1. 1. How Will You Authenticate FM2009?

• STEAM
    • Online Authentication
    • Telephone Registration
    • Wont buy the game because of this new method

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
can someone explain to me what it means to authenticate the game? Sorry if that sounds totally dumb im still new to all the online stuff I just buy the game and play it as it is, all ive ever done online was download the patch 8.0.2 for fm08.

could someone give me a brief explanation please?

Essentially it's just proving you own the game when you install it - like the CD-keys you get on some games (not the same system but designed to do a similar job from the users perspective), we're told it'll be a quick and easy process and once it's done it's done.

This is gonna be fun in a couple of years if DRM isn't defeated and most games come with this little gift. Just think about all the hassle if you changed your graphics card and 20 of your games needed to be reauthorized. That's a lot of uninstalling, reinstalling, patching and trying to reach authentication servers, half of them being unreachable for some reason. If that is something that doesn't bother you then go ahead and buy those games. Personally I'm voting with my money and will only buy games that can be installed without some 3rd party having to give me permission first.

This is gonna be fun in a couple of years if DRM isn't defeated and most games come with this little gift. Just think about all the hassle if you changed your graphics card and 20 of your games needed to be reauthorized. That's a lot of uninstalling, reinstalling, patching and trying to reach authentication servers, half of them being unreachable for some reason. If that is something that doesn't bother you then go ahead and buy those games. Personally I'm voting with my money and will only buy games that can be installed without some 3rd party having to give me permission first.

Calm down! I've been building my own machines for about ten years, basically on a basis of upgrading them component by component, and I've always used the same copy of xp and office (it's within the licence as I'm the only use and they are only ever installed on one machine at one time). An even more recent example is that 2 weeks ago I replaced the RAM & DVD drive on my laptop... Vista didn't bat an eyelid. Upgrading components causes no problems unless you basically upgrade the whole machine. There's no reason to think that the authentification on FM2009 will be any different. Basically, unless you upgrade the mobo, CPU and HDD (in which case you would have to reinstall everything anyway!) then upgrading components really shouldn't be problem. :cool:

It seems to me that a lot of people have a moral/political/ethical opposition to DRM, and they are concocting arguements to try and state their case. I'd have a lot more sympathy if they just came right out and said "I hate DRM because it's a tool of corporate scumbags!" FWIW, I have an ipod, but don't buy from itunes because of the DRM (or if I do, I make an audio CD and then re-rip it to mp3). Apple. Worse than bloody Microsoft! :D

Archived