Super Bladesman's English National League System Update - Taking FM10 to Level 10

Super Bladesman

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FA Cup on first look does seem to be butchered, SB. :D But if it works then it works so why not.

Would an inc file be able to solve the competition round name changes or not?

I tried hard-wiring 6 qualifying rounds directly into the xml itself, and the game crashed. FM10 has to be thinking up the names somehow so it may be configurable.

Better a butchered FA Cup than one that doesn't involve lower league sides, to my mind. Especially as it is only really the round names obviously wrong. It should be noted that I've only added teams down to Level 9 for the FA Cup; there is room in the first qualifying round for more teams if people wanted to add Level 10 - I could just never decide on a fair way of adding them as there wasn't space for them all. Adding the extra teams would be easy enough - you'd just have to rebalance the numbers of teams entered into the opening TWO qualifying rounds so that they worked out correctly and gave the correct number of teams to go forward to round 3. You'd also have to then edit the total number of teams in the competition directly in the xml (if you change the number in the editor it will reset to 256...) - this is easy: just open the xml in notepad, press Ctrl+F to bring up the search window and type in the current number of teams. When it's found it, change it to the new number...

I've already raised this issue with SI anyway, so maybe a patch will sort us out :)

How do people feel about my butchery of the FA Cup? This was probably what I was most nervous about. It's technically correct, just the round names that are wrong (and lacking in TV matches)

Having the full competition is more important than the round names IMO - I've never objected to playing in the 'EURO Cup' after all. Looking forward to the Vase :)

Also, having teams down to lvl 9 seems suitable. At that level I think you start to get clubs who don't enter the FA Cup, and at level 10 I'm reasonably sure there are plenty who don't. It's a good carrot if you're starting at level 10 as well.

Good work :)

Few changes I've already spotted:

London Senior Cup

The round dates you've got are all Saturdays as the website says "To be played by". In reality, all but a very few ties are played midweek, so these are best switched to the relevant Tuesday:

1) 6/10/2009

2) 3/11/2009

3) 1/12/2009

QF) 5/1/2010

SF) 2/2/2010

Final - usually the Wednesday before the end of the Isthmian League season, so 21st April would be best.

All games kick off at 19:30 rather than 3pm and you're missing the 1 under 'legs' for the quarter final.

The winner of the competition gets £2k in prize money and the loser 1k (based on last season).

FA Cup

The step 3 (level 7) clubs should get a bye for an extra round - we enter in the first qualifying round in reality - the round between the 'rest' and the Blue Square North/South one.

Cheers for the London Senior Cup info, I will update that.

Do you have a link for the FA Cup info? I took my splits from a fairly reliable source for the seeding, so I'm a bit surprised if I've got something wrong there. It's an easy change, but I'd want to get it spot on.

Good work :)

Few changes I've already spotted:

London Senior Cup

The round dates you've got are all Saturdays as the website says "To be played by". In reality, all but a very few ties are played midweek, so these are best switched to the relevant Tuesday:

1) 6/10/2009

2) 3/11/2009

3) 1/12/2009

QF) 5/1/2010

SF) 2/2/2010

Final - usually the Wednesday before the end of the Isthmian League season, so 21st April would be best.

All games kick off at 19:30 rather than 3pm and you're missing the 1 under 'legs' for the quarter final.

The winner of the competition gets £2k in prize money and the loser 1k (based on last season).

FA Cup

The step 3 (level 7) clubs should get a bye for an extra round - we enter in the first qualifying round in reality - the round between the 'rest' and the Blue Square North/South one.

Cheers for the London Senior Cup info, I will update that.

Do you have a link for the FA Cup info? I took my splits from a fairly reliable source for the seeding, so I'm a bit surprised if I've got something wrong there. It's an easy change, but I'd want to get it spot on.

Here is a link to the leagues represented in each round of the FA Cup.

http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/facrbyr.htm

That should help clarify it.

C.

Here is a link to the leagues represented in each round of the FA Cup.

http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/facrbyr.htm

That should help clarify it.

C.

Should have known Tony Kempster's site would have something. Was struggling to find anything useful other than my own concrete belief that that's the stage we've entered at since the reorganisation a few years back!

SB, check this dude.

xmlerror.jpg

I initially received this error too.

When I copied the files to the necessary location I also copied over the mac folder. Go and delete the mac folder (if you are a Windows person) and it will load up with no issues :thup:

Top work Super Bladesman!

Time to start my career game in the lower reaches :D

When you say "pretty faithful recreations", what does that mean? Also, is there a way to use only level 8 from your work? I'd rather not implement any levels where promotion is not 100% accurate.

I'm curious to know what, if anything, deviates from reality at level 8 in your XML.

Should have known Tony Kempster's site would have something. Was struggling to find anything useful other than my own concrete belief that that's the stage we've entered at since the reorganisation a few years back!

Awesome - and if I read that correctly, only clubs from the top 9 levels are involved. There's a new site also by Mike Avery (I think that's his name) who is aiming to take over the non-league website mantle following the sad death of Tony Kempster.

I made these changes quite late on - only last Monday, I think, as Francis Cole kept banging on about the FA Cup so I thought I should have a go. I will look at it again and get it tidied up for the next build. Keep them coming folks - I hope to be putting out 1-2 builds a week :)

When you say "pretty faithful recreations", what does that mean? Also, is there a way to use only level 8 from your work? I'd rather not implement any levels where promotion is not 100% accurate.

I'm curious to know what, if anything, deviates from reality at level 8 in your XML.

You can edit this for your own benefit as you see fit - part of my intention was for this to be a framework for others.

I'll pop back after lunch and describe how...

Awesome - and if I read that correctly, only clubs from the top 9 levels are involved. There's a new site also by Mike Avery (I think that's his name) who is aiming to take over the non-league website mantle following the sad death of Tony Kempster.

I made these changes quite late on - only last Monday, I think, as Francis Cole kept banging on about the FA Cup so I thought I should have a go. I will look at it again and get it tidied up for the next build. Keep them coming folks - I hope to be putting out 1-2 builds a week :)

Yeah, I've been using the Mike Avery site a fair bit this season.

On the Level 9 onwards thing, Tony K's site only covered down to level 9, so don't take that as gospel. Mike Avery's site shows step 10 clubs in this season's competition - http://www.mikeavery.co.uk/FACup20104thQualifying.htm

Lol, the difference in player count is immense. With just premier league selected it is 4000 players in the database. With level 10 it is 15000! Thanks for the work though, may just stick with Regional Premier Divisions as that is where my team is :D

Good work :D

One thing I noticed straight away was the amount of teams that wear blue shirts lmao

Now, is it a case of alot of teams wear blue, or that you were not able to find enough information about these blue people?

Blue's the default colour if none is entered in the database.

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I really don't feel I have contributed much towards your baby.

However, I will say that your hard work really has been noticed throughout the testing team(especially in the editors longue).

Well cheers to all them who are creating all this stuff. all the new bits and bobs to the 3d match engine and the like I havn't been fussed about the last few years, one thing i've wanted for 4-5 years is to go right down the league structure of england and try pushing a team up..............great to see it can finally be done.

will have a deek at them logolinks and stuff see how to get them on also.

great effort guys and like mentioned above if wanting to go further maybe we could all work as a team doing bits each.

how would i go about changing the fa cup to all teams entering in the 1st round all together with random seeds?

ive tried and it comes up with an error saying "cannot find competition -1 in the database"

btw excellent achievment on making this, this will be the only change i make

thanks in advance

how would i go about changing the fa cup to all teams entering in the 1st round all together with random seeds?

ive tried and it comes up with an error saying "cannot find competition -1 in the database"

btw excellent achievment on making this, this will be the only change i make

thanks in advance

To be honest, the easiest way would be to delete the competition and then add it in again - both done via the Edit Nation Rules screen. It can take a while to add leagues to a cup though - there's a real slowdown once you've added 30 or so...

just been looking through the league pyramid and i will be either Eton Wick or Holyport in the Hellenic League Division One East who both pay as level 10 teams and are the closet teams to Slough at that level

as i want a real challenge this year

just need to finish work go to shop buy game on way home and have an all weekend session at it

And I have to commend your level of detail - didn't expect to ever see the Worcestershire Senior Urn in the game :D
I just started at the start of the Non-League Club Directory 2010 and finished at the end :D

Anything that involved the majority of clubs being from the top 10 levels, it went in :D

Apart from the Southern Combination Cup. I could never figure that one out.

hmm interesting. I've made my own Scottish league set up, which works pretty well and also a Faroes one. When I load up your file, along with the Scottish one and the Faroes, the English leagues won't work. But they work seperately, and if I take the Scottish file off, the English one works. Can't think what can be causing such a clash. I did have the Anglo Scottish cup activated, wondered if it might be that so took it out but didn't solve it. The Faroes one doesn't cause any problems at so there must be something the other two don't like about each other :/

hmm interesting. I've made my own Scottish league set up, which works pretty well and also a Faroes one. When I load up your file, along with the Scottish one and the Faroes, the English leagues won't work. But they work seperately, and if I take the Scottish file off, the English one works. Can't think what can be causing such a clash. I did have the Anglo Scottish cup activated, wondered if it might be that so took it out but didn't solve it. The Faroes one doesn't cause any problems at so there must be something the other two don't like about each other :/

Hmm, interesting indeed - they should work...

Archived