Gone Old School! - CM 03-04

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still play 03/04 every now and then. Have got a couple of great games going with FC Basel, Liverpool, and RTB Ebbw Vale in Wales.

Best players I found were: Cherno Samba, Gamst Pedersen, John Carew, and Jermaine Pennamt.

and, I'd love to get a copy of that diablo tactic, just curious how it worked.

this thread brings back some great memories. i can remember daniel fredheim holm being amazing, as someone said earlier. i've just looked around my house for it, but can't find it, and i really, really want to play it now. does anyone think that any game shops other than on the web will still stock a copy?? i really am desperate to play it lol

Was this the version where Labinot Harbuzi was a wonderkid in it? I know there was an earlier version where he was a must buy.

Ricardo Quaresma always did a good job for me too. Aghahowa, as has been mentioned, was a good buy too.

As I won't be getting FM10, I think I'll install some of the older versions and give them a try. I'm pretty sure that I've got the patches for each release backed up somewhere.

Depending on what league you are in and money you have, If you are a lower premier league team or Division 1 team, I personally always bought Jermaine Darlington from Wimbledon, could usually get him for free and he always rated over 7.50 for the season.

Other players

Cherno Samba scored buckets

Jobi McAnuff

Lionel Morgan

George Boyd

Supat Rungratsamee

Martin Drury

Danny Coid

Was it 03-04 when lots of the lower league clubs had amazing players??? I remember Mark Smith of Bristol Rovers went on to be one of the best centre halfs in the game. The other one at Bristol Rovers was Jellyman. Just thought of Dean Keates too but cant remember which club he was at!

I want to say Wallsall....

Without ANY doubt whatsoever, Fredy William Thompson of Guatemala. An absolute must.

Mark Kerr from Scotland too. Awesome central midfielder.

Julius Aghahowa was a beast on that version of the game too. As was Daniel Braaten and Kim Kallstrom.

But the secret weapon is...

Jose Julian De La Cuesta!

Sign all them and you'll be winning the Champions League on a budget xD

Got to love Fredy William and Jose Julian, I believe these were a mainstay in my Millwall team.

Like to mention, providing you add the guatelmalan players on set up you can usually build an amazing first 11 of guatemalan's in nearly every champ man/fm.

Serge Makofo!

He was just insane to watch in the new 2D pitch, taking on teams by himself and scoring the sickest individual efforts against world class opponents from the age of 16.

Come to think of it, this was perhaps in CM4?

Boy was a genius, although depending on which leagues were active he'd be a different position. Was my stand out player as a striker, a right back and a DM in different games.

Supat Rungratsemee has to be mentioned as a star also.

The reason why people loved 0304 so much is that is was SOOO easy.. I remember taking on Halifax and getting promoted every season and even reaching top6 in my first season in EPL :) It was simply too easy.. but great fun, no doubt :) I also tried to install and play at couple of weeks ago.. But NO WAY am I going to play it again.. simply too old :D

Orri Freyr Oskarsson. In terms of CA nothing near world class, but his attributes perfectly exploited the flaws in the match engine.

Didn't he have a friend at the same club? (I think thats the same player I had at Carlise (yes its bad but barrow werent on that version) and he scored lots of goals).

The reason why people loved 0304 so much is that is was SOOO easy.. I remember taking on Halifax and getting promoted every season and even reaching top6 in my first season in EPL :) It was simply too easy.. but great fun, no doubt :) I also tried to install and play at couple of weeks ago.. But NO WAY am I going to play it again.. simply too old :D

Nah, imo, the silliest version of CM/FM was CM 00/01 (the unpatched version when you could get players like Rebov and Warhurst playing for Barnet in the Third Division (in the second season) on frees!!) ((sorry for double posting))

Ah, CM03-04, my introduction to the world of FM/CM

Off the top of my head:

Radamel Falcao Garcia, Hamed Yahiaoui, James McEveley, Anthony Le Tallec (no, seriously), Jose Julian de la Cuesta, Javier Mascherano (not really a hidden gem these days, but was back then).

Also honourable mentions for Mancini (was a winger for Inter IRL last time I checked, last season, actually worked best for me as a right-back in that game!), Maik Franz (German defender), and Sarr (Senegalese defender)

• 9 months later...
Bit sick of FM 09 now and decided to dig out CM 03-04 which imo is the best, love it myself!

Since it's been so long since I last played it I have forgotten the 'gems' of the game, can anyone remember any players that re must buys?

I'm Arsenal.

Thanks.

thats not old skool, everyone knows the best champ manager of all time is cm 01-02!!

Without ANY doubt whatsoever, Fredy William Thompson of Guatemala. An absolute must.

Mark Kerr from Scotland too. Awesome central midfielder.

Julius Aghahowa was a beast on that version of the game too. As was Daniel Braaten and Kim Kallstrom.

But the secret weapon is...

Jose Julian De La Cuesta!

Sign all them and you'll be winning the Champions League on a budget xD

Mark Kerr scored 10 goals for me on his debut. That was absolute class !!

Athirson was also a great player.

Wael Reyad, best dribbler of a ball in any version of CM/FM, on CM4 he was a god.

There was also a wonder dribbler who was only 17 years of age who played for a Norwegian side (forget his name for the moment), dribbling and flair of 20. His other stats were crap, but he could win games all on his own no matter what the opposition.

Thats one of the biggest disappointments on FM2010 for me, no going round keeper etc, mainly just dribbling down an unprotected flank. CM4 had players like Wael and that Norwegian kid often going around 3-4 men before scoring.

As for defenders, there wasn't a better one in the whole game than the Estonian guy at Valerenga who was on loan from Flora.

Only disappointment I ever had with CM4 was that the game would auto crash if the ME worked out you were going to score more than 19 goals. I twice had 18-0 wins, and once, a 19-1.

There was also a guy available as a free at start of 1st season, a 27 yr old Senegalese D/M/F L, didn't score a wondrous amount, but what made him so special was his corner taking and general assisting (if you put him as a off centre striker), I have had him make more than 150 assists in a season.

With Todorov challenging goalie for every corner that this guy crossed for, you expected a goal each time the match highlight gave you a corner.

cm 01/02 is best of all time, still play it today just as much as i play fm 2010.. theres a site dedicated to keeping the game alive for cm 01/02 with 1000's of members so im pretty sure many people still play it, this sites offers data updates every transfer window, stadium backgrounds, player pictures, competition logo's, colour attributes, tactics etc.. sure alot of people on here kno of the sites, the one run by Mark.. its now avaliable as a free download jus google it and burn it too a blank cd

• 3 years later...

I've been trying to get CM 03/04 to run properly on a modern machine for ages. It installs fine and starts up fine, but the game itself is slow as hell. Just clicking continue takes ages and the match engine is awfully slow. I run it in Windows XP via VMWare Fusion on a 2010 MacBook Pro 15", so hardware shouldn't be a problem. Tips anyone? Much appreciated...

You better off using Champ Manager 01/02 with Speed Hack which take 1 Hour and 45 Mins a Season

You may ask what is Speed Hack?

I think it called TapaniPatch 2.19 and you can ask the guys in http://www.champman0102.co.uk/

I have managed get my Crappy Portgual Team called Navel to Champ League Final but lost against Barcelona :(

I will have do better next time :)

Enjoy it :)

This was the original champ manager 3, mark smith was amazing, but also jamie shore & trevor challis from bristol rovers too. Dean keates was indeed awesome, im thinking rightly or wrongly walsall in that game? I did love CM3 but having gone back to it not so long ago it does feel a little 'dated' nowadays....

He was at Hull on CM 03/04. Keates was a great player who stayed with me when I took The Tigers to the EPL.

The other standout players for me included Michael Appleton (when free from injury) and Richard Witschge.

I can't remember if I signed him on that game or on a couple of years before; but I definitely remember Jonas Wallerstedt from Norrkoping - Goal Machine.

• 4 years later...

All the Championship Manager titles now belong to Eidos, but a quick look on Google shows a number of download sites where the game is available.  I cant guarantee how reliable these sites are as I have never used them before.

• 1 year later...

Archived