FM20 All-European (Less England) Small Club to Big Club Challenge

After a successful FM18 challenge in Norway and a not so good attempt in FM19 I am going to do this again for FM20.  I am staying in Scandinavia again but heading over the border from Norway to Sweden.

800px-Vastra_Frolunda_IF_logo_svg.thumb.png.86caacf04b229193a1316ae9c2175c7c.png

Vastra Frolunda IF of Gothenberg (Goteborg) are the team I have chosen, I think I did manage them briefly on an older FM.

Squad: Pretty good for this level actually

Club Info

Domestic History: were in the top tier in the late 1990s but have dropped considerably since.  Time for me to reverse that.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

After a successful FM18 challenge in Norway and a not so good attempt in FM19 I am going to do this again for FM20.  I am staying in Scandinavia again but heading over the border from Norway to Sweden.

800px-Vastra_Frolunda_IF_logo_svg.thumb.png.86caacf04b229193a1316ae9c2175c7c.png

Vastra Frolunda IF of Gothenberg (Goteborg) are the team I have chosen, I think I did manage them briefly on an older FM.

Squad: Pretty good for this level actually

Club Info

Domestic History: were in the top tier in the late 1990s but have dropped considerably since.  Time for me to reverse that.

I think they fostered Victor Lindelöf, so you might be in for a bit of money if he's sold

To be honest, I’m now tossing up some other leagues than Germany. I’d prefer something more along the lines of a Spain/Italy/Portugal than a Finland/Serbia.

I had a save ages ago as Dunkerque where I won the CL but they are now playable 😟.

Anyways, I reckon I might be willing to simply take the first suggestion I get from you lovely people, risky as that might be ha ha.

So, first suggestion will be the league I take as I am unable to make decisions and want it done for me. Have at it! (Be gentle). 

(Note: Doing a youth academy save with Palermo, so Italy would probably not be a preferred option).

Edited by DrPoods

3 hours ago, DrPoods said:

Doesn’t Holland lack promotion to the bottom playable division in the first season?

THINK that might have been last years' game which would now have been corrected in line (i think)??  might be wrong though.  Last year you had to holiday two seasons if i recall correctly.

On 28/11/2019 at 06:44, Crispypaul said:

Good to see some of the same names back in every year. Good luck Sweden can be a fun save

On 28/11/2019 at 14:36, rlipscombe said:

As for me, i am currently playing the first season of a save.  So far it's not going overly well and having a lot of draws.  Currently under a bit of pressure on my job.  Will see if i make it through and survive...

Same going for me in Turkey. Just above the Relegation line with 6 to go and I got the "could be last in charge" news article. Luckily won that match 2-1. Just finished the games and finished 3 pts above the drop. Taking 7 of 9 pts the last three games saved us. Tough to survive the first year going youth save. Hopefully hte board keep me around long enough to get a footing.

Civil Service Strollers FC logo.png

Civil Service Strollers 2020-2021

Good first season for us, after a 4 game losing streak to begin, we got things on track and were never in any danger. We were as high as 4th after week 17, then settled into 5th as there was a pretty clear gap between the top four and the rest of us. And we finished with a +1 goal difference.

League Table

We won our first round Tunnock's Wafer Cup on penalty kicks over Vale of Leithen, then fell in a tight contest to League 1 side Cove Rangers 1-2.

We lost our first Scottish Cup match to lower league side Berwick 0-3, that may have been our most embarrassing match of the season.

We played a 4-4-2 most of the season, very counter attacking in nature to begin, then gradually getting more aggressive as teams started giving us more respect. 

Cameron Muirhead was our leading scorer playing in a poacher role and often getting behind the defense. His 14 goals actually lead League 2 scorers.

Michael Wardrope was signed on a free to put some teeth in our midfield, he chipped in 4 goals as well.

And Welshman Alex Penny was our best defender, a physical beast for our level. Hoping to keep him around next season but he's not showing much interest in a new contest.

Our youth intake brought in one player who I think can play a role in the future, DM Aiden Moore, who I think can develop into a decent anchorman.

No issues financially yet, posted a 5K loss last season but still have an overall positive balance.

Next season, hopefully we can move into the top 4 and make the playoffs. Lots of holes to fill, most importantly a secondary striker to feed Muirhead. And his lack of determination has me worried he'll fall off a cliff. The only player I'm totally happy with so far is Penny so a lot of turnover will be coming.

Around Scotland

Celtic won the Premiership by 14 over Rangers, who were 15 ahead of Hibernian with Aberdeen rounding out the European spots.

Scotland advanced to the European Championship in 2020 but finished 4th in their group behind England, Poland and Czech Republic. Scotland is ranked 38th in the world. France beat Wales in the Euro final.

Edited by Tecmo

16 hours ago, GoalieManPat121 said:

Welp survived my first season in Turkey. Lost the first 5 games the next season and got the sack lol. Deciding where to go next. Might give my Dafuge save a go before trying again.

unlucky mate - bit harsh after survival season one.  Did they have any other concerns when you stayed up??  Brutal

On 10/12/2019 at 11:49, rlipscombe said:

unlucky mate - bit harsh after survival season one.  Did they have any other concerns when you stayed up??  Brutal

I think what pushed it over the tipping point was there was my transfer support was always real low. I was doing a youth save so I wasn't signing anyone and I got rid of quite a few on the roster after taking over. Dont know if that was a factor but I was suprised to it came so early. Never gotten the boot that early in a season after survival in any FM before. 

Image result for nk krk

Gonçalo Brandão | NK Krk | Croatia | 2024-26 (Season 5&6)

24/25 Summary | Table
25/26 Summary | Table

It's been a little too long since I last updated, meaning I've skipped a season. Fortunately it was a bit of a nothing season, once again in no danger of relegation nor in contention for Europe. 2025/26, on the other hand, saw us miss out on the Europa Conference League on the final day by only one point. If we'd won our final game, or if NK Lokomotiva didn't win theirs, we'd have had our first taste of European Football.

Two great young Brazilians were brought to my attention via their agents, so we have Thiago Sousa Filho and José Henrique working wonders for us. I'm confident that at the bare minimum we can make a nice profit on them, even though I'm sure that keeping them long-term will be a big ask. Ilan Pejic is still our main man out on the right, and is now a permanent member of our squad (along with Dario Stefulj and previous loanee Denis Busnja).

There's still some weaknesses I'm looking to address in the summer, but I'm optimistic we can put ourselves in contention for at least the Europa Conference positions again next season, if not the Europa League.

like the look of your Brazilians @Biscotti.  good luck next season and the push for a European place.  sounds like it isn't far away now.

As for me, my Italian job is over.  It appears the Palermo board weren't happy we me being on the edge of the promotion playoffs in March (their requirements for the season) and they booted me.  Bit bitter about it to be honest but there you go.  Off to my next destination - Germany

Civil Service Strollers FC logo.png

Civil Service Strollers 2021-2022

Slight improvement as far as points and goal difference, but rather disappointingly finished 5th again, part of a 4 way tie on 51 points between 4th and 7th place. Had a chance to claim 4th on the final day if we could have held on to a draw on the road but we gave up an 88th minute goal to squander that.

League Table

Probably not too surprising we didn't improve more, much of the team was turned over, we changed tactics and we were very young. Still, we were in first as late as week 15.

Cups

We were entered in the Betfred Cup this season, which starts with a group stage during what is basically preseason. Finished 4th of 5, only beating league mates Stranraer. Turned out to be a bad sign for them as they finished last in the league and lost on penalties to Kelty Hearts to be relegated.

In the Wafer Cup we claimed our first League 1 scalp, knocking off East Fife in their house 1-0 in a game that we were the better team. No such luck in the second round, falling to Dundee 1-4.

Slightly better performance in the Scottish Cup this season as we beat Kelty in our first game 3-1, but then fell to lower league Cumbernauld Colts in the next round 2-3.

Key Players

GK Graham Mackenzie deserves mention, he's been our starter in every league game thus far and really saves my defense plenty of times. Second in the league in saves.

AM Robbie Shinnie was our player of the year and young player of the year. The just turned 19 year old we signed from Montrose led the team with 14 goals and added 4 assists. Plays on both the left and right sides. Should be our full time starter as an attacking inside forward on the left side next season.

DC Ciaran Brian was our rock in the back line. Signed from Berwick, the 21 year old was a constant. Had occasional issues with his lack of first touch but usually didn't have to worry about him.

Youth Intake

Not much of not, best prospect is probably Keiran Dargo, a midfielder with some potential as a passer.

Finances

We actually made money, finishing about 50K on the plus side, largely from keeping the payroll down I think.

Looking Ahead

Hopefully some stability will get us into the playoffs next season. Thinking I need to find four new starters. A centerback partner for Brian, a striker to replace Muirhead (was far more inconsistent this season with a couple large scoring droughts) and a couple central midfielders. Badly need a playmaker and set piece taker.

Edited by Tecmo

Well, not quite sure what happened but everything went south in year 3. Too many changes maybe. Got off to a bad start, stabilized a bit midseason and then it was like the players quit. 5 straight losses, 8th place and we were fired in March.

Probably try Slovenia next, maybe after England though. Not done in Scotland but I may use a custom database next time so I can play with Clachnacuddin.

sorry for the lack of updates - had an unsuccessful first season with Palermo which ended with me being sacked despite being on edge of playoff places (boards requirement).  Had a little dabble in Germany which isn't grabbing me so just dipping my toe in another country, not one of the 'big 5' to see if that grabs me.  HOPING this one pulls me in....

welcome @Britrock - Milano City were a club i considered.  Will be interesting seeing if you can challenge the big two in years to come.  They MIGHT be useful clubs to use in the loan market - what sort of relationship (if at all) do you have with either or both out of interest?

I've gone through 17 seasons with Holywell Town and really need to get some updates up :-( I have kept all the evidence though. Despite winning Euro Cup II a few seasons back and 10 straight league titles, I still haven't got past the last 16 in the Champions League. Looking forward to getting some updates up.

6 hours ago, Britrock said:

I already have a GK, RB, MC and ST from the big boys in on season long loans :lol: I think I'm allowed 8 domestic loans so they may not be the last ones either!

i tend to find that it is a necessary 'evil'(??) if you like to get loan deals in in the first couple of seasons, particularly as you build your reputation.

2 hours ago, Shankly84 said:

I've gone through 17 seasons with Holywell Town and really need to get some updates up :-( I have kept all the evidence though. Despite winning Euro Cup II a few seasons back and 10 straight league titles, I still haven't got past the last 16 in the Champions League. Looking forward to getting some updates up.

been busy @Shankly84!  look forward to hearing your progress...

I have lost my save :(

Had to do a fresh windows install due to infection and despite it being on a different HD to my windows, for some reason FM got cleared off too (nothing else on that HD was affected).

I'm pissed off with myself for not backing up the save first, nor using Steam Cloud. I'm not sure if I'll have another go right now - might wait for the post-transfer-window patch now.

Scratch that - I think I've found it!

Edited by Biscotti

Image result for nk krk

Gonçalo Brandão | NK Krk | Croatia | 2026/27 (Season 7)

Summary | Table

My goal for this season was to make that Europa Conference League qualification spot, and this season we were good value for it. We weren't quite troubling the top 3, but that still feels a little way off - picking up points against Dinamo and Hajduk still feels like an achievement at present. Next season the intention is to consolidate that position and try to make ourselves the definitive 4th best team in Croatia - that will give us a platform to try to close the gap ahead.

James Talbot was probably our most important player by the end of the season, having only conceded 34 goals in 36 games. If we'd had a more prolific striker maybe we'd have been in a very strong position by the end of it. Ilan Pejic was probably the best of that lacklustre front line, but plans are in place to fix that for next season. The other name worth mentioning is José Henrique, who left us in January for the massive (for us) sum of £2.2m (with a 50% sell on clause) to go to PSG. We're not in financial trouble at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me if I sell that clause early rather than waiting it out.

Logo.png.99c26fd77cd27402e7b6fdf5e113e21f.png

Jono Capewell | Águia Vimioso | Portugal | 2020/21

Guess Who's Back....

Yup, I am back, have decided to give this a go with FM20, after playing some FM10 this year.

My Club

I have been hired by Águia Vimioso in Portugal, they are a very small club from Vimioso a small town in the extreme North-East of Portugal, the stadium seats 1000, which is 1/4 of the population of the town. The first piece of news after I took the job was a denial of the possible takeover, I really hope it doesn't occur and we get a chance to develop here. The club is so small they don't even have a Wiki page in Portuguese, their only title is a 4th level group in 2016, they lost in the Promotion playoffs.  Next task was to hire an assistant manager, welcome Marco Borges to the club. 

The Squad

The Squad contains some pretty strong youngsters, being a former amateur club I have no worries with contracts, so only those I want to keep will be staying. I will be playing a 4-1-4-1 formation with fluid counter attack, it might be a hard ask at this level, but we will see. My favourite of the young players is  Tiago Teixira (MC), he is only 16, but looks like he will do very well at this level. 

Also please let me know if none of the pictures show up when links are clicked.

Edited by Lower Leagues Rule

Logo.png.99c26fd77cd27402e7b6fdf5e113e21f.png

Jono Capewell | Águia Vimioso | Portugal | 2020/21

Preseason Update

Transfers In

Transfers In
Date Player Pos From Fee
07.07.20 Nuno Sualehe DM FA Free
07.07.20 André Rego DC FA Free
10.07.20 Jorge Sousa GK FA Free
11.07.20 Fonseca AML Aliados Lordelo €0
15.07.20 Miguel Pereira ST Tore de Moncorvo €0
16.07.20 Telmo Rosa DL Viseu e Benfica €0
21.07.20 Artur Silva DC Académica B €0
26.07.20 Rodrigo Otero DR Santa Maria FC €0
28.07.20 Sumaila Mané DC FA Free
02.08.20 Jota DL AD Sanjoanense €0
02.08.20 Pedro Rodrigues DL U. Lamas €0

Hope that some of these guys will make a difference to my team, as you will see in the update of the games, we aren't exactly in the best way here. We need to improve, have made some tactical changes before the last two games which improved it, but we need the guys to connect together. Also having none of the Loan listed players ever wanting to join me is not helping either. Telmo Rosa looks like a future star, but Jota should be the starter at Left back. Fonseca was another great signing, and Pereira will look to get into it up front.

Friendlies

Date Opposition H/A Result Goalscorers Att.
14.07.20 Moreirense U19 Bs H 1-1 Tiago Teixeira (39) 120
19.07.20 Desp. Aves U23s H 0-1 None 41
26.07.20 Vit.Guimarães U23s H 0-1 None 957
29.07.20 Famalicão U23s H 1-2 Rui Borges (88) 123
02.08.20 Sp. Braga U23s H 2-0 Jorge Alves (22), Miguel Pereira (70) 672
06.08.20 Vinhais H 1-0 Caio Raffael (30) 100

This went VERY badly, we started badly, we have issues with a lot of young players, who are good enough to do a job, but they get nerves easily. I made some changes in tactics for the final two games, drifiting from a counterattacking tactic to a flank crossing tactic, and we seem to be having some better times with this one. 

Tactic

image.thumb.png.2e3f2a95507b54a0958309827382b272.png

good to see you back @Lower Leagues Rule - making me want to dip my toe back into this challenge (struggled a bit so gone off to manage Sheffield Wednesday to get used to the new game a bit more).  Good to see you back in Portugal again also.

EDIT: As for the photos, it is asking me to sign into my google account......  And also looking at potential teams to come back to the challenge with....

Edited by rlipscombe

I see the "Unwilling to Experiment" message is still a thing, I have changed my tactics, but I didn't change my formation because I don't have the players to do anything else with... I have 2 total strikers a 4-4-2 (As my Ass Man suggests) will never work... 

I don't get it, at least realise the tactics have changed come on...

Currently holidaying in Scotland (exciting times) with a view to starting this challenge. Havent been able to commit much time to FM the last few years, but about to undergo some major surgery, and will have LOTS of time to get stuck into this. I like the look of the Kelty Hearts project, but not sure whether thats where i'll stay or whether to try Portugal (somewhere i've never played before), so i'll keep you posted on what decision i make :thup:

Hey guys,

I started yesterday with Palermo the challenge. They lost three of their best players to first tier team and had at the begin no CB, no LB, no LM, one striker and one goalie.

You get the next days a little update. My last try with this challenge was FM 17 with BFC (3th in the Bundesliga) and in FM 14 I finished the challenge with Essen.

regards gb2003

good to see you again @gb2003 - the name rings a bell which is good for me and my memory!  good luck with Palermo - i had a go but failed but hoping you do better than i did!  goodteam for this challenge

@Thebaker - can't say i have heard of them or seen anyone play as them but sound like an interesting team...

9 hours ago, Thebaker said:

Has anyone tried with Caley Braves in scotland.  Im just curious to know if all their youth players really are french.

Never seen them get promoted to a playable league

48 minutes ago, Tecmo said:

Never seen them get promoted to a playable league

They are a highland team so it is possible, i tried getting them up but ended with every higher rep team and quite a few lower rep teams promoted but not them.

5 hours ago, Thebaker said:

They are a highland team so it is possible, i tried getting them up but ended with every higher rep team and quite a few lower rep teams promoted but not them.

Some I don't think will ever come up. I've been trying for Clachnacladdin for several versions now