right side and Maxwell or Abidal on the left moves forward as wingers. villa and pedro cuts inside, playing as strikers and messi has the opportunity to drop deep and play exactly in front of iniesta and xavi. This is a formation that many teams in Europe starting to employe. Also i want my team to closing down the opposition with two and three men like barca... i cant...

ok i agree but barca employes this tactic. What if i want to control Barca in fm or what if i want to at least try to play as those. I dont have the choise.... It is fair to give us the opportunity and if we fail... ok...

the thing is tho, this is a game, a game constantly in development, hopefully as programming and computers improve so will the ME but at the moment things are restricted by the technology we have, Barca play a completely unique way, no one else can match what they do, and yes at the moment you cannot replicate that, most real life football teams cannot replicate it. What your talking about is programming a very very specific way of playing football, one they will not be able to carry on forever, barca are almost like a freak of nature at the moment, as you say they dont really play defined positions, not something the game can incorporate at the moment.

You have a massive amount of choice at the moment as to how your team plays, and yes it wont be exactly like Barca, but it never will, and without being arsey your not Pep Guardiola, and that formation will take hours and hours of very specific training to achieve and a special breed of player.

Maybe i cant explain well what i am thinking... Sorry it s my English... I am anly talking about tha formation... i dont think its difficult to say to your team that when we have the ball i want my defensive mieldfielder to be the last player and the two stoopers to move right and left... i remember a previous version of FM maybe 02 or 03. In this FM or CM in tactics menu you saw the pitch. The pitch was split in sections where you could put the players wherever you like... it was something like that "with the ball" and "without bal". Do you remember it?

Thanks of trying to help me and you are in difficult position to undertund me...l

Maybe i cant explain well what i am thinking... Sorry it s my English... I am anly talking about tha formation... i dont think its difficult to say to your team that when we have the ball i want my defensive mieldfielder to be the last player and the two stoopers to move right and left... i remember a previous version of FM maybe 02 or 03. In this FM or CM in tactics menu you saw the pitch. The pitch was split in sections where you could put the players wherever you like... it was something like that "with the ball" and "without bal". Do you remember it?

Thanks of trying to help me and you are in difficult position to undertund me...l

do you mean when they used to have the arrows telling players where to run to on the tactics screen?

Its no problem at all hopefully i am being a bit helpful!

No. When you press the tactics button you see the field.Then you say where you want to put your players in the field.You have to choose to put them "when you have the ball" and " when you don t have the ball" The field was seperating in 12 section as i remember. Then you go in which section you like.Let say that you selected "With the ball" and the section that you have choose was right in the mieldfield. Then you put your players as you like.

zgiorgos means there literally was a 'With Ball' and 'Without Ball' positionally choice feature in the tactics in previous FM games.

It's a good point really, I'd like to see us be able to set two formations that'll rotate manually depending on possession. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, although making the transitions appear natural and but fast in the Match Engine might be tricky.

Definitely a feature I'd like to see attempted in FM 12 or FM 13 tho.

Also, slightly disappointed SiGames have appeared to neglect to rectify crossing in the patch. Sick and tired of seeing my wingers slam crosses into opposition full backs and out for a corner time and time, it's been like that for years now.

No. When you press the tactics button you see the field.Then you say where you want to put your players in the field.You have to choose to put them "when you have the ball" and " when you don t have the ball" The field was seperating in 12 section as i remember. Then you go in which section you like.Let say that you selected "With the ball" and the section that you have choose was right in the mieldfield. Then you put your players as you like.

to be honest i dont remember that it must have been quite a few versions ago, was it definitely FM or ChampMan? There must have been a reason this was removed, it maybe didnt work that well and they have decided it didnt add what was needed.

No he means there literally was a 'With Ball' and 'Without Ball' positionally choice feature in the tactics in previous FM games.

It's a good point really, I'd like to see us be able to set two formations that'll rotate manually depending on possession. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, although making the transitions appear natural and but fast in the Match Engine might be tricky.

Definitely a feature I'd like to see attempted in FM 12 or FM 13 tho.

I can understand why people are confused at first but I don't get why this keeps cropping up.

Your chosen formation is your defensive one (Without ball), the instructions you give shapes your attacks (with ball). No team in real life football gives a player two positions to play.

I can understand why people are confused at first but I don't get why this keeps cropping up.

Your chosen formation is your defensive one (Without ball), the instructions you give shapes your attacks (with ball). No team in real life football gives a player two positions to play.

Barca does...

Barca does...

No Barca really don't - each player has a starting position and are then given instructions.

Busquets is a DMC who is asked to hold his position when the team attacks and not make forward runs, the fullbacks are given the freedom to make lots of forward runs, the DCs hold position drifting wider to cover the channels, the attacking wingers are inside forwards cutting in looking for gaps in the defence, Xavi is your playmaker looking to set the tempo while Iniesta simply plays a supporting midfield role.

At no point is any player asked to play two positions.

to be honest i dont remember that it must have been quite a few versions ago, was it definitely FM or ChampMan? There must have been a reason this was removed, it maybe didnt work that well and they have decided it didnt add what was needed.

It didn't work as it was an inherently rigid feature, as bad as the arrows in that players would ignore play pretty much while in transition from defensive to attacking position.

No Barca really don't - each player has a starting position and are then given instructions.

Busquets is a DMC who is asked to hold his position when the team attacks and not make forward runs, the fullbacks are given the freedom to make lots of forward runs, the DCs hold position drifting wider to cover the channels, the attacking wingers are inside forwards cutting in looking for gaps in the defence, Xavi is your playmaker looking to set the tempo while Iniesta simply plays a supporting midfield role.

ok, so you think you can do it in FM?

ok, so you think you can do it in FM?

You can certain attempt quite a bit of what they do but I think we are short of a few tactical instructions/ME adjustments to fully represent their playing style.

I'm not sure but I thought a few people had a good go in the tactical forum, maybe check it out and see how they did.

You can certain attempt quite a bit of what they do but I think we are short of a few tactical instructions/ME adjustments to fully represent their playing style.

I'm not sure but I thought a few people had a good go in the tactical forum, maybe check it out and see how they did.

Ok thanks.

Messi plays as a striker, as a winger and as a playmaker.

Iniesta plays as an MC, as an AMC and sometimes as a winger.

Villa plays as a striker and as a winger.

These players play different positions during a match.

Messi plays as a striker, as a winger and as a playmaker.

Iniesta plays as an MC, as an AMC and sometimes as a winger.

Villa plays as a striker and as a winger.

These players play different positions during a match.

No they swop positions with other players during the match.

I've never seen a goalkeeper come & claim, or try to claim a crossed ball into a crowded box [from open play] on the Match Engine?

They do it from corners, but i've never seen a goalkeeper come off his line and grab the ball mid-air through a crowd of players during open play. [even with 18/19 for Aerial Ability].

I've never seen a goalkeeper come & claim, or try to claim a crossed ball into a crowded box [from open play] on the Match Engine?

They do it from corners, but i've never seen a goalkeeper come off his line and grab the ball mid-air through a crowd of players during open play. [even with 18/19 for Aerial Ability].

I've just seen this in my last match! Nacional Madeira vs Benfica! (i'm playing with benfica)

i won the game 3-2, but Nacional score first, with a high cross do the penalty area, my gk try to grab the ball, but the Nacional striker headed to the empty net.

Actually it was a really REAL goal, because my keeper is Roberto, and in real life his crap of the post! LOL

No you're wrong.

Mourinho's for instance is a high profile advocate of it, while I see what you're saying there isn't the flexibility for players to move into new positions when in attack that there is in real life.

Although I'd agree MOST teams don't and probably can't implement effectively, it's still a tactic present at the top level and in Champions League matches. It'd be sort of thing that'd require high level of understanding between players as well as a high positioning attribute.

No you're wrong.

Mourinho's for instance is a high profile advocate of it, while I see what you're saying there isn't the flexibility for players to move into new positions when in attack that there is in real life.

Although I'd agree MOST teams don't and probably can't implement effectively, it's still a tactic present at the top level and in Champions League matches. It'd be sort of thing that'd require high level of understanding between players as well as a high positioning attribute.

Does Mourinho tell his players to run to a different position ignoring everything else going on around them or is it more likely that he tells them that when in possession to work their way towards certain areas of the pitch if/when they can.

Does Mourinho tell his players to run to a different position ignoring everything else going on around them or is it more likely that he tells them that when in possession to work their way towards certain areas of the pitch if/when they can.

Isn't this a match engine thread? I come on here to see match engine info. Instead I have to wade through tons of rubbish to find any! :mad:

Yes. And they play in different positions. What's your point?

Obviously you missed it :rolleyes:

Swopping a position with another player and being asked to play in two positions just doesn't happen.

Messi isn't told when we have the ball run up front and play as a striker but when we lose the ball your a MR so run back there.

I find the weak foot ability of the players to be horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. For eg, a right footed striker, whos on the left side of the goal...when he tries to shoot, his shot is generally "straight" rather than at least being in the direction of the goal. Players arent that dumb or blind to not even see where they are shooting. And such shots are just not possible. And this happens just so often. Also, players hardly score with their weaker foots, even if its a sitter or a tap in, which is again very unrealistic. This seriously needs to be taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Paul Collyer you and your team really excelled this time. :thup: This is by far the best ME so far ever for me and my first CM/FM was CM 03/04, so I've been playing th game for years now and haven't skipped any CM/FM after the first one. It is so realistic that on moments it feels like RL TBH. Of course it's not perfect, but as I said it is the best so far ever for me. I just want to congratulate to you and to your team and to say KUTGW and I hope that ME for FM 12 will be even better. :):thup:

Glad this thread has surfaced.

My first impression in the feedback thread:

first match with the new ME, against Arsenal away: 0-0, zero clear cut chances for either team, no one-on-ones. Too early to make any proper judgements of course, but this kind of statline was basically not even possible in 11.2. The defenders seem concious about staying between the man and the goal, tackling seems to work.

Now having played a bit more, a few things have come to mind. Firstly, the amount of clear one-on-ones has gone down at least in the matches I've been involved in, though looking at AI vs AI matches the clear cut chance count is still suspiciously high. Why did you need to stop listing clear cut one-on-ones as CCC's btw? Seems like a cheap trick to artificially clean up the match stat page.

Secondly, I'd be very interested to know what the statistics are from SI's in-house soak tests on 11.3, especially the distribution of scorers. It seems too striker heavy to me. Personally I've played 13 matches now, have scored 23 goals and no-one outside of my strikers has scored a goal from open play yet. Granted, it's got to be a lot to do with my tactics as other teams manage to get their midfielders on the scoresheet occasionally but it still seems a bit imbalanced to me.

Also a thing that annoys the hell out of me is goalkeeper distribution. The only way to stop them from conceding possession time and time again by hoofing it straight at my pacey but small striker is to set them on defender collect. Yet this doesn't fully work again either when it did in 11.2. Why do they have to aim it at the shorter striker anyway? No matter what I do, whether I play the short guy deep or on the shoulder, left or right the keeper still picks him out instead of the big strong target man partnering him. Is this just a hard-coded play to stop the over-effective target man knock ons from past versions?

I don't know if this has been mentioned but the crossing in my game seems to be woeful. I like to check the analysis after losing games and i always find that maybe 20 crosses have been made by my AML and none or maybe 1 have been successful. I have tried various tactical changes and none seem to make any difference and i seem to just have to settle to telling my wingers to cross the ball rarely and try and score through other means, which i think is a bit rubbish seeing as crossing seems to be one of the main sources of scoring in British leagues.

I am in my second season with Huddersfield and am currently in the championship, i have Ross Wallace out on the left with a 16 for crossing and has very good mental stats (creativity, decision etc.) and big Jon Daly (16 for heading and strength, and 15 for jumping) in the middle in an attacking 4-5-1 formation. Even when set to crossing rarely Walllace still seems to put about 14 failed crosses iin the box. I have told him to only aim at the target man(Daly) and still with little success. As i said above i'll have to play differently now which is a shame because their no better goal in my opinion that your target man drilling a header into the net.

P.S. I have also noticed that even when setting team instructions to float crosses, my team still seems to want to drill them along the ground. Creative freedom is set to normal in my game, and i don't want to set it to little as Wallace has very good creativity stats as do a lot of my more attacking players, but surely they should be floating some of the crosses.

This is the one strange thing I've found with this year's match engine, even in 11.3. I've played 4-5-1 for three years now and the thing's gone full circle; in 9.1 and 9.2 a small lone striker could dominate by breaking the offside trap, then suddenly in 9.3 through balls became impossible but big target men came into their own, that held all the way through 10.x, but now in 11.x I go years between my lone striker even attempting a header on goal!

No you're wrong.

There is a point here... however its not a realistic point for the game. They can't even get the defensive AI to function without major WTF?! moments happening regularly.

How do you expect them to code in a system that requires even more extensive AI?

I've not played 11.3 a lot yet, but I've seen more creativity from the attacking moves then I did in 11.1 (stopped playing after 11.2).

But then you have defensive AI that does the following, watch the near post defender...

Lets have them fix AI issues like this before asking them to create a level of creativity and fluid play that's probably not possible for machine intelligence in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Please, please, please fix the throw-ins... PLEASE!!!

Never do I see players in real-life throw the ball into an area where NONE of their team-mates are (except as a sporting gesture)... on FM it happens all the time...

rarely do I see players in real-life receive the ball from a throw-in and promptly boot it straight out of play... on FM it happens 10 times a game...

never do I see players in real-life attempt to throw the ball further than they can kick it thus giving the ball away to the opposition... on FM it happens all the time...

the marking from throw-ins is crap, long flat bullet throws are crap - we NEED a set-piece editor for these AND a training schedule so the players can improve at them - the choice of receiver is crap, the decision making on receiving the ball from a throw is crap... basically, they are nothing at all like real-life and NEVER HAVE BEEN!

Fix throw-ins for FM12... PLEASE!

Ok i've now given this patch enough time, without doubt it is the worst version of the game i've had the misfortune to play. 11.2 wasn't great but this is in a different league. Never have I had so little fun playing a game. Needless to say it's now back in the box and the demo for FM 12 will have to impress me, if not the game I love truly is dead!

Is it possible to kep a clean sheet? Is it possible to score a header from a cross? Is t possible for a player to get a decent rating without an assist or goal? Is it possible for a keeper to get more than a 7? Is it possible to make defenders act like defender not like headless chickens? Is it possible for winger just to be wingers an not keep cutting inside? Is it possible not to hit the post 4-5 times a game? Is it possible for my WORLD class striker playing in League 1 to not spoon 9/10 chances when clean through? Is it possible to score 1 of my 8 ccc's when the oppo scores from their 1? Is it possible a wide man formation to work? Is it possible a 3 man defence can work? Is it possible my players can play 2 games in a week? Is it possible, just because I lose 1 game my confidence isn't shot and lose 6 more? Is it possible to get the wrong team talk and still win?

It IS possible that I could go on and on, but I won't.

Awful, awful game.

Ok i've now given this patch enough time, without doubt it is the worst version of the game i've had the misfortune to play. 11.2 wasn't great but this is in a different league. Never have I had so little fun playing a game. Needless to say it's now back in the box and the demo for FM 12 will have to impress me, if not the game I love truly is dead!

Is it possible to kep a clean sheet? Is it possible to score a header from a cross? Is t possible for a player to get a decent rating without an assist or goal? Is it possible for a keeper to get more than a 7? Is it possible to make defenders act like defender not like headless chickens? Is it possible for winger just to be wingers an not keep cutting inside? Is it possible not to hit the post 4-5 times a game? Is it possible for my WORLD class striker playing in League 1 to not spoon 9/10 chances when clean through? Is it possible to score 1 of my 8 ccc's when the oppo scores from their 1? Is it possible a wide man formation to work? Is it possible a 3 man defence can work? Is it possible my players can play 2 games in a week? Is it possible, just because I lose 1 game my confidence isn't shot and lose 6 more? Is it possible to get the wrong team talk and still win?

It IS possible that I could go on and on, but I won't.

Awful, awful game.

erm... all of that diatribe is almost 100% certainly down to your tactics and motivational skills.

erm... all of that diatribe is almost 100% certainly down to your tactics and motivational skills.

Proof....? And most of it has nothing to do with tactics (see bold) As for motivation, what piffle, you really think motivation from a manager is THAT important in real life?

You may love the game. I don't, and I normally do.

Archived