Everything TOTAL Football (From Cruyff's 343 to Guardiola's Overloads) - UPDATED Feb 28, 2023

22 hours ago, Kevinmatt said:

My issue is i'm not creating many chances or scoring goals ive attached a sceenshot 

2145675542_tenhag.png.d608454bee133f378cc3abc283123b72.png

For what it's worth, I'd put Rashford on IF attack and Asensio on IW support. They fit each role perfectly.  Asensio is more of a playmaker type, while Rashford is faster and probably has better off the ball movement so he's better at running behind the defence. Even better if he has Beat Offside Trap PPM but I'm not sure.

Of course I'd also switch the full backs' roles (attack duty on the right, support duty on the left) to keep it consistent.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Rodpaco said:

For what it's worth, I'd put Rashford on IF attack and Asensio on IW support. They fit each role perfectly.  Asensio is more of a playmaker type, while Rashford is faster and probably has better off the ball movement so he's better at running behind the defence. Even better if he has Beat Offside Trap PPM but I'm not sure.

Of course I'd also switch the full backs' roles (attack duty on the right, support duty on the left) to keep it consistent.

Yes in the article i downloaded the tactic and Roles are swapped already so rashford is IF Atack and Sancho/Asensio on IW support.

Signed a backup have attached a screenshot to see if he will do;

Also does Positive work aswel as balanced? Worth a try and see woud it.

gouiri.thumb.png.c9abd2110f928e9650705040a7c788c1.png

On 11/04/2022 at 23:13, crusadertsar said:

Most tactics in this game are highly dependent on the players you have. Get some awesome players that fit the tactical style to a "t" and you are halfway there. And by "awesome" I don't mean the best players in the world. Just the ones with suitable attributes. The players I get most excited about in FM22 are usually the ones that cost me around 10 million. Or even ones I get on loan. No need to Real Madrid or Bayern-like superteam here.

How do you find these players at a low fees? Scout certain regions or countries with certain minimum mental attributes & potential or just manually use player search? 

is there certain attributes you’d say you look for for each position or is it a general one for all positions 

19 hours ago, Kevinmatt said:

Yes in the article i downloaded the tactic and Roles are swapped already so rashford is IF Atack and Sancho/Asensio on IW support.

Signed a backup have attached a screenshot to see if he will do;

Also does Positive work aswel as balanced? Worth a try and see woud it.

gouiri.thumb.png.c9abd2110f928e9650705040a7c788c1.png

So if you break it down - OTB 16, ANT 13, DEC 13. I would guess that he will likely make runs though not always at the right time or to the right place. But his highish Teamwork and WR would see him try them even if they dont come off. He isnt slow, he is balanced and agile and can finish with decent Composure, Technique and Finishing. Icing on the cake is gets into the area, cuts inside from the left and Plays one Twos. Pair him with a midfielder or striker with the one twos trait and you will probably see some nice moves into the box.

In a higher mentality I would probably play him as an IF(Su) to keep some defensive shape as he will still get into the box a lot.

On 13/04/2022 at 13:21, Chapman7 said:

How do you find these players at a low fees? Scout certain regions or countries with certain minimum mental attributes & potential or just manually use player search? 

is there certain attributes you’d say you look for for each position or is it a general one for all positions 

I basically manually search for players. And then narrow in on the ones i find more interesting, aka with the sets of attributes required for the role I'm looking for. So for my wide attacker, I absolutely need someone with great Off the Ball and Finishing. Then Composure, Anticipation, Decisions, and Acceleration need to be more than average but not exceptional. And he can dribble then that's always a bonus but not a requirement.

Edited by crusadertsar

32 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I absolutely need someone with great Off the Ball and Finishing. Then Composure, Anticipation, Decisions, and Acceleration need to be more than average if not exceptional. And he can dribble then that's always a bonus but not a requirement.

good reference for my player search criteria, thanks. an average of 12-13 on the attributes above is it enough?

Edited by kalongtongan

My Ajax save is bugging for me, no real Dutch squad etcetera and couldn’t get de name fix working so I started a new save last night and I’m going to use this 433😄👌🏻  Let’s see if Haller can be useful as a CF. 

Edited by Skywalk3r83

• crusadertsar changed the title to Everything TOTAL Football (From Cruyff's 343 to Guardiola's Overloads) - UPDATED April 21, 2022
22 hours ago, Tibalg said:

Is is Hristo’s son already 😁

And it seems you changed your previous 4-3-3 setup to go back to your « favorite » 3-4-3 Total Footballer one 😎

Good observations ;) 

1889D1E4BC8B6C6631236F646ABF207A68EB1FC5 (1600×900)

Definitely Hristo's son. At least my virtual Stoichkov and not the real one of course. Born in Plovdiv too. Although not sure why he has Cameroonian 2nd nationality. Maybe got that through his mother? 

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Good observations ;) 

1889D1E4BC8B6C6631236F646ABF207A68EB1FC5 (1600×900)

Definitely Hristo's son. At least my virtual Stoichkov and not the real one of course. Born in Plovdiv too. Although not sure why he has Cameroonian 2nd nationality. Maybe got that through his mother? 

But whats going on with the brother called René Henriksen? Scandinavian souveniers?

3 hours ago, oskumustatuli said:

But whats going on with the brother called René Henriksen? Scandinavian souveniers?

:lol: OMG didn't even see that one before! Will now have to look him up to see if he is any good. I guess Hristo got kids everywhere. Or at least his virtual game version. 

been trying to recreate cruyff’s 3-diamond-3 formation in fm for a number of years now. consider myself a football nerd and have read about his ajax & barcelona teams for hours on end. i created a save with barcelona early in fm22 with the cruyff formation but got bored of it. currently i am ajax manager in 2022/23 season with a 4-3-3 formation that in attack becomes a 3-diamond-3, similar to 10/11 barcelona and pep’s current man city side. i think i am going to do another season with this tactic as i don’t have the defenders to make it work atm, but i’ve never got the cruyff diamond to work fully in fm and it’s something that’s bugged me for ages. if you need help building this tactic i can help as i’ve tested it extensively in fm this year.

Just now, specialrequest said:

been trying to recreate cruyff’s 3-diamond-3 formation in fm for a number of years now. consider myself a football nerd and have read about his ajax & barcelona teams for hours on end. i created a save with barcelona early in fm22 with the cruyff formation but got bored of it. currently i am ajax manager in 2022/23 season with a 4-3-3 formation that in attack becomes a 3-diamond-3, similar to 10/11 barcelona and pep’s current man city side. i think i am going to do another season with this tactic as i don’t have the defenders to make it work atm, but i’ve never got the cruyff diamond to work fully in fm and it’s something that’s bugged me for ages. if you need help building this tactic i can help as i’ve tested it extensively in fm this year.

if you wondering how i’ve created a 433 which becomes a 3diamond3 in attack it’s through having a FB on defend and an IWB on attack, then a mezzala on attack and a CM on attack as this position takes up very central positions in the match engine. 

One of the actions from last game with my newest attempt at Pep City type of ball. Also first game with this tactic. DLF has roam more, WM on both sides have stay wider. That's all PI

image.png.440ded714bdbf51c0f16c53d139aa5ae.png

XV3euDiRmh.gif.a00f955383f3ec647287bdd574bd0a7d.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • crusadertsar changed the title to Everything TOTAL Football (From Cruyff's 343 to Guardiola's Overloads) - UPDATED May 30, 2022
1 hour ago, bosque said:

Excellent read!

Are you always using your ram striker as a TF or just when you are late in the game and you need to bully defenders?

To be honest I started out using Fer as a sub like that when I was integrating him into my First team last season. And Gerard Moreno (who is much more of a Complete Forward) was red hot. But then Moreno got injured for 3-4 months at the beginning of this season and I had no choice but to play Fer all the time.

And it has been a real revelation! So I'm now using my Battering Ram as a TF all the time, against most opposition. He is a beast who rarely gets tired or injured. And Im sure glad I did this because it's mid March now and he scored something like 32 goals in 33 appearances. 

It's often that you see him score a brace or hat trick per game. I will need to do another update soon to show more detailed statistics and results. 

Edited by crusadertsar

I've taken a liking to trying to get some of the lessor used roles, or role that people call hard to work and mashing them all into a single formation.

Currently I'm trying to make a 3-1-4-1-1 working in a formation that includes two defensive wingers, a libero, two wide centrebacks and a target forward. Things are looking promising.

That said - so much of the success is going to rely on the quality of the players you put into roles and how well they are suited to deliver the role you ask them to. Something I have noticed is a relatively common theme in this thread.

7 hours ago, khodder said:

I've taken a liking to trying to get some of the lessor used roles, or role that people call hard to work and mashing them all into a single formation.

Currently I'm trying to make a 3-1-4-1-1 working in a formation that includes two defensive wingers, a libero, two wide centrebacks and a target forward. Things are looking promising.

That said - so much of the success is going to rely on the quality of the players you put into roles and how well they are suited to deliver the role you ask them to. Something I have noticed is a relatively common theme in this thread.

@khodder I’d be interested to see your setup because I’ve been working on a similar formation but with a flat midfield 5, so 3-5-1-1 with similar roles to yours. A libero, two wide centrebacks, and two mezzalas. I’m undecided still on the wide roles though. 

My initial thought was two wide playmakers that tuck inside and then have the wide centrebacks overlapping, but I just haven’t seen that movement pattern happening enough to be entirely happy with it. How have the defensive wingers been working for you? 

On 10/06/2022 at 19:39, BarstoolProphet said:

@khodder I’d be interested to see your setup because I’ve been working on a similar formation but with a flat midfield 5, so 3-5-1-1 with similar roles to yours. A libero, two wide centrebacks, and two mezzalas. I’m undecided still on the wide roles though. 

My initial thought was two wide playmakers that tuck inside and then have the wide centrebacks overlapping, but I just haven’t seen that movement pattern happening enough to be entirely happy with it. How have the defensive wingers been working for you? 

They've been going pretty well. They still get forward, especially as they are given a fair few attacking instructions individually. They play differently depending on the players too. Some will look to hit the byline and others get into the area, so I've been able to customise a bit that way. Can drop some screenshots in here later.

Still finding that we get really caught out defensively down the wings. So have a couple of ideas to possibly try them with a defend duty and see how that plays out and also possibly funnelling the opposition central so they don't create as much space outside.

Haven't loaded up the save in a couple of days though so mostly just ideas there.

image.png.d8d52c3ce2fb3356944fc7d73b38b98f.png

image.png.485b1fdfe4c6f4da838f492b2deb2030.png

I'm working through these two formations at the moment trying to figure out which works best for what I want. Toying with the idea of a Box midfield too.

Edited by khodder

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/01/2022 at 19:02, Brian said:

Love the ''creating part''. 

When training for positions on FM for the right attributes, I only train my players in the following player roles:

• Sweeper Keeper
  • Ball Playing Defender
  • Complete Wingback
  • Deep Lying Playmaker
  • Roaming Playmaker
  • Complete Forward

These roles cover most attributes in training that defines the total package for me, regarding to Total Football.  

P.S. I love you're giving Happel the recognition that he deserves. Even though Michels and Cruijff promoted Total Football more, it was Cruijffs vison as a player and coach that evolved total football far ahead of it's time. And it's the reason we can watch Pep working magic at Barca, Bayern and now City. 

I've done similar, I like keeping things flexible. What do you do for players in ML/R and AML/R? Do you train them in MC/AMC/CF positions?

• 2 months later...
On 15/06/2022 at 01:53, khodder said:

They've been going pretty well. They still get forward, especially as they are given a fair few attacking instructions individually. They play differently depending on the players too. Some will look to hit the byline and others get into the area, so I've been able to customise a bit that way. Can drop some screenshots in here later.

Still finding that we get really caught out defensively down the wings. So have a couple of ideas to possibly try them with a defend duty and see how that plays out and also possibly funnelling the opposition central so they don't create as much space outside.

Haven't loaded up the save in a couple of days though so mostly just ideas there.

image.png.d8d52c3ce2fb3356944fc7d73b38b98f.png

image.png.485b1fdfe4c6f4da838f492b2deb2030.png

I'm working through these two formations at the moment trying to figure out which works best for what I want. Toying with the idea of a Box midfield too.

How are these working out for you?

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2022 at 19:39, -Jef- said:

One of the actions from last game with my newest attempt at Pep City type of ball. Also first game with this tactic. DLF has roam more, WM on both sides have stay wider. That's all PI

image.png.440ded714bdbf51c0f16c53d139aa5ae.png

XV3euDiRmh.gif.a00f955383f3ec647287bdd574bd0a7d.gif

If no one will credit you for ur style. I will. Your WM, what were the instructions?

i also suggest adding underlap instructions on both sides and increasing the mentality of the MEZ and DLF

Edited by awesomeveekthor

So what would you look at if you were struggling against a better or maybe the same level opponent? Let's say the overload is either losing the ball or the unlocked wing is not getting the chances it normally gets in your tactic. I know it's a broad question but it would be great to see some examples of when you need to make changes in game....

10 hours ago, awesomeveekthor said:

If no one will credit you for ur style. I will. Your WM, what were the instructions?

i also suggest adding underlap instructions on both sides and increasing the mentality of the MEZ and DLF

Just stay wider. I'm gonna try this in fm23 tho I don't have natural LM and RM

16 minutes ago, awesomeveekthor said:

Interesting…seems to recreate Pep true style, 4-1-4-1 is the one for it

it works well this year as well

my wingers are not dynamic enough so they were very tired.

I think defensively it needs to dial back unless you've got extremely physical side

11 hours ago, -Jef- said:

it works well this year as well

my wingers are not dynamic enough so they were very tired.

I think defensively it needs to dial back unless you've got extremely physical side

Yeah true. Cause they have to get up the final third, press and if they fail, they have to go back to the ML strata and work together with the CMs and press to collect the ball. It really is a tasking tactic, but i still love it.

1 hour ago, awesomeveekthor said:

Yeah true. Cause they have to get up the final third, press and if they fail, they have to go back to the ML strata and work together with the CMs and press to collect the ball. It really is a tasking tactic, but i still love it.

I haven't fully tested it yet but mid block or even low block with higher defensive line could work to tighten the space that opponent will have. Funnel them inside and drop more could work to avoid those pesky over the top balls.

Also, DLF-s drops deeper than on last fm and if you can I'd use CF-S or F9.

Another thing with reworked inside winger/forward roles actually hugging the line is that they could be viable now as Pep style wingers with stay wider.

I need to workshop this a bit more :D

1 hour ago, -Jef- said:

I haven't fully tested it yet but mid block or even low block with higher defensive line could work to tighten the space that opponent will have. Funnel them inside and drop more could work to avoid those pesky over the top balls.

Also, DLF-s drops deeper than on last fm and if you can I'd use CF-S or F9.

Another thing with reworked inside winger/forward roles actually hugging the line is that they could be viable now as Pep style wingers with stay wider.

I need to workshop this a bit more :D

Let me know what u observed after you lab this tactic man😌

• 3 months later...

Mini-Update: 25 Pass Total Football Goal

The single best play I have seen in FM23 so far. It started with an interception of opposition goalkeeper's kick and ended with a total team effort of a goal. But it is the 50 something seconds in the middle that really makes this special. 25 passes that led up to this beautiful Total Football goal.  This also gives an answer to one question I had, can one achieve Total Football, Vertical Tiki-Taka style with a narrow formation? Apparently you can!

If people are interested I will reveal more details on the tactic that I am currently using, with Braga "Arsenalistas" in our 3rd season, to achieve this brand of Total Football.

And oh yes, we just totally destroyed Club Brugge in the Champions League.

Edited by crusadertsar

My Braga Experience Continued

As you can see in the tactic image below, in the Autumn of 2024, I have made quite a few changes to Portugal's Little Arsenal. Regrettably, we could not hold on to our three biggest stars, namely Ricardo Horta and Vitinha, both lost to Real Madrid (Vitinha has also gone to Marseille in real life). As well as our aging, star keeper Matheus whose release clause was triggered by Leeds this season. But to be honest, the departure of Vitinha was probably a good thing because it allowed Abel Ruiz to really shine as he emerged from under his striking partner's shadow and developed at an incredible pace. What a late bloomer! 

abel.png.379fa344cf4d5529338e9e21347c75c1.png

A one-time Barcelona reject, has become a vice-captain and one of the most complete forwards for Arsenalista. And he even has some pretty incredible intangible hidden traits like loving Big matches and high consistency rating. It allowed him to surpass Vitinha's previous record by scoring 34 goals for us last season. 

milestones.png.5e7cfa03d3046164341b57aa667ff508.png

Yet all these unwanted transfers gave us a sizeable transfer kitty that allowed me to really craft a team that I want that is capable of playing the kinds of tactics that I want. Outside of Abel Ruiz and Andre Horta (turned out to be more loyal than his younger brother Ricardo) and the defensive core of Tormena and Niakate, not a much of original Summer 2022 1st Team remains. And yet it's a much improved team. After two cup wins in the 2nd season, the club value has more than doubled to 150 million. 

2863F666D6C9B2B4A3CEF1AAE4BA8973691627A2 (1600×900)

But anyway I digress. This is my Narrow Diamond tactic since a couple of months. It was an interesting tactical evolution that went from 4-2-3-1 to 4-2-2-2 Magic Box and now to this latest tactic. I find this is the one that gives us the most balance, in attack and defence. To be honest, I was more than a little influenced by Mourinho's legendary Porto team. But that is to be expected. Especially if you already read my Defence-First Football thread and know of my long-standing Special One obsession. 

This current 4-4-2 diamond is somewhat similar to the one I discuss on the second page of that older thread. And some of the rationale I use there could also apply here. Things like tactical variety and importance of building a tactic up from defence first. But at the same time I took some liberties with the roles and modeled the tactic more into a Vertical Tiki-Taka systme. Nevertheless, I still prefer to have one more attacking and one more defensive fullback. 

Speaking of fullbacks, you might wonder why I use an Inverted Fullback and on defend duty too?! And in a narrow tactic to boot! Blasphemy!!

Well there is a very good reason for that. I really needed a defensively-solid wide player, who will mostly stay in our own half and ping passes to his more advanced teammates while occasionally moving forward to join attacks when safe to do so, such as during counters. I also needed a player that is more dynamic and progressive in his passing, hence I needed him to operate with a higher individual mentality. Such as the balanced individual mentality that is created by the combination of defend duty and "underlap right" instruction. The kind of movement that you see created in the clip I posted earlier, simply cannot be possible with players playing on cautious or defensive individual mentality (outside of the centrebacks of course). 

iwf.thumb.png.fca38ba9ec676df4389f2c92a8c56350.png

But coming back to the inverted wingback. A few other behaviors I need from my IWB is holding position, crossing less often, dribbling less and sitting more narrow. All hard-coded to the role already. Closing down more and marking tighter I added myself.

While the player is on defend duty, he is not really a defensive role. But more of a conservative wide covering/support role, similar to our carrilero in the midfield. For that reason, the best players to slot into a IWB are retrained midfielders. Players like Albert Sambi Lakonga. Another big club reject who found a new home and flourished at Braga.

albert.thumb.png.538061d1cb655274835c589aca5c1019.png

Albert playing as the right-wing Inverted Wingback really keeps our right flank solid, permitting the Mezzala on attack duty to really come into his own. While our left flank fullback is allowed more attacking freedom with his attack duty. Here I am retraining another winger (albeit one with relatively decent positioning and tackling, so a defensive winger really) into an attacking fullback.

Victor.thumb.png.a8e72c8070549c09158100e236c8a062.png

But my 1st choice for the left fullback remains one and only Galarza, one of the surprising stars of my team.

galarza2.thumb.png.4f569c34f6f2ec75f891f95e44deddc3.png

Matias Galarza, an unknown (to me) Paraguyan midfielder whom I picked up for a pittance in my 1st season with Braga. And after undergoing a complete positional switch from midfielder to fullback, the fruits of his complete midfielder skill-set have really started to bear in his new flank position. His individual traits, especially my favourite "play one-twos", have helped in stamping the unique character on his play style. If you watch the video I posted above closely than you will see exactly how involved Galarza gets in our pass and move play that leads to the eventual goal. Galarza had at least 3 key passes (including the one right before the goal) in that 25 pass build-up play. Not bad for a fullback! On two occasions you can see him pass to a teammate and then run into space looking for a pass back. A classic one-two play. And when you have such behaviour not just from one player but from at least 7 players in your formation then ever-elusive Total Football becomes a very realistic possibility in the game.

It is rather remarkable how much of a difference a unique set of attributes and some traits can make on an overall tactic. And both of these things come into play in my tactic. Not only do I use midfielders in my fullback roles but also make sure that more than half of my formation's roles possess the "plays one-twos" trait. In fact, in that goal clip, everyone except for the two centrebacks and DM anchorman had that unique trait. 

Can you see the benefits of retraining players from their natural positions and roles yet?

Something that I find myself doing often in Football Manager is to use tactical positional retraining in order to use players outside of their natural position. I believe it's a great, and very undervalued, strategic option that can both be light on the budget and tactically advantageous. Especially for a club like Braga.

So why do I like to retrain my players? Especially when this tactical option comes with a some pretty significant disadvantages ranging from worsened player morale to lowered tactical performance (decision attribute is limited when playing out of position).

unhappy.png.52763f36de2e212a6749c1a3e0314aa0.png

Well, there are also some clear advantages that come with positional retraining. Such as:

1) Facilitating the switch from one formation to another. Having players that can fill multiple and varied positions can aid in increasing your team's tactical flexibility and variability. Sometimes you might want to change your formation short-term, "on the fly" during a match, in order to counter strong opponent's tactic or to break down an especially stubborn defence. Other times you might see that midway through the season your tactic is not working and wish to switch things up by trying a different formation for a few matches. Having players on your team who can already fill the new roles and positions can greatly facilitate the process of moving to a new tactic. I will often start players on training for a position in preparation for such a "long-term" tactical switch.

2) This brings me to my next point. Once you made the switch to a new formation, you will need players to fill it. Retraining your current players will help you in filling tactical positions while operating on a tight budget. When given choice, I prefer to make the best of the players I already have without having to spend my modest transfer budget on new players. Or buy cheap players and retrain them into exotic roles that are otherwise hard to fill, such as Inverted Wingbacks and mezzalas.

For example, when I first switched to 4-2-3-1, my team lacked a quality left wingback. And when I scouted the transfer market for suitable targets, no-one suitable (whom I could also afford with Braga's modest budget) could be found. So then I resorted to buying a cheap young midfielder from Paraguay to fill the role. He already possessed some great technical and mental attributes that I was looking for in my ideal attacking fullback. And after 6 months of retraining he became comfortable in the role. After a full season with the club, he is natural in his position.

3) Creating "shadow roles" to "surprise" the AI or "break the lines" so to speak. This is one of my favourite reasons for retraining footballers. It involves taking a footballer with attributes that are very common in their natural position, and moving him to another position that has scarcity of options when it comes to available players. Or to a role where his particular set of attributes is rather rare. For example while choices of natural False 9 strikers might be scarce, there are plenty of AMC playmakers with decent finishing who can be restrained into a central striker role. Outside of the elite teams, there are not that many affordable options for creative, technical strikers. But a lower tier club could always retrain an advanced midfielder to play the False 9 role just as well. Similarly, very creative natural centrebacks that can fill the Ballplaying Defender or Libero roles can be hard to come by while strong tall midfielders with good passing and tackling are rather common. 

Sometimes a hardworking striker (really a pressing forward) can become a very good mezzala. So that even a mid-tier team, like Frankfurt, can operate with an exotic central winger role. 

rafael.thumb.png.a4e9663905a1664cb222f893d1f24046.png

Anyway, this is my favourite topic so I intend to cover more of it in the future, but hopefully you get the point for now.

Cheers! And happy managing :cool:

• crusadertsar changed the title to Everything TOTAL Football (From Cruyff's 343 to Guardiola's Overloads) - UPDATED Feb 28, 2023
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow! What a genuinely creative tactical idea. I always though 4-4-2 diamonds were more for counter attacking or pressing teams but this has really changed my viewpoint. I was never one for retraining players, I always thought it would be long and strenous, and better off keeping them in their own position but it's very creative to have 2 fullbacks and each of them are midfields. And not only that, the left sided one plays like a "genuine" fullback!

On 28/02/2023 at 03:22, crusadertsar said:

My Braga Experience Continued

As you can see in the tactic image below, in the Autumn of 2024, I have made quite a few changes to Portugal's Little Arsenal. Regrettably, we could not hold on to our three biggest stars, namely Ricardo Horta and Vitinha, both lost to Real Madrid (Vitinha has also gone to Marseille in real life). As well as our aging, star keeper Matheus whose release clause was triggered by Leeds this season. But to be honest, the departure of Vitinha was probably a good thing because it allowed Abel Ruiz to really shine as he emerged from under his striking partner's shadow and developed at an incredible pace. What a late bloomer! 

abel.png.379fa344cf4d5529338e9e21347c75c1.png

A one-time Barcelona reject, has become a vice-captain and one of the most complete forwards for Arsenalista. And he even has some pretty incredible intangible hidden traits like loving Big matches and high consistency rating. It allowed him to surpass Vitinha's previous record by scoring 34 goals for us last season. 

milestones.png.5e7cfa03d3046164341b57aa667ff508.png

Yet all these unwanted transfers gave us a sizeable transfer kitty that allowed me to really craft a team that I want that is capable of playing the kinds of tactics that I want. Outside of Abel Ruiz and Andre Horta (turned out to be more loyal than his younger brother Ricardo) and the defensive core of Tormena and Niakate, not a much of original Summer 2022 1st Team remains. And yet it's a much improved team. After two cup wins in the 2nd season, the club value has more than doubled to 150 million. 

2863F666D6C9B2B4A3CEF1AAE4BA8973691627A2 (1600×900)

But anyway I digress. This is my Narrow Diamond tactic since a couple of months. It was an interesting tactical evolution that went from 4-2-3-1 to 4-2-2-2 Magic Box and now to this latest tactic. I find this is the one that gives us the most balance, in attack and defence. To be honest, I was more than a little influenced by Mourinho's legendary Porto team. But that is to be expected. Especially if you already read my Defence-First Football thread and know of my long-standing Special One obsession. 

This current 4-4-2 diamond is somewhat similar to the one I discuss on the second page of that older thread. And some of the rationale I use there could also apply here. Things like tactical variety and importance of building a tactic up from defence first. But at the same time I took some liberties with the roles and modeled the tactic more into a Vertical Tiki-Taka systme. Nevertheless, I still prefer to have one more attacking and one more defensive fullback. 

Speaking of fullbacks, you might wonder why I use an Inverted Fullback and on defend duty too?! And in a narrow tactic to boot! Blasphemy!!

Well there is a very good reason for that. I really needed a defensively-solid wide player, who will mostly stay in our own half and ping passes to his more advanced teammates while occasionally moving forward to join attacks when safe to do so, such as during counters. I also needed a player that is more dynamic and progressive in his passing, hence I needed him to operate with a higher individual mentality. Such as the balanced individual mentality that is created by the combination of defend duty and "underlap right" instruction. The kind of movement that you see created in the clip I posted earlier, simply cannot be possible with players playing on cautious or defensive individual mentality (outside of the centrebacks of course). 

iwf.thumb.png.fca38ba9ec676df4389f2c92a8c56350.png

But coming back to the inverted wingback. A few other behaviors I need from my IWB is holding position, crossing less often, dribbling less and sitting more narrow. All hard-coded to the role already. Closing down more and marking tighter I added myself.

While the player is on defend duty, he is not really a defensive role. But more of a conservative wide covering/support role, similar to our carrilero in the midfield. For that reason, the best players to slot into a IWB are retrained midfielders. Players like Albert Sambi Lakonga. Another big club reject who found a new home and flourished at Braga.

albert.thumb.png.538061d1cb655274835c589aca5c1019.png

Albert playing as the right-wing Inverted Wingback really keeps our right flank solid, permitting the Mezzala on attack duty to really come into his own. While our left flank fullback is allowed more attacking freedom with his attack duty. Here I am retraining another winger (albeit one with relatively decent positioning and tackling, so a defensive winger really) into an attacking fullback.

Victor.thumb.png.a8e72c8070549c09158100e236c8a062.png

But my 1st choice for the left fullback remains one and only Galarza, one of the surprising stars of my team.

galarza2.thumb.png.4f569c34f6f2ec75f891f95e44deddc3.png

Matias Galarza, an unknown (to me) Paraguyan midfielder whom I picked up for a pittance in my 1st season with Braga. And after undergoing a complete positional switch from midfielder to fullback, the fruits of his complete midfielder skill-set have really started to bear in his new flank position. His individual traits, especially my favourite "play one-twos", have helped in stamping the unique character on his play style. If you watch the video I posted above closely than you will see exactly how involved Galarza gets in our pass and move play that leads to the eventual goal. Galarza had at least 3 key passes (including the one right before the goal) in that 25 pass build-up play. Not bad for a fullback! On two occasions you can see him pass to a teammate and then run into space looking for a pass back. A classic one-two play. And when you have such behaviour not just from one player but from at least 7 players in your formation then ever-elusive Total Football becomes a very realistic possibility in the game.

It is rather remarkable how much of a difference a unique set of attributes and some traits can make on an overall tactic. And both of these things come into play in my tactic. Not only do I use midfielders in my fullback roles but also make sure that more than half of my formation's roles possess the "plays one-twos" trait. In fact, in that goal clip, everyone except for the two centrebacks and DM anchorman had that unique trait. 

Can you see the benefits of retraining players from their natural positions and roles yet?

Something that I find myself doing often in Football Manager is to use tactical positional retraining in order to use players outside of their natural position. I believe it's a great, and very undervalued, strategic option that can both be light on the budget and tactically advantageous. Especially for a club like Braga.

So why do I like to retrain my players? Especially when this tactical option comes with a some pretty significant disadvantages ranging from worsened player morale to lowered tactical performance (decision attribute is limited when playing out of position).

unhappy.png.52763f36de2e212a6749c1a3e0314aa0.png

Well, there are also some clear advantages that come with positional retraining. Such as:

1) Facilitating the switch from one formation to another. Having players that can fill multiple and varied positions can aid in increasing your team's tactical flexibility and variability. Sometimes you might want to change your formation short-term, "on the fly" during a match, in order to counter strong opponent's tactic or to break down an especially stubborn defence. Other times you might see that midway through the season your tactic is not working and wish to switch things up by trying a different formation for a few matches. Having players on your team who can already fill the new roles and positions can greatly facilitate the process of moving to a new tactic. I will often start players on training for a position in preparation for such a "long-term" tactical switch.

2) This brings me to my next point. Once you made the switch to a new formation, you will need players to fill it. Retraining your current players will help you in filling tactical positions while operating on a tight budget. When given choice, I prefer to make the best of the players I already have without having to spend my modest transfer budget on new players. Or buy cheap players and retrain them into exotic roles that are otherwise hard to fill, such as Inverted Wingbacks and mezzalas.

For example, when I first switched to 4-2-3-1, my team lacked a quality left wingback. And when I scouted the transfer market for suitable targets, no-one suitable (whom I could also afford with Braga's modest budget) could be found. So then I resorted to buying a cheap young midfielder from Paraguay to fill the role. He already possessed some great technical and mental attributes that I was looking for in my ideal attacking fullback. And after 6 months of retraining he became comfortable in the role. After a full season with the club, he is natural in his position.

3) Creating "shadow roles" to "surprise" the AI or "break the lines" so to speak. This is one of my favourite reasons for retraining footballers. It involves taking a footballer with attributes that are very common in their natural position, and moving him to another position that has scarcity of options when it comes to available players. Or to a role where his particular set of attributes is rather rare. For example while choices of natural False 9 strikers might be scarce, there are plenty of AMC playmakers with decent finishing who can be restrained into a central striker role. Outside of the elite teams, there are not that many affordable options for creative, technical strikers. But a lower tier club could always retrain an advanced midfielder to play the False 9 role just as well. Similarly, very creative natural centrebacks that can fill the Ballplaying Defender or Libero roles can be hard to come by while strong tall midfielders with good passing and tackling are rather common. 

Sometimes a hardworking striker (really a pressing forward) can become a very good mezzala. So that even a mid-tier team, like Frankfurt, can operate with an exotic central winger role. 

rafael.thumb.png.a4e9663905a1664cb222f893d1f24046.png

Anyway, this is my favourite topic so I intend to cover more of it in the future, but hopefully you get the point for now.

Cheers! And happy managing :cool:

Do you use any other player instructions or opposition instructions. I love this shape and the idea and I would like to build my current team around this tactical setup and idea.

• 2 months later...
On 26/02/2023 at 13:44, crusadertsar said:

Mini-Update: 25 Pass Total Football Goal

The single best play I have seen in FM23 so far. It started with an interception of opposition goalkeeper's kick and ended with a total team effort of a goal. But it is the 50 something seconds in the middle that really makes this special. 25 passes that led up to this beautiful Total Football goal.  This also gives an answer to one question I had, can one achieve Total Football, Vertical Tiki-Taka style with a narrow formation? Apparently you can!

If people are interested I will reveal more details on the tactic that I am currently using, with Braga "Arsenalistas" in our 3rd season, to achieve this brand of Total Football.

And oh yes, we just totally destroyed Club Brugge in the Champions League.

Could you attach the tactic to download to try this? :applause: