Caixa Futebol Academy: Youth Development & Adapting Tactics

4 minutes ago, ElJefe4 said:

That's this evenings reading sorted! I've been a high press 433 disciple over the past few years but looking forward to moving towards a different style of play. Less emphasis on pressing, combination of physicality and technical ability in the back 4 and double pivot and free up an attacking quartet to wreak havoc. What better side to use as inspiration than the mighty Brazil.  

Yes indeed! It's a natural next move for me. I have been obsessed with Total Football for years. The sort that was developed by the Dutch. But what is Brazilian football if not another development of that style? Same source of you go back far enough. 

Edited by crusadertsar

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, ElJefe4 said:

I'm not 100% sure that it is quite the golden generation that dominated Europe on FM18 but there's still plenty of promising young players to build around.

Defence:

Antonio Silva will undoubtedly develop into a top class ball playing centre back. Already very impressive technical ability coupled with excellent reading of the game and composure. A bit of work needed on the physical side (strength, heading), but at 19 that will come.

Silva.thumb.PNG.6e3c4a86b80b3846b0431fd855a57651.PNG

Morato's physicality and aggression compliments him perfectly. At just 19 and 21, these two will be a formidable partnership for the next decade.

Morato.thumb.PNG.a1f49bb17f59df44d239ab691fa5d552.PNG

Midfield:

A survivor from the golden generation, Florentino Luis' incredible tackling, anticipation and positioning make him a perfect foil for the more creative forward players.

Luis.thumb.PNG.96e823f52b94362797da85c8c8a26ff0.PNG

Alongside him is Enzo Fernandez. One of the hottest properties in European football right now and I'm hoping he can fulfil that potential as the heartbeat of this Benfica side.

Enzo.thumb.PNG.55a884aacfbc0365d7ca4478529ab532.PNG

Attack:

Goncalo Ramos has started like a house on fire with 18 goals in 18 games.

Ramos.thumb.PNG.d462276f1c95198ce2b2f585564e632f.PNG

At the time of writing I see these 5 as nailed on starters for a number of years, these 5 form the spine of the team that we build around. Supported by more experienced members of the squad such as Grimaldo and Gilberto at full back and Joao Mario and Rafa on the wings. You know it makes sense @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! !! 

Yes, they are looking good; particularly after the UEFA Youth League.

Also interested to see Andre Gomes in goal, Rafael Luis, Henrique Araujo and a few others. Looking very strong again :thup:

Hi guys, I’ve just loaded up a benfica save on fm23. I’m looking to do a youth development save as I’ve never really bothered with one before and this thread has inspired me to do so. I’ve noticed each squad is quite heavily loaded with players, is there a way I can clear out a lot of these players especially in the u23 u19 and B team for free or is is gonna cost me to release all the dead wood? 

Some advice about which team choose to start this type of career on Fm23.

- Chelsea: good recruitment, Havertz, Fofana, James, Odoi, Mount. Probably the issue about Premier League money, described some posts ahead.

- Arsenal: Odegaar, Saka, ESR, Martinelli, Patino, Vieira, Saliba. Good recruitment too and probably same issues about money.

- FC Inter: Company status is similar to Benfica (one of the big of the country, ability to sell players without enforce a rival). Good recruitment system. But terrible status of the squad. No youngster.

Which one?

Probably AC Milan is better positioned than Inter in this contest, (Theo, Leao, Kalulu, Tonali, De Ketelaere)....but as Inter fan I cannot.....

Edited by Ivan787

• 4 weeks later...
Am 8.11.2022 um 11:52 schrieb Ivan787:

Some advice about which team choose to start this type of career on Fm23.

- Chelsea: good recruitment, Havertz, Fofana, James, Odoi, Mount. Probably the issue about Premier League money, described some posts ahead.

- Arsenal: Odegaar, Saka, ESR, Martinelli, Patino, Vieira, Saliba. Good recruitment too and probably same issues about money.

- FC Inter: Company status is similar to Benfica (one of the big of the country, ability to sell players without enforce a rival). Good recruitment system. But terrible status of the squad. No youngster.

Which one?

Probably AC Milan is better positioned than Inter in this contest, (Theo, Leao, Kalulu, Tonali, De Ketelaere)....but as Inter fan I cannot.....

1860 Munich 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, ElJefe4 said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! inspired 433 still working well on FM23!

image.png.5e2a7bedaec3ed84f832cb6b49b57718.png

image.png.3b9812d17880830b06c7b85800763a1c.png

image.png.00ae193c74059d58dc06de570db78c31.png

image.thumb.png.14ca569506221d2b6067ea8fdfee7442.png

You inspired me to go back to my Benfica save and try this out again. I tried and failed earlier in the year to get this very fluid 4-3-3 to work. 

Early performances and results are good. Anything you would change for tricky away games? Particularly in the Champions League. 

Some ideas I’ve had to make it a bit more solid in those matches is to drop the mentality to Balanced and make a couple tweaks to TIs but nothing drastic as I don’t want to change the philosophy too much. 

1 hour ago, Fantasista10 said:

You inspired me to go back to my Benfica save and try this out again. I tried and failed earlier in the year to get this very fluid 4-3-3 to work. 

Early performances and results are good. Anything you would change for tricky away games? Particularly in the Champions League. 

Some ideas I’ve had to make it a bit more solid in those matches is to drop the mentality to Balanced and make a couple tweaks to TIs but nothing drastic as I don’t want to change the philosophy too much. 

Yeah, I've had similar ideas to you really. From a team perspective I'd drop to Positive or Balanced, drop the tempo down a notch, push time wasting up to sometimes, maybe drop to a mid block out of possession. I can't claim to have mastered Europe yet though so can't say for certain on any of this. We finished with 6 wins and 2 defeats in the weird initial league phase. Losses were 2-1 away at Real Madrid and a heavy 3-0 away at Arsenal. Got the knockout stages coming up soon so that'll be a test.

From a player perspective I'd also change my DM to a Defend duty against stronger sides.

Only other regular change I make is to change Florentino Luis (DM) to a Half Back and change Andre (DR) to a wing back if we are playing against a 2 striker formation. Ensures we have a numerical advantage in the first phase and means we build up in more of a 343. Joao Neves (MCR) has attacking PIs so depending on the opposition, score line etc you may wish to remove these so that he plays like a more traditional central midfield player given that the DM will be deeper than usual. Otherwise your other MC (Fernandez for me) may become a bit isolated and could get overrun. 

For anyone else who is interested, the PIs are as follows:
- Antonio Silva (DCR) - Dribble More. Takes advantage of his player trait 'Brings Ball Out Of Defence'. Useful in drawing opposition players out of position when they want to sit off and not engage.

SilvaDribble.gif.12ab89d99052f7d593bef9bcfe9cc202.gif

- Alex Grimaldo (DL) - Stay Wider. Ensures we always have someone stretching the play on our left hand side.
- Florentino Luis (DM) - Hold Position. Could just change to a Defend duty and have this hard-coded but I like having him on Support. He's that bit more positive in possession and again, despite the Player Instruction he will occasionally move forward and unsettle an opposition defence slightly. Also more likely to step a bit higher when pressing, which I find useful given that it can still be difficult to get proper pressure on an opposition DM when they set up in a 433 themselves.
- Joao Neves (MCR) - Get Further Forward, Move Into Channels, Roam From Position. Similar to O-Zil's 'free 8s'. He's given plenty of creative freedom thanks to Luis and Enzo remaining disciplined in midfield and Andre (DR) being slightly more conservative than Grimaldo. Take More Risks and Dribble More would also be potential options, depending on the player. 
- Marcos Leonardo (AML) & Endrick (AMR) - Sit Narrower. Logic is obvious, gets them moving into the space vacated by Ramos (ST, F9). The player trait for beating the offside trap is also really useful.

Speaking of beating the offside trap, I also find it to be a really good trait for a False 9 to possess. Ramos has it for this Benfica side. He will drop deep and create the central overload in midfield, but is also a genuine threat in behind as well. He has 0.89 goals per 90 this season. 

Edited by ElJefe4

5 hours ago, ElJefe4 said:

Yeah, I've had similar ideas to you really. From a team perspective I'd drop to Positive or Balanced, drop the tempo down a notch, push time wasting up to sometimes, maybe drop to a mid block out of possession. I can't claim to have mastered Europe yet though so can't say for certain on any of this. We finished with 6 wins and 2 defeats in the weird initial league phase. Losses were 2-1 away at Real Madrid and a heavy 3-0 away at Arsenal. Got the knockout stages coming up soon so that'll be a test.

From a player perspective I'd also change my DM to a Defend duty against stronger sides.

Only other regular change I make is to change Florentino Luis (DM) to a Half Back and change Andre (DR) to a wing back if we are playing against a 2 striker formation. Ensures we have a numerical advantage in the first phase and means we build up in more of a 343. Joao Neves (MCR) has attacking PIs so depending on the opposition, score line etc you may wish to remove these so that he plays like a more traditional central midfield player given that the DM will be deeper than usual. Otherwise your other MC (Fernandez for me) may become a bit isolated and could get overrun. 

For anyone else who is interested, the PIs are as follows:
- Antonio Silva (DCR) - Dribble More. Takes advantage of his player trait 'Brings Ball Out Of Defence'. Useful in drawing opposition players out of position when they want to sit off and not engage.

SilvaDribble.gif.12ab89d99052f7d593bef9bcfe9cc202.gif

- Alex Grimaldo (DL) - Stay Wider. Ensures we always have someone stretching the play on our left hand side.
- Florentino Luis (DM) - Hold Position. Could just change to a Defend duty and have this hard-coded but I like having him on Support. He's that bit more positive in possession and again, despite the Player Instruction he will occasionally move forward and unsettle an opposition defence slightly. Also more likely to step a bit higher when pressing, which I find useful given that it can still be difficult to get proper pressure on an opposition DM when they set up in a 433 themselves.
- Joao Neves (MCR) - Get Further Forward, Move Into Channels, Roam From Position. Similar to O-Zil's 'free 8s'. He's given plenty of creative freedom thanks to Luis and Enzo remaining disciplined in midfield and Andre (DR) being slightly more conservative than Grimaldo. Take More Risks and Dribble More would also be potential options, depending on the player. 
- Marcos Leonardo (AML) & Endrick (AMR) - Sit Narrower. Logic is obvious, gets them moving into the space vacated by Ramos (ST, F9). The player trait for beating the offside trap is also really useful.

Speaking of beating the offside trap, I also find it to be a really good trait for a False 9 to possess. Ramos has it for this Benfica side. He will drop deep and create the central overload in midfield, but is also a genuine threat in behind as well. He has 0.89 goals per 90 this season. 

Those are the same sort of tweaks I typically make, although I’m always nervous about going too negative. That’s a good result in the UCL though - 6 wins is impressive! 

I like the approach of changing your build up shape/approach depending on the opponent. It’s something I always like the idea of, but never seem to bother doing. Do you notice it help, or can it be more of a hindrance? 

That run and dribble from Antonio Silva btw…my word! 

Tempted to start a save with Braga, have some highly technical players and could be fun to take inspiration from this excellent thread with a youth heavy/DNA save whilst trying to end the dominance of Portgual’s Big 3! 

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Screenshot_20240421_125739_Chrome.jpg.658b8932f70b96feea90092f5a5c19d2.jpg

On 27/11/2020 at 05:25, milestobudapest said:

Me too. Always coming back and reading it again. I don’t think you can truly understand the impact this thread has had on many of us.  @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

Defently my favorite thread ever, @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! really made me enjoy and understand FM alot more that I used to.

Edited by davidpop