Anyone see the regens yet?

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Siven:

If they are anything like the manager heads....then they will be shockingly bad :(

I wonder if theres an option to disable to portraits actually, for regens and manager. I'd rather just have a black outline tbh.

For newgens there is, preferences - interface - top right

It is possible to remove the managers 3D face from the game as well. There's a guide someone on the Internet. I've been removing the managers head every year. You will be left with no image (not even a border) where the managers head is suppose to be. It will be completely blank. 

vor 31 Minuten schrieb pdstanbridge:

I haven’t bought this yet because of these issues but generally the reviews are very positive. I’m tempted for sure but maybe I’d be better reinstalling 16 with the hair packs.. 

I recommend at least to wait and play the demo. I think you would miss something, if you don't do it.

I was wondering if the regen faces in the Beta are definitive? Because they're absolutely awful. They look all the same, there's no difference between races (asian, african, latinos etc.) and all the regens look dumb and slightly stoned?

Is this going to be fixed with the final version or with a patch?

I don't know how these were supposed to be the best regen faces ever produced, in my honest opinion they're way worse than the fm17 and fm18 ones.

4 hours ago, bones86 said:

I don't know how these were supposed to be the best regen faces ever produced, in my honest opinion they're way worse than the fm17 and fm18 ones.

Bones saying  they are worse than FM17 is taking a bit of long bow. :) 

I do agree that they are very 2nd rate, especially since Miles gave them such a hype pre-beta but they are a step or two better than the American Zombie FM Regens of 17.  In saying that,  FM19 Regens are still several steps short of a pass mark in my eyes. 

Very very disappointing. And for Miles to state they are MUCH better. And on his twitter, was using the hashtag #attentiontodetail. With all due respect, there are a lot of things in this game that lack attention to detail, and regen faces is one of them. #LACKofattentiontodetail

10 minutes ago, Amarante said:

To actually think people care about how regens look. lol. All i care about is what they do on the pitch. 

Believe it or not, in a game that is trying to be a simulation and aims for immersion for the user, yes, people do care about how how their players look. In fact, I'd say most people would prefer variation in terms of how their newgens look...

13 minuti fa, DP ha scritto:

Believe it or not, in a game that is trying to be a simulation and aims for immersion for the user, yes, people do care about how how their players look. In fact, I'd say most people would prefer variation in terms of how their newgens look...

Exactly. 
Anyways imo newgen faces are more important than the 3d match engine for example

On 19/10/2018 at 18:49, GoldenGoal said:

Here's a few more, I'm starting to dislike their look honestly. Some faces look fine but others look awful. Anybody that has the beta can please post asian and african regens so we can take a look?

Very similar look on these guys, the first face also seems to have bizarre proportions. A very tiny beard and chin.

image.png.91f4c8022f924db21edec6909c7833

image.png.7f5b8309dd55e7682a27208678f8c59c.pngimage.png.05104e9f15bb9a2b1b6c99953f8b9792.png

Have they borrowed the faces from the first Sims game?

I doubt many of you will like what I have to say on this issue, but I thought I'd chip in to stop this discussion from becoming horrendously one-sided.

From what I've seen of the newgen faces in FM19 so far, they are a definite improvement on the faces seen in FM17 and FM18. There are a few newgens that look like melted waxworks or assault victims, but there does seem to be much more variety in faces and hairstyles. After the monstrosities of the last few years, that is acceptable for me.

This is the second year of SI using 3D-generated faces for newgens in FM. This was always going to be a difficult process, and there is still some way to go before they reach the quality many of you expect. Believe me, though, that SI would not have switched from 2D faces to 3D if they weren't looking to push that aspect of the game to the next level. If they can nail it, the results and possibilities could be truly amazing.

It's like when SI brought in the ability to create your own 3D manager. Yes, it's not a popular feature, but hear me out. When it first came into being in FM15 (or FM16, I'm not sure), it was rubbish. 3/4 years down the line, and I'd say it is a great deal better. My manager actually looks somewhat like me now.

Could FM19's newgen faces be improved? Yes, for sure. Will they be improved? I'd be surprised if they weren't. The game is still in beta, let's not forget.

5 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I doubt many of you will like what I have to say on this issue, but I thought I'd chip in to stop this discussion from becoming horrendously one-sided.

From what I've seen of the newgen faces in FM19 so far, they are a definite improvement on the faces seen in FM17 and FM18. There are a few newgens that look like melted waxworks or assault victims, but there does seem to be much more variety in faces and hairstyles. After the monstrosities of the last few years, that is acceptable for me.

This is the second year of SI using 3D-generated faces for newgens in FM. This was always going to be a difficult process, and there is still some way to go before they reach the quality many of you expect. Believe me, though, that SI would not have switched from 2D faces to 3D if they weren't looking to push that aspect of the game to the next level. If they can nail it, the results and possibilities could be truly amazing.

It's like when SI brought in the ability to create your own 3D manager. Yes, it's not a popular feature, but hear me out. When it first came into being in FM15 (or FM16, I'm not sure), it was rubbish. 3/4 years down the line, and I'd say it is a great deal better. My manager actually looks somewhat like me now.

Could FM19's newgen faces be improved? Yes, for sure. Will they be improved? I'd be surprised if they weren't. The game is still in beta, let's not forget.

Why not just release when ready? Or when the possibilities are amazing? Because the reality is far from amazing right now.

2 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Just for clarification, it is the third year.  2017, 2018 and 2019

No, it's the second year. FM17's faces still used 2D technology and could be customised with 2D hairpacks.

Just now, DP said:

Why not just release when ready? Or when the possibilities are amazing? Because the reality is far from amazing right now.

That is where I (and many others, I suspect) would appreciate an official response from SI. I seem to remember once asking for someone from the company to respond honestly about newgen faces when they were at their worst, but there was no response.

The regen faces aren't bad, well the skin has the faces a lot smaller than previous years but from the ones I've got at my current team they look alright. My faves were the regens from FM14, ahh memories.

3 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

The regen faces aren't bad, well the skin has the faces a lot smaller than previous years but from the ones I've got at my current team they look alright. My faves were the regens from FM14, ahh memories.

Interesting you say this when your avatar looks the same as the newgen faces quoted above, just with a beard :D

The problem is the variety. 

31 minutes ago, CFuller said:

No, it's the second year. FM17's faces still used 2D technology and could be customised with 2D hairpacks.

Hair packs do not really help with the faces being the same....

5230f1e4fce8ea26bcea85b3a818c68c.thumb.png.17b38ae9a577860f7af86d2e8595ab1e.png

YLL6rDh.thumb.jpg.9b4867ed882961ca2fb0fc1f4edb0da8.jpg

So from my perspective the regens have sucked since 2017.  To your point that they have only used 3D for 2 years, fine.  But this 3rd release of having horrible faces for regens is what this thread is about....

3 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Hair packs do not really help with the faces being the same.... So from my perspective the regens have sucked since 2017

That was my perspective too. I was just stating that 3D newgen faces started with FM18, not FM17.

VlOTHyy.jpg

(Click here for full image)

Hello fellow football manager players from the past. I come from the future as one of the developers of Football Manager 7.493.882.005. A lot has happened since then; allow me to tell you the status of the facegen quality among eras.

In October 2019, after several problems, the last patch was released in 31 of October. However, even with the latest patch, the faces still look rubbery (or rubbish, if you prefer).

The next two iterations saw improvements with hairstyles—such as more realistic long hair—but the faces still looked fairly unrealistic.

It remained so for a century; after that developers did a very realistic facegen update to account for the discovery of new alien species. However, that version was criticized for making the alien species too powerful, especially as defenders. They had 20 aggression, 20 bravery, 20 strength, impossible to be injured, 20 determination and over nine thousand CA and PA.

After the great war of 2270s, facegen quality took a sharp decline once more, featuring very little variance and, in some cases, human players with little skin, which developers stated was due to radiation.

Almost a century later, the facegen was still improving for the new 6D engine, which finally broke the final frontier. While it looked decent, it featured improper saturation and graphical quality. There was also criticism regarding incorrect Klingon facegen.

Two centuries later, the facegen of Football Manager 2509 was considered one of the worst ever made (inferior only to the ancient 2017, 2018 and 2019 versions, commonly referred to as the dark era), due to the low variety among hairstyles. Most of the developer work was focused on providing a variety of eye colors, as well as making sure that players had appropriate night vision in the match engine.

However, the 2800 and 2900 centuries saw great strides in facegen development, so much so that the now unified Earth Government decreed that all genetic enhancements of future babies were to be based on random results of regens created on youth intake days. However, due to a drunk developer, the great glitch of Football Manager 2999 ocurred. Mutants revolted against the non-mutant kin for better rights. As a means of reparation, Football Manager 3000 included mutant representation, including of the leader Ransik, who wanted to travel time to return to the golden era (2005-2016) of Football Manager facegen. He was stopped by the Football Manager Time Force however.

After humanity destroyed itself in 21382 with atomic fire, the Earth lay uninhabited for several eons. Our great cockroach species finally reached its peak evolution in 5.115.092.121. Football Manager 5.146.543.091 facegen was considered the best ever made, having the most realistic representation of the Cockracha species; which was fitting as this was also the year we conquered the galaxy, destroying all other filthy xenos.

The reason of this post was to commemorate Football Manager 7.493.882.005, which will be the last version to be produced on Earth. Since the Sun is close to engulfing it, I decided to write this as I prepare to go through a portal to Cackroacha (known to you as Planet Nine).

On 19/10/2018 at 18:49, GoldenGoal said:

Here's a few more, I'm starting to dislike their look honestly. Some faces look fine but others look awful. Anybody that has the beta can please post asian and african regens so we can take a look?

Very similar look on these guys, the first face also seems to have bizarre proportions. A very tiny beard and chin.

image.png.91f4c8022f924db21edec6909c7833

image.png.7f5b8309dd55e7682a27208678f8c59c.pngimage.png.05104e9f15bb9a2b1b6c99953f8b9792.png

Yeah. Congrats to SI. :applause: Well, the regen faces are better than the absolutely abysmal faces generated in FM 2018, but they are still nowhere near the "acceptable" level even. It's [still] a weak point of the game, just like the repetitive and boring press conferences for example.

2 hours ago, DP said:

Interesting you say this when your avatar looks the same as the newgen faces quoted above, just with a beard :D

The problem is the variety. 

Well yeah the avatar is my in game manager. I actually don't mind the regen faces this year. You can still turn them off as well. 

On the someone from SI or like haven't/don't comment on such, I should say Miles replied to my tweet to him on the tweeter about newgen faces.

Obviously he isn't going to agree with my, and others, view on them not being of a good enough quality, especially at this point of time, but thought I should give him credit for replying despite being in disagreement.

Still at this point, as am such a visual guy with my FM, and as FM16 for me is still good enough to play, this is game breaking as simply can't bring self to cope with the look of these or to turn pics off, as that would kill enjoyment of game even more so.

5 minutes ago, berrysi said:

Obviously he isn't going to agree with my, and others, view on them not being of a good enough quality, especially at this point of time, but thought I should give him credit for replying despite being in disagreement.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeoIab6jD9DxjJRiyT3qW

4 hours ago, CFuller said:

That is where I (and many others, I suspect) would appreciate an official response from SI. I seem to remember once asking for someone from the company to respond honestly about newgen faces when they were at their worst, but there was no response.

That's not how business works. If all business were to wait until all their products were at amazing then you will not see anything. Each year feedback is taken in and they gauge the community reaction and they go back to the drawing board. 

Titles like Football Manager, FIFA have the luxury of being able to continually upgrade for they are yearly games. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived