How will you authenticate FM2009?

How Will You Authenticate FM2009?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. How Will You Authenticate FM2009?

• STEAM
    • Online Authentication
    • Telephone Registration
    • Wont buy the game because of this new method

Well I'm not hiding anything but I have never bought a game yet where you have to go through the procedures outlined by SI and i'm not starting now simple as that I have no desire to do that.

I am a long standing fan of the game (You will notice I have been a member since 2003) and the direction they are taking with this game is not for me.

ok fair enough but assume that the authentication process is simply: a window comes up that says enter the authentication code in the booklet. and thats it. then you can play the game on that computer without the disk or even having to be connected to the internet.

if it happens like that (which it might) does that still put you off? if it does then it looks like your gonna have to find another game to get addicted to ;)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck on the day of release trying to get through to SEGA on the phones all at once

My previous experience of activating a product over the phone (numerous xp and office installations) is that you don't speak to a person at all, unless there's a significant problem (like it's the 6th time you've tried to install that software :p). It's all done automatically, and if FM'09 is the same then I really don't anticipate trouble getting through.

I suspect the vast majority of people will simply activate it online though, and the only ones using the phone will be those using firewalled networks (like those in halls of residence) or those without an internet connection, which in this day and age is a small minority.

ok fair enough but assume that the authentication process is simply: a window comes up that says enter the authentication code in the booklet. and thats it. then you can play the game on that computer without the disk or even having to be connected to the internet.

if it happens like that (which it might) does that still put you off? if it does then it looks like your gonna have to find another game to get addicted to ;)

I'm happy to continue playing FM2008.

Well I'm not hiding anything but I have never bought a game yet where you have to go through the procedures outlined by SI

I have.

Bioshock, Company of Heroes & Half Life and the rest of its stable. I've never had a problem playing any of those games, or installing them. In fact, 20 seconds for the game to authenticate itself over the internet is much better than messing abut with some random chain of 30 characters where you have to work out if they are case sensitive, if it's a "1", a "I" or a "l", or a "0" or a "O".

I really like the fact I can log into my account and play Company of Heroes without having to find the game disk. The same benefit for FM'09 is something I've wanted for years.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain WHY this is such a bad way to activate a game?

So you can't buy a CD? if no, can i download fm on my pc and still be able to ue it on the laptop?:confused:

You can still buy the disk. If you bought it through steam you could download it to both your lappy and your desktop.

I'm happy to continue playing FM2008.

lol thats a good answer, i spose i hadnt even considered that some people are happy with their current game(s). personally i get sucked into the hype surrounding the new features and updated teams etc. it seems like a weak reason alone to not buy the game but as long as you're happy ;)

obviously its your choice whether you buy the game or not for whatever reason, but id like to understand what is not ok with you about the online or telephone method of authenticating the game? what about it will actually turn you off the purchase?

I'd be very interested to hear why you're not willing to make a phone call at local rates, connect the game over the internet (once) or associate it with Steam? What bothers you about this?

I explained pretty thoroughly in another thread exactly why I feel that this DRM is such a step in the wrong direction that I refuse to support it:

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=1880579&postcount=30

As can be seen from all the discussions here, some people hate having to insert the disc to play, while other people (including me) hate the activation business.

So I guess what I don't understand is, why not do it like this:

People that don't like to use the disc => digital downloads / Steam.

People that don't like activations => Normal disc check, like previous years.

So simple, and everyone would most likely be happy.

you can activate it on another computer...and use 1 of the installs on the pc you will be playing it with....thats what i need to do coz i wont be playing the game on the this computer i use for everyday use

As far as I know, you have to activate the game on the computer it's installed on if you choose Steam/Online authentication.

I explained pretty thoroughly in another thread exactly why I feel that this DRM is such a step in the wrong direction that I refuse to support it:

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=1880579&postcount=30

As can be seen from all the discussions here, some people hate having to insert the disc to play, while other people (including me) hate the activation business.

So I guess what I don't understand is, why not do it like this:

People that don't like to use the disc => digital downloads / Steam.

People that don't like activations => Normal disc check, like previous years.

So simple, and everyone would most likely be happy.

there has to be a way to keep everyone happy. i agree with your method. perhaps a way to install the game with just the disk at the start and then never have to use the disk again. fm08 doesnt need to disk to play, only to start the game each time. so why now have they not just used the disk on install then remove the disk. ok maybe you could install and then sell the disk or return it but you will be able to sell the game now on ebay after doing this and the person who buys it will just have 4 computers to download to instead of 5. thats not a hint by the way...

you HAVE to authenticate it this time around. an online authentication will take 30secs according to SI.

you can always leave the disk in if you like (just for old times sake) it just wont be needed ;)

Thats stupid!

I have no need to play without the disc, it's the only disc I use.

I could use that 30 seconds to go the toilet! Now I'm going to miss out on 30 seconds of FM time to go to the loo!

Thanks for the reply, though:)

Its a dark road developers are going down, thats why people wont buy the game. If you can't hypothesise what will happen then you have no imagination (PAY PER PLAY springs to mind).

well if FM ever got to a pay per play system im sure they would lose most of their players. i for one could never afford it based on how much i play! however, its not like it is that restricting at the moment. i will keep buying fm until it really does get unfair, but for now it just isnt a problem

"Spore: Most Pirated Game Ever Thanks to DRM" http://torrentfreak.com/spore-most-pirated-game-ever-thanks-to-drm-080913/

SI u want this ? :(

If people actually took the time to read and understand the system SI have implemented then there shouldn't be any reason to not buy FM09. If you make sure you uninstall it, then you get back an install

In previous years you could install on infinite computers, but had to have the CD in the drive to play. This time 5 people in your house can play it at the same time with no DVD (even if it is technically not allowed) so surely this system benefits us more?

Honestly, what are the chances of your computer breaking 5 times thus not allowing you to uninstall FM each time? Pretty remote I'd say

So if this turns people to pirating, then they really are intellectually challenged

If people actually took the time to read and understand the system SI have implemented then there shouldn't be any reason to not buy FM09. If you make sure you uninstall it, then you get back an install

Some people like me still play older versions of FM. Are you sure that these people 5-10 years from now haven't used up all these 5 installs by forgetting to uninstall, hardware failure, etc. ?

What if 3 years from now SI is taken over by some other company that doesn't care about the old customers, and close down the activation servers?

All these things can potentially prevent me from playing a game that I have bought. That can't be right.

Then there's the fact that if someone has, as an example, 10 games installed that needs to be properly uninstalled, then reinstalling windows might easily take 50 minutes longer than it should. That can't be right. Who will compensate me for having to spend such a long time on some DRM stuff that I never asked for?

The only reason to cause costumers all this inconvenience and all these potential problems, is to try and stop piracy, which no DRM has ever managed to do anyway.

I really don't think you understand how this works. They've made it very accessible to everyone who plays the game and they've made sure it is a fair method. There's absolutely nothing intrusive about it to threaten privacy - the only thing that it takes is a code. once you've done it once you don't ever have to be online with the game again - if you do it over the phone you never have to be online.

First of all...I've heard that if you are online...when you are playing 3D you can see change in boards around the pitch (downloading new advertisement while you are playing). I don't know is it true, but if it is...I don't like it at all. I don't care for their advertisement.

The second thing I don't like is that If I want to reinstall system for example (very often, few times a year)...I have to unistall game first. Imagine if all have such policies, so that you have to manually uninstall 100 programs for example. Also, when you install again, you again have to authenticate.

And last, if it's true that you don't have to have CD and that you don't have to be online ever after first authetication, the most obvious thing that will happen is that 5 people will bought one game, cause SI can't know who is playing FM if people are not online (and if they are, they don't have legal rights to see what people are doing on their computers). The better anty-piracy measure is to have CD in drive.

...and one more thing. If I understand it right, everytime you install game, you have to authenticate it. Well I installed some of my games even 10 times until now, whenever I want (for a few hours of enjoyement for example). Imagine if I have to authenticate every single one whenever I have wish to play it for one hour for example. Or if I want to play FM09 next year for couple of hours...and want to install it for several hours. Just thinking that I have to makea phonecall makes me very angry.

im sorry but i just fail to understand why people always have to make a huge thing about whatever sigames do!

Before people argued that the game was never developed with new features just a data update, so sigames bring out a game with so many new features that i might even have to read the manual! :D

Then sigames bring out a registration that take 30secs and suddenly people are saying they wont do it lol.

First of all...I've heard that if you are online...when you are playing 3D you can see change in boards around the pitch (downloading new advertisement while you are playing). I don't know is it true, but if it is...I don't like it at all. I don't care for their advertisement.

Yes but there's an easy way around it even if you can't turn it off ingame... block it on your firewall. won't affect the game.

The second thing I don't like is that If I want to reinstall system for example (very often, few times a year)...I have to unistall game first. Imagine if all have such policies, so that you have to manually uninstall 100 programs for example. Also, when you install again, you again have to authenticate.

I get ya, but I personally don't have any other programs that require it and I can't imagine most people have many, so for now it's not a major inconvenience, and as it's the first outing for it I imagine future versions will probably begin to address the issue. Right now I don't think that's a major issue cos all programs aren't like that :)

And last, if it's true that you don't have to have CD and that you don't have to be online ever after first authetication, the most obvious thing that will happen is that 5 people will bought one game, cause SI can't know who is playing FM if people are not online (and if they are, they don't have legal rights to see what people are doing on their computers). The better anty-piracy measure is to have CD in drive.

One of the reasons I've been trying to say SI are actually being very generous with this. One of the problems is that in the past they've used Securom to do this and recently Securom has been getting into a lot of bother about the way it's been going about things - some recent versions have required authentication every 10 days, another example is the Spore fiasco.

But that said as far as illegal usage goes Securom has also in the past been very easily broken - for example if you copied the FM disk and mounted it in Daemon Tools, selected Securom emulation then you wouldn't need the disk... frankly if you're gonna use it illegally there's not a whole lot stopping you with Securom - there is at least a little bit more in the authentication process. But it'll be cracked - and people who want it illegally will sadly get it. It's the way of the world right now for gaming, films and music.

...and one more thing. If I understand it right, everytime you install game, you have to authenticate it. Well I installed some of my games even 10 times until now, whenever I want (for a few hours of enjoyement for example). Imagine if I have to authenticate every single one whenever I have wish to play it for one hour for example. Or if I want to play FM09 next year for couple of hours...and want to install it for several hours. Just thinking that I have to makea phonecall makes me very angry.

Don't uninstall it then ;) space is very very cheap these days.

Online authentication for me. FM is the only game I tend to buy on PC so it's not worth me using Steam.

Im like you also!!! FM buying all the way. Like in all honestly its one of the only games out there

that is worth paying for. I rarely find a game great enough to spend money on constantly. Starcraft

and Diablo are up there. I bought the GTA Series and now FM. SUPPORT THE GAME PEOPLE!!!

Yes but there's an easy way around it even if you can't turn it off ingame... block it on your firewall. won't affect the game.

Yeah, but I don't want even to think that way, that I have to block something or not, I just don't want to see any more marketing after purchasing game.

I get ya, but I personally don't have any other programs that require it and I can't imagine most people have many, so for now it's not a major inconvenience, and as it's the first outing for it I imagine future versions will probably begin to address the issue. Right now I don't think that's a major issue cos all programs aren't like that :)

Yeah it's not big deal now and this really is a special game, but system is not good, cause everyone can do the same and then we'll have the problem...it's just stinks, sometimes I'm wondering how did they managed to make such decision.

One of the reasons I've been trying to say SI are actually being very generous with this. One of the problems is that in the past they've used Securom to do this and recently Securom has been getting into a lot of bother about the way it's been going about things - some recent versions have required authentication every 10 days, another example is the Spore fiasco.

But that said as far as illegal usage goes Securom has also in the past been very easily broken - for example if you copied the FM disk and mounted it in Daemon Tools, selected Securom emulation then you wouldn't need the disk... frankly if you're gonna use it illegally there's not a whole lot stopping you with Securom - there is at least a little bit more in the authentication process. But it'll be cracked - and people who want it illegally will sadly get it. It's the way of the world right now for gaming, films and music.

Actually I think it's easier to crack this system if there is no other protection. With mounting with Deamon Tools everybody have to have a CD at least.

+5 people can use one game (but personally I think that they did it on purpose, for example to encourage people in countries with lower standard to start to buy and thinking that in wealthier countries people will like to have their own game. Some kind of "price discrimination", I don't know how do you say that on English).

Don't uninstall it then ;) space is very very cheap these days.

Hehe, it's not about space, it's about reinstalling system every few months ;)

Some people like me still play older versions of FM. Are you sure that these people 5-10 years from now haven't used up all these 5 installs by forgetting to uninstall, hardware failure, etc. ?

What if 3 years from now SI is taken over by some other company that doesn't care about the old customers, and close down the activation servers?

All these things can potentially prevent me from playing a game that I have bought. That can't be right.

Then there's the fact that if someone has, as an example, 10 games installed that needs to be properly uninstalled, then reinstalling windows might easily take 50 minutes longer than it should. That can't be right. Who will compensate me for having to spend such a long time on some DRM stuff that I never asked for?

The only reason to cause costumers all this inconvenience and all these potential problems, is to try and stop piracy, which no DRM has ever managed to do anyway.

To be honest I think you are using far fetched examples to prove a point that doesn't need proving, it's all what ifs and you are using hypothetical scenarios just to have a reason to complain.

I put it down to people either not being able to deal with change, or simply being awkward for the sake of it. God forbid SI try to protect their hard work. You know very well there's a strong possibility that you won't run out of the 5 installs, as you only have to uninstall each time to get them back

The ad things supposed to be about realism, I mean the pitch'd look a bit bare without ad boards to be fair. I'm sure someone will mod it to remove them but as the default ads are just Sega, SI, WarChild and other charities I won't be too bothered by it personally.

My daemon tools example I was trying to hint without being too explicit but lets be honest if you use daemon tools for the game chances are you don't have the real cd you just have something off bittorrent ;)

I think for the rest we just have to wait and see what happens in 09 and future versions... which direction it goes in, we can't know right now and for now it doesn't seem all that bad to me at least. just gotta trust SI keep it going the right way in future :)

Does this mean that I have to have the same IP all the time? As I'm conected through a university network and that changes the IP every time I log in.

Not at all, you'll only have to be online with the game once, when you install and authenticate then you'll never have to hook it up again :)

Ok, i get that you can buy the disk, as i have already pre-ordered it. I get that you have to authenticate it which i will do, online.

But how can you play the game without the disc after that?

or is that only for Steam users?

Ok, i get that you can buy the disk, as i have already pre-ordered it. I get that you have to authenticate it which i will do, online.

But how can you play the game without the disc after that?

or is that only for Steam users?

You install the game, authenticate it once online, take DVD out the drive, and then click the FM09 icon and play whenever you want. Simple :)

You install the game, authenticate it once online, take DVD out the drive, and then click the FM09 icon and play whenever you want. Simple :)

Ok.... So whats peoples problem with that. Could it get any simpler.

I have to say SI get a Well done from me

Steam all the way.

Have had no problems with it since buying the orange box to pre play TF2. I think steam is great and the fact it has an offline mode and no need for a cd even better, if it was not for the exchange rate and taxes i would have bought fm2009 through steam

Not at all, you'll only have to be online with the game once, when you install and authenticate then you'll never have to hook it up again :)

Great then I love it, I hate to always have to remove my FM cd when I shoudl use my CD/DVD rom!

If you are talking to realism...I would rather preffer that they made effort to show us crowd than some marketing stuff ;)

I'm not sure what are you suggesting, but this and one other managerial game are the only one I'm prepared to pay for.

I think that this is step down when fighting piracy (in case this is only measure, but I don't think SI can leave it that way), but I wouldn't exclude option that this is marketing (price discrimination) and that SI (SEGA) is traying to attract more people to buy one game who wouldn't buy game in normal circumstances ;)

you can activate it on another computer...and use 1 of the installs on the pc you will be playing it with....thats what i need to do coz i wont be playing the game on the this computer i use for everyday use

I asked about that on the original "Demo and Specs" thread and was told by Miles id have to use the telephone option...

can someone explain to me what it means to authenticate the game? Sorry if that sounds totally dumb im still new to all the online stuff I just buy the game and play it as it is, all ive ever done online was download the patch 8.0.2 for fm08.

could someone give me a brief explanation please?

Archived