FM20 All-European (Less England) Small Club to Big Club Challenge

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.0fef834e840c62fd0af2659948e2c0e8.png

Città di Campobasso 2033-2034

Before I shut this one and move on to FM21, here's a last look at Città di Campobasso,s journey, along with a few things that I've learned along the way which might be useful for FM21...! 

My priorities for this season were to mount a credible Champions League challenge (that wen't on pretty well.. ;-) ), qualify for the Champions league on a consistent basis and make a bit of profit as we had promising youngsters coming in.  Last objective makes sense on the long run, but when I got to a credible run in the CL, I dropped it altogether, knowing that it would be my last season in this save... 

League Performance

Stage season in the league this year. Juventus really crushed it, finishing with 94 points, the highest Serie A total since 2025-2026, having allowed only 16 goals in the entire season...! Inter notably underperformed, barely qualifying for the Euro Cup after spending most of the season mid-table. Atalanta, a real force in the past seasons, probably got distracted by European competitions (they won the EURO Cup 1-0 against Arsenal), but finished only 10th in the league. Campobasso? A strong season finishing second. Not threatening Juventus for the challenge, but never really got nervous about falling out of qualification places for the Champions League. 

476293555_ScreenShot2020-11-13at09_25_27.thumb.png.10eb730223299e1914db283eed77bab0.png

Cup Performance

I knew I was going for the Champions League, so I sent a super-rotated squad in the Quarter Finals against Atalanta and we lost 1-0. All good, gave us time to concentrate on important stuff at the end of the season. 

Notable Performances

949630052_ScreenShot2020-11-13at09_31_31.thumb.png.a0680d8a9b7213b4aaae7304d9b22525.png

This year, we really had a good trio up front. Nogueira with 29 goals, 8 assists, Mariano with 20 goals and 9 assists and Cermak with 20 goals and 4 assists. Nogueira wasn't as dominating as in his first season, but the total firepower that we had with these three was impressive and key to our success this year. 

Cermak is really the perfect regen. 18 year olds, Wonderkid, bearded with a receding hairline, loads of potential. I'd love to take him to my FM21 save... :)

The back line was really strong too. Panadic was really holding it together at only 22 years old and Pablo had decided to commit to us, even after Tottenham had put a 100+ M€ bid for him in January. For some reason, Cervenka always overperformed at left back, likely because he Relishes big matches (like Mariano). 

In the midfield, the real star was Arjan Slagboom. Scored the winning goal in the CL, 6 goals in total and 14 assists. 

Safon Cavedo won Serie A Goalkeeper of the season, Slagboom won Serie A midfielder of the season and Nogueira won Serie A Striker of the season. Not a bad showing from our guys...

Mariano appreciation moment

I'd like to take a moment to appreciate the contribution that Mariano did for us. Coming on loan from Barcelona B, he scored 29 goals in the first season and kept banging them on with remarkable consistency after promotion to Serie A. I felt strongly about him after his first season and shelled out every last dime I had in my transfer budget at the time to snag him away from Evil Empoli. I still dislike Empoli to this day because of this and I'm so glad when they got relegated to Serie B while we were cruising in Serie A... :)

image.thumb.png.09ca9889373b7af3719e9ea9a312de14.png

He finished with 100 league goals for the club, a nice even number which would have been quickly surpassed by Nogueira and Cermak though, had I kept playing... 

image.thumb.png.925a9314425ea80204f2dee4dccd2139.png

Other info

European Club Rankings

Look ma! we're in front of Barcelona now! 

image.thumb.png.eef8cf9dd21aead5e871a5114cdd5928.png

Club records

image.thumb.png.81c73cb8b2485e5655c95cd05d255690.png

- Cermak was the youngest player for Campobasso AND scored a goal on his debut. 

- 14 fans at home in a Serie C Cup match vs. Pianese in 2021 shows how far we've made it. 

- 27 clean sheets in a season. Avg. rating: 6.9. Legendary Emiliano Safon Cavedo. 

- We were really never limited financially by our small-ish stadium, which was slowly expanded during the years, but never reaching the 25 000 seats that it could hold. Our finances were kept afloat by the TV rights in the Serie A and the prize money from competitions. This eased the financial pressure from having a small stadium and small-ish attendances. 

- Finished with 111 M€ in the bank

- Signing Lionel Messi as an AssMan is always a delight. He's been pretty good too! 

Club History

Season    |    League    |    Position    |    Italian Cup    |    CL    |        EURO CUP      |       Other       | European Position
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  20/21       Serie C/C           15th        2nd Qual Round	   N/A              N/A                    N/A
  21/22       Serie C/C           12th        2nd Qual Round       N/A              N/A                    N/A
  22/23       Serie C/C     6th - Promoted    2nd Qual Round       N/A              N/A                    N/A
  23/24       Serie B             16th        3rd Qual Round       N/A              N/A                    N/A
  24/25       Serie B             5th         4th Qual Round       N/A              N/A                    N/A
  25/26       Serie B             6th         4th Qual Round       N/A              N/A                    N/A
  26/27       Serie B      1st - Champions    Quarter Final        N/A              N/A                    N/A
  27/28       Serie A             8th           1st Round          N/A              N/A                    N/A
  28/29       Serie A             6th           1st Round          N/A              N/A                    N/A
  29/30       Serie A             8th           Semi Final         N/A       Semi Final (Man Utd.)         N/A                   94
  30/31       Serie A      1st - Champions      Semi Final         N/A              N/A                    N/A                   95
  31/32       Serie A             5th           Winners!      1st KO (Tottenham)    N/A              Super Cup Win               45
  32/33       Serie A             3rd           Semi Final         N/A            Winners!           Super Cup Runner-up         21
  33/34       Serie A             2nd         Quarter Final    !!!Winners!!!        N/A              Super Cup Win               11

Arrivederci, Città di Campobasso. I doubt we'll cross paths again unless I'm really looking for you. You've been great to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

We got back to the Scottish Championship immediately via the playoffs and have won our first two games there. 

Debating whether to get the new FM. Wasn't planning on it as I'm actually pretty happy with 20 but everyone talking about how much better the ME is has me waffling. And I just bought a new laptop so starting fresh is tempting. 

• 2 months later...

Well I've another month until FM21 as I buy on release of the final patch every year. I was going to hold off but got bored and decided  to fit in a quick  challenge. Decided to go for Finland. I wasn't going to post this up but I'm quite enjoying it so I will. I took all the screenshots so I'll catch up now. I'm actually a couple of seasons in.

I've gone with an old favorite club of mine FC Jazz,

FC Jazz

jazz.png.cec499a9b4e341399bf411ae9c627c03.png

Ykonnen– 2020 – 10th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

Not a great first season. We ended up in a relegation battle and only secured safety with two wins in the final two games. Until then it had looked a distinct possibility.

Recruitment was tricky with a limited wage budget. We were reliant on scraping together what free transfers I could manage. Hopefully this can be improved next season.

Key Players

Mika Ahonen – A free transfer from I-Kissat, Ahonen top scored with 9 goals

Record   

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020            Ykonnen                         10th                         

Edited by Andrew Haines

FC Jazz

Ykonnen– 2021 – 1st

Squad

Transfers

Overview

Promotion at the second attempt with a much improved performance. It was driven by my discovery that I could pickup cheap Brazilians by offering mass trials at the start of January. I brought in 3 which filled my 3 non-EU slots, Bengalvio at left-back and Joao and Ricardo on the wings (although Joao ended up playing as a stirker). Many of the remaining positions were  filled by African players who count as EU in Finland. This lead me to issues with line ups due to lacks of Finnish homegrown players.

We were remarkably inconsistent which was largely down to a weak defence. Upfront and in midfield we were very strong but I was struggling to fill defensive positions. Therefore it wasn’t until the tail end of the season when we hit the top of the table. Good runs of form would end abruptly with poor defeats. We went undefeated for the final eight games though that was enough to propel us up the table.

Key Players

Gabriel Okechukwu – Nigerian Striker signed from Moroccan football top scored in the Ykonnen with 21 goals.

Joao – Brazilian left winger picked up on a free transfer and played the season as a striker.

Ricardo – Another young Brazilian contributed nine goals and twelve assists from the right wing.

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020            Ykonnen                         10th                                        
2021            Ykonnen                         1st                                             Promoted, Champions

FC Jazz

Veikkausliga– 2022 – 7th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

On the face of it a 7th place finish in our first season in the top flight looks like a comfortable result. This hides how long we fought relegation however. Strong form in the closing stages of the season propelled us up the table and to the top of the relegation group (the table splitting in half for the closing period of the season). This was enough to put us into a playoff for a place in Europe, although we were eliminated from the playoffs at the quarter final stage.

As is often the case in a first season after promotion, recruitment was difficult. I was able to bring in established Finnish players in centre-back Juhani Pikkaranien and strikers Aristote Mboma and Niklas Jokaleinen who were all successes. This ate up much of my wage budget however. Combined with Brazilian stars of my previous season Mengalvio and Joao I had a decent core of a team. There were obvious gaps however, particularly in defence where players from last season were clearly deficient. In truth I needed a goalkeeper, right-back and centre back.

Survival was achieved however and this is a good start for us.

Key Players

Aristote Mboma – Top scorer in the league with 14 goals and named attacker of the season. A free transfer from Mariehamm.

Niklas Jokaleinen – Finnish U21 striker arrived on a free from AC Oulu and scored 12 goals.

Mengalvio – Brazilian left back was excellent in his second season at the club.

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
2020            Ykonnen                         10th                                         
2021            Ykonnen                         1st                                             Promoted, Champions
2022            Veikkausliga                    7th                                             

Edited by Andrew Haines

• 4 months later...
On 13/11/2020 at 10:43, jmarchand said:

image.png.0fef834e840c62fd0af2659948e2c0e8.png

Città di Campobasso 2033-2034

Before I shut this one and move on to FM21, here's a last look at Città di Campobasso's journey, along with a few things that I've learned along the way which might be useful for FM21...! 

Arrivederci, Città di Campobasso. I doubt we'll cross paths again unless I'm really looking for you. You've been great to me. 

Fun update. Campobasso was promoted to Serie C this year in real life! They have received investments from an American owner this year too. Now, if they could just sign a young Spaniard named Mariano, we'd come full circle! 

Forza Lupi! 

On 16/06/2021 at 18:46, jmarchand said:

Fun update. Campobasso was promoted to Serie C this year in real life! They have received investments from an American owner this year too. Now, if they could just sign a young Spaniard named Mariano, we'd come full circle! 

Forza Lupi! 

ha ha... brilliant!