Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

3 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Dundalk have just beaten Maccabi Tel Aviv after drawing away at AZ in their first Europa group game. It genuinely feels like something out of these forums...

Funnily enough, in trying to plan teams to do a save with in 2017, I was thinking of Dundalk(Ireland's seasons are annoying though since they don't follow standard European times) or an Israeli team, though I'd want one from Jerusalem rather than Tel Aviv.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Funnily enough, in trying to plan teams to do a save with in 2017, I was thinking of Dundalk(Ireland's seasons are annoying though since they don't follow standard European times) or an Israeli team, though I'd want one from Jerusalem rather than Tel Aviv.

I think a LOI save would be really good fun, personally. I've toyed with the idea of doing a save somewhere in Wales/Ireland/Northern Ireland before, although I've never actually done one properly. Something about the weaker Home Nations countries really appeals to me.

31 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

I think a LOI save would be really good fun, personally. I've toyed with the idea of doing a save somewhere in Wales/Ireland/Northern Ireland before, although I've never actually done one properly. Something about the weaker Home Nations countries really appeals to me.

NI seems quite interesting, especially as despite the top league being so lowly ranked there's still 4 divisions to cut through if you fancy it.

5 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

NI seems quite interesting, especially as despite the top league being so lowly ranked there's still 4 divisions to cut through if you fancy it.

I had an amazing save in NI with Lisburn Rangers doing the Gundo Challenge back in about FM12/13/14. It really re-invigourated my enjoyment of the game. If you are up for a longer-term save then you will love it.

6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I had an amazing save in NI with Lisburn Rangers doing the Gundo Challenge back in about FM12/13/14. It really re-invigourated my enjoyment of the game. If you are up for a longer-term save then you will love it.

It's definitely something I'll look at when 17 is out. Maybe even go mad and try youth only like some of the spectacular threads we've had this year.

25 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

It's definitely something I'll look at when 17 is out. Maybe even go mad and try youth only like some of the spectacular threads we've had this year.

FMT or go to the Dark Side? ;)

2 minutes ago, Maw74 said:

FMT or go to the Dark Side? ;)

Ideally FMT, it depends on if they've rebalanced how many newgens FMT teams generate, and hopefully tutoring(seeing great prospects personalities ruined by the ass man is annoying).

3 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Has the 'edit' function vanished? 

EDIT: Nope, clearly not... but it seems to have done so on my thread. For some reason, I can't edit my latest posts. 

Yeah I can't edit.

EDIT - So I can actually edit this post but not my previous post or posts in my thread.

57 minutes ago, Maw74 said:

Yeah it's not good for update threads.

but it's good for the website, instead of an updated existing post, it gets a new post, thus more content, more traffic;)

45 minutes ago, deltablue said:

It's been in place since the forum migration, apparently.

What date was that? as I can't remember now.

I edited my OP in this thread on Sept 3rd, also was able to edit later posts until recently.

Just checked and the 30 minute thing has only been recent as this post (21st) was edited on 24th.

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

The migration was late in July, so it's odd that it's just coming up now. People in the Stories forum are also finding it a pain.

Definitely only noticed it today. In my end of season summary I often use edit as I leave things like player of the year as TBC, and I've been able to go back to them even after the migration.

2 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Which posts can you guys edit? All of them or is there a difference between being able to edit posts from before and after the migration?

Just checked my old thread and I can't edit that any more, so I can only edit brand new posts.

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

Which posts can you guys edit? All of them or is there a difference between being able to edit posts from before and after the migration?

Can't edit any posts before or after migration.

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

@Andy Sava's Dinamo Bucharest side. He's reached the Champions League final once but has just fallen short of winning it.

ah yes! somehow slipped my mind, cheers!

@Andy Sava, how would you rate your experience managing in Romania mate, does the league tend to go upwards on the rankings through the years? I'm planning a new save with Universitatea Cluj and I'm just wondering if managing there is as counter-productive as in IRL :D merci anticipat ;)

Not happy. :mad:

I was all set for FM17. I was going to be managing HK in Iceland and the idea was to play a similar sort of save to my Partizan one, but I have hit an insurmountable stumbling block. It seems then in Iceland, when you are offering a contract, you are not allowed to offer a clause that allows the club to take up 1, 2, or year even 3 year option on the player at any time within the contract. I rely so heavily on the abuse of that, that I just don't think I can run that type of save without it. In addition to that, there is no Reserve team football in Iceland. :seagull:

My options now are.....

• Run the Partizan save again, but this time start from the outset rather than waiting until April to start. (Did I really not start that save until April?) :( 
  • Do something Welsh related that involves both the Welsh structure, but also Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay & Merthyr Tydfil in the ENglish structure, (and possibly the Welsh NT too if everything else goes well). 
  • Do something Youth related in Italy. I love the 12 subs but I'm not sure I can play in Italy and not manage San Marino and I'm not even sure San Marino aore going to be playable after holidaying next season. :(
  • I was quite looking forward to Scandinavia and I'm tempted to manage there, (and maybe still even start in Iceland), but just not make it so Youth orientated until such time as I can make it work with the rules and regulations that exist. 
  • Gibraltar is an option again. I'm not sure how quickly SI release the Gibraltar update, but I could theoretically hang on for that, (but don't really want to).
  • I'm a Barnet fan so as much as I want to shy away from England, they could just be enough to lure me in. I haven't managed them in quite a while, (and never seriously), so maybe this is an option. But England???
  • I've never managed long-term in South America and I would love to play there and learn a little bit more about it. (ARG), (BRA), (CHI), (COL), (PER) & (URU) might be a good little basis for a journeyman save. (But is that really me?)
  • BY the same token, Asia looks interesting in so much as I have only played there a little, but that doesn't make it interesting actually, it just means I haven'y played there much. The player names would drive me bonkers!
  • Scotland.
  • Hungary.
  • Regensburg again, (I have unfinished business there).
  • Southern France lower league is something that has always been on the horizon. (Think of all those Africans coming through the Youth Intake each season!)

Damn. I was all set and knew exactly where I was going and had already created my opening post and now..... nothing. :idiot:

You could try cloning John Akinde 11 times and doing a career like that :lol: 

On a serious note:

Would you want to do the same thing twice in a row? It seems to me like if you'd started a month or two earlier, you'd have already accomplished most of what you wanted with Partizan. I'm not sure it'd be worthwhile doing it again.

I do like the idea of a Welsh save, I have to admit. It's something I've toyed with the idea of.

Like you said, you couldn't really do something in Italy and ignore San Marino Calcio. Too close to home :lol: 

Scandinavia is an interesting one. Lots of underperforming nations there, IMO.

South America and Asia are never really countries I've considered, to be honest. For me (and it might well be different for you), if I'm doing a club save, the ultimate goal is the European Champions League, and so I don't want to manage anywhere that's not going to be possible.

Scotland could be interesting. They clearly need all the help they can get.

Hungary is a very interesting one. Could you breed a second spell of Hungarian dominance?

Just to throw an extra option into the mix... you're always welcome in the Sammarinese domestic leagues ;) 

12 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I've often looked at Finland, seems interesting, but something keeps stopping me from taking the plunge. Hungary similarly.

I'm usually put off Finland by the lack of restrictions within your squad (I think the only restriction is you must have no more than three non EU players, IIRC) while in Norway and Sweden it is much tighter. I have very little self-control when signing players, so it being curbed by the league restrictions does me the world of good, usually. 

20 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

I'm usually put off Finland by the lack of restrictions within your squad (I think the only restriction is you must have no more than three non EU players, IIRC) while in Norway and Sweden it is much tighter. I have very little self-control when signing players, so it being curbed by the league restrictions does me the world of good, usually. 

I usually play Classic/Touch anyway, which sadly in most leagues and competitions doesn't incorporate the restrictions, so I have to force myself if I want to play with limits.

27 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I usually play Classic/Touch anyway, which sadly in most leagues and competitions doesn't incorporate the restrictions, so I have to force myself if I want to play with limits.

Ah, fair enough. 

2 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Would you want to do the same thing twice in a row? It seems to me like if you'd started a month or two earlier, you'd have already accomplished most of what you wanted with Partizan. I'm not sure it'd be worthwhile doing it again.

No. I don't particularly like the idea of doing something again, but I suppose I feel I haven't even got close to finishing the Partizan save. 

I'm going to have to wait and see if I'm inspired by someone and something I think.

As for Big John, there can be only one. :herman:

Going back a couple of pages to the NI discussion.. it's interesting. This is the first time I've done it properly, and it's a really difficult place for a youth-based game. Everything is non-contract so there is no income to be made from sales (for a good number of years, anyway), the cups do not offer much prize money and it is a struggle as your players are generally terrible. I'm five years in and all of my facilities are still exactly the same as they were when I joined, the bank balance is practically identical to when I started, and I don't envisage that changing until I (somehow) reach European football.

Just looked back at the last few pages and everyone mentioning the old footy games they've played over the years. It almost brought a tear to my eye.

All those hours spent on the original Football manager, Football Director, Tracksuit Manager, The Boss, The Double, Footballer Of The Year, Ultimate Soccer Manager and such. Such wonderful memories. :D

On 09/10/2016 at 14:45, Jimbokav1971 said:

Not happy. :mad:

I was all set for FM17. I was going to be managing HK in Iceland and the idea was to play a similar sort of save to my Partizan one, but I have hit an insurmountable stumbling block. It seems then in Iceland, when you are offering a contract, you are not allowed to offer a clause that allows the club to take up 1, 2, or year even 3 year option on the player at any time within the contract. I rely so heavily on the abuse of that, that I just don't think I can run that type of save without it. In addition to that, there is no Reserve team football in Iceland. :seagull:

My options now are.....

• Run the Partizan save again, but this time start from the outset rather than waiting until April to start. (Did I really not start that save until April?) :( 
  • Do something Welsh related that involves both the Welsh structure, but also Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay & Merthyr Tydfil in the ENglish structure, (and possibly the Welsh NT too if everything else goes well). 
  • Do something Youth related in Italy. I love the 12 subs but I'm not sure I can play in Italy and not manage San Marino and I'm not even sure San Marino aore going to be playable after holidaying next season. :(
  • I was quite looking forward to Scandinavia and I'm tempted to manage there, (and maybe still even start in Iceland), but just not make it so Youth orientated until such time as I can make it work with the rules and regulations that exist. 
  • Gibraltar is an option again. I'm not sure how quickly SI release the Gibraltar update, but I could theoretically hang on for that, (but don't really want to).
  • I'm a Barnet fan so as much as I want to shy away from England, they could just be enough to lure me in. I haven't managed them in quite a while, (and never seriously), so maybe this is an option. But England???
  • I've never managed long-term in South America and I would love to play there and learn a little bit more about it. (ARG), (BRA), (CHI), (COL), (PER) & (URU) might be a good little basis for a journeyman save. (But is that really me?)
  • BY the same token, Asia looks interesting in so much as I have only played there a little, but that doesn't make it interesting actually, it just means I haven'y played there much. The player names would drive me bonkers!
  • Scotland.
  • Hungary.
  • Regensburg again, (I have unfinished business there).
  • Southern France lower league is something that has always been on the horizon. (Think of all those Africans coming through the Youth Intake each season!)

Damn. I was all set and knew exactly where I was going and had already created my opening post and now..... nothing. :idiot:

I was sitting having a poo and thinking of FM today at work, (as you do), and it struck me......

I bet the Icelandic team I was managing, (HK), are not a Pro club yet and that's why I couldn't offer a contract with an option clause in. :idiot:

Assuming that's the issue, (and it seems pretty reasonable), then my Iceland plan isn't dead at all. All I have to do is crank up the Iceland save again, (which I obviously deleted I think!), and take over one of the professional clubs, (if there are any), and see if I can offer a contract with an option clause in while managing an Icelandic Pro club. 

I'm such a donut! :rolleyes:

[Edit]

Must admit that I had decided on going back to Serbia and doing a "proper" full Partizan save. Now I'm torn again.

7 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I was sitting having a poo and thinking of FM today at work, (as you do), and it struck me......

I bet the Icelandic team I was managing, (HK), are not a Pro club yet and that's why I couldn't offer a contract with an option clause in. :idiot:

Assuming that's the issue, (and it seems pretty reasonable), then my Iceland plan isn't dead at all. All I have to do is crank up the Iceland save again, (which I obviously deleted I think!), and take over one of the professional clubs, (if there are any), and see if I can offer a contract with an option clause in while managing an Icelandic Pro club. 

I'm such a donut! :rolleyes:

[Edit]

Must admit that I had decided on going back to Serbia and doing a "proper" full Partizan save. Now I'm torn again.

There aren't any pro clubs in Iceland, fella. 

21 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

There aren't any pro clubs in Iceland, fella. 

Just use the Editor and try.

I have two questions about Iceland because I obviously considered playing there after the Euros: What are the restrictions on foreign players? How long until a player from other nation is elegible for the Iceland National Team?

1 minute ago, jengaehassim said:

Just use the Editor and try.

I have two questions about Iceland because I obviously considered playing there after the Euros: What are the restrictions on foreign players? How long until a player from other nation is elegible for the Iceland National Team?

1. I don't use the editor.

2. It's 7 years for non-Scandinavians and 4 years for Scandinavians. 

* Interestingly, (at least to me because it's not common at all), being born in Iceland does not automatically grant you Icelandic citizenship. (It can, but not as a rule). Of more significance is the Nationality of Mother and Father, (and whether or not they were married when the child was conceived). 

3. If you are married to, (or in a recognised union with), an Icelandic citizen, then requirement is reduced to 3 years, (but the relationship has to be 4 years old and the spouse must have been a citizen for 5 years. (complicated?)

There are multiple other sub-rules. 

Archived