FM23 on Mac

6 hours ago, srvngrc said:

7 Core M1 GPU is not too behind from 8 core. There is about %10 difference between them.
I can play FM with 3D matches on my iPhone. So, M1 shouldn’t be struggle this much. 
Btw which version of MacOS are you running?

There's bugger all difference mate - could you have dust ingress?

Yep it should work fine. My point was that its not the most demanding game.

I am running Ventura 13.0.1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Zapoleon said:

Have you tried low-power mode? Does hinder performance but can reduce heat problems.

I think the main issue is just poor optimization though. There are some bug reports about insane CPU usage on other systems. 

I think you're right, needs to be optimised for the system properly and he'd be fine running it on that.

all versions of FM lagging for me, there’s a pending update but hesitant to do it given the size of them. Is doing the mac update the only thing that will stop random crashes in games (even though there’s no crash message after) or is there an alternative fix anyone knows of?

21 saat önce, John Joe O'toole said:

There's bugger all difference mate - could you have dust ingress?

Yep it should work fine. My point was that its not the most demanding game.

I am running Ventura 13.0.1

Maybe Ventura is better than Monterey for FM. I’ll try it.

Hello everyone,

I have a problem since I upgraded my Mac to OS Ventura. I can't choose my data folder in Preferences  (on an external hard drive)

First, you can see that in the game preferences it reads the external hard drive (Elements) but not the folders inside. In the second image, you can see, on Finder, that the folder is in fact inside the external hard drive.

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling FM23.

Thanks in advance.

Captura de pantalla.jpg

Captura de pantalla 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 16:54, finley4520 said:

Hey everyone, I need a bit of help, can anyone recommend what settings they use for the graphics on an Apple M1 ? The beta was running fine then I upgraded the IOS , and since then it’s been running like garbage. Jerky animations etc. any help would be much appreciated. I’ve tried everything on low and it was still jerky. Honestly it’s so frustrating having to mess around considering it should run perfectly. Thanks in advance 

Hi! I have the same problem with my iMac i5 (on Macbook M1 everything looks good). During beta it was better than FM22, but after the last update I can't run 2d games...

Is there already any solution?

My MacBook Air M1 2020 (macOS Ventura 13.0.1.) is also getting very hot (around 90 degrees) despite I am playing on the lowest possible graphic settings and I am also using the 2d mode.

Furthermore the game just quits sometimes (there is no bug report or something possible). The game just quitting without any notification. Furthermore there are a lot of frame drops in the menu.

Is there still a thread for technical issues for the Mac? I can not find the old one.

Thanks for your support!

Edited by Thaerres

14 hours ago, Thaerres said:

My MacBook Air M1 2020 (macOS Ventura 13.0.1.) is also getting very hot (around 90 degrees) despite I am playing on the lowest possible graphic settings and I am also using the 2d mode.

Furthermore the game just quits sometimes (there is no bug report or something possible). The game just quitting without any notification. Furthermore there are a lot of frame drops in the menu.

Is there still a thread for technical issues for the Mac? I can not find the old one.

Thanks for your support!

No real solution, others have reported the same kinda issue. SI comments just suggest lowering graphics and getting a cooling pad etc. 

15 hours ago, Thaerres said:

Thanks for your support!

I hope these optimisation issues are fixed with a patch. 

I have the same model Mac book air as you and I play 3D high. Do you have the 7core or 8core GPU 

On 29/11/2022 at 05:48, Thaerres said:

Thanks for your support!

I get the quitting thing as well. Does the match engine lag and freeze a bit for you, even when playing on 2d? 

Am 29.11.2022 um 22:29 schrieb John Joe O'toole:

I hope these optimisation issues are fixed with a patch. 

I have the same model Mac book air as you and I play 3D high. Do you have the 7core or 8core GPU 

I have the 7core GPU.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb BoxToBoxFM:

I get the quitting thing as well. Does the match engine lag and freeze a bit for you, even when playing on 2d? 

The quitting happened so far just randomly during the simulation of the week. So far it did not happen during a match.

As I can remember there was a quick freeze before the quitting and then fm was just closed :D

5 minutes ago, EdL said:

As of the patch just released we have native arm64/apple sillicon builds so anyone with a m1/2 mac worth trying again

Does that mean FM23 can be run without Rosetta?

Does it need to re-install?

• SI Staff

Its all relative to which system you have and what exactly you are doing but from my tests for running the full match simulation

Average time to play a match on an M1 mac mini

arm64: 1.594s 
x86_64 (Rosetta): 2.111s 

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, we88y said:

Is there a way to turn off the scaling so it doesn't hide the notch and give black bars on either side of the screen. I wanted native apple silicon but not trading screen space for it..

I'm not sure but anyway its not related to the apple sillicon change

34 minutes ago, EdL said:

I'm not sure but anyway its not related to the apple sillicon change

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212842

Please read at the bottom of that article. It seems FM23 has updated its display settings to be better optimised for Mac however now I have half an inch of space missing on all sides of my screen. I now have 12.5" rather than 14" space to play the game meaning everything is now much smaller.

Is there a way to go back to the previous update because I'd rather play with that than use this new letterbox mode.

3 hours ago, we88y said:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212842

Please read at the bottom of that article. It seems FM23 has updated its display settings to be better optimised for Mac however now I have half an inch of space missing on all sides of my screen. I now have 12.5" rather than 14" space to play the game meaning everything is now much smaller.

Is there a way to go back to the previous update because I'd rather play with that than use this new letterbox mode.

What OS are you on? On Monterey it looks okay to me 

DEC1B82E-B691-412D-98B6-3F7F009E03D5.jpeg

29 minutes ago, FourFourRED said:

What OS are you on? On Monterey it looks okay to me 

I’m on Ventura but I’d updated weeks ago and it’s been fine. It feels like a 15 year old laptop now! No resolutions work as the game is recognising there is a notch and cropping accordingly now.

68D81FAB-A7D6-4DC9-8E84-8F256041B12F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1.12.2022 at 20:39, EdL said:

As of the patch just released we have native arm64/apple sillicon builds so anyone with a m1/2 mac worth trying again

It’s still running hot. Nearly 100 celsius on 7 Core gpu 16GB RAM M1 Air with recommended graphic settings. I think there is an optimisation problem with 7 Core gpu. Please check and fix this.

Honestly, the black border issue is stopping me from playing this game. My support request hasn't been replied to either since the 5th of December.

Not enough has been made of the fact that users with a 14"/16" MacBook now have to effectively use an incorrect resolution that is over an inch smaller than the screen size.

55 minutes ago, we88y said:

Honestly, the black border issue is stopping me from playing this game. My support request hasn't been replied to either since the 5th of December.

Not enough has been made of the fact that users with a 14"/16" MacBook now have to effectively use an incorrect resolution that is over an inch smaller than the screen size.

I didnt notice it on previous Mac but now on my M2 Air I'm noticing it. Has there been any solution offered?

20 minutes ago, ftblmanager said:

I didnt notice it on previous Mac but now on my M2 Air I'm noticing it. Has there been any solution offered?

Nothing. Support hasn't replied to me in over a week either.

It appears to be that the FM23 app now working natively with apple silicon has been activated to avoid the notch without actually testing what that would do.. It's called 'scale to fit'by apple I think. FM22 still works fine so I'd assume it's not the OS and it's more the way the new app works with the OS.

If you download a resolution app called EasyRes you can at least change it to go to the sides but not the top and you have to do it every single time you want to play the game..

Edited by we88y

Got an m1 max 32gb recently. Was thinking about getting FM 2023 but going by this thread there appears to still be a lot of issues, even with native apple processor Support?
I usually like to run at least 5/6 leagues with a fairly large DB size, if the game is going crash and quit all the time while I'm running it I don't think i'll bother.

23 minutes ago, into_the_wild said:

Got an m1 max 32gb recently. Was thinking about getting FM 2023 but going by this thread there appears to still be a lot of issues, even with native apple processor Support?
I usually like to run at least 5/6 leagues with a fairly large DB size, if the game is going crash and quit all the time while I'm running it I don't think i'll bother.

I've had zero problems on my M1 base Mac Air.  So it's not everyone.  It will easily do twice the number of leagues you mention.

Try the demo.  With native support it is now one of the fastest ways to play FM.

On 13/12/2022 at 15:42, into_the_wild said:

Wow, you must have an intensive workflow to need a Max w/ 32GB!

But yeah, FM will run like butter with a lot more leagues than you're looking for and large DB.

I play on my M1 Air (16GB) with 13 nations and ~30ish divisions on a large DB and it's pretty nippy.

Still having crashing issues on my 2020 OS Monterey laptop making the game difficult to play as it can freeze then crash in the middle of any match, was going to update to the 13.1 Ventura update, but by reading this last page in this thread should I not bother? To me the black box doesn’t look too bad. There’s already a centimetre of black box around the side of my mac which I’ve hardly ever noticed to be honest as it’s always been like that, but some are saying it’s making the game unplayable. Pretty sure it’s the drivers that need updating to stop the game crashing so was hoping that would be fixed in the new update. image.thumb.jpg.40d0850e294a6c909405216d13e83816.jpg

my camera doesn’t interfere with screen size on my mac like some I’ve seen in this thread, maybe as it’s an older mac but the camera is in the top black row so maybe it won’t make a difference? 

On 13/12/2022 at 14:19, we88y said:

Same here on my 14" MacBook Pro with the notch. Not only does it take away usable space from Football Manager, when you minimise the game, the rest of macOS has been resized too and every other app is affected. Please acknowledge this as an issue and fix it as soon as possible.

Edited by FourFourRED

Any updates from SI regarding the graphics issues? I feel like the issue could be with the compatibility between Fm23 and Ventura?

I am currently trying to run FM23 on an i9 8-core with 32gb ram and AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB running the latest version of Ventura and the game runs fine (and quick) for about 5 mins, then really slows down and needs to be restarted. Some of the 3D match engine highlights run fine, while others are jumpy and slow. I am running the game in windowed mode, with medium graphics, except for shadows are set to low.

UPDATE: So I have played around a little and I have got the game to work smoothly. I have the crowd on low, shadows off and I have my laptop sitting on an icepack with a tea towel wrapped around it and there are no issues. The GPU temperature in celsius is sitting at around 70 - 90 degrees. I also notice a significant performance difference with Safari (and other Apps) closed. 

I have 34 leagues running with a database of 65,000 players.

Edited by mikaelaustin

• Administrators

This is something we are looking at. For FM23 the game has moved from emulated Intel support to silicon support, so there has been a fair amount of investigation and work on the Mac side specifically for this version and for the most recent update. 

Would suggest if you have any issue related to performance to raise your own thread here so our team can investigate further - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/match-engine-art-animations-facegen-manager-creator-and-sounds/

Thanks. 

14 hours ago, mikaelaustin said:

UPDATE: So I have played around a little and I have got the game to work smoothly. I have the crowd on low, shadows off and I have my laptop sitting on an icepack with a tea towel wrapped around it and there are no issues. 

Please don't use an icepack!  It will cause moisture to form and could kill your laptop

7 hours ago, metal_guitarist said:

Yeah please don't put your laptop on an icepack. Use a cooling pad from a reputable brand. You could try turning the crowd off completely as well, will make a difference. 

Do you happen to know the best cooling pad for a MacBook Pro 16"? Most of the ones I've looked at on Amazon look like trash. 

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TheGoodRebel said:

What RAM and SSD do you have with that mate? I’m wanting to upgrade to the M2 but want to know if the 8gb version will be enough

My M1 MacBook Pro with 8gb ram is great for fm, so the M2 can only improve things.

I would upgrade the ram if you have the cash, I wish I did on mine. However that’s more for other stuff not FM

When I play Football Manager 23 in full-screen mode on an external monitor, the menu bar on my other display disappears.
The options in the system preferences for the menu bar do not resolve this issue.
Can you please provide a solution to fix this problem, or consider fixing it in the next update?

IMG_6414.thumb.jpg.1a1367e5528f581f1d8bb5a035c89032.jpg

Edited by dosh

000483_0205.thumb.png.0c599593f2f9466715d9fe03f11103c0.png

There are three keyboard shortcuts currently available to adjust the match speed, but I feel that the range is too large and not useful.

I would be grateful if the range of change could be improved, allowing me to make smaller adjustments using the keyboard, just as it can be done by clicking on the speed bar with a mouse.

On 29/01/2023 at 00:50, TheGoodRebel said:

What RAM and SSD do you have with that mate? I’m wanting to upgrade to the M2 but want to know if the 8gb version will be enough

Go for more RAM and go to the M1 processor.

On 29/01/2023 at 11:27, craiigman said:

My M1 MacBook Pro with 8gb ram is great for fm, so the M2 can only improve things.

I would upgrade the ram if you have the cash, I wish I did on mine. However that’s more for other stuff not FM

Yes - once you buy a Mac you're stuck with what you buy - there's no way to upgrade components, SSD, RAM - like you can in some (most) PC Laptops.

The M2 processor is not a significant upgrade in processor power.

So the best option is to go for the M1 and get a minimum of 16gb of RAM.

The screens are tiny - only 13.6 inches or something. Really small screens.

Macbook Air M1 with 512gb Storage + 16gb RAM = €1,689.00

Macbook Air M2 with 512 gb Storage + 16gb RAM = €2,109.00

The only difference being M2 chip - and the gains are not enough for any noticeable difference for FM.

You can see this on the Benchmark Spreadsheet run by @Brother Ben

You can actually save yourself €420 by going M1 chip instead (for the Macbook Air)
But of course if you can afford the M2 by all means go for it.

If you want a larger screen you'll have to stump up for the Mac Book Pro.

For me - the 16 inch screen is probably the best for FM.

But as you can imagine - the price goes up by screen size - massively goes up.

The 13 inch MacBook Pro only comes with M2 chip

512gb Storage + 16gb RAM you're looking at €2,089.00

*edit* wait what? This is cheaper than the M2 MacBook Air??? 
Is that right can anyone else confirm this?

14 inch Macbook Pro 

Starts at €2,499.00

512gb Storage + 16gb RAM up to €3,799.00 for basic model of the best processor

16 Inch Macbook Pro 

Starts at €3,099.00

512gb Storage + 16gb RAM for the basic model.

---------------------

It all depends on budget - if you can afford it - get the best that you can possibly afford in this order
Best Processor
RAM minimum 16gb.
512gb storage (but aim for 1tb)

This is the best way to futureproof your device for longevity.

As it's a lot of money to spend on a product. You should be aiming for at least 6 years and maximum 10 years usage.

I'm not a fan of Apples pricing system. I think it's very expensive when getting a bit more RAM or more storage space.
But if you can afford it - get it.

Edited by Smurf

Hey guys wondering if I could get some advice. Looking to purchase FM23 but I'm a little worried about my specs.. I've been able to run every other FM absolutely fine but just want to be double sure.

Its an Old Macbook Air from 2014

1.4GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5

4GB 1609 MHz DDR

I don't watch matches in 3D or anything like that and like I said, every other version has ran absolutely fine but just want to make sure. Thanks :)

2 hours ago, ScraicMate said:

Hey guys wondering if I could get some advice. Looking to purchase FM23 but I'm a little worried about my specs.. I've been able to run every other FM absolutely fine but just want to be double sure.

Its an Old Macbook Air from 2014

1.4GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5

4GB 1609 MHz DDR

I don't watch matches in 3D or anything like that and like I said, every other version has ran absolutely fine but just want to make sure. Thanks :)

I'm not 100% but I think it depends on the OS version