FM23 on Mac

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/11/2022 at 09:36, kevhamster said:

You don't need the M1, it will still run on the old Intel models.  But MacOS 11 or higher is essential.

Hi mate I’ve managed to upgrade to iOS 12 so with those specs on my mac will it work. Sorry I am hopeless with these things don’t want to buy it for it not to work.

3 hours ago, MPeckham95 said:

Hi mate I’ve managed to upgrade to iOS 12 so with those specs on my mac will it work. Sorry I am hopeless with these things don’t want to buy it for it not to work.

Yes, it'll run.  It's not going to be massively quick, but it'll run.

If you've played FM21 or 22, the performance should be broadly similar based on my own experience of playing FM23.

On 06/11/2022 at 20:46, kevhamster said:

Yes, it'll run.  It's not going to be massively quick, but it'll run.

If you've played FM21 or 22, the performance should be broadly similar based on my own experience of playing FM23.

I've seen a massive performance drop from FM22 to FM23. 3 star graphic performance on FM22 to 1 star on FM23. (macbook pro i7 2019 with 16gb ram).

Not sure if thats just the situation now or whether FM23 isn't picking up the dedicated GPU in the MBP.

7 minutes ago, don coop said:

I've seen a massive performance drop from FM22 to FM23. 3 star graphic performance on FM22 to 1 star on FM23. (macbook pro i7 2019 with 16gb ram).

Not sure if thats just the situation now or whether FM23 isn't picking up the dedicated GPU in the MBP.

Fair enough. I can only go by how I've found it on my PC. The FM23 benchmarking thread should be interesting. 

36 minutes ago, don coop said:

Do you mean just predicted graphical performance? or when playing do you actually notice a big drop-off compared to last year? 

1 hour ago, Zapoleon said:

Do you mean just predicted graphical performance? or when playing do you actually notice a big drop-off compared to last year? 

It's the predicted thing football manager does when you go into settings. So it recommends low. but it plays like garbage. Stuttering and just really poor. 

Which is why I thought I'd mention. See whether it's just me seeing FM majorly reduce performance across versions

Based on what I read here I guessed a 2016 MacBook Pro with a 2,9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB ram, running macOS Monterey would be sufficient to run FM23.

However I keep getting a manifest unavailable or no internet connection in Steam while trying to download/start FM23. Already emptied download cache, changed download region and reinstalled Steam, but no result.

Did I make a mistake in assuming it would run or do others have this Steam issue as well when trying to run it?

****, I can't play Fm23... 

Even if my macbook pro from 2011 is still OK with the minimum requirements, I can't install the OS that it requires. I can only have until Sierra or something like that. 

However I read that macOS 10.13 required OpenGL 2,1. This is the same as per Fm21, that I managed to play, even if a bit slow and overheating. Basically I needed to just play fm and not many open chrome pages. 

Anyone can inform if this macOS 10.13 required OpenGL 2,1 is actually enough? Rather than the 11?

4 minutos atrás, HS10 disse:

****, I can't play Fm23... 

Even if my macbook pro from 2011 is still OK with the minimum requirements, I can't install the OS that it requires. I can only have until Sierra or something like that. 

However I read that macOS 10.13 required OpenGL 2,1. This is the same as per Fm21, that I managed to play, even if a bit slow and overheating. Basically I needed to just play fm and not many open chrome pages. 

Anyone can inform if this macOS 10.13 required OpenGL 2,1 is actually enough? Rather than the 11?

I'll install the demo tomorrow, that way I'll know for sure if it works before buying the game. 

Hey everyone, I need a bit of help, can anyone recommend what settings they use for the graphics on an Apple M1 ? The beta was running fine then I upgraded the IOS , and since then it’s been running like garbage. Jerky animations etc. any help would be much appreciated. I’ve tried everything on low and it was still jerky. Honestly it’s so frustrating having to mess around considering it should run perfectly. Thanks in advance 

5 hours ago, finley4520 said:

Hey everyone, I need a bit of help, can anyone recommend what settings they use for the graphics on an Apple M1 ? The beta was running fine then I upgraded the IOS , and since then it’s been running like garbage. Jerky animations etc. any help would be much appreciated. I’ve tried everything on low and it was still jerky. Honestly it’s so frustrating having to mess around considering it should run perfectly. Thanks in advance 

Have seen other people report such problems after updating the OS. I think basically people will have to wait for a patch from Si to fix and improve performance. 

You can always report your problems on the bug tracker if u wish. So they can see it. 

Edited by Zapoleon

6 hours ago, finley4520 said:

See if it runs ok running in Rosetta.

Find the app in your Applications folder.
Select the app, and then press Command-I (or right-click/use the File menu and select Get Info.). ...
In the Info window, look for a checkbox labeled, “Open using Rosetta”. ...
Close the Info window.
If you're already running the app, quit and relaunch.

First a disclaimer.  I am no good at the techie side of computers.

What I don't understand is why SI have to render my iMac virtually useless from one iteration to another.  Graphics ran fine on FM22, but now I have a 1* rating.   Now I know the answer will be 'it's your computer, but on the face of it the graphics for FM23 look the same to me - so why the difference, surely it is in SI's interest to maximise the number of potential users there are?

14 hours ago, MarcelTC said:

Based on what I read here I guessed a 2016 MacBook Pro with a 2,9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB ram, running macOS Monterey would be sufficient to run FM23.

However I keep getting a manifest unavailable or no internet connection in Steam while trying to download/start FM23. Already emptied download cache, changed download region and reinstalled Steam, but no result.

Did I make a mistake in assuming it would run or do others have this Steam issue as well when trying to run it?

Can't answer the second part of the question, but spec wise it should be ok as it's a recent enough version of the OS.

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

See if it runs ok running in Rosetta.

Find the app in your Applications folder.
Select the app, and then press Command-I (or right-click/use the File menu and select Get Info.). ...
In the Info window, look for a checkbox labeled, “Open using Rosetta”. ...
Close the Info window.
If you're already running the app, quit and relaunch.

Thanks for the reply @Smurf but I don’t have that check box when I follow your instructions , is there another work around to this ? Thanks again !

Em 10/11/2022 em 22:44, HS10 disse:

I'll install the demo tomorrow, that way I'll know for sure if it works before buying the game. 

OK guys, so I installed the demo and the game doesn't even open when using the epic games launcher. 

As mentioned I have a macbook pro from 2011,can play fm22 easily. But the demo simply doesn't open, but also doesn't give any error. Anyone having similar issue? 

If my laptop couldn't run the game I should receive some kind of notification saying why not right? 

5 minutes ago, HS10 said:

OK guys, so I installed the demo and the game doesn't even open when using the epic games launcher. 

As mentioned I have a macbook pro from 2011,can play fm22 easily. But the demo simply doesn't open, but also doesn't give any error. Anyone having similar issue? 

If my laptop couldn't run the game I should receive some kind of notification saying why not right? 

As has been told earlier the game requires MacOS 11 to work.

5 minutos atrás, XaW disse:

As has been told earlier the game requires MacOS 11 to work.

In here says this:

https://www.fmscout.com/a-football-manager-2023-system-requirements.html

macOS 10.14 and later requires Metal API: Version 1; macOS 10.13 and earlier requires OpenGL: Version 2.1

That's why I'm asking. 

If not for the first time in many years I'll skip fm. 

2 minutes ago, HS10 said:

In here says this:

macOS 10.14 and later requires Metal API: Version 1; macOS 10.13 and earlier requires OpenGL: Version 2.1

That's why I'm asking. 

No clue what fmscout writes or where they get their info, but the Steam page says OS 11:

image.png.ec87370ee63ae7ff5115ecf689a79887.png

My mac is struggling massively with FM23. Not that old, got it 2019 or 2020 (at the start of the pandemic) and even on 2D the match is freezing for me, except the game is still playing and I have to tab out and back in for it to catch up. Very jittery as well. I’ve gone back to FM21 for now and will try a match again in a few days, if it’s still a problem I may have to refund. 

1 hour ago, BoxToBoxFM said:

My mac is struggling massively with FM23. Not that old, got it 2019 or 2020 (at the start of the pandemic) and even on 2D the match is freezing for me, except the game is still playing and I have to tab out and back in for it to catch up. Very jittery as well. I’ve gone back to FM21 for now and will try a match again in a few days, if it’s still a problem I may have to refund. 

10 minutes ago, srvngrc said:

My MacBook Air M1 getting too hot. Even  I’m using 2D match engine the GPU temperature getting close to 90 celcius. Need a quick fix.

What version of Mac OS are you running? Historically if I have upgraded to a brand new Mac OS after a new version of FM is released it's always a game killer. 
I'm running FM23 on a MacBook Air M2 and it runs better than any laptop I have ever owned - 20 leagues, 15 countries, 70,000 players, high graphics, no lag, no heat, very smooth graphic engine, very rapid at moving through the game days, and you get about 8 hours of battery. But crucially I have stuck with Monterey as I have been bitten by this before. Are you running Ventura? If so, that'll be the issue. SI support for brand new versions of Mac OS is usually a bit behind the curve. Your M1 should run the game very well on Monterey.

5 minutes ago, Ajax_Barcelona_Cruyff said:

What version of Mac OS are you running? Historically if I have upgraded to a brand new Mac OS after a new version of FM is released it's always a game killer. 
I'm running FM23 on a MacBook Air M2 and it runs better than any laptop I have ever owned - 20 leagues, 15 countries, 70,000 players, high graphics, no lag, no heat, very smooth graphic engine, very rapid at moving through the game days, and you get about 8 hours of battery. But crucially I have stuck with Monterey as I have been bitten by this before. Are you running Ventura? If so, that'll be the issue. SI support for brand new versions of Mac OS is usually a bit behind the curve. Your M1 should run the game very well on Monterey.

Second this for the M2 Macbook Air, upgraded from a 2018 Intel Mac Mini and 2015 Macbook Pro and am astounded what I've been missing out on. Currently on Ventura running around 150k players and all fine for me.

Edited by Firthy49

5 hours ago, srvngrc said:

My MacBook Air M1 getting too hot. Even  I’m using 2D match engine the GPU temperature getting close to 90 celcius. Need a quick fix.

How are you finding out the temp?

My M1 AIR Seems to of got hotter since the last FM as well, I think its Ventura like another poster has stated.

12 saat önce, Ajax_Barcelona_Cruyff said:

I’m also running Monterey. I started with about 20 leagues from 15 countries. There are 40k players in the database. High graphics settings are recommended by the game, but I still use medium graphics settings. Game runs smooth but too hot when watching matches. Not much has changed in the 2D either.

Edited by srvngrc

7 saat önce, John Joe O'toole said:

How are you finding out the temp?

My M1 AIR Seems to of got hotter since the last FM as well, I think its Ventura like another poster has stated.

With macs fan control.
Btw I’m still running Monterey.

On 12/11/2022 at 22:27, HS10 said:

In here says this:

That's why I'm asking. 

Screenshot from FMScout:

image.png.4b1ab74c98796d7e279311ec585e1734.png

Clearly states MacOS 11 or newer.  Could be they just copy and pasted FM22's specs at first and have since updated them, but they're definitely correct now.

On 13/11/2022 at 15:26, BoxToBoxFM said:

Off the back of this, now FM22 and FM21 are also having problems, now after playing a couple matches one of the games will randomly just turn my game off. I think it’s a crash, but there’s no crash error message  always happens that match when I replay it (although I’ve tried this once, playing on only commentary meant the match didn’t crash) at any random point. 22 and 21 worked perfectly before I updated to the macOS 11 thing for FM23, now the old games aren’t working. There is another update now for mac so I’m wondering if I need to do that to be able to play problem free again. Although I’d prefer to see if there’s a solution that means I can play FM again without lagging and crashing without having to update given the large amount of storage they take.

6 saat önce, John Joe O'toole said:

Hey, this was for a pre-season friendly but highest it got to was 70degrees on high graphics and key highlights.

I have seen Ventura now has an update349000856_Screenshot2022-11-14at22_06_02.png.33d59544ab7110b42a8480f05027b9a2.png

Thank you. My device is the model with 16GB Ram and 7 core GPU. Maybe the problem is 7 core GPU.

24 dakika önce, XaW said:

@srvngrc - If you don't find anything in the Tech Support guide here:

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/sections/9807315748881-Technical-Issues

Then you need to open a support ticket to SEGA here:

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Did it. I also opened a ticked last year for same reason. But the issue still there.

3 minutes ago, srvngrc said:

Did it. I also opened a ticked last year for same reason. But the issue still there.

Do you have a ticket number? I can try to get someone to chase it up.

49 minutes ago, XaW said:

@srvngrc - If you don't find anything in the Tech Support guide here:

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/sections/9807315748881-Technical-Issues

Then you need to open a support ticket to SEGA here:

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

In this guide it says about refresh rates but doesn’t look like you can alter that on a MacBook Air. 

There must be something wrong because even though he’s got a 7 core GPU it shouldn’t run the match engine at 95degrees. Surely it’s not that demanding, not like he’s playing COD on it. 

14 saat önce, XaW said:

I can't promise anything, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks. I recieved an answer from Sega today. But that’s not a solution for me. Because i already tried to reduce graphic settings and even tried 2D but still running too hot. There is an optimisation problem I thing. I know FM is a demanding game but I’m saying it’s way too hot even in 2D. 

Here is the answer from Sega:

thank you for contacting SEGA Support.

If the game is using to much energy or is running too hot, i would suggest to lower the graphics quality level and/or the system resolution.

In general; Mac computers are capable of running very hot before they suffer damage or shut down (around 110 celsius) so it is fine, but we can understand it running hot and the fans being loud can be a bit disconcerting. If this is the case for you, as said it may be worth making preference changes to allow the game to run less intensely.

Best Regards,

14 saat önce, John Joe O'toole said:

In this guide it says about refresh rates but doesn’t look like you can alter that on a MacBook Air. 

There must be something wrong because even though he’s got a 7 core GPU it shouldn’t run the match engine at 95degrees. Surely it’s not that demanding, not like he’s playing COD on it. 

7 Core M1 GPU is not too behind from 8 core. There is about %10 difference between them.
I can play FM with 3D matches on my iPhone. So, M1 shouldn’t be struggle this much. 
Btw which version of MacOS are you running?