Match 29: Cameroon vs Serbia: 10am kick-off UK time, Al Janoub Stadium

The_jagster

Thought I'd get a thread up now as I'm going to do some exercise before the first game.

654384014_CamSerb.png.88a61807c2e2ff23b7978cccf0b89aef.png

Fio9I6FWIAENd-z.thumb.jpg.6bebdbb2127fd7e088a8d9b07dcc1ca2.jpg

Fio2pGRXgAI4Hjw.jpg.86bbd881e91d5ccf501b5312669b6551.jpg

Results so far:

Cameroon lost to Switzerland, Serbia lost to Brazil. Cameroon surely need to win, I suspect Serbia would take the draw and hope for a playoff with the Swiss if it's still level late on.

Any World Cup history?

Serbia: That depends on how much you consider this country to be the continuation of Yugoslavia (FIFA do). Yugoslavia finished 4th in 1962 and were regular quarter finalists; this century they are yet to get out of the groups.

Cameroon: Famously beat Argentina in 1990 and gave England problems in the quarter finals where they lost 3-2. In the five tournaments they've qualified for since then, they have beaten only Saudi Arabia and are on an 8 game losing streak at the World Cup.

Past meetings?

A 2010 friendly which Serbia won 4-3. Choupo-Moting scored that day, I'd be shocked if this isn't brought up in commentary.

How did they get here?

Serbia beat Portugal away on the last day to win their group; Cameroon won their group with Cote D'Ivoire, Mozambique and Malawi and then beat Algeria on away goals.

Want some music?

The original Waka Waka was by a Cameroonian group

Edited by The_jagster

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since he took the wrong pills whilst being at Ajax, Onana has been a walking disciplinary disaster. You'd think the fame got to his head. 

Edited by DJ

Bring back Jacques Songo'o :mad:

or Charles Itandje :lol:

Serbia not in great shape at the back either. Milenkovic looked quite solid against Brazil (as he always is on FM) and Vanja was brilliant in goal, but Pavlovic was rash and erratic. Looks like a weak link that Mbeumo can exploit.

Think this'll be a draw.

Serbia looked good physically against Brazil but slow once it was forward, and their left centre back looked technically a level below.

But Cameroon aren't great and maybe Kostic will give them some drive, he looked good for Frankfurt.

23 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Serbia should be quite comfortable here. They looked good in patches against Brazil, and Cameroon being hopeless is fast becoming a WC staple.

ITV showed a rerun of England - Cameroon this morning, they weren't hopeless then :D

Brought back some terrible memories :cool:

Serbia in a similar position to Germany yesterday tbh. If Brazil win all three games then the group can finish 9-3-3-3 and Serbia can still get through on GD if they beat Switzerland.

Whereas if Cameroon lose, the only way they get through with three points is if they beat Brazil and have Switzerland beat them too.

Just now, PaulHartman71 said:
Covered earlier but this is a crazy situation :D 

Guessing he’s been told to not play out like that but just refused then the manager is fair enough for making a big call. Can’t have a player not following tactical instructions. 

I didn't pay close attention to that match, but I don't remember any of those passes or wanderings away from the goal being dangerous.

It was mostly at the end of the match when Switzerland defended and he stepped up.

Something else must've happened and this is just an excuse.