Do you want the Highlight Speed slider back?

Do you want the seperate Highlight Speed slider back?  

605 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the seperate Highlight Speed slider back?

• Yes!
    • No!

Hang on a moment. Two sliders controlling two different aspects of the game is MORE limiting than one that controls everything??

Really?

Do you want to buy a bridge?

Not really. :confused:

Sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly - I chose "no" because the options in the poll were limited. It's not a simple "yes" or "no" for me. I'd like to have it, but only in an Advanced Panel as described in my post. Does that make sense now?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really. :confused:

Sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly - I chose "no" because the options in the poll were limited. It's not a simple "yes" or "no" for me. I'd like to have it, but only in an Advanced Panel as described in my post. Does that make sense now?

Come on GillsMan, that is a 'yes' then. The poll has been kept very simple, 6 or 7 options is never great. I think when it has been established beyond all reasonable doubt that we all want this feature back (come on, just who are the 36 people that said 'no'??!?) then we can start determining how and where. ;)

One slider by default (to help SI save face)

The second slider to appear if ticked in preferences...

Job done.

Time wasted on focus test, changing it, reverting it and voting back something that should not have been changed - costly.

Bringing back the ability to play the game as we always have - Priceless.

One slider by default (to help SI save face)

The second slider to appear if ticked in preferences...

Job done.

Time wasted on focus test, changing it, reverting it and voting back something that should have been changed - costly.

Bringing back the ability to play the game as we always have - Priceless.

Quality. That made me chuckle! :) With that flawless post I feel this thread should be closed, the slider reinstated, and the whole tragic episode never mentioned again. A bit like a sorry Uncle who makes an a*se of himself at weddings.

Come on GillsMan, that is a 'yes' then. The poll has been kept very simple, 6 or 7 options is never great. I think when it has been established beyond all reasonable doubt that we all want this feature back (come on, just who are the 36 people that said 'no'??!?) then we can start determining how and where. ;)

The overwhelming majority of people on this forum want two sliders, correct. However, the overwhelming majority of FM players don't use this forum. It's important to keep that second point in mind.

What's more important to me, tbh, is that replays are in normal speed. It seems pointless having a replay at high speed.

Valid point. At the moment we havent the ability to set that if we want to get through the match quickly. (Some matches I will watch in a lot of detail, others I might speed through).

Yes, most users will not be on this forum. But if you explained the use of the sliders to them and the ramifications of not having both sliders, they'd probably vote to revert to the old system. Just because there are fewer people on this forum compared to the worldwide userbase, doesnt make the forum posts less valid. If anything I reckon forum posts carry more weight (when an argument is presented with reason) because we're the chaps that think long and hard (sometimes :) ) about the impact of feature changes.

Doesnt make sense why SI have got rid of it, such a bad decision to get rid of it, its alright for some people, but like me and others, i like to have game on full speed, and highlights on normal, but playing the demo makes me want to stick to FM08. The enjoyment of watching my goals in normal speed has been taken away and i find myself not enjoying match days on the FM09 demo!

SI please on the patch bring back the highlight speed slider.

The overwhelming majority of people on this forum want two sliders, correct. However, the overwhelming majority of FM players don't use this forum. It's important to keep that second point in mind.

What's more important to me, tbh, is that replays are in normal speed. It seems pointless having a replay at high speed.

Surely the most important focus testing are those on the forums, though. It is the players on the forums that report the bugs, that help with data issues and supposedly are the first ones likely to help testing. Surely, the forum people are the core?

I think the majority off the forum won't have cared if it stayed with two.

What I don't understand is, why choice wasn't kept for it. Choices are good, it helps cover bases.

you can still have the highlights on slow and match speed at full, you just go into tv mode when in a 3d highlight and click advanced, the slider for highlights is in there

Firstly, this is 3D. Not everyone uses 3D. Secondly, this is irrelevant because despite the confusing description (I thought they were trying to avoid confusion with this move :rolleyes:) the highlights slider in the advanced menu has the exact same functionality as the match speed one i.e it slows down or speeds up both match events and highlights.

the highlights slider in the advanced menu has the exact same functionality as the match speed one i.e it slows down or speeds up both match events and highlights.

That's the bit that most disappoints me - why not leave the highlight-speed slider tucked off in the "Advanced" corner where those of us who want it can still use it .. while not "confusing" the newcomer by presenting them with two sliders that look like they do the same thing?

This is true. I'd be happy with one slider to control match speed if highlights were set to normal speed. However, even if the majority of gamers don't use this forum it must still be fairly representative...? Only a small percentage of people vote in local elections but the result is still considered representative of the whole population.

I still can't really agree with SI's 'usuability studies' reason for getting rid of the 2 sliders. Seems poorly thought through and this was almost admitted when they announced it as one of the "more controversial" changes in FM 2009.

Don't find the current settings much of a problem to be honest.

Some things I would like back are the little notifications for Goals, Offsides and Fouls when viewing the match in 2D/3D. Now they only appear to show up for yellow and red cards?

At the very least I'd like it if highlights (if set to on) were to play at the normal speed and everything else at the speed determined by the one slider position...

That might be easier for them to put in (without bringing another slider back into the mix).

Anything but how it is now :)

So many people saying "yes" I really do not get it. Some people have mentioned that they watch highlights. This to me doesn't make any sense; how can you manage your team, your players and your club by only watching 50% (at most) of what your players do on the park? I How can you properly assess them and their contribution towards your club if you only watch them half the time? That to me is all the ingredients of a lazy manager.

That's like instead of going to a match in real life, preferring to watch highlights of the game on match of the day or Sky's highlight programme.

Really does not make sense.

oh ffs, its a computer game. thats right, a game!

jesus wept

Absolutely yes. I'm actually surprised so many people voted "no" as two sliders were just an option that you didn't have to use if you didn't want to or you didn't know what it was for. Merging the two sliders into one makes no sense whatsoever. What's next, removing the individual instructions to make the game less confusing for new FM players?

However, the overwhelming majority of FM players don't use this forum. It's important to keep that second point in mind.

So instead of listening to what the actual fans want, they are listening to the as-yet-unvoiced hypothetical needs of a unquantifiable fanbase?

Really?

I wouldn't mind it back if I'm honest, but it's not going to be the end of the world if they keep it as one slider. It does seem like an odd thing to take out, but as mentioned - their usability studies showed people found it confusing to have two different sliders, and I can see how that could be the case. But still, even a simple renaming to "speed between highlights" and "highlights" or something like that would've made it clearer, and then just grey out "between highlights" if you watch the full game (which it may have done previously already).

Frankly if people couldn't work out the two sliders I'm amazed that they can play the game.

Lmfao. I can just imagine it.

"Hmmm their attacking midfielder appears to be creating a little too much so I shall attempt to reign in his natural creativity by switching from a 442 into a 4132 and use my defensive midfielder solely in a tight man marking role. Perhaps I'll reduce his creativity slider all the way down and, to ensure he doesn't do anything but stay tight to his man, I will reduce his "runs with ball slider" to nothing. I'll also go into the opposition instructions section and set the marking of that AM to always be tight.

That seems to have sorted it. Now I need to plug the gap in the midfield my having my wide men drift inwards so I'll put some sarrows on them, but leave them running forwards to hopefully force their attacking midfielder to drop deep in support. Sorted!

Now if only I could work out how these match speed and highlight speed sliders worked. They're so badly named and I've tried them at both extremes without noticing a difference. My kingdom for a "one slider fits all" solution to this conundrum".

I mean, really. Yeesh.

"Hmmm their attacking midfielder appears to be creating a little too much so I shall attempt to reign in his natural creativity by switching from a 442 into a 4132 and use my defensive midfielder solely in a tight man marking role. Perhaps I'll reduce his creativity slider all the way down and, to ensure he doesn't do anything but stay tight to his man, I will reduce his "runs with ball slider" to nothing. I'll also go into the opposition instructions section and set the marking of that AM to always be tight.

That seems to have sorted it. Now I need to plug the gap in the midfield my having my wide men drift inwards so I'll put some sarrows on them, but leave them running forwards to hopefully force their attacking midfielder to drop deep in support. Sorted!

Now if only I could work out how these match speed and highlight speed sliders worked. They're so badly named and I've tried them at both extremes without noticing a difference. My kingdom for a "one slider fits all" solution to this conundrum".

I mean, really. Yeesh.

That made me laugh :D

I can't possibly tell you how disappointed I am. How could you have gotten this so wrong? Something is grievously wrong with the testing structure if what SI says is true. All my friends who play FM have the Match speed on full and Key Highlights on default (medium). That's the only way I can play FM to my liking as well.

Suggestion:

MATCH/COMMENTARY SPEED slider

HIGHLIGHTS SPEED slider

Don't tell me you couldn't think of renaming them like so for anyone who didn't know??

I'll have to stick with FM08 unless I hear you have fixed this in the patch. There's no way I can play this the way it is. Seriously guys, you have messed up BIG time. Your "research" has delivered totally inaccurate feedback.

I know I'm whining but man was I looking forward to FM2009... and now *CRASH*

I can't believe all the dictator wannabes who voted no, when it doesn't concern them either way.

whats the need for it??

Robi, many FM'ers like to watch Key Highlights or Extended Highlights only, and have the Match Commentary running at full speed so a game doesn't take aaaagggeeees.

Now, they have made the two sliders into one which means that when Highlights come up you need to click click click click click click to push the slider back to normal speed to watch the Highlights properly. Then it goes back to Match Commentary and it's click click click click click click again to make the commentary run fast.

It's a regression not progress lol. I played 3 games on the demo and gave up. It's even more of a spoiler for me than the injury bug.

If anything, if they really really want to have just one slider, the Highlight Speed should be fixed to normal instead of having both linked, so that we could play the Match Commentary on full speed without it destroying the Highlights (having them flash by so fast you can't see what's going on). But TBH having a separate Highlight Speed was an extra bonus for when stuff was taking too long (player down, player about to be sent off takes his time walking off the pitch etc).

Colonel mustard called, he said get a clue.

yeah nice one.

utter drivel every single one of your contributions to this thread.

Comparing the job of alex ferguson to a bloke sat in front of his laptop playing a computer game for an hour or two each night really sums up how ridiculous your whole argument is.

tip: stop posting.

I mean, really. Yeesh.

I think this pretty much says it all. I'm pretty curious at where SI did their research for this, Primary school perhaps? SI any comment?

To be honest I'm pretty shocked that a whole 62 people said no...how can anyone like the new all in one slider? It means you have to fiddle with it about 10 times a game, as a lot of people seem to like their match speed fast, but highlights at a normal speed. The new single slider doesn't allow for this option.

Archived