TOUCHLINE SHOUTS

I love the feature.  I've come to believe that properly used within a match CAN make a difference. 

But one is definitely missing and needed desperately.  

Word it how you want, but this is what I yell at my laptop and wish those little etheral figures could hear me:

"TAKE CARE OF THE BALL!!!!!"

Well you see nothing from them, I've never seen something actually change. Even a comment 'Oenone was spurring us on from the touchline!' Would show once in a while if it made a difference. 

I've never felt it's made an impact. Half time talks though,  definitely, coming back from 3-0 down against West Ham as Wolves in first season to win 5-3 and go on to progress through Carabao Cup and beat Arsenal. That was a great performance. 

I think the shouts mostly affect body language. Now I don’t think a shout will have much impact on body language, and body language might have very little overall effect on performance. However, if you have a player on a yellow card who “seems aggressive”, even if asking him to calm down only works 1% of the time, if it avoids a second yellow it’s perfect. 

Encouraging a striker who “looks nervous” will very rarely help him score if he goes 1 on 1 a minute later, but again that 1% boost might just do the trick. I’m not sure about some of the team shouts. I thought I read on this forum once they didn’t really change PI’s or TI’s but simply boosted body language for certain players. Something like

Get Forward - improves forwards body language 

Get Creative - improves midfielders body language 

Tighten Up - improves defenders body language. 

It feels like it has more impact this year. When I make a touchline shout, there often immediately follows a match highlight. It could just be coincidence, but with every match I'm becoming increasingly convinced.

I think we need 2 more:

1. get the ball in the opposition box. Oh how I enjoy being a goal down with seconds ticking away during the last minute or 2 of extra time to watch my player lazily chase back to get a cleared ball

2. Clear the ball to corners / dribble to the corner flag / waste time. I know there is a team instruction but I have NEVER seen a player dribble to the corner flag and nonce about as we do in real life

53 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

I think we need 2 more:

1. get the ball in the opposition box. Oh how I enjoy being a goal down with seconds ticking away during the last minute or 2 of extra time to watch my player lazily chase back to get a cleared ball

2. Clear the ball to corners / dribble to the corner flag / waste time. I know there is a team instruction but I have NEVER seen a player dribble to the corner flag and nonce about as we do in real life

#1 is overload, more risks, pump ball into the box, max tempo, long ball - I use it regularly (and often to good effect)!

29 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

@phnompenhandy Next time you are on overload in extra time watch how your players stroll around the pitch / half heartedly chase cleared balls, take ages with set pieces :)

I have managed to score in the last 15 secs of extra time I will admit which did get me excitable ;)

Yeah, there's definitely far too much of that despite the exciting overload action!

On 19/12/2017 at 05:03, HUNT3R said:

You can SEE the effects it has if you look. It affects Body Language, as it should. The effects aren't as "big" as normal team talks, so don't expect big changes.

I don't think I've ever seen it affect body language. I've never seen "Calm > Reassure" make a player stop being nervous or "Assertive > Calm Down" stop making a player look aggressive or anything else. I still use the shouts but can't say I've ever seen it change body language.

16 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

I don't think I've ever seen it affect body language. I've never seen "Calm > Reassure" make a player stop being nervous or "Assertive > Calm Down" stop making a player look aggressive or anything else. I still use the shouts but can't say I've ever seen it change body language.

The effects aren't going to huge, but I've seen players change from Complacent to Composed etc, although obviously not always because it'll depend on where on the scale (just HOW complacent/aggressive/Nervous) they are.

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

The effects aren't going to huge, but I've seen players change from Complacent to Composed etc, although obviously not always because it'll depend on where on the scale (just HOW complacent/aggressive/Nervous) they are.

Do you mean on the body language screen, or in the ME you see your boys stop biting their nails and start strutting around the pitch with a swagger?  :-)

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Do you mean on the body language screen, or in the ME you see your boys stop biting their nails and start strutting around the pitch with a swagger?  :-)

Body Language widget.

34 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Bogus feature. "Concentrate" and "tighen up" USED to work after my scoring a goal, but since FM17 I find it useless. I still use sideline shouts but don't see any difference in the match. 

:thdn:

... it sounds like you used these shouts instead of tactical adjustments, which would be (obviously) far more important. It could be that you're finding it "useless" now because the AI is better.

33 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

... it sounds like you used these shouts instead of tactical adjustments, which would be (obviously) far more important. It could be that you're finding it "useless" now because the AI is better.

There's a TI for "tighten up", but 'concentrate'? I use it myself for the defence when holding a slim lead.

An issue for me is how clumsy the SHOUT system is in FM18. I need that many damn clicks that the screen usually disappears before I can activate the last one; by the time I'm ready to shout the final whistle has gone. Sure there must be a way of SHOUTING that is more streamlined than that??

5 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

There's a TI for "tighten up", but 'concentrate'? I use it myself for the defence when holding a slim lead.

I think you've missed the point. It's all fine and well shouting Concentrate if you want that very slight boost to concentration to not make mistakes. Touchline shouts are only going to alter Body Language... their mental state. If I'm using a 4-2-4 with everyone on Attack duties, no amount of shouting will provide a tighter defence. Exaggerated example, but I'm sure I've made my point. If you just scored, the opposition will change their setup. They will try and get a goal back. The number one job as manager is to make sure the system can cope against the increase in numbers committing forward.

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

An issue for me is how clumsy the SHOUT system is in FM18. I need that many damn clicks that the screen usually disappears before I can activate the last one; by the time I'm ready to shout the final whistle has gone. Sure there must be a way of SHOUTING that is more streamlined than that??

I just click the shout and it does it for the team..also pause with space do the shout then unpause 🤨

On 16/12/2017 at 17:36, Saint_Lane said:

I use them occasionally too. Encourage after conceding a goal. Demand more when 2-0 up and not wanting complacency to creep in. Concentrate / Tighten up in last 10 to protect a lead.

Maybe a placebo effect of course!!

Why would demand more when you are winning 2-0?:eek:

What do you do then, when your team is losing 2-0? Get a rifle and directly shoot at the players?

2 hours ago, BigRoboCrouch said:

Why would demand more when you are winning 2-0:eek:?

What do you do then, when your team is losing 2-0? Get a rifle and directly shoot at the players?

If i'm losing 2-0 its rarely to do with my players. It means I've made a tactical faux pas and need to look at myself rather than them. Or i am up against a superior team and its par for the course.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Why wouldn't you? It'll help those complacent players.

Spot on.

18 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Why wouldn't you? It'll help those complacent players.

Wouldn't the concentrate shout be much more appropriate then?

Demanding more when your team is already doing more than good doesn't make sense imo (and irl players would probably think the manager is stupid). Not losing your focus when victory seems ensured is far more logical imo.

Demanding more in theory should be more suited for when you are the better team but are not showing your superiority, or in those days when you are not producing your usual number of chances (i know you can do more so i shout that i want more from you).

8 minutes ago, BigRoboCrouch said:

Demanding more when your team is already doing more than good doesn't make sense imo (and irl players would probably think the manager is stupid). Not losing your focus when victory seems ensured is far more logical imo.

Demanding more in theory should be more suited for when you are the better team but are not showing your superiority, or in those days when you are not producing your usual number of chances (i know you can do more so i shout that i want more from you).

It makes a lot of sense. What happens when players are complacent? They don't put as much effort in anymore as the game is won. That's why I demand more.

Archived